Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

cubix wrote: »
    Can anyone that is using Sumup confirm you need the pin reader to accept the CC payment over the phone or can you just input the CC details to your Sumup account which then sends the CC owner a notification they have paid X

Is Sumup the only real alternative at the moment for taking CC payments if your CC sales is quite low. Thanks

You can't take payments over the phone has to be face to face. We use stripe for phone payments it's a bit more expensive but it's very easy to use and no minimum amounts needed etc we probably only put a few hundred through a month its not something that crops up often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks, I suppose I should have been more clear. IF we send a payment request to a customer via their email or smart phone with a link where they click and pay do we still need the pin reader for that or can we just generate that in our Sumup account and send it to the customer.

Also how do people find their support as I have emailed them twice regarding same and nothing back as yet.

Thanks, I suppose I should have been more clear. IF we send a payment request to a customer via their email or smart phone with a link where they click and pay do we still need the pin reader for that or can we just generate that in our Sumup account and send it to the customer.

Also how do people find their support as I have emailed them twice regarding same and nothing back as yet.

Not sure if that is still possible I think they phased that out once the pin+ was introduced. A few weeks after I got the device the option to do that disappeared from the app it was annoying as it was one of the reasons I starting using them! I seem to remember it coming up earlier in this thread at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Have a look at www.dueio.com it might suit your needs

Are Stripe & Sumup offer all the same things/service bar what they charge for fees or do you need a pin reader for Stripe as well

• Advertisement

Are Stripe & Sumup offer all the same things/service bar what they charge for fees or do you need a pin reader for Stripe as well

Stripe is all done through a browser no device needed. You enter the card details into a payment screen on their site.

capefear wrote: »
    Have a look at www.dueio.com it might suit your needs

They use Stripe may as well just go direct.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jimmii wrote: »
    They use Stripe may as well just go direct.

Exactly what I was thinking, dueio looks like an unfinished startup at the moment. Not much in the way of contact/company details, no information about how it works, just a rather fluffy high-level explainer video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paynow&hl=en

Android App where you can accept payments over the phone or in person. It's free and you just pay the stripe charges as per normal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paynow&hl=en

Android App where you can accept payments over the phone or in person. It's free and you just pay the stripe charges as per normal

Would be wary of using a 3rd party app for stripe. Their site works fine for me on mobile anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭paul7g

SumUp looks great, however your customers / clients have to be with you in person in order to make a payment.

The same goes for just using Stripe, unless your customers / clients are willing to give you their credit card details over the phone, which opens up a lot of risks for you and your customers.

I notice that Dueio.com have a very useful system called a 'Bank Drop' which allows you to send your Dueio.com profile link to your customers so they can make a quick custom payment from their side. That is a great idea and it's something that Stripe should implement themselves.

Dueio.com are mainly an invoicing package too, which also looks very good.

There are a lot of other payment system popping up too, all powered by Stripe.

My only issue with Stripe is that i still think they are expensive.

paul7g wrote: »
    I notice that Dueio.com have a very useful system called a 'Bank Drop' which allows you to send your Dueio.com profile link to your customers so they can make a quick custom payment from their side. That is a great idea and it's something that Stripe should implement themselves.

It's a pity there's no explanation about how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭paul7g

It's explained on the home page, the features page and in the video on the how it works page :-) however i do agree, they should elaborate on it.

paul7g wrote: »
    It's explained on the home page, the features page and in the video on the how it works page :-) however i do agree, they should elaborate on it.

There's a really high level vague outline but nothing that resembles an explanation.

There's nothing that details how long it takes, where the money being transferred rests or whose accounts it passes through.

These are all things any sensible potential customer would want to know before entrusting the entire value of an invoice to an unknown (and un-named) 3rd party.

It looks like it could have potential but my initial impressions would be they are a product/service in the pre-launch stage.

Signed up and used Stripe for a payment request today. IT says it will take 7days for funds to land in the Bank account. Is Sumup the same, thanks

Signed up and used Stripe for a payment request today. IT says it will take 7days for funds to land in the Bank account. Is Sumup the same, thanks

In practice SumUp is a little quicker but only by a day or two.

