Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Waterford city & county merged to save pennies yet that prick Hogan can find 5.5 million for this!

http://www.thejournal.ie/kilkenny-tourism-654624-Oct2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

He is also pumping 13 Million into St. Luke's whilst there is talk of WRH being downgraded??

Phil Hogan "pledged last year that it [St. Luke's] would be retained under a Fine Gael led Government" and he has delivered on that promise. “Despite all the arguments to the contrary, I always firmly believed that Kilkenny, with its population and central location, just could not be left without a major hospital”, said Minister Hogan. (Kilkenny People, Oct 2012)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

comeraghs wrote: »
    Waterford city & county merged to save pennies yet that prick Hogan can find 5.5 million for this!

http://www.thejournal.ie/kilkenny-tourism-654624-Oct2012/[/QUOTE]

Personally I'm happier seeing the investment come to the South East where it might actually have a knock on benefit to Waterford than to the likes of Galway where it would be no benefit to us. A strong south-east tourism drive is required and we need kilkenny for this as its so close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Maybe focusing on Ireland's oldest & the South-East's biggest city to drive tourism would be the "honest" way to go!

Parish Pump politics! That's all this is!

Even Sully couldn't defend this, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Lads hang on a second, Kilkenny's medevial mile is a partner project of our Viking Triangle,

The money for the Triangle came from Failte just like in Kilkenny

From todays Kilkenny people

"The Medieval Mile will be one of two “game-changing developments,” the other being a Viking Triangle in Waterford, said Fáilte Ireland’s head of operations for the South East, Gary Breen."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Maybe focusing on Ireland's oldest & the South-East's biggest city to drive tourism would be the "honest" way to go!

http://m.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/5-5m-boost-for-city-s-medieval-mile-1-4423888

Stroke politics again. And there's no agenda of course......,.,,,,,,,,,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just an FYI;

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80585132

Waterford has and continues to benefit in terms of finances for our Viking Triangle. Kilkenny gets a huge amount of tourists, tour buses and so on so I wouldn't see any reason why they would not get funding. Kilkenny has a lot of history, just like Waterford.

I would only raise an eyebrow in terms of how much funding Waterford got compared to Kilkenny but maybe someone will tell me that there has been a number of government grants received for history in Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Just an FYI;

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80585132

Waterford has and continues to benefit in terms of finances for our Viking Triangle. Kilkenny gets a huge amount of tourists, tour buses and so on so I wouldn't see any reason why they would not get funding. Kilkenny has a lot of history, just like Waterford.

I would only raise an eyebrow in terms of how much funding Waterford got compared to Kilkenny but maybe someone will tell me that there has been a number of government grants received for history in Waterford.

Quick google I did also turned up 9million of funding for the same Triangle back in 2010 as well, it was even discussed on this forum as seen by the link I've included.

I didn't see people say back then how Kilkenny or Wexford was being ignored funding wise, :)

Tourism is very important to Kilkenny and it would be frankly idiotic not to invest in something that the numbers prove draws both tourists and locals from around Ireland to Kilkenny,

The number of international visitors to Kilkenny rose from 206,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2011 which represents 30 per cent of all visitors to the southeast region!. Such important numbers can't and should not be ignored for the sake of once again some people in Waterford getting paranoid and thinking its a big bad plan against Waterford .
    :rolleyes:

The thing here to remember is its attracting people to the South East region and thats good for everyone, be it Kilkenny, Waterford or Wexford. If the likes of American's come to Ireland they see nothing of a 1-2hour drive (even if we moan about it :pac:) going from one town to another to see local sites. So it benefits us all.

Bottom line is you are never going to see places all get funding in the one year, its always going to be x amount of funding one year for one county and x amount of funding another year for another. in this case Waterford got 9million back in 2010 and is getting 1.5million this year and Kilkenny is getting 5.5million this year.

If Waterford gets say 4million next year or the year after then so be it, thats the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

http://www.thejournal.ie/kilkenny-tourism-654624-Oct2012/
    Yes Boss wrote: »
    He is also pumping 13 Million into St. Luke's whilst there is talk of WRH being downgraded??

