Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

7upfree wrote: »
    A huge opportunity was missed on Friday last simply because of politically-oriented scaremongering from some quarters. And SW fell for it unfortunately.

And the Santa hats suggestion is completely naff.

Funny you're talking about missed opportunity's,

I would of thought that the biggest missed opportunity and biggest waste of time and effort is yet another march in Waterford,

As I've said before, have the teachers, farmers and pensioners thought people nothing!?!. If you really really want attention and you want to get noticed then bring the march to Dublin,

There's already been a march in Waterford and its served its purpose...it got the campaign initially noticed but another march isn't going to add much to this.

There's no point in having the biggest march in the world in Waterford if its not seen/heard about where the largest population base is in Ireland.....Dublin.

In addition asking people to march in Waterford with santa hats is just silly and it draws away from the actual issue the protest is supposed to be about and starts to turn it into a farce!

I would have thought its not supposed to be some sort of family fun day festival thing but yet thats exactly what the website almost suggests it is - http://www.savewaterford.com/events-9774.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

7upfree wrote: »
    Karen brought it on herself. Full stop. I agree about SW though. You cannot even dare to criticise their strategy without causing a backlash. Not good.

I think you're getting a bit mixed up. I have no problem in somebody getting criticised for an opinion if people don't agree with it. They can argue the point civilly whilst maintaining a certain level of decorum and respect for the original poster. But Karen was abused, called names, people were talking about boycotting her business, someone else made suggestion about her being anally raped. And she brought this on herself?

If you expect people to take your opinions seriously on this forum 7upfree, you'll probably need to clarify exactly how Karen "brought this on herself".

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'd want to be careful with your assumptions,

There are plenty of 50, 60, 70 and even 80 year olds I know of who use facebook, even if they don't a friend of there's may so the word of mouth spreading via social media is likely much higher then the 30% you assuming it is.

Ok if you want be pedantic about it we'll raise the percentage to 50% -60% ? Point I was making was that at least 50%? or 60%? of those on Ballybricken hill would probably not have been there as result of what they read on FB or social media but as result of what they may have heard on the TV, Radio or word of mouth . I'll be honest I know a lot of 70 and 80 year old's( 50 and 60 year olds I'll agree) , particularly family members and I can assure you none of them use any kind of social media bar texting on a phone .

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'd want to be careful with your assumptions,

There are plenty of 50, 60, 70 and even 80 year olds I know of who use facebook, even if they don't a friend of there's may so the word of mouth spreading via social media is likely much higher then the 30% you assuming it is.

In all fairness, there are a lot of assumptions going on in this thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two major blows for the anti-Hogan brigade this week. Not only does he give the thumbs up for the Fire Service and effectively the Courthouse for Waterford, he is also asking for people to get involved in the discussion on council reform - which is a topic so many in Waterford have an opinion on (mostly its wrong, but hey, whats the harm in spreading lies to suit your own conspiracy eh?).

I'm hardly this fellas biggest fan, but christ, he doesn't appear to be that evil and anti-Waterford after all. Maybe the campaign will do something useful and I dunno, get involved in the discussion and deal with facts rather than ranting, raving and complaining that he is out to get us for the benefit of Kilkenny?
    Have an opinion on council reforms? Phil Hogan wants them.

The Environment Minister has established a committee to review local electoral areas, and submissions on the proposed changes are now being sought.

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/council-reforms-committe-706098-Dec2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

What's to say the campaigns have not made him change his mind/attitude. Perhaps now as he is not kicking a dead dog he has to change tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »
    Two major blows for the anti-Hogan brigade this week. Not only does he give the thumbs up for the Fire Service and effectively the Courthouse for Waterford, he is also asking for people to get involved in the discussion on council reform - which is a topic so many in Waterford have an opinion on (mostly its wrong, but hey, whats the harm in spreading lies to suit your own conspiracy eh?).

