Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Meeting tonight in the mansion house at 6.30pm to try and get a lobby group together to lobby for Waterford re the potential down grading of the City , University staus etc. This is non political organisation , see http://www.facebook.com/WaterfordGivesAShirt?ref=stream
    For further details

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moved to Events Guide

Only kidding. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Will there be free shirts? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Meeting tonight in the mansion house at 6.30pm to try and get a lobby group together to lobby for Waterford re the potential down grading of the City , University staus etc. This is non political organisation , see http://www.facebook.com/WaterfordGivesAShirt?ref=stream
    For further details

Fair play, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

love the new web site & fb http://waterfordgivesashirt.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/WaterfordGivesAShirt
    “The Government has taken our jobs and given our money to the bankers. Now they want to rewrite 1100 years of history and take Waterford’s City status!!! Seeing as there’s nothing left to give… they may as well strip the shirts off our backs too!

A group of like minded people have come together with a tongue-in-cheek campaign to help highlight Waterford’s plight. We are asking the public to donate 50,000 shirts to the cause, one for every man, woman and child in the Waterford city area: a sort of petition with a difference.

Once we have collected all the shirts we will pull off a PR stunt and deliver a message to Leinster house letting them know that Waterford people have been stripped of their shirts.

We will then recycle the shirts and give the monies earned to a worthy local charity so it is a win win situation.

Please follow us on facebook and spread the word about us to your fellow Waterfordians.

If you want to donate a clean shirt to the cause please see the collection points link in the menu above.

We can make a difference together!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Merged with existing thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Everyone should do this. This could be a strong message to government, and should pick up national media coverage highlighting the ridiculous decisions being made regarding Waterford.

Great idea. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Why restrict it to Waterford, we are from Kilkenny and would hate to see Waterford downgraded, put something on Kilkenny city Forum.
    We do not have a government we have bunch of bandits, much the same as the previous mob who should have been tried for running the country into the ground.
    Support Waterford City and give it proper university status.
    Good luck

One of our local TDs released a statement on the merger last night. Paudie Coffey TD (Fine Gael, if you don't know :)). People here may find it interesting seeing as it ties into the campaign.
    Waterford City and County Councils

To clarify my position on this issue please read the following:-

I expect that there will be an announcement made within next week or so in respect of a radical overhaul of local government in Ireland. This will have an obvious impact on local government in Waterford and how it operates. There has been much talk in recent weeks of the possible implications for Waterford, and I have been asked what my position on the matter is.

I want to put on record the clear and strong representations that I have made directly to Minister Hogan and his officials in the Department of the Environment about any possible impact on Waterford as a result of this overall local government reform package.

There are currently 65 Councillors in Waterford, A City Council, A County Council, three Town Councils, five Mayors and five Deputy Mayors. This government before the last general election promised reform in local government and this is being delivered, but it must be done in a way that does not diminish a City like Waterford.

I hope the points I make below clarifies my position in this respect. I have been engaged with Minister Hogan (along with ther Waterford Public representatives) and his officials in a consistent dialogue and I am very confident that the Strong historical and cultural traditions of Waterford City and that the traditional office of Mayor will be preserved in any reform proposed for Waterford Local Authorities. This in fact was a clear term of reference for the independent working group requested to compile a report on an amalgamation in Waterford.

I wish also to point out the fact that Opposition parties and independents who have suddenly become excercised about this issue and are now opposing it had ample opportunity to bring Minister Hogan and his officials before the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Environment over the past few months to question them on their intentions regarding Local Government Reform with specific attention to Waterford.

This is an opportunity they never exploited or requested and therefore failed in what I believe is a neglect of their duties as public representatives in opposition -

Yours sincerely,

Paudie CoffeyTD

I wish to again reiterate my following viewpoints and my position on any possible amalgamation of Waterford Local Authorities:-

1. That Waterford’s historic City Status be protected in any amalgamation that may be proposed

2. That Waterford City’s Status as the Gateway City for the region not be diminished in any way, rather it should be enhanced to stimulate growth and development in the City and Region

3. That there be only one Mayor in any new configuration and that office should be based in the new administration’s HQ in Waterford City

4. That any reformed electoral areas have their own individual operational committees, consisting of elected representatives and senior council staff with the Chairman elected by the public representatives

5. That administration and services are retained in the existing council offices in Dungarvan to service Mid and West County Waterford.

