Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

7upfree wrote: »
    It's parish pump politics. No two ways about it. Whatever way you try to dress it up.

I've said it on the Kilkenny City & County forum so I'll say it here, first off the whole parish pump politics thing is your claim...nothing more,

Second off if it is then it also exists in every single government in every single other country in the world, you think a congressman gets voted for in the states and then does nothing that benefits his own area? Of course not! He/She would never get voted in again if they didn't do something of benefit for the locals.

Its not something specific to Ireland or Kilkenny, it happens in the UK, USA, France, etc etc.

Waterford had its benefits in the past with the likes of Martin Cullen (yeah yeah you can say he did nothing but bottom line is he did do somethings), but now perhaps its a case of voting in some TD's that have more influence and an interest in doing some real leg work other then appearing in photo ops or going onto TV3 morning shows.

Even when Waterford does get money its spending it on silly things like painting some un-needed lines on a perfectly good road and calling it a cycle route that will apparently be a big tourism benefit.
    :rolleyes:

Once again though, there's no point arguing here....bottom line is if a FG TD in Waterford got something of benefit for the county or city then you wouldn't be claiming party pump politics, you'd be saying how good it is etc

Just to be clear, I didn't vote for FG or Labour in the last election so don't go swinging that silly paranoid remark around.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Cabaal 7upfree is a conspiracy theorist, and quite a militant and aggressive one at that, even if it is just from the comforts of her computer. No amount of common sense that you speak will change her opinion that Waterford gets nothing, and every other county gets everything.

It's cringeworthy reading some of her posts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Cabaal 7upfree is a conspiracy theorist, and quite a militant and aggressive one at that, even if it is just from the comforts of her computer. No amount of common sense that you speak will change her opinion that Waterford gets nothing, and every other county gets everything.

It's cringeworthy reading some of her posts tbh.

Of course I am. Maybe I'm just a realist who's gullibly not swallowing the lies hook, line, and sinker.:) The old cringeworthy remark. Usually thrown out when nerves are struck. Or reality bites. And you won't admit it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've said it on the Kilkenny City & County forum so I'll say it here, first off the whole parish pump politics thing is your claim...nothing more,

Second off if it is then it also exists in every single government in every single other country in the world, you think a congressman gets voted for in the states and then does nothing that benefits his own area? Of course not! He/She would never get voted in again if they didn't do something of benefit for the locals.

Its not something specific to Ireland or Kilkenny, it happens in the UK, USA, France, etc etc.

Waterford had its benefits in the past with the likes of Martin Cullen (yeah yeah you can say he did nothing but bottom line is he did do somethings), but now perhaps its a case of voting in some TD's that have more influence and an interest in doing some real leg work other then appearing in photo ops or going onto TV3 morning shows.

Even when Waterford does get money its spending it on silly things like painting some un-needed lines on a perfectly good road and calling it a cycle route that will apparently be a big tourism benefit.

Once again though, there's no point arguing here....bottom line is if a FG TD in Waterford got something of benefit for the county or city then you wouldn't be claiming party pump politics, you'd be saying how good it is etc

Just to be clear, I didn't vote for FG or Labour in the last election so don't go swinging that silly paranoid remark around.

My my. And you call ME paranoid?!:D

I have no problem with Hogan swinging stuff for KK As long as it doesn't affect this City. Yo seem to have no problem with it though. Are you FROM KK by any chance?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have no problem with Hogan swinging stuff for KK As long as it doesn't affect this City.

Great so given the A&E improvements don't affect Waterford thats great.

If such changes did have an affect though does that work the other way around?, would you oppose them if they affected somewhere else?

If for example in the morning the gov decided to increase the resources in WRH and close the hospital in Kilkenny would you be against the changes/improvements/extra jobs to the WRH?

Honest answers only now please :pac:
    Yo seem to have no problem with it though.

Where exactly did I say I had no problem with it?...care to quote the sentence?

I pointed out that the whole parish pump politics thing is only your claim and even "if" we read into it then I gave an example that it exists throughout every government and country in the world.

Reading into it further shows the mistakes Waterford may have made when it voted for certain TD's....who have no interest in real leg work,

I never said it actually was parish pump politics though :)

The A&E in Kilkenny needs improvements, anyone who's ever been in it would clearly be aware of this so improvements are welcomed the same as improvements to any hospital would be as they will benefit people that use the services.....but the A&E improvements are not coming at a cost to WRH.

The A&E is far more centrally located then WRH is for people in the Carlow/Kilkenny and can even be of use to people in parts of Tipp, Laois, Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I see you're still coming over here with your claims of paranoia.It just shows your serious lack of factual evidence. The parish punp politics has also been claimed in the national media.This is a fact. Reilly and Hogan had a meeting and the apparent result is Kilkenny was jumped ahead of more deprived areas for Primary Care facilities.This fact was put to you before and you have conveniently forgotten. I wonder why?

Try reading something other than the KK people or listening to something other than KCLR. The country is experiencing the worst crisis since its establishment in 1922. It isn't business as usual. The government wa not elected to deliver Pork.It had a mandate for change and within less than two years it already is more notorious than FF and because of who? Martin Cullen?:D

Perhaps but it is seldom as flagrant or it would be on a truley grand scale in those countries.