I'm hardly this fellas biggest fan, but christ, he doesn't appear to be that evil and anti-Waterford after all. Maybe the campaign will do something useful and I dunno, get involved in the discussion and deal with facts rather than ranting, raving and complaining that he is out to get us for the benefit of Kilkenny?

Could you not find a nicer way to post a news item than such a caustic carping manner .,it is a mirror to your character how you chose to deliver news and the reflection in yours is rather twisted.
    Grow up boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

In fairness, given your blanket support of FG across the board, you have one hell of a neck to come on here and spout those accusations and claims, while at the same time attempting to castigate people who are actually pointing out what needs to be done to protect our City. A few crumbs from the Cabinet table and you're having a party?

No wonder politics in Ireland is in the state that it's in (no pun intended).

Main priorities:

1. WRH.

2. Uni.

3. Airport.

And as for "discussion on Council reform" if you're falling for that one then there is truly no hope. It will end in the bin like most other consultation documents.

Come back when the Government you so loyally follow comes through with those - and then you can get up on your FG soapbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/council-reforms-committe-706098-Dec2012/[/QUOTE]

Your personal vendetta against one of the committee members of WGAS is gone beyond a joke. Focusing on one of a number of elements of that campaign in order to try and undermine it through this forum is disgusting. I am asking you to stop this unqualified ranting before you take it too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

The biggest Issue I have with this "Council Reform" is that

He (Hogan) wants Cork City and Cork County Council to come to an agrremnt so that Cork City can grow in a sustained manner into Cork County, within 5 years otherwise the Dept of Environment will implemet a new boundary on their behalf.

Yet Waterford City (Municipal District) will not be alllowed to grow in the same manner. I.E Northwards into Kilkenny County, which would be the most logical from a planning point of view, and create a proper city with the City Centre at its core rather than the edge.

This is madness of the highest order and the Implementation body have been told that they cannot recommend this. They are hamstrung before they even start. so What's the poinit in asking the public for their opinions:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Sadly point 2 in the terms and references makes this just a talking shop with no real power to change what he has already decided

2. The Committee should have regard to the population as ascertained at census 2011, to the Government’s Action Programme for Effective Local Government and to the decision of Government to merge the councils of Limerick City and Limerick County, North Tipperary and South Tipperary, Waterford City and Waterford County and make its recommendations accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Keep your hair on. Two million wouldn't keep James Reilly out of Stubbs gazette. It's hardly going to compensate for the removal of our city status effectively or the downgrading of WRH. Some perspective please. If you think these are major blows then the next thing you'll be doing is trying to smear hospital protestors because they go to Tescoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

(mostly its wrong, but hey, whats the harm in spreading lies to suit your own conspiracy eh?).

Langugage designed to irritate. I fully support the campaign. I am not spreading lies. Post reported.

It just amazes me how somebody can get behind any of these parties, but to be championing one like one of this forums moderators is doing on a constant basis. Its a pity the recession closed all the strip clubs, you could do with an aul dance to relieve the tension

Sully there is an old Jewish saying.
    When six people tell you you are sick.....Lie down

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looks like I touched a raw nerve. Its funny to see people accuse me of having a personal vendetta when the campaign itself has its own vendetta against Phil Hogan. Plus the vendetta against me which has been mentioned several times on Boards. Plus the general anger people have towards anybody who dares speak against the campaign - Karen Frampton ring any bells? Cyber bullying at its best. A woman who was 100% behind Waterford, breaks her back for Waterford and the abuse she got for going against the mob. Get real.

Its worth reminding people that this whole campaign spurred into action following numerous conversations I, and others, had with the lead organiser. I remember suggesting that he actually do something and not just give out online - which is when he agreed and came up with this campaign.

Its also worth reminding people that I supported the campaign until the point where the campaign constantly suggested the following false remarks, neither of which have been proven to be valid by the campaign. The rebuttal, are often fair but do not go anyway to correct the false suggestions being made.