Phil Hogan "pledged last year that it [St. Luke's] would be retained under a Fine Gael led Government" and he has delivered on that promise. “Despite all the arguments to the contrary, I always firmly believed that Kilkenny, with its population and central location, just could not be left without a major hospital”, said Minister Hogan. (Kilkenny People, Oct 2012)
    In fairness to Hogan the above has nothing to do with him or his department, though of course he used his influence in getting that funding.

Funding for Kilkenny tourism = Dept. of Tourism and Failte Ireland - this was probably already allocated as part of their budgets and Hogan is merely announcing this as he is the TD for Kilkenny, much the same way Ciara Conway can announce €500k for a cycle route (read: white line and ditch trimming) between Tramore and Waterford.

Hospital funding = Dept. of Health and HSE

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

much the same way Ciara Conway can announce €500k for a cycle route (read: white line and ditch trimming) between Tramore and Waterford.

Is that really it?! I assumed there was more to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In fairness to Hogan the above has nothing to do with him or his department, though of course he used his influence in getting that funding.

Funding for Kilkenny tourism = Dept. of Tourism and Failte Ireland - this was probably already allocated as part of their budgets and Hogan is merely announcing this as he is the TD for Kilkenny, much the same way Ciara Conway can announce €500k for a cycle route (read: white line and ditch trimming) between Tramore and Waterford.

Hospital funding = Dept. of Health and HSE

Oh, is that what that is?! I was trying to figure out why we had three white lines on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ah there could well be, and probably is, more planned to it. I don't know what else though.

I just referenced that as an example of our own TDs announcing things in Waterford that they probably had nothing to do with, and to show that we get funding for things too, and that other places might look at and think, 'there's Waterford getting €500k for a cycle route, what about us?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Cabaal wrote: »
    Quick google I did also turned up 9million of funding for the same Triangle back in 2010 as well, it was even discussed on this forum as seen by the link I've included.

I didn't see people say back then how Kilkenny or Wexford was being ignored funding wise, :)

Tourism is very important to Kilkenny and it would be frankly idiotic not to invest in something that the numbers prove draws both tourists and locals from around Ireland to Kilkenny,

The number of international visitors to Kilkenny rose from 206,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2011 which represents 30 per cent of all visitors to the southeast region!. Such important numbers can't and should not be ignored for the sake of once again some people in Waterford getting paranoid and thinking its a big bad plan against Waterford .
    :rolleyes:

The thing here to remember is its attracting people to the South East region and thats good for everyone, be it Kilkenny, Waterford or Wexford. If the likes of American's come to Ireland they see nothing of a 1-2hour drive (even if we moan about it :pac:) going from one town to another to see local sites. So it benefits us all.

Bottom line is you are never going to see places all get funding in the one year, its always going to be x amount of funding one year for one county and x amount of funding another year for another. in this case Waterford got 9million back in 2010 and is getting 1.5million this year and Kilkenny is getting 5.5million this year.

If Waterford gets say 4million next year or the year after then so be it, thats the way it goes.

Ad Hominem attacks aside the point isn't whether its ok for Waterford and not for Kilkenny or vice versa. The approach taken by this government who practically promised a revolution in the way the government does business has been exactly the same as Fine Fail. So instead of policy based on evidence and data we have parochial stunts that in the medium to long term will denigrate the region and country. Its strange that you are unable to comment on this obvious fact.The fact that Phil Hogan is able to get Primary Care facilities delivered to KK ahead of other areas of higher priority is not tin foil hat stuff as you claim but reported facts. Or millions injected into his local hospital where it will not be needed long term. Or a million to support an empty develiopment in Ferrybank. This are the parochial stunts we are complaining about.