Incorrect Waterford has what Kilkenny hasn't i.e. one of the states major population centres and by far the largest in the region.It is also the centre of all the major road and transport links in the region. It also the intersecting point of the most densely populated part of the region.And in the long term any long term largesse delivered to Kilkenny that was unjustified will have to be reversed and relocated to be effective and someone else in KK will be paying the price down the road. As for Ciara Conway.How the hell were we to know she was going to try and launch a media career once she got elected. This has nothing to do with anything and smacks of your desperation to try and find some relevant point.

600K. Quick tell John McGuinness.

Maybe or perhaps that is where "something good" should be located due to it being the best place to put it so it will benefit the most people.

Says you but "Big Phill looks after his own" and shafts everone else. But if North KK gets their thirty pieces of silver shure its ok.

Try reading something other than the KK people or listening to something other than KCLR.

Don't read the Kilkenny People as I dislike the way it reports on the rest of the county, I've not listed to KCLR or whatever it was called years ago since I was in primary school and I wanted to know if the school would be closed due to snow :pac:

You might want to stop assuming stuff about me,

(Waterford) It is also the centre of all the major road and transport links in the region.

Is it?
    Kilkenny has three good roads linking it to the M9, none of which have tolls

Waterford has access through the city which the council don't want truckers using, the other means of access is via a toll bridge which nobody wants to pay for. Not exactly attractive to a business wanting to setup in the IDA is it?

Waterford aiport isn't attractive and is loosing routes, it was also cheaper to fly from Dublin or Cork before these routes were lost.

As for Ciara Conway.How the hell were we to know she was going to try and launch a media career once she got elected. This has nothing to do with anything and smacks of your desperation to try and find some relevant point.

I'm merely poking fun at a TD who should be actually doing some meaningful work instead she doesn't appear to be doing anything meaningful.

Great so given the A&E improvements don't affect Waterford thats great.

If such changes did have an affect though does that work the other way around?, would you oppose them if they affected somewhere else?

If for example in the morning the gov decided to increase the resources in WRH and close the hospital in Kilkenny would you be against the changes/improvements/extra jobs to the WRH?

Honest answers only now please :pac:

Where exactly did I say I had no problem with it?...care to quote the sentence?

I pointed out that the whole parish pump politics thing is only your claim and even "if" we read into it then I gave an example that it exists throughout every government and country in the world.

Reading into it further shows the mistakes Waterford may have made when it voted for certain TD's....who have no interest in real leg work,

I never said it actually was parish pump politics though :)

The A&E in Kilkenny needs improvements, anyone who's ever been in it would clearly be aware of this so improvements are welcomed the same as improvements to any hospital would be as they will benefit people that use the services.....but the A&E improvements are not coming at a cost to WRH.

The A&E is far more centrally located then WRH is for people in the Carlow/Kilkenny and can even be of use to people in parts of Tipp, Laois, Wexford.

Have to give it to Fuzzy. He said it better than I ever could. Now, as for honest answers: are you from KK? That's a yes/no BTW.....

Don't read the Kilkenny People as I dislike the way it reports on the rest of the county, I've not listed to KCLR or whatever it was called years ago since I was in primary school and I wanted to know if the school would be closed due to snow :pac:

You might want to stop assuming stuff about me,

Well Well. Parochialism is blind l as well as parochial. It's hard to believe you actually posted this. It goes to show how deeply ingrained the mindset is. I don't why I should be surprised. I have heard KK people from Urlingford complain about all the money being in the South of the County but I see the narrow thinking is not confined to a few.

Is it?
    Kilkenny has three good roads linking it to the M9, none of which have tolls

Waterford has access through the city which the council don't want truckers using, the other means of access is via a toll bridge which nobody wants to pay for. Not exactly attractive to a business wanting to setup in the IDA is it?

Waterford aiport isn't attractive and is loosing routes, it was also cheaper to fly from Dublin or Cork before these routes were lost.

Yes it is.Take away the toll bridge and the Airport and all the transport links and National routes between the urban centres in the region radiate from Waterford. Cork,Limerick and Dublin are connected to the city by primary routes.And the toll and airport are straw men arguements an your part.All the other Mways have two tolls and the inter urban is Waterford/Dublin.As for truckers not wanting to pay tolls.How is different than anywhere else? If anything it is a non issue compared to other places.You have a habit of ignoring inconvenient truths.

I'm merely poking fun at a TD who should be actually doing some meaningful work instead she doesn't appear to be doing anything meaningful.

Again what has it to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its absolutely sickening reading the bigoted moronic comments that are coming out of some people on this board lately.People want other counties to get behind Waterford and help in some way, yet there's a small group of people that would begrudge their neighbours something that will SAVE lives.The only way to stand up to any government is by being united. Having your nose put out cause some one gets something and you don't is childish and leads to greater divisions. Its not people in Kilkenny that are taking something away from Waterford by getting something.
    Reading some of the comments here really sadden me.Its a really poor reflection on Waterford.(Not saying that 1 or 2 idiots uneducated opinions are similar to the majority of Waterford but for others it can look that way) There's is no point even arguing with most of these people cause its evident that they are too stupid and ignorant to be reasoned with. I'd suggest instead of whining and blaming every one around the country , you'd be better off spending less time on the internet stalking mods and repeating the same unhelpful catchphrases,and in your free time actually get involved with a group to actually try and really help the county. Otherwise stop posting your pointless embittered bigoted responses to people that are trying to give a well rounded view of events.