1) Waterford was, is and will remain a City by name and full legal status. It is not being downgraded or changed in any shape or form. This is a fact that cannot be suggested otherwise.

The rebuttal here proves the above. The campaign is clinging onto a possibility that we wont be able to compete as a City without a City Council and because we are now facing an even bigger hill against Cork and Galway who get all the jobs and luck. That's a fair point, but its still wrong to suggest we have lost our City Status. Many many people believed this and are convinced its a fact. When I explain what is actually happening, then they understand better but are bewildered as to why a campaign, which is supposed to be for the betterment of Waterford, would suggest otherwise. An answer nobody is willing to give, they just throw you a load of abuse, insults and try ruin your good name. Cyberbullying yet again.

2) Minister Phil Hogan has no issues with Waterford being a city. He made no secret that, in the past at least, he would have liked to have seen Kilkenny be given the same status Waterford has and will continue to have. Despite being in a position to change this now, he has not done so. He is not jealous of Waterford and is not out to get Waterford. Funnily enough, there has been very little said since the same Minister awarded funds towards the re-location of the Fire Service which would in turn then permit for a full extension of the courthouse. This would take from Kilkenny. Yet, despite the theory he is out to give Waterford a hard time - he basically gave the thumbs up for TWO projects!

Now the rebuttal here is that our nearest neighbours have a Minister and that alone gives them the upper hand. True, not arguing with that well known theory. When Waterford had a Minister, we kept stump. Nobody campaigning for an end to parish pump politics then eh? Now that Waterford is without, people are furious and demanding our TDs to do more. Hence, asking for parish pump politics. That is why the Minister and TDs look after their constituents - because they wont be voted in otherwise.

The second point constantly raised is that Phil Hogan is jealous of Waterford. Why? Arah, because he asked for Kilkenny to be a city years ago and was refused. So? Well, in the eyes of the campaigners and some supporters, he *must* be jealous because we are a City and Kilkenny was refused full status. Not proved by anybody, just a silly conspiracy theory.

In relation to the funding, well they are claiming a victory (before a TD suggested they influenced Hogan, which I don't believe and others have said likewise on the page). No credit to our local TDs, Senators or Cllrs who all worked very hard on this. Just patting themselves on the back. People are being negative towards the funding he gave, and saying more needs to be done. Was it billions? No. Was it something we needed, called for and wanted? Yes. Should we roll over and be a good deise citizen now? Absolutely not, but its progress that should be welcome and not knocked. People should now cop the **** on and remember this when ranting how Phil is out to get us.

The above are indisputable. They are misleading statements. You can twist the statement all around to suit your argument, but the fact remains - the main point is false. The campaign has consistently brought these issues as their core issues and a look on their Facebook proves as such. Supporters regularly comment on Phil Hogan as if he is the source of Waterfords continued troubles which is unfair and I would wonder does it cross into being defamatory. But politicians need a thick skin and take little heed.

I make no secret of the fact I correct these false and ridiculous statements which put Waterford in a negative militant spotlight. I do so not to chastise any individual or group to aid an agenda, but I do so because I love Waterford. City and County. I work my backside of for my own town and regularly promote Waterford and remind people we exist. I have been supportive of campaigns in the past which have highlighted our plight - including campaigns setup by the same person behind Waterford Gives A Shirt.

Its nothing to do with my involvement with FG and I have consistently proved this and pointed it out to the fan base but such people will only read and listen to what they want, regardless of how wrong they might be. They dish it all out towards me and others who go against their views but when the table turns they defend and object. Have some cop on.

Its constantly suggested that me disagreeing with them is purely down to me being political, anti Waterford and so on. Again, I can easily prove you wrong and have done but its ignored. I have donated posters, designs, print, time and money towards a campaign that could be considered anti-government. I have done so with the help of another local business who I personally asked would they get involved. That is the Save Waterford campaign. I'm 100% behind them and continue to offer them anything they need. They are anti-government, they are raising issues that appear not to be in line with government policy - do I care? Yes, I am fully behind the campaign and their ideas.