6. Where reform might mean a reduced number of elected representatives I believe that the role and powers of the elected councillors should be enhanced in any new configuration.

Whilst I recognise the need for new efficiencies and public service delivery, I understand that cost savings and a more accountable, efficient local government system is required, with a more cohesive and co-ordinated voice for the Citizens of Waterford.

Paudie Coffey TD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Thank you, it did enlighten me on what was taking place, however from a Kilkenny standpoint Minister Hogan is not held in high regard within the county, as you will be aware the foolhardy application of the household charge, whilst it is recognised we need to raise revenue, the fact that only one portion of the electorate is being forced to carry the burden.
    The house owner who in most cases has struggled to provide shelter for his or her family is now paying for those who sat back and obtained council accomodation.
    One of course presumes they will benefit from the local services, would they not, and where does the money come from for the renovation and running repairs of such property?
    I wish the campaign all success and let's hope we can get local councillors who are not milkling the gravy train for all it is worth.

• Advertisement

The campaign is fruitless IMO. Its focusing on issues that don't appear to be a reality in the pipeline. There are bigger political issues that are factual that we could address but instead we are bringing attention on an issue that was never on the pipeline. Its mostly about saving the City status.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I haven't heard anything about Waterford City losing there City status , what are they on about ?

I haven't heard anything about Waterford City losing there City status , what are they on about ?

The legislation first sets out the cities of Ireland. It then goes onto set out the different type of councils they have. Its not fit for purpose for a merger and there is a fear that without a City Council we wont be a city.

My understanding and on checking with some legal eagles (though they are only just qualified) is that even without a City Council, Waterford is still a City because its defined on its own without a requirement.

What it would mean, I suspect, if the councils were merged and nothing new defined, and of course this could never happen, would be that we wouldn't have any type of council here as there is no definition in legislation as to the type of council a merger would be. I'm not sure how the existing Council Definitions could still stand for Waterford.

Legislation would need to be adjusted to cater for this. It would need to be defined as another type of a City Council in order for Waterford to be 'business as usual'.

The added fear is that Phil Hogan hates Wateford so much that he will leave out the City Powers in the new definition. Basically, everyone is scared Hogan will use this to screw Waterford (long outstanding fear because of his passion for the City next to us).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I suggest that a few years back.

Lols.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61295648

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Have you been living under a rock man?! :p

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/no-more-‘urbs-intacta-manet’/

http://cllrmaryroche.blogspot.ie/2012/10/more-on-waterford-citycounty-proposed.html

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2012/10/10/waterford-gives-a-shirt/

In your defense, nothing concrete has been released that I can see, so it may just be rumours. Nonetheless, the 'shirt' campaign may give Waterford some national coverage that we need. Hopefully in a positive light obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Also, downgrading Waterford could play into the hands of that swine Hogan who would, no doubt, push to have Kilkenny town recognised as the Gateway to the South East region. Parochial, small minded, stroke politics seemingly being his m.o.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Merging city and county councils doesn't mean that the place doesn't have to be known as Waterford City, seems alot of people are just being paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Merging city and county councils doesn't mean that the place doesn't have to be known as Waterford City, seems alot of people are just being paranoid
    I'm more worried about the effect this will have on the city. The county council is running a massive deficit and city council isn't exactly flush. These 2 pots combined added with the infighting that is guaranteed to occur is going to be detrimental to services & maintenance around the city while only fractionally increasing the rest of the county. Nothing about this is in the cities interest

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm more worried about the effect this will have on the city. The county council is running a massive deficit and city council isn't exactly flush. These 2 pots combined added with the infighting that is guaranteed to occur is going to be detrimental to services & maintenance around the city while only fractionally increasing the rest of the county. Nothing about this is in the cities interest

City is nothing without the county though,

Think of the amount of people that may work in the city but actually live in the county. Services are important in the county as well.