• Advertisement

Meatwad wrote: »
    Its absolutely sickening reading the bigoted moronic comments that are coming out of some people on this board lately.People want other counties to get behind Waterford and help in some way, yet there's a small group of people that would begrudge their neighbours something that will SAVE lives.The only way to stand up to any government is by being united. Having your nose put out cause some one gets something and you don't is childish and leads to greater divisions. Its not people in Kilkenny that are taking something away from Waterford by getting something.
    Reading some of the comments here really sadden me.Its a really poor reflection on Waterford.(Not saying that 1 or 2 idiots uneducated opinions are similar to the majority of Waterford but for others it can look that way) There's is no point even arguing with most of these people cause its evident that they are too stupid and ignorant to be reasoned with. I'd suggest instead of whining and blaming every one around the country , you'd be better off spending less time on the internet stalking mods and repeating the same unhelpful catchphrases,and in your free time actually get involved with a group to actually try and really help the county. Otherwise stop posting your pointless embittered bigoted responses to people that are trying to give a well rounded view of events.

Before you get too carried away calling anyone bigoted remember who sent a letter to his constituents assuring them that no travellers would be moving into their area. And which regional newspaper ran a front page story anout about how many travellers were living in Kilkenny. So frankly you of all people are in no position to be calling anyone bigoted. I will give you a clue it was the same politician who sold out the South East Hospital network including half of Kilkenny to ensure his own career and constituemcy is "looked after". And it is the same newspaper that told you " St Lukes is safe" on behalf of Big Phil.

But ask yourself this.Is their life after Phil? When Phil is retired on his fat pension and St Lukes is tacked on to some Dublin Hospital do you honestly believe St Lukes will be saved in perpetuity.Will it ****! As soon is it is convenient it will be downgraded and its budget absorbed into the Dublin parent.Even the consultants in St Lukes that aren't mé feiners know this and is why they are against it. Phil Hogan is buying you with crumbs. And the saving lives routine is Hogwash.It will cost lives because services in the region as a whole will be reduced. It will cost lives in Waterford and Wexford. If this doesn't bother you it will cost lives in Kilkenny as well north and south.

As for the whining 20000 did get up and do something last weekend or did you miss that? A lot of them were from Kilkenny too I've no doubt you've missed that! And make no mistake the sellout that this government is implementing will not go ahead and if it does it will be reversed.We did something Kilkenny/Carlow did not do.We erased our constituency of Fianna Fail.We can do the same with FG and Labour. And don;t think South KK can't do the same in support because Waterford is "their town" and WRH is their hospital. So the Question for FG/Labour is are Phil Hogans indulgences worth two or three seats.:pac:

BTW I noticed your back seat moderation went uncommented on.Interesting!

No - we'll leave that to their public representative, who has Waterford firmly in his sights. There are more than enough 'bigoted, moronic comments' pointed in Waterford city's direction - and have been for years. What was that stunt around the time of the proposed boundary extension? Black and amber knickers or something? This is the real problem. Boundaries drawn around GAA lines. Something which some idiots cannot get out of their thick skulls.

Hmmm. You love that word bigoted. Have you even stopped to think we are trying to protect ourselves - from gombeen politicians? Maybe even the stupid and ignorant ones? And their supporters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Politicians sit back and count their money and plan for the future and their countless holidays and pensions, and all they have to do is pretend they care about their consitituents. Surely nobody would fall for that trap......<reads all political based comments>.

Oh.

Q.E.D.

QED Indeed:rolleyes:

QED Indeed:rolleyes:
    +1 TO THAT.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Looking at the kilkenny people article that was linked to, JP Phelan (a FGer) said
    "I won’t be supporting any move to change the acute status of Waterford Regional Hospital. I will not condone any moves that will negatively impact on the health services available to and necessary for the people of the south east at Waterford Regional Hospital.

“I have met with the Health Minister on a number of occasions in the past number of weeks and I have made my views and those of the community here known to him. The acute status of Waterford Regional Hospital must be maintained and I will not countenance any cuts to critical cancer, orthopaedic and other critical services at WRH".

I am not a FG supporter, but I don't see how this statement by a FGer is compatible with some people's views here on how FG are trying to undermine and downgrade WRH, in order to bolster St Lukes.

I also cannot understand the vehemence shown towards Kilkenny or KK people either. You do realise that a huge swathe of KK people (south KK in particular) consider Waterford to be their default "city", as they work there, shop there, get their healthcare there in the hospital, socialise there etc. Lots of Kilkenny people are fully supportive of maintaining the status of WRH, and are hoping and trying, along with Waterford city folks, to build the city back up regarding all problems (unemployment, healthcare, education, etc) so that they and their kids have some hope of a future here in the region.