Its also even more amusing to see the campaign has decided to block me from commenting or posting on their page. But they didn't remove me completely. I guess I rocked their apple cart a little to much in highlighting the false and ridiculous statements. No worries, if they don't want anybody going against their point of view and want to censor my views, I couldn't care less.

Thankfully, Boards.ie allows people to debate and discuss various topics between each other in a fair and balanced way. No bullying, no witch hunting, no bringing in agendas into other topics just to have a go at one particular person and so on.

A proper forum for discussion. This topic is on WGAS, and I am discussing their campaign on topic. I am not posting here to troll, to wind up, or to insult anybody. Everybody has their right to express an opinion one way or another and support whatever campaign they like.

Excuse the long post, but I felt the above message needed to ring in peoples ears a bit more even though I can guarantee you many will tear it apart, rant, complain, and so on without taking in the facts. Maybe those sitting on the fence will see my side and agree its no agenda or nothing personal. Never was and never will be. Not my style.

Looks like I touched a raw nerve. Its funny to see people accuse me of having a personal vendetta when the campaign itself has its own vendetta against Phil Hogan. Plus the vendetta against me which has been mentioned several times on Boards. Plus the general anger people have towards anybody who dares speak against the campaign - Karen Frampton ring any bells? Cyber bullying at its best. A woman who was 100% behind Waterford, breaks her back for Waterford and the abuse she got for going against the mob. Get real.

Its worth reminding people that this whole campaign spurred into action following numerous conversations I, and others, had with the lead organiser. I remember suggesting that he actually do something and not just give out online - which is when he agreed and came up with this campaign.

Its also worth reminding people that I supported the campaign until the point where the campaign constantly suggested the following false remarks, neither of which have been proven to be valid by the campaign. The rebuttal, are often fair but do not go anyway to correct the false suggestions being made.

1) Waterford was, is and will remain a City by name and full legal status. It is not being downgraded or changed in any shape or form. This is a fact that cannot be suggested otherwise.

The rebuttal here proves the above. The campaign is clinging onto a possibility that we wont be able to compete as a City without a City Council and because we are now facing an even bigger hill against Cork and Galway who get all the jobs and luck. That's a fair point, but its still wrong to suggest we have lost our City Status. Many many people believed this and are convinced its a fact. When I explain what is actually happening, then they understand better but are bewildered as to why a campaign, which is supposed to be for the betterment of Waterford, would suggest otherwise. An answer nobody is willing to give, they just throw you a load of abuse, insults and try ruin your good name. Cyberbullying yet again.

2) Minister Phil Hogan has no issues with Waterford being a city. He made no secret that, in the past at least, he would have liked to have seen Kilkenny be given the same status Waterford has and will continue to have. Despite being in a position to change this now, he has not done so. He is not jealous of Waterford and is not out to get Waterford. Funnily enough, there has been very little said since the same Minister awarded funds towards the re-location of the Fire Service which would in turn then permit for a full extension of the courthouse. This would take from Kilkenny. Yet, despite the theory he is out to give Waterford a hard time - he basically gave the thumbs up for TWO projects!

Now the rebuttal here is that our nearest neighbours have a Minister and that alone gives them the upper hand. True, not arguing with that well known theory. When Waterford had a Minister, we kept stump. Nobody campaigning for an end to parish pump politics then eh? Now that Waterford is without, people are furious and demanding our TDs to do more. Hence, asking for parish pump politics. That is why the Minister and TDs look after their constituents - because they wont be voted in otherwise.

The second point constantly raised is that Phil Hogan is jealous of Waterford. Why? Arah, because he asked for Kilkenny to be a city years ago and was refused. So? Well, in the eyes of the campaigners and some supporters, he *must* be jealous because we are a City and Kilkenny was refused full status. Not proved by anybody, just a silly conspiracy theory.

