Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

how much more of this can we take, there,s no paranoia here, there,s obviously an agenda here to make kk more important regionally, and dont get me wrong i have nothing against kk or kk people, i have no interest in gaa whatsoever, south kk people are local people to me, i have family and friends who live in south kk as do most people who live in waterford city, but whats happening is nothing short of pillaging, and this may seem as a little over dramatic but it feels to me like we are under attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

gw80 wrote: »
    how much more of this can we take, there,s no paranoia here, there,s obviously an agenda here to make kk more important regionally, and dont get me wrong i have nothing against kk or kk people, i have no interest in gaa whatsoever, south kk people are local people to me, i have family and friends who live in south kk as do most people who live in waterford city, but whats happening is nothing short of pillaging, and this may seem as a little over dramatic but it feels to me like we are under attack

If this is true then there is something seriously up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone who is following the Waterford Gives a Shirt campaign on Facebook will notice that no minister will personally meet the organisers; instead, a letter will be handed to Paudie Coffey tomorrow afternoon who will them pass it on to the Taoiseach. To be held in such disdain by the highest power in the land does make me sick and angry but I want to put that behind me now and say that Cian, Liz and all those connnected to the campaign deserve our fullest thanks and admiration.

You have made a huge difference to the people of Waterford with your passion and refusal to lay down and accept the treatment meted out to us by politicians and ministers who have effectively tried to wipe this fine city off the map. Whatever happens tomorrow we are truly proud of you and you are an excellent representative for Waterford and all it stands for, you have done a lot more than most people would and for that I thank you.

Anyone who is following the Waterford Gives a Shirt campaign on Facebook will notice that no minister will personally meet the organisers; instead, a letter will be handed to Paudie Coffey tomorrow afternoon who will them pass it on to the Taoiseach. To be held in such disdain by the highest power in the land does make me sick and angry but I want to put that behind me now and say that Cian, Liz and all those connnected to the campaign deserve our fullest thanks and admiration.

You have made a huge difference to the people of Waterford with your passion and refusal to lay down and accept the treatment meted out to us by politicians and ministers who have effectively tried to wipe this fine city off the map. Whatever happens tomorrow we are truly proud of you and you are an excellent representative for Waterford and all it stands for, you have done a lot more than most people would and for that I thank you.

While it would be nice if the Taoiseach actually met with one of them in Private there is NO WAY any leader will go face to face on the street with some group that has political grievances with that leader. You might aswell shoot yourself in the foot, plus there's security issues also with such a thing. So while I'm dissapointed that nobody was invited in, you cant really blame the Taoiseach for not coming out to a demonstration that is meant to highlight the failings of that Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

O Riain wrote: »
    While it would be nice if the Taoiseach actually met with one of them in Private there is NO WAY any leader will go face to face on the street with some group that has political grievances with that leader. You might aswell shoot yourself in the foot, plus there's security issues also with such a thing. So while I'm dissapointed that nobody was invited in, you cant really blame the Taoiseach for not coming out to a demonstration that is meant to highlight the failings of that Taoiseach.

The campaign isnt political O'Riain, its not to single out the Taoiseach but the system failing this city and region

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For what its worth, its not uncommon not to meet the Taoiseach. Enda would be one of the more 'available' of the lot, with many reports of him personally contacting people on their queries or concerns. In addition, I would assume other Ministers wouldn't take a huge amount of notice considering its not their constituency that is complaining. That leaves the local representative to deal with the query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

wellboy76 wrote: »
    The campaign isnt political O'Riain, its not to single out the Taoiseach but the system failing this city and region

It is political though...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Mary Roche has been involved from the start and is travelling tomorrow, so it is political but no linked to a political party

wellboy76 wrote: »

The system A.K.A the Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    For what its worth, its not uncommon not to meet the Taoiseach. Enda would be one of the more 'available' of the lot, with many reports of him personally contacting people on their queries or concerns. In addition, I would assume other Ministers wouldn't take a huge amount of notice considering its not their constituency that is complaining. That leaves the local representative to deal with the query.

Sorry but with 15000 people marching, many of which were marching for more than just the WRH issue, for the Taoiseach not to send a representative minister shows the attitude that prevails towards the city. Its grossly disrespectful and if a 15000 person march doesn't inspire the taoiseach to receive a letter or ask a minister to receive it on his behalf, then in my opinion thats a statement in itself.