If we had less fighting between ourselves as neighbours, and more standing in solidary to protect what little we all have left, we might fare better. I'm from South KK originally, and consider Waterford to be "my" city. I am married to a Waterford man, I lived and worked in the city for 10 years, and consider Waterford the place around which my life revolved for the past 30+. I get my healthcare in Waterford, in fact I was born in Ardkeen :P

It always saddens me to see how some Waterford people seem to hold such anger and vehemence towards their neighbours, as any Kilkenny person I know has nothing but good things to say about the city, they support the businesses and charities there (and they are all as saddened as any city born-and-bred folks to see how far we have all fallen in this shambles of a downturn).

Perhaps we should stop the mudslinging, forget about whatever perceived ridiculous "GAA borders" or other parochial nonsense some seem to be ranting about, and work together to get our region off it's knees. The whole of the South East region is being affected by these resoundingly idiotic costcutting political notions, not just the city centre and immediate environs.

Oh and as Phil Hogan is a persona non-grata on this thread; let me assure you, he's not much wanted by a lot of KK people either (I don't think you'll find too many people are very happy at the thoughts of the household tax, septic tank charges, etc.).

echosound wrote: »
    Looking at the kilkenny people article that was linked to, JP Phelan (a FGer) said
    "I won’t be supporting any move to change the acute status of Waterford Regional Hospital. I will not condone any moves that will negatively impact on the health services available to and necessary for the people of the south east at Waterford Regional Hospital.

“I have met with the Health Minister on a number of occasions in the past number of weeks and I have made my views and those of the community here known to him. The acute status of Waterford Regional Hospital must be maintained and I will not countenance any cuts to critical cancer, orthopaedic and other critical services at WRH".

I am not a FG supporter, but I don't see how this statement by a FGer is compatible with some people's views here on how FG are trying to undermine and downgrade WRH, in order to bolster St Lukes.

I also cannot understand the vehemence shown towards Kilkenny or KK people either. You do realise that a huge swathe of KK people (south KK in particular) consider Waterford to be their default "city", as they work there, shop there, get their healthcare there in the hospital, socialise there etc. Lots of Kilkenny people are fully supportive of maintaining the status of WRH, and are hoping and trying, along with Waterford city folks, to build the city back up regarding all problems (unemployment, healthcare, education, etc) so that they and their kids have some hope of a future here in the region.

If we had less fighting between ourselves as neighbours, and more standing in solidary to protect what little we all have left, we might fare better. I'm from South KK originally, and consider Waterford to be "my" city. I am married to a Waterford man, I lived and worked in the city for 10 years, and consider Waterford the place around which my life revolved for the past 30+. I get my healthcare in Waterford, in fact I was born in Ardkeen :P

It always saddens me to see how some Waterford people seem to hold such anger and vehemence towards their neighbours, as any Kilkenny person I know has nothing but good things to say about the city, they support the businesses and charities there (and they are all as saddened as any city born-and-bred folks to see how far we have all fallen in this shambles of a downturn).

Perhaps we should stop the mudslinging, forget about whatever perceived ridiculous "GAA borders" or other parochial nonsense some seem to be ranting about, and work together to get our region off it's knees. The whole of the South East region is being affected by these resoundingly idiotic costcutting political notions, not just the city centre and immediate environs.

Oh and as Phil Hogan is a persona non-grata on this thread; let me assure you, he's not much wanted by a lot of KK people either (I don't think you'll find too many people are very happy at the thoughts of the household tax, septic tank charges, etc.).

Just a couple of points:

It is great to see an outlook like yours coming from south KK. Sadly, just as you have met people with nothing but good to say about the city, it is the opposite in my case.

I have said for a long time that more support is needed in the area for issues that affect the area.

Look at the West. They are the benchmark
    in this. The boundaries which you des tube as "perceived" are quite real. Look at what happened when a boundary extension was proposed from Waterfors City. A boundary extension which would have allowed to develop radially as in most civilised countries.

What did we get? Politicians from south KK wearing "black and amber knickers"'as they themselves described it. There is a deep hatred, mistrust, and jealousy of the City amongst certain south KK residents - and, as you have said, it is reciprocated - with good reason. One woman on a recent local radio programme who lives adjacent to te City claimed she travels to Kilkenny for her weekly shop.

So while much of what you say is admirable and I would be supportive of the thrust of it, please don't come on here and try to paint Waterfordians as the guilty party - there are many on both sides.

And at the root of it is those "perceived" boundaries that you claim do not exist. And I'm not a GAA supporter myself. Until people move past these then nothing will change.

If there were true cooperation you would not have seen constants in Kilkenny choosing to align themselves to St. James. I have also heard (I would like someone to clarify this if possible) that certain lab tests from Kilkennt which could be carried out in Waterford are send to Dublin instead.

And that's support and cooperation?

It's nice to see you acknowledge that WRH is your hospital.That is the point we have been making here.I have said it here and in the Kilkenny forum that this plan with regarding hospitals is a betrayal of Waterford and Kilkenny. But the thing that puzzles me is this. Why do more Kilkenny People who post here from the South not argue this on the Kilkenny Forum? It seems for the most part that it is left to Waterford City posters to argue this on your behalf. Have a look at the thread started over there and look at the purile nonsense that gets posted as retorts to Waterford assertions.Justified assertions which have proven to be true. Likewise for Phil Hogan. Whenever the next election is Waterford people cannot vote fo him good bad or indifferent.However there is very little evidence that the people in South Kilkenny will vote strategically with Waterfords interests.