Ad Hominem attacks aside the point isn't whether its ok for Waterford and not for Kilkenny or vice versa. The approach taken by this government who practically promised a revolution in the way the government does business has been exactly the same as Fine Fail. So instead of policy based on evidence and data we have parochial stunts that in the medium to long term will denigrate the region and country. Its strange that you are unable to comment on this obvious fact.The fact that Phil Hogan is able to get Primary Care facilities delivered to KK ahead of other areas of higher priority is not tin foil hat stuff as you claim but reported facts. Or millions injected into his local hospital where it will not be needed long term. Or a million to support an empty develiopment in Ferrybank. This are the parochial stunts we are complaining about.

I'd be first to agree with you about the failed promises by this government and the complete lack of progress on real reform. I have said this before, I have it said on the Ministers Facebook pages and I will continue to say it like many others.

But I wont stand for nor accept the constant bitching and whining that goes on down here. We have such a negative view to a lot of the country because of our militant negative attitude that is yet again being highlighted by this campaign which is clinging onto bull**** and attacking TDs/Ministers without much foundation when they could be spreading postivity instead or at the very least basing their campaign on more serious pressing issues for Waterford.

To think that Waterford folk would be so furious and negative towards Kilkenny getting aid to boost their historic city center is absolutely sickening. Waterford has and continues to get government aid, directly or indirectly, to boost our chances at tackling into the big tourism market that Ireland has. To assist in the growth and recovery of Waterford and the County. Kilkenny and many other historic cities should be given equal chance of receiving same.

I cant see Ireland ever moving away from Parish Pump Politics, sadly. You want Ministers and TDs to stop but they wont get re-elected. The people wont elect people unless they get jobs done in their area. But Waterford has benefited when having a Minister in government, and this is what many wanted to happen for Waterford and are calling on our TDs to do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I'd be first to agree with you about the failed promises by this government and the complete lack of progress on real reform. I have said this before, I have it said on the Ministers Facebook pages and I will continue to say it like many others.

But I wont stand for nor accept the constant bitching and whining that goes on down here. We have such a negative view to a lot of the country because of our militant negative attitude that is yet again being highlighted by this campaign which is clinging onto bull**** and attacking TDs/Ministers without much foundation when they could be spreading postivity instead or at the very least basing their campaign on more serious pressing issues for Waterford.

To think that Waterford folk would be so furious and negative towards Kilkenny getting aid to boost their historic city center is absolutely sickening. Waterford has and continues to get government aid, directly or indirectly, to boost our chances at tackling into the big tourism market that Ireland has. To assist in the growth and recovery of Waterford and the County. Kilkenny and many other historic cities should be given equal chance of receiving same.

I cant see Ireland ever moving away from Parish Pump Politics, sadly. You want Ministers and TDs to stop but they wont get re-elected. The people wont elect people unless they get jobs done in their area. But Waterford has benefited when having a Minister in government, and this is what many wanted to happen for Waterford and are calling on our TDs to do the exact same thing.

More excuses for failure! The “constant bitching” as you put itis a rational response to the neglect that this city and region is currently experiencing because of the corrosive behavior of one of the most parochial minded TD’s inthe country occupying an influential position in the government. It has nothingto do with militancy and any suggestion that it has is an attempt on your part to deflect criticism away from FG. Our elected FG and Labour politicians have proven so far to be useless and have done nothing to defend us from such activity. Nobody is begrudging Kilkenny anything but there is a staggering amount of evidence that proper regional development is being squandered so Phil Hogan and others can continue to deliver Pork to their constituencies. It isnot just us saying it! The newspapers, Broadcast media and online forums are all saying it. The laughable thing is is that it is/was so predictable. Yes Waterford has benefitted from having a Minister in Government. But what Waterford has and Kilkenny or Wexford hasn’t got is that the evidence based data points squarely to Waterford (Not Kilkenny!,Not Wexford!) as being the most cost effective place to invest resources. This has been always the way it was and there is independent reports going back forty years to support it.