You can be absolutely sure if 15000 people marched in Cork, there'd be a minister to receive the letter. Ive no doubt about that. The consistent defence of this government's behaviour by a number of posters in the forum is something I profoundly disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    Sorry but with 15000 people marching, many of which were marching for more than just the WRH issue, for the Taoiseach not to send a representative minister shows the attitude that prevails towards the city. Its grossly disrespectful and if a 15000 person march doesn't inspire the taoiseach to receive a letter or ask a minister to receive it on his behalf, then in my opinion thats a statement in itself.

You can be absolutely sure if 15000 people marched in Cork, there'd be a minister to receive the letter. Ive no doubt about that. The consistent defence of this government's behaviour by a number of posters in the forum is something I profoundly disagree with.

I think most people protested just for the WRH issue. It was that campaign group that got the numbers together and not the campaign for the city status / mergers and so on.

Regardless of the location, regardless of the numbers present - you wont see the leader of our country coming out. You will see a representative of the constituency attending and this is exactly what is happening - 3/4 of our TDs have agreed to meet. It is unheard of in Ireland for our Taoiseach or a senior Minister to come out if it doesn't impact on their constituency. Nor should it be expected.

Do you think he should meet with every group that protests? If he meets one, he has to meet them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think most people protested just for the WRH issue. It was that campaign group that got the numbers together and not the campaign for the city status / mergers and so on.

Regardless of the location, regardless of the numbers present - you wont see the leader of our country coming out. You will see a representative of the constituency attending and this is exactly what is happening - 3/4 of our TDs have agreed to meet. It is unheard of in Ireland for our Taoiseach or a senior Minister to come out if it doesn't impact on their constituency. Nor should it be expected.

Do you think he should meet with every group that protests? If he meets one, he has to meet them all.

I believe that he or a ministerial representative should meet with the organisers of a protest that is linked (to what extent we'll have to disagree) to 15000 citizens marching in a neglected area.. Yes. I do.

I can't speak for 15000 people, but the 10 or so I was with all protested based on issues including and beyond the WRH issue. I see no way that you could possibly know that 'most people protested just for the WRH issue' unless you have some sort of survey completed? My assertion that many protested for reasons including and beyond the WRH issue is based on the number of people I attented with and spoke to. I can't say most supported that view because I've no way of knowing.

Your position that most people protested just for the WRH issue I would argue with the utmost respect comes from a FG based position that gives the impression that the city/county issue is just a misunderstanding from the silly folk who dont understand or 'get it'..

I think theres an underestimation or a denial of what I believe to be a clear and ongoing neglect of Waterford and its surrounding region. WRH is one example of this. Regardless, a protest of that size should lead the taoiseach to act and his failure to present some sort of option is in my view disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

It is political though...

How so? Taking politicians to task over a bananas idea and "being political" are vastly different things.

Think away. The group that I was with was there for BOTH campaigns. As were many others.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

7upfree wrote: »
    Think away. The group that I was with was there for BOTH campaigns. As were many others.

So the small group you were with protested over two issues, you still can't apply this to everyone.

I know of people that protested over household charge, but certainly everyone didn't protest for this.

Heard from one person there was a chap with a sign about fluoride, yet we don't go assuming everyone was protesting over this either....but maybe more people were protesting over this then the whole city thing....i guess we'll never know :pac:

:D

7upfree might be a Sinn Fein voter. They typically construct posts along the lines, to defend their point, that many others they know did X or Y therefore, everyone did. Like when it comes to elections - you often see Sinn Fein supporters arguing online that all their friends and that persons friends voted for Sinn Fein and they "didn't know of anybody" who was voting for the other parties therefore it must be a rigged election. :D

But on a more serious note, I agree I could be very wrong. I was working on the assumption based on what appeared to be a solid reasoning as the 'Save Waterford' Campaign drew a much larger online response in a shorter period. They organised a protest separately to the 'Waterford Gives a Shirt' one and agreed to just join at the end. A huge crowd turned up for the former protest and it significantly died down once the protests merged. I know this was partly down to the Gardai, I believe, asking for speeches to be wrapped up because the crowds were still coming from Ballybricken. But in general, the 'Waterford Gives A Shirt' campaign could not and has not been able to mobilise such a crowd on the ground and there appears to be a much greater interest in the former campaign when you look at the response they are getting from the national media alone. The 'Waterford Gives A Shirt' campaign is given a glancing reference if its lucky - as the focus is purely on the former campaign.