One woman on a recent local radio programme who lives adjacent to te City claimed she travels to Kilkenny for her weekly shop.

And that is fine in my eyes - I see the SE region as a whole - Waterford, Kilkenny, South Tipp, Wexford and parts of Carlow, although many in North Carlow/North Wex would naturally look towards Dublin as it's much of a muchness to travel there as to any other large centre of population, and given Dublin is the capital of Ireland, stands to reason people would go there for more choice. People in West Waterford will often travel to Cork as again, there's more choice there, and it's within decent striking distance when you live near to Dungarvan/Youghal etc. You can't insist everyone travels to Waterford and Waterford alone to do their shopping, when people are to the pin of their collar and are looking to maximise their purchasing power.

I personally shop locally within the SE region, Waterford being my main centre for almost EVERYTHING, with Carrick on Suir and perhaps the odd time Clonmel thrown in for good measure. I do know a lot of people (Waterford city folks included, by the way) choose to go to KK city as to be perfectly honest, there is more choice there with regards shopping - and ease of shopping - for many. Waterford is turning into a ghost town, I guess we can all agree on that.
    I really wish Waterford had the same going for it, as I rarely make the trip to Kilkenny city myself (barring taxing the car) and spend most of what little money I have in Waterford.
    So while much of what you say is admirable and I would be supportive of the thrust of it, please don't come on here and try to paint Waterfordians as the guilty party - there are many on both sides.

And at the root of it is those "perceived" boundaries that you claim do not exist. And I'm not a GAA supporter myself. Until people move past these then nothing will change.

This is exactly what I am saying - why are people in the SE region pointing fingers at each other instead of towards the Dail. So there are assholes on "both" sides, as you say. Fine. (Although I am still sighing at the use of "sides" at all, there should be just one side, the people of Ireland).

So ignore the minority of assholes and let the rest of us work together to make sure our region is one we can continue to have a decent life in. I get slagged all the time by Waterford folks for whatever reasons - coming over the bridge to take jobs (or menfolk!), winning the hurling, blah blah. Most of it good natured, some of it, to be honest, a little bit bitter. So what. I laugh at the good natured stuff and ignore the bitter ones. Idiots abound, best to smile and nod and move on and not let it ruffle you (I don't even follow hurling and the odd time I do pay any attention is actually when Waterford are doing well :)).
    It's nice to see you acknowledge that WRH is your hospital.That is the point we have been making here.I have said it here and in the Kilkenny forum that this plan with regarding hospitals is a betrayal of Waterford and Kilkenny. But the thing that puzzles me is this. Why do more Kilkenny People who post here from the South not argue this on the Kilkenny Forum? It seems for the most part that it is left to Waterford City posters to argue this on your behalf.

WRH has been, and still is, my hospital. I was born there. I have been treated there for various issues, and hope to continue to be treated there should I have any health issues arise. I do not want to see any downgrading in any shape or form. That is not in any doubt. I include myself in your "we". I do not see myself as "other". I do not define myself as South KK alone, I identify with KK, Waterford and South Tipp, as I carry out all functions of my life in this part of the country.

The reason I personally post in Waterford city forum and not KK (and if you check back through my posts you'll probably see that I don't post often in general, and when I do, it's always to waterford and not to kilkenny) is that to be perfectly honest, Waterford IS my centre of interest, it always was growing up, I used to love coming home to it on the bus from college in Dublin and seeing the lights on the quays as we came through Sallypark, I lived here for years, and while I don't live in the actual city anymore, I still view it as my city (and I have a lot of family living there) and am as concerned about what is happening to it as any Waterford person.

Heck, when I moved back out to South KK a few years ago, I watched the elections in Waterford with more interest than that of KK/Carlow, as I knew the candidates there and knew which ones I hoped would get in, and I had to go off and find out about the KK/Carlow candidates before elections came round (and I did not vote for Hogan).

I don't purport to speak for all of South KK, but I think you'll find that virtually everyone living in South KK does not want to see WRH or any health service in Waterford stripped away, as most of us would be patients of WRH (or Whitfield, or users of the Solas centre, Cheshire homes, etc). Everyone in South KK would be delighted to see WIT do well, as it means they or their kids might not have to leave the region to get educated (as I did at the time). Everyone in South KK would love to see businesses thrive in Waterford, as it would mean more jobs for everyone, more choice for everyone, and a city centre that was not deserted most of the week. County boundaries mean nothing, in my eyes.

This does not mean, by the way, that I am not happy to see St Lukes get any funding, even though I have never once used their services. I am happy to see any hospital getting much needed funding. Healthcare in this country is a shambles and the HSE are mismanaging at every step, so any funding that gets to frontline services is a big bonus in my view.

• Advertisement

And that is fine in my eyes - I see the SE region as a whole - Waterford, Kilkenny, South Tipp, Wexford and parts of Carlow, although many in North Carlow/North Wex would naturally look towards Dublin as it's much of a muchness to travel there as to any other large centre of population, and given Dublin is the capital of Ireland, stands to reason people would go there for more choice. People in West Waterford will often travel to Cork as again, there's more choice there, and it's within decent striking distance when you live near to Dungarvan/Youghal etc. You can't insist everyone travels to Waterford and Waterford alone to do their shopping, when people are to the pin of their collar and are looking to maximise their purchasing power.