In relation to the funding, well they are claiming a victory (before a TD suggested they influenced Hogan, which I don't believe and others have said likewise on the page). No credit to our local TDs, Senators or Cllrs who all worked very hard on this. Just patting themselves on the back. People are being negative towards the funding he gave, and saying more needs to be done. Was it billions? No. Was it something we needed, called for and wanted? Yes. Should we roll over and be a good deise citizen now? Absolutely not, but its progress that should be welcome and not knocked. People should now cop the **** on and remember this when ranting how Phil is out to get us.

The above are indisputable. They are misleading statements. You can twist the statement all around to suit your argument, but the fact remains - the main point is false. The campaign has consistently brought these issues as their core issues and a look on their Facebook proves as such. Supporters regularly comment on Phil Hogan as if he is the source of Waterfords continued troubles which is unfair and I would wonder does it cross into being defamatory. But politicians need a thick skin and take little heed.

I make no secret of the fact I correct these false and ridiculous statements which put Waterford in a negative militant spotlight. I do so not to chastise any individual or group to aid an agenda, but I do so because I love Waterford. City and County. I work my backside of for my own town and regularly promote Waterford and remind people we exist. I have been supportive of campaigns in the past which have highlighted our plight - including campaigns setup by the same person behind Waterford Gives A Shirt.

Its nothing to do with my involvement with FG and I have consistently proved this and pointed it out to the fan base but such people will only read and listen to what they want, regardless of how wrong they might be. They dish it all out towards me and others who go against their views but when the table turns they defend and object. Have some cop on.

Its constantly suggested that me disagreeing with them is purely down to me being political, anti Waterford and so on. Again, I can easily prove you wrong and have done but its ignored. I have donated posters, designs, print, time and money towards a campaign that could be considered anti-government. I have done so with the help of another local business who I personally asked would they get involved. That is the Save Waterford campaign. I'm 100% behind them and continue to offer them anything they need. They are anti-government, they are raising issues that appear not to be in line with government policy - do I care? Yes, I am fully behind the campaign and their ideas.

Its also even more amusing to see the campaign has decided to block me from commenting or posting on their page. But they didn't remove me completely. I guess I rocked their apple cart a little to much in highlighting the false and ridiculous statements. No worries, if they don't want anybody going against their point of view and want to censor my views, I couldn't care less.

Thankfully, Boards.ie allows people to debate and discuss various topics between each other in a fair and balanced way. No bullying, no witch hunting, no bringing in agendas into other topics just to have a go at one particular person and so on.

A proper forum for discussion. This topic is on WGAS, and I am discussing their campaign on topic. I am not posting here to troll, to wind up, or to insult anybody. Everybody has their right to express an opinion one way or another and support whatever campaign they like.

Excuse the long post, but I felt the above message needed to ring in peoples ears a bit more even though I can guarantee you many will tear it apart, rant, complain, and so on without taking in the facts. Maybe those sitting on the fence will see my side and agree its no agenda or nothing personal. Never was and never will be. Not my style.

One person didn't set up WGAS. Where are you getting your facts?

You still won't admit that the city is being downgraded. It bloody is when you compare it to galway. If you say you love your city like you say you do then get behind the WGAS campaign and let your grievances with the person who you named earlier in this thread at the door. It has the same intentions as the save Waterford campaign and more.

If you can't dazzle them with science baffle them with bull**** .
    What a long winded load of tripe, your arrogance knows no bounds young man,but you will go far in politics you already know how to answer a question you were not asked.

wellboy76 wrote: »
    One person didn't set up WGAS. Where are you getting your facts?

You still won't admit that the city is being downgraded. If you say you love your city like you say you do then get behind the WGAS campaign and let your grievances with the person who you named earlier in this thread at the door. It has the same intentions as the save Waterford campaign and more.

The way it was portrayed to me was that one person decided to do something. That person than joined forces with one other person and together they started the campaign. Happy to clarify that.