So when I look at the individual responses by both campaigns, the general local attention it was receiving and the national media attention - for me, a significant weight was leaning towards a campaign which was focusing most, if not all, of its efforts on the hospital campaign.

We will never know of course and we can both speculate and wonder. :)

7upfree might be a Sinn Fein voter. They typically construct posts along the lines, to defend their point, that many others they know did X or Y therefore, everyone did. Like when it comes to elections - you often see Sinn Fein supporters arguing online that all their friends and that persons friends voted for Sinn Fein and they "didn't know of anybody" who was voting for the other parties therefore it must be a rigged election. :D

But on a more serious note, I agree I could be very wrong. I was working on the assumption based on what appeared to be a solid reasoning as the 'Save Waterford' Campaign drew a much larger online response in a shorter period. They organised a protest separately to the 'Waterford Gives a Shirt' one and agreed to just join at the end. A huge crowd turned up for the former protest and it significantly died down once the protests merged. I know this was partly down to the Gardai, I believe, asking for speeches to be wrapped up because the crowds were still coming from Ballybricken. But in general, the 'Waterford Gives A Shirt' campaign could not and has not been able to mobilise such a crowd on the ground and there appears to be a much greater interest in the former campaign when you look at the response they are getting from the national media alone. The 'Waterford Gives A Shirt' campaign is given a glancing reference if its lucky - as the focus is purely on the former campaign.

So when I look at the individual responses by both campaigns, the general local attention it was receiving and the national media attention - for me, a significant weight was leaning towards a campaign which was focusing most, if not all, of its efforts on the hospital campaign.

We will never know of course and we can both speculate and wonder. :)

I see the double act are back.:) Still no answer from Cabaal on his county of origin. No surprises there. I'll tell ya this Sully. After the "performance" of this "government" (and I use the term in the loosest possible sense) I might even be tempted to give the Shinners a run.

Oooh the venom towards the WGAS shirt campaign is palpable in the post above.:D A pity you couldn't - for once - admire what they are doing and get over your loyalty to FG. 15,000 shirts donated. Yeah, they never got off the ground at all Sully!:rolleyes::)

I see the double act are back.:) Still no answer from Cabaal on his county of origin. No surprises there. I'll tell ya this Sully. After the "performance" of this "government" (and I use the term in the loosest possible sense) I might even be tempted to give the Shinners a run.

Oooh the venom towards the WGAS shirt campaign is palpable in the post above.:D A pity you couldn't - for once - admire what they are doing and get over your loyalty to FG. 15,000 shirts donated. Yeah, they never got off the ground at all Sully!:rolleyes::)

If we ever meet, do introduce yourself! I want to buy you a pint someday, your some craic!

If we ever meet, do introduce yourself! I want to buy you a pint someday, your some craic!
    Coming from the man himself:D I'll buy you two. Still won't acknowledge WGAS I see. And the other half of the dynamic duo still won't admit to being from Kilkenny. Some craic alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Avoided the question. Definitely a shinner.

In fairness to the shirts campaign, when it started the hospital document hadn't been leaked. That was obviously a much bigger motivator for people.

The shirts campaign still isn't very clear to me actually. I saw one of their spokespeople on the journal recently telling another county that they couldn't join the campaign cause it was soley about city status.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Coming from the man himself:D I'll buy you two. Still won't acknowledge WGAS I see. And the other half of the dynamic duo still won't admit to being from Kilkenny. Some craic alright!

You need to see a passport or something, thought you'd be able to figure out where I'm living purely based on the info infront of you....regardless of the post content.
    :rolleyes:

What, you can't click a link? :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    You need to see a passport or something, thought you'd be able to figure out where I'm living purely based on the info infront of you....regardless of the post content.
    :rolleyes:

What, you can't click a link?

Nooooooo. Just wondering why you didn't come back earlier. And what, indeed, you're doing becoming so embroiled in a Waterford City forum.

Avoided the question. Definitely a shinner.

Yeah I'll catch you for a Lily at Easter......:D If only you knew......:)

Nooooooo. Just wondering why you didn't come back earlier. And what, indeed, you're doing becoming so embroiled in a Waterford City forum.

Lastime I checked I don't have to follow orders and do what you request :)

I'm also free to post in this forum or any other forum on boards.ie that I have access to as long as I stay in-line with the charter the same as anyone else can. shocking eh? :eek:

The joys of the interweb :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I hate to get all serious and ruin the little back and forth that's going on....:D

....but I do think that a coming together of all campaigns needs to happen very soon to keep the momentum going.