I personally shop locally within the SE region, Waterford being my main centre for almost EVERYTHING, with Carrick on Suir and perhaps the odd time Clonmel thrown in for good measure. I do know a lot of people (Waterford city folks included, by the way) choose to go to KK city as to be perfectly honest, there is more choice there with regards shopping - and ease of shopping - for many. Waterford is turning into a ghost town, I guess we can all agree on that.
    I really wish Waterford had the same going for it, as I rarely make the trip to Kilkenny city myself (barring taxing the car) and spend most of what little money I have in Waterford.

This is exactly what I am saying - why are people in the SE region pointing fingers at each other instead of towards the Dail. So there are assholes on "both" sides, as you say. Fine. (Although I am still sighing at the use of "sides" at all, there should be just one side, the people of Ireland).

So ignore the minority of assholes and let the rest of us work together to make sure our region is one we can continue to have a decent life in. I get slagged all the time by Waterford folks for whatever reasons - coming over the bridge to take jobs (or menfolk!), winning the hurling, blah blah. Most of it good natured, some of it, to be honest, a little bit bitter. So what. I laugh at the good natured stuff and ignore the bitter ones. Idiots abound, best to smile and nod and move on and not let it ruffle you (I don't even follow hurling and the odd time I do pay any attention is actually when Waterford are doing well :)).

WRH has been, and still is, my hospital. I was born there. I have been treated there for various issues, and hope to continue to be treated there should I have any health issues arise. I do not want to see any downgrading in any shape or form. That is not in any doubt. I include myself in your "we". I do not see myself as "other". I do not define myself as South KK alone, I identify with KK, Waterford and South Tipp, as I carry out all functions of my life in this part of the country.

The reason I personally post in Waterford city forum and not KK (and if you check back through my posts you'll probably see that I don't post often in general, and when I do, it's always to waterford and not to kilkenny) is that to be perfectly honest, Waterford IS my centre of interest, it always was growing up, I used to love coming home to it on the bus from college in Dublin and seeing the lights on the quays as we came through Sallypark, I lived here for years, and while I don't live in the actual city anymore, I still view it as my city (and I have a lot of family living there) and am as concerned about what is happening to it as any Waterford person.

Heck, when I moved back out to South KK a few years ago, I watched the elections in Waterford with more interest than that of KK/Carlow, as I knew the candidates there and knew which ones I hoped would get in, and I had to go off and find out about the KK/Carlow candidates before elections came round (and I did not vote for Hogan).

I don't purport to speak for all of South KK, but I think you'll find that virtually everyone living in South KK does not want to see WRH or any health service in Waterford stripped away, as most of us would be patients of WRH (or Whitfield, or users of the Solas centre, Cheshire homes, etc). Everyone in South KK would be delighted to see WIT do well, as it means they or their kids might not have to leave the region to get educated (as I did at the time). Everyone in South KK would love to see businesses thrive in Waterford, as it would mean more jobs for everyone, more choice for everyone, and a city centre that was not deserted most of the week. County boundaries mean nothing, in my eyes.

This does not mean, by the way, that I am not happy to see St Lukes get any funding, even though I have never once used their services. I am happy to see any hospital getting much needed funding. Healthcare in this country is a shambles and the HSE are mismanaging at every step, so any funding that gets to frontline services is a big bonus in my view.

Echosound we're not talking about shopping.Nobody is denying anybodies right to shop where they want.We're talking about Regional Services in Health and Education and Investment in Jobs.we're also not talking about hurling or slagging which goes on everywhere. We're talking about balanced regional debvelopment and provision of sevices. That is what Waterford Gives a shirt is about and all the other things you are bringing into it are straw men arguements. So yes the shopping might be better in Dublin but so what.The fact remains for the entire region it is more convenient to use Waterford for necessary services than Cork and Dublin.That is a fact.Carlow might be equidistant from Dublin and Waterford but when it comes to acess to a major hospital Waterford wins hands dowm. And anyone who says otherwise is frankly lying. The New Ross standard is fully aware of this as there front page this week proves.But the fact remains if South KK;s strategic interests lie with Waterford it is up to the people there to fight for it and support the efforts. Also on the topic of representation itself there is also no comparison between Phil Hogan and any of the Waterford TD;s when it comes to divisive behaviour. Hogan has regularly critizcized previous governments and the IDA for focusing on Waterford which is by extension South Kilkenny for investment. He also seems to insist that any protests when he visits Waterford is due to the fact he is a Kilkenny man which is Bulls1t and highly inapropriate.I wonder what his excuse for being booed in Nowlan Park was, He is the personificatioon of Bull McCabe politics in Ireland. And again it is only the SKK voter can really change this.

Fuzzy, I don't get what point you seem to be trying to argue? I was replying to 7up free regarding her mentioning "One woman on a recent local radio programme who lives adjacent to te City claimed she travels to Kilkenny for her weekly shop". We - and I include myself here, am I not contributing to the discussion, and have I not already mentioned every single one of these points - are talking about jobs, investment, education, healthcare, infrastructure.