The City is not being downgraded and I will continue to refute that suggestion. For god sake, we are fighting for years to be recongised as a City and now effectively there is a group going around telling people Phil Hogan took it from us. Yes there is an argument to say its facing more challenges. But that's it. Nobody has proven whether it will go one way or another, with people divided over it.

Nobody can question my passion for Waterford. Sorry, I won't keep harping on about the City because to me Waterford is much more than just the City - its every single town and village across the County.

As for the named individual, again, its being suggested that because I am against WGAS than I am against this individual. That person I have known for years, joined forces on campaigns with in the past, and continue to have a high level of respect for. That person is the only one I know from the campaign committee.

The way it was portrayed to me was that one person decided to do something. That person than joined forces with one other person and together they started the campaign. Happy to clarify that.

The City is not being downgraded and I will continue to refute that suggestion. For god sake, we are fighting for years to be recongised as a City and now effectively there is a group going around telling people Phil Hogan took it from us. Yes there is an argument to say its facing more challenges. But that's it. Nobody has proven whether it will go one way or another, with people divided over it.

Nobody can question my passion for Waterford. Sorry, I won't keep harping on about the City because to me Waterford is much more than just the City - its every single town and village across the County.

As for the named individual, again, its being suggested that because I am against WGAS than I am against this individual. That person I have known for years, joined forces on campaigns with in the past, and continue to have a high level of respect for. That person is the only one I know from the campaign committee.

It is the Governments policy to remove the South East Region. They are proposing the formation of a new Southern Region. The only City in that Southern Region that is not losing its City and County Council is Cork which will obviously become the principle city in the new region. Waterford will be a municipality like all the other municipalities in the region. Do you honestly believe this is not a downgrade?
    Where do you stand on the removal of the South East Region? Where do you stand on Waterford's position within the new Southern Region? Can you honestly say that looking at this in conjunction with the merger that it is not a downgrade of our city? Cork will be the new regions Main City and Waterford will become subservient to it. Now when you look at what happened to Waterford when the IDA office moved there - you don't have to be a genius to surmise that Waterford will get less focus/funding from central Government.

• Advertisement

Yes Boss wrote: »
    It is the Governments policy to remove the South East Region. They are proposing the formation of a new Southern Region. The only City in that Southern Region that is not losing its City and County Council is Cork which will obviously become the principle city in the new region. Waterford will be a municipality like all the other municipalities in the region. Do you honestly believe this is not a downgrade?
    Where do you stand on the removal of the South East Region? Where do you stand on Waterford's position within the new Southern Region? Can you honestly say that looking at this in conjunction with the merger that it is not a downgrade of our city? Cork will be the new regions Main City and Waterford will become subservient to it. Now when you look at what happened to Waterford when the IDA office moved there - you don't have to be a genius to surmise that Waterford will get less focus/funding from central Government.

I'm not arguing about above, I see the point being raised. Its a whole different point to the incorrect statement that we are being downgraded. We are not being downgraded. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

Sully, Karen Frampton spoke out against Save Waterford not WGAS.

There is no vendetta against Phil Hogan, we have an issue with his double Standards. Sadly, this point you seem to totally miss for whatever reason.

I'd prefer to see Kilkenny get full city status than for Waterford to be downgraded. It would make the South East stronger.

I'm not arguing about above, I see the point being raised. Its a whole different point to the incorrect statement that we are being downgraded. We are not being downgraded. Fact.

I don't understand how you cannot make the connection between the removal of the South East region, the creation of a new Southern region with Cork the only County to retain its City and County Status. If Waterford is merged it will become one of the smallest municipalities in the new Region and you believe this is a positive...?

mullanimal wrote: »
    Sully, Karen Frampton spoke out against Save Waterford not WGAS.