I'm commenting on this from afar so am purely basing my opinion on what I see online and in the media. The Waterford Gives A Shirt Campaign is very worthwhile but I think it suffers slightly from its message being tongue-in-cheek. The point that Waterford has nothing to give but the shirt of its back, while a valid one, is a difficult one to get behind, especially for anyone not from Waterford. Yes Waterford is being hit hard, with the potential change to city council, Aer Arann pulling out and complete lack of new jobs. But for each of those issues it's very hard to pin the blame on who's absolutely responsible, or suggest alternatives. I think this is why media coverage for the campaign has not been huge and most likely they didn't have the same numbers as the Save Waterford campaign at the march.

The Save Waterford campaign on the other hand had a clear point and message, we don't want our hospital's services reduced in any way. This is universal and can be applied to people from all counties in Ireland. If Waterford's hospital is downgraded, Cork might be next, or Dublin. Also almost everyone has needed the use of the hospital at some point in their life. A reduction in services is a tangible threat and one that got thousands off their couches and marching on the streets. Also the blame for WRH potentially being downgraded is much easier to pin on someone, and the alternative is easy, just leave it alone! The media are naturally all over it as it is a nationwide issue in my opinion and has a clear message that's easy to print, not to mention the human interest story of two ordinary mothers starting it off.

But I can already see that the campaign might start losing momentum. The two women who started the Save Waterford campaign do not have unlimited time to dedicate to it, they've already said so. This will be its downfall. Like or not those two fantastic women are the figureheads behind the movement. Without them it is likely to fall apart. Waterford Gives a Shirt has more volunteers at the moment but possibly less media and government interest and they're having to fight as hard as possible to get their point across. Other smaller protests have sprung up from concerned groups but are small and ineffective.

The solutions seems clear enough to me. Save Waterford is a great tagline and a great campaign. Everyone would do well to get behind it initially and help not only keep it alive but help it grow. Forget your political allegiances and forget individual campaigns. Get together and come up with master campaign.

Save Waterford as a tag line is superb. It's short, punchy and all-encompassing. Save Waterford, save our hospital, save our jobs, save our city. It's also expandable. Save Kilkenny, Save the South East, Save Ireland.

A merging of campaigns will take the pressure off Gillian and Andrea, having many others willing to take on organisational responsibility. There's strength in numbers and if the various campaigns unite under a single banner suddenly where there are a handful of people trying to organise the campaign, there will be dozens. Where thousands are behind individual campaigns, there will be tens of thousands. Where a single city and county stood up for itself, hopefully every city and county in Ireland will join in. That's when you get something done. That's when a government will listen.

I think political allegiances need to be forgotten in Ireland from now on, especially from this forum :D. Parish pump politics need to be put aside for the sake of the country. The country is in terrible shape, so bad I may never return and that really saddens me. The only way anything will change is when every person in Ireland unites under a single ideal and that's to get the country back on track. Any government that's voted in, from whatever political party, will not make the slightest bit of difference until they're pushed by the people. The people of Ireland have been treated with disdain by successive governments and I really hope now is when those people stand up and say enough is enough. For years we've complained from our armchairs, I'm so proud that the people of Waterford have been the first to get up as one and fight back.

So I wish the best to both the Waterford Gives a Shirt and Save Waterford campaigns, as well as everyone else who's standing up for themselves. I do hope everyone can unite eventually and start a real change for the region. Of course if I can do anything from the UK I'll be happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Judging by the Facebook comments everything went to plan in a dignified and orderly manner up in the big schmoke today, good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Judging by the Facebook comments everything went to plan in a dignified and orderly manner up in the big schmoke today, good to hear.

Yeah fair play to them. I think one of the real positives of both major campaigns has been the dignity of the protests. No shouting, no messing and I think that goes a long way towards being taken seriously.

Jason Todd wrote: »

Hats off to them. They deserve great credit.

Lastime I checked I don't have to follow orders and do what you request :)

I'm also free to post in this forum or any other forum on boards.ie that I have access to as long as I stay in-line with the charter the same as anyone else can. shocking eh? :eek:

The joys of the interweb :pac::pac:

Knock yourself out. I don't feel particularly attracted to the KK forum though.:)

• Advertisement

You need to see a passport or something,

Now THERE'S a thought.......:D

Advertisement