In fact, this does feed into the whole "gives a shirt" movement - Waterford is fast losing what little businesses it had, due to being forgotten and downgraded and ignored/jobs outsourced, leading to people travelling to do their shopping, leading to more businesses in Waterford closing down, leading to more job losses. Vicious circle. Nothing here to draw outside investment as the footfall is not here anymore, and given the current status of the airport, that is another drawback regarding foreign investment. If there is no investment in infrastructure & jobs there will be less and less people locally who are earning a wage, therefore less and less people with money to spend, therefore less and less Waterford businesses that can sustain themselves by providing goods and services for the few people who can afford them. Unemployment blackspot jackpot.

I'm not throwing out any strawman "arguments" (why would I? I am against any downgrading of any service in Waterford), merely replying to points raised already.

Can you not see that I personally am supportive of Waterford in general and WRH in particular, I am "on the same side" as you????? Why would I throw out strawmen, when I am hoping Waterford will somehow scramble out of it's downward spiral? What gain is there in trying to be dismissive towards someone who is supporting exactly the same ideals you yourself are?? As to the hurling reference, again, it was not me who brought up the GAA boundaries etc, it was other posters referencing GAA/parochial mindsets. I was replying to them, I thought that was what a forum discussion was all about? Or am I mistaken...

You say it is only KK voters who can change things regarding Hogan being an elected representative. Well obviously, given it is the Carlow/KK people who make up his constituency. I have already stated that I did not, and would not, vote for Hogan in a fit. I have no problem giving people my opinion when asked about politics, policies and representatives. I however, cannot force anyone to vote one way or another, merely try to raise points and hope they might agree with me upon reflection. Why not applaud the people of South KK who voted in JP Phelan (a WIT alumni, BTW) who has stated that he won't contenance any downgrade of WRH? Why not point fingers at those who elected Cullen, given he pulled the same favoritism for Waterford as you say Hogan is doing for Kilkenny? (And again, while I am not particularly a fan of FF or Cullen, I am however very pleased he pulled in investment for Waterford, even though it was the same "parish-pump" politics you seem to abhor).

You do realise it is James Reilly who is ultimately responsible for following or dismissing the recommendations regarding WRH? Why point your anger at Hogan (not that I am defending him, as said, I did not vote for him) when at the end of the day Reilly will be the one pulling the trigger or not.

And now, I'm done. Smile and nod....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Fuzzy, I echo Echosound.:D
    We're all arguing for the same things and while South Kilkenny voters do have a say, I doubt Hogan cares what people like Echosound think, writing them off as a lost cause. His power base is Kilkenny city/ North Kilkenny. His world view is a Kilkenny city one, where Waterford city is viewed as the enemy not a Southeastern ally. If he really cared what was good for all of County Kilkenny, including South Kilkenny, he would not be implementing policies which weaken Waterford city or supporting Reillys policies which may weaken Waterford city.
    Its inter-urban rivalry not county rivalry which is the root cause here.
    Aim your ire a little higher.;)

Fuzzy, I don't get what point you seem to be trying to argue? I was replying to 7up free regarding her mentioning "One woman on a recent local radio programme who lives adjacent to te City claimed she travels to Kilkenny for her weekly shop". We - and I include myself here, am I not contributing to the discussion, and have I not already mentioned every single one of these points - are talking about jobs, investment, education, healthcare, infrastructure.

In fact, this does feed into the whole "gives a shirt" movement - Waterford is fast losing what little businesses it had, due to being forgotten and downgraded and ignored/jobs outsourced, leading to people travelling to do their shopping, leading to more businesses in Waterford closing down, leading to more job losses. Vicious circle. Nothing here to draw outside investment as the footfall is not here anymore, and given the current status of the airport, that is another drawback regarding foreign investment. If there is no investment in infrastructure & jobs there will be less and less people locally who are earning a wage, therefore less and less people with money to spend, therefore less and less Waterford businesses that can sustain themselves by providing goods and services for the few people who can afford them. Unemployment blackspot jackpot.

I'm not throwing out any strawman "arguments" (why would I? I am against any downgrading of any service in Waterford), merely replying to points raised already.

Can you not see that I personally am supportive of Waterford in general and WRH in particular, I am "on the same side" as you????? Why would I throw out strawmen, when I am hoping Waterford will somehow scramble out of it's downward spiral? What gain is there in trying to be dismissive towards someone who is supporting exactly the same ideals you yourself are?? As to the hurling reference, again, it was not me who brought up the GAA boundaries etc, it was other posters referencing GAA/parochial mindsets. I was replying to them, I thought that was what a forum discussion was all about? Or am I mistaken...

You say it is only KK voters who can change things regarding Hogan being an elected representative. Well obviously, given it is the Carlow/KK people who make up his constituency. I have already stated that I did not, and would not, vote for Hogan in a fit. I have no problem giving people my opinion when asked about politics, policies and representatives. I however, cannot force anyone to vote one way or another, merely try to raise points and hope they might agree with me upon reflection. Why not applaud the people of South KK who voted in JP Phelan (a WIT alumni, BTW) who has stated that he won't contenance any downgrade of WRH? Why not point fingers at those who elected Cullen, given he pulled the same favoritism for Waterford as you say Hogan is doing for Kilkenny? (And again, while I am not particularly a fan of FF or Cullen, I am however very pleased he pulled in investment for Waterford, even though it was the same "parish-pump" politics you seem to abhor).