Thanks, still going through stripe but how do you send a payment request from Stripe to a customers email or smart phone and they click on the link received and pay. As the payment today was card details given over the phone which was then entered into customer details which was setup on Stripe which then emailed the customer to say they had been charged X

Not sure I only ever use it for over the phone. If you click customer then create customer does it allow that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Finally signed up to stripe to process a payment. I actually did it through the dueio bank drop link and took the customers number over the phone, all very easy. But I noticed on the stripe dashboard there was a "create payment" option, maybe this would have done the same thing?

My brother said about using a SSL page on my site to get customers to make payments there, but I think most customers are happy enough to call out the number over the phone so I just did it this way.

I think dueio allows somebody to just direct a customer to the bankdrop page where they can input the number themselves without the need for an SSL page on your site, I'm not entirely sure but my brother said I'd have to do it through dueio for now as I'd need my site SSL'd before being able to do it with stripe direct, but maybe I could have just used the "create payment" option? I can see the advantage of using dueio where people just want to direct customers to a page where they don't have their own SSL or maybe they don't even have their own website at all. I'm just not sure if I even needed it this time :pac:

cormie wrote: »
    Finally signed up to stripe to process a payment. I actually did it through the dueio bank drop link and took the customers number over the phone, all very easy. But I noticed on the stripe dashboard there was a "create payment" option, maybe this would have done the same thing?

Yeh click create payment in the dashboard and it will have a pop up to enter the card details nice and easy and very quick. Takes a good while longer to hit your bank than in store card payments but its a handy option to have.

• Advertisement

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was just for testing or if it actually processed "real" transactions. So for me, there's no real need for SSL on my site, or no need for dueio either I guess. I can see where both of these would be advantageous to business owners, I just happen to be be someone who is communicating with every customer before they are even given a quote, so in the rare case where one actually wants to pay by card, doing it from the stripe dashboard over the phone is more than adequate and much easier than telling people to go to a URL to enter the details themselves.

Would be nice if it showed up a bit sooner in the bank account.

Pity sumup couldn't offer this at the reduced fee. I haven't used my sum up reader at all :o

There is a little switch on the top left where you can toggle between live and test just in case it is something you need to do. Yeh I would prefer if SumUp did it as well cheaper and quicker but I guess you can't have everything! I do hope they release an updated chip & pin though its just too sensitive for a lot of people and it probably needs to be a tad bigger to make it easier to handle.

What is the stripe process via dueio?

You need to enter your live stripe API into your dueio account and that's pretty much it. There's more options there for invoicing etc which I didn't really explore.

I then just made the payment through my own bankdrop page putting my own email in the field.

Anyone, feel free to make a few payments to test it out here: https://vantasks.dueio.com/ :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Just got SumUp working this week. Had an issue with the first terminal so it had to be replaced. I mainly use Stripe integrated with ZOHO Books. Find it really good but Dueio looks good too.

martyoo wrote: »
    Just got SumUp working this week. Had an issue with the first terminal so it had to be replaced. I mainly use Stripe integrated with ZOHO Books. Find it really good but Dueio looks good too.

I had to get one replaced recently too the card reader just packed in they were very quickly to send out a new one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

What do people recommend going if you have to support American Express? It seems only the traditional merchant gateways do it.

Unfortunately I have to offer due to customer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

They wont accept certain types of payments ie annual membership. Cant understand why as we started to use sum up for collecting annual scout membership fees but when I answered their security questions and sent them copies of 2 invoices this is what they came back with and said they couldn't accept any more payments .. seems ridiculous as they its legit and they are getting their commission !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I use sumup myself and for customer not present who are not tech say. And give me there cc details. In sumup I'll send a payment request to my own mobile and fill out the Webform with cc details and the payment is done customer not present payments. Simple

Just got this from Stripe:
    Hello,

Good news! We're lowering our prices for our European users, effective as of December 9th. There's no action necessary and we'll automatically apply the new price to your account.

Our new price for users in Ireland will be 1.40% + 25c for all European cards and 2.90% + 25c for all non-European cards.

As always, volume discounts apply to our larger users—please get in touch with us once you're processing more than 30,000EUR per month and we will provide a custom quote.

If you have any questions or feedback about this change (or Stripe in general), please let me know.

Thanks for using Stripe!

Mark

• Advertisement

Didn't get anything myself yet.

I assume that is 1.4% for Credit cards and 25c for Debit cards and not 1.4% + 25c because that would be awful!

Now if they just made the payouts as fast as others it would be perfect!

Advertisement