You can just think to hell with the county with its problems and just look after the city, its very short sighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Waterford City at the moment has an enterprise board and the area partnership etc, with their own funding if we become a county municipality all these will be merged and the money will not follow, so we will lose out on that front, Galway is not being merged , why is that one wonders?, maybe the Mayo man next door does not want the west woken up?
    This is a downgrading of Waterford City no doubt about it, it will lose its rate base and its ability to control its own destiny, we have been on here lauding the City council about how good they have been in recent years collecting the litter strewn all over our by roads on a daily basis, do you think this will continue if the control of this is on a county wide basis?
    Wake up guys before it is too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Whats needed is a massive protest on the streets , along the lines of the pensioners protest outside the dail a while ago. If enough people show on the street the politicians will always give in.

bullpost wrote: »
    Whats needed is a massive protest on the streets , along the lines of the pensioners protest outside the dail a while ago. If enough people show on the street the politicians will always give in.

Good luck with that,
    Unlike pensioners the average joe doesn't give a monkeys and lacks the time and the life experience to care all that much, I would have thought that was clear by now.

The sad fact is an awful lot of people actually don't care about stuff unless they see it affecting them directly straight away, the very fact people litter in the city they live in basically proves they don't give a crap about the place, how it looks, the money it takes to clean up their mess, how other people see the place etc...awful shame really. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I understand it better now thanks . But does this mean there will be just a Waterford county forum if it happens and this one gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I understand it better now thanks . But does this mean there will be just a Waterford county forum if it happens and this one gone?

:D I tip my hat to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Any sources that link Phil pushing for an upgrade for kilkenny to full city status while trying to downgrade waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hijpo wrote: »
    Any sources that link Phil pushing for an upgrade for kilkenny to full city status while trying to downgrade waterford?

http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie/D/0550/D.0550.200203200346.html

Here he asks for city status for Kilkenny.
    Taken from gives a shirt Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

so did anyone post a pic of themselves with the I gave my shirt for waterford on their facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sully wrote: »
    Legislation would need to be adjusted to cater for this. It would need to be defined as another type of a City Council in order for Waterford to be 'business as usual'.
    He could make the change to the legislation though, couldn't he?

Even if Waterford doesn't lose its city status (which I don't think will happen), the city not having its own council is a downgrading, but then, it's happening in Limerick too, but they are still in the middle of the merging process so we don't know how exactly this will play out.

Scrap the town councils in Waterford by all means, but I don't see why he wants to merge the city and county councils in Waterford and Limerick, but seemingly no other mergers are on the cards for anywhere else, and with Hogan's reputation it's no wonder people are being paranoid.

One other thing that gives reason for worry is that it appears Hogan has decided to merge the councils without any proper study done on the cost savings it's supposed to achieve.

The new council will be HQ'd in the city, it's impossible to think otherwise. I also think the city's mayoralty will be protected.

They need to publish that independent report so we can see what the committee had to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Cabaal wrote: »
    City is nothing without the county though,

Think of the amount of people that may work in the city but actually live in the county. Services are important in the county as well.

You can just think to hell with the county with its problems and just look after the city, its very short sighted.

You have this the wrong way around.The county is nothing without the City.The Urban centres are the economic drivers and most of the county ( even without the city) lives closer to Waterford than Dungarvan. It's not about saying to hell with the county.It's about preserving the strengths of the city that the county also benefits from,from the corrupt and dubious planning practices of the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

thomasm wrote: »
    http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie/D/0550/D.0550.200203200346.html

Here he asks for city status for Kilkenny.
    Taken from gives a shirt Facebook page

cheers, i was looking for something a bit more recent. Hell probably wait until this merger goes through, if it goes through.

Advertisement