You do realise it is James Reilly who is ultimately responsible for following or dismissing the recommendations regarding WRH? Why point your anger at Hogan (not that I am defending him, as said, I did not vote for him) when at the end of the day Reilly will be the one pulling the trigger or not.

And now, I'm done. Smile and nod....

My point is this any vehemence towards Kilkenny people (which I don't believe their is) is driven by the optics that Kilkenny is selling out the region to enhance their own hospital. While you are here "agreeing" with me regarding WRH this is essentially preaching to the converted on that issue. While at the same time when this was argued over on the Kilkenny forum there was hardly anyone from SKK who would argue the case on behalf of South Kilkenny. If there was then the issue would go beyond the inter county rivalry and be discussed rationally rather than the purile unmoderated slander that went on over there when Waterford posters tried to discuss it.

As for James Reilly.Yes he is the minister for Health but as has been shown in the National media regarding Primary Care facilities there is overpowering evidence that Phil Hogan interfered with the process of selecting areas on their merit to the benefit of his own constituency. Roisin Shorthall resigned because of it. The same thing is happening here. And as another poster said (Dunmoreroader I think) it is not beyond the possibility that this is all only political maneuvering so that when they announce that it won;t happen but instead services will be siphoned off to St Lukes we will all breath a sigh of relief that it could have been worse.This is in fact what happened on Friday when Reilly visited WRH.

I am reluctant to discuss the issue of shopping with because imo it is off topic. But it as for a woman who does her weekly shop in Kilkenny,This does not really make sense unless it is a day out she is having. This is the problem with anecdotal evidence. There is no practical reason for anyone in Waterford to go to Kilkenny to do their weekly shopping as when all the combined retail of the two cities are compared Waterford is still far larger. As for Cullen this keeps coming up as if it somehow exonorates Phil Hogan.It doesn't! And Cullen didn't just pull investment into Waterford. There was a regional dimension to any of the investment that came and Kilkenny and Wexford were still beneficieries and included in any investment programs.Including the A&E for St Lukes and Wexford. What is happening now is that the region is being emasculated with North Kilkenny being buffered short term by Phil Hogan. If the people in SKK shouted as loud about this as Waterford people which I believe they will eventually then the inter county jealousy accusation will be neutralized. BTW as for JP Phelan. Fair play to him he is doing more than our three useless idiots so far but it is what he does in Dail Eireann is what really matters and that is what I will judge him on.

A very good post, most of which I agree with. Just to clarify the whole GAA thing though:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/protesters-march-over-border-move-241540.html

Seriously though, a woman travelling to Kilkenny (50Km away) because she hates Waterford? While YOU may shop locally this woman is a case in point.

You say County boundaries mean nothing in your eyes - but many of your south KK brethern would espouse a far darker, different viewpoint. A minorty of assholes? In Utopia maybe.

On WRH. Not on the City status. That lays firmly at the doorstep of Hogan.

Fuzzy, I echo Echosound.:D
    We're all arguing for the same things and while South Kilkenny voters do have a say, I doubt Hogan cares what people like Echosound think, writing them off as a lost cause. His power base is Kilkenny city/ North Kilkenny. His world view is a Kilkenny city one, where Waterford city is viewed as the enemy not a Southeastern ally. If he really cared what was good for all of County Kilkenny, including South Kilkenny, he would not be implementing policies which weaken Waterford city or supporting Reillys policies which may weaken Waterford city.
    Its inter-urban rivalry not county rivalry which is the root cause here.
    Aim your ire a little higher.;)

If my response to echosound comes across as adversarial to him/her then I apologise but that was not my aim. But I find myself having to continually address two issues that people like Phil Hogan and some Waterford FG'rs are using to excuse certain behaviour. The first is that Waterford is somehow jealous of Kilkennybecause of inter county rivalry.It isn't the case. Nor is the situation of the threatened downgrade of WRH equal to that of St Lukes losing some services. The other was that Martin Cullen being a minister and his actions were comparable to Phil Hogan they weren't. You could argue that if Cullen was from Dungarvan and was provideing largess to that town to the detriment of everywhere else in the region But it wasn't the case. I also agree that Hogan does not care about the South and he may see it as a lost cause.However that does not mean he won't take heed.It is the fastest growing part of the county and the system of electoral transfers would make him vulnerable if the voters in SKK voted strategically. But that is why he thrives on the inter county rivalry because he benefits if Waterford and SKK are divided politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

i see in a local paper today that the high court might be transferred to kk now aswell, after money that was meant for the court house in waterford has been given the knock, i think we should start a game as to what will be next, i say the fas training centre on the estate or maybe they,ll take the internet out of waterford, or they might roll up the runway out at the airport and bring that up to kk

gw80 wrote: »
    i see in a local paper today that the high court might be transferred to kk now aswell, after money that was meant for the court house in waterford has been given the knock, i think we should start a game as to what will be next, i say the fas training centre on the estate or maybe they,ll take the internet out of waterford, or they might roll up the runway out at the airport and bring that up to kk

Here we go again. And we're "paranoid" about Hogan?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Did you not hear; they were excavating for the Market Cross shopping Centre and found an ancient receipe for Blaa's that pre-dates the Huguenots arrival in Waterford.:)

Advertisement