Was talking more in general rather than specifically.
    There is no vendetta against Phil Hogan, we have an issue with his double Standards. Sadly, this point you seem to totally miss for whatever reason.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
    I'd prefer to see Kilkenny get full city status than for Waterford to be downgraded. It would make the South East stronger.

For whatever reason, Phil Hogan no longer appears to want the City Status for Kilkenny. Maybe it was just political posturing at the time. He has the power to do so now, and he hasn't. Thankfully he hasn't used his powers to downgrade the City, which was being suggested.

Facing an uphill battle? Maybe. Is that a downgrade? No.
    I don't understand how you cannot make the connection between the removal of the South East region, the creation of a new Southern region with Cork the only County to retain its City and County Status. If Waterford is merged it will become one of the smallest municipalities in the new Region and you believe this is a positive...?

Waterford is part of this region. It will still have a City and County as it was before. As above, Facing an uphill battle? Maybe. Is that a downgrade? No.

I'm not wanting to get bogged down into specifics of what the changes will do to Waterford. That's not for this topic and enough people are complaining how the mods are allowing threads to go constantly off topic.

Was talking more in general rather than specifically.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

For whatever reason, Phil Hogan no longer appears to want the City Status for Kilkenny. Maybe it was just political posturing at the time. He has the power to do so now, and he hasn't. Thankfully he hasn't used his powers to downgrade the City, which was being suggested.

Facing an uphill battle? Maybe. Is that a downgrade? No.

Waterford is part of this region. It will still have a City and County as it was before. As above, Facing an uphill battle? Maybe. Is that a downgrade? No.

I'm not wanting to get bogged down into specifics of what the changes will do to Waterford. That's not for this topic and enough people are complaining how the mods are allowing threads to go constantly off topic.

I'm sorry but the point i am making is central to the argument. A merged Waterford City and County Council will see its position in the new region weakened against the untouched Cork. Therefore, that is a downgrade relative to Corks position.

Now if you were in to conspiracies - you could ask, why the HSE are looking at breaking up the SE Regional Hospital network. Why this Government removed the Regional VEC office from Waterford etc...It's all relative!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 MrsDeiseDoyle

Sully can I please have yours and Boards.ie solicitors details as I am not happy about what has been said here about a campaign I am involved in and the implications of what you are been accusing WGAS of and have been speaking with my solicitor.

I'm sorry but the point i am making is central to the argument. A merged Waterford City and County Council will see its position in the new region weakened against the untouched Cork. Therefore, that is a downgrade relative to Corks position.

Both remain Cities. Both are by law the same type of City. Therefore, they were not downgraded.

The argument you and others should be making is that Waterford *might* be at a disadvantage. For reasons X Y and Z and let the debate commence.
    Now if you were in to conspiracies - you could ask, why the HSE are looking at breaking up the SE Regional Hospital network. Why this Government removed the Regional VEC office from Waterford etc...It's all relative!

Indeed. I don't think WGAS asked about the VEC in that infamous letter, did they? I can't remember, but I am sure they are raising the other issues but while the core point is going on about how Phil Hogan is out to get Waterford and claiming we are no longer a City - than I wont be able to support such a campaign and will be correcting any inaccuracies and false suggestions. Well, I wont be on their Facebook seeing as they blocked me. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Sully there is an old Jewish saying.
    When six people tell you you are sick.....Lie down
    Or "When enough people tell you that you're drunk, sit down!

Sully can I please have yours and Boards.ie solicitors details as I am not happy about what has been said here about a campaign I am involved in and the implications of what you are been accusing WGAS of and have been speaking with my solicitor.

Sure. Email your complaint to hello@boards.ie. As a new user, this was outlined to you in the Terms & Conditions you read and agreed to on signing up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 MrsDeiseDoyle

Sure. Email your complaint to hello@boards.ie. As a new user, this was outlined to you in the Terms & Conditions you read and agreed to on signing up. :)

Already done, thank you for your assistance in this matter Sully, you are the person complaining about cyber bullying :D

Advertisement