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/2262/7358/1/jssisiVolXXIIPartII_179208.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

quick question... did coffey welcome the cycle route? thats all he seems to do, another poster said something about td's announcing/welcoming local developments that they had no hand act or part in.. too true

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Earlier I mentioned that Dermot Keyes from the Munster was doing a piece on the merger, well its out today and makes fairly shocking reading,

The article is in two sections the second section is Keyes defending his own position re : anti-merger. The first most interesting part is his coverage of the merger debate. Its to long to copy fully but ill throw up some key points

The title is High Farce in City Hall

It starts by saying that the "argument to reduce local authority numbers could have had a better advertisment than last thursdays meeting of WCC"

He goes on to describe 127" toe curling minutes" he goes onto to say that the meeting actually didnt really discuss the merger at all but consisted of

" Fiana Fail did this, Fine Gael did that , Sinn Fein did this, Independents can say anthing they like, They shower across the bridge are useless, Gombeens "

Keyes states that he has covered various authorities over 13 years but this was the worst he has ever seen.

I had the misfortune to see some of this meeting and I couldnt agree more.

A reminder that posters that decide to post unconfirmed rumours or speculate, are going against our Forum Charter and it is something you can be banned for. This rule is in place for a very good reason. Any questions, please send me or one of the mods a PM. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Hope everyone can get out Saturday week for one final push

https://www.facebook.com/events/458906864147507/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Any suggestions on what we should do about the hospital being downgraded aswell sully?

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what we should do about the hospital being downgraded aswell sully?

Thread on this here;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790237

Waterford Gives A Shirt campaign still obsessed with the City & County merger which is absolutely nowhere near as big an issue as our Hospital being downgraded. Priorities clearly focused on a non-issue rather than a very serious issue for Waterford.

What can you do? Not much. Some of the local TDs, Cllrs and Senators are working on this actively. Likewise across the South East. This is what needs to be done - these are the people who can work to save our Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Thread on this here;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790237

Waterford Gives A Shirt campaign still obsessed with the City & County merger which is absolutely nowhere near as big an issue as our Hospital being downgraded. Priorities clearly focused on a non-issue rather than a very serious issue for Waterford.

What can you do? Not much. Some of the local TDs, Cllrs and Senators are working on this actively. Likewise across the South East. This is what needs to be done - these are the people who can work to save our Hospital.

I was of the understanding that the WGS campaign had broadend itself to cover bigger issues in the county aswell as the city status.

No TD's showed up to the meeting for WRH, one was ill, one was ata wedding and one had family comitments one hasnt given an explanation as far as im aware.

Ill head over to that topic now.

thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Priorities clearly focused on a non-issue rather than a very serious issue for Waterford.

We're aware that you disagree with the campaign but to call it a non issue is a bit insulting to people who've suffered lack of attention from state agencies already and haven't a cent to spend on their families.

This is because Waterford's been left to rot while attention is pumped into Dublin Cork and Galway.

The city status campaign is a name for equal attention to be given to this city as others. The WRH issue is part if that. The treatment of Limerick and Waterford is an indication of the priorities of this FG led government, which is worse than the shocking performance of FF.

Non issue indeed..

Trotter wrote: »
    We're aware that you disagree with the campaign but to call it a non issue is a bit insulting to people who've suffered lack of attention from state agencies already and haven't a cent to spend on their families.

This is because Waterford's been left to rot while attention is pumped into Dublin Cork and Galway.

The city status campaign is a name for equal attention to be given to this city as others. The WRH issue is part if that. The treatment of Limerick and Waterford is an indication of the priorities of this FG led government, which is worse than the shocking performance of FF.

Non issue indeed..

I never disagreed with the lack of attention from state agencies. I disagreed with a campaign that keeps focusing on our City Status. That's a non issue. It never was. It wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I never disagreed with the lack of attention from state agencies. I disagreed with a campaign that keeps focusing on our City Status. That's a non issue. It never was. It wont be.

Thats semantics. The Waterford Gives a Shirt campaign is there because of a series of event that have chipped away at Waterford's ability to compete with other cities. I dont believe thats an accident either. Its not the name 'city' thats at issue here, its what the name city should provide to an area. The city status was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I dont care if they name us Waterford Village if it means the IDA will flood the place with good jobs and we're ridded of the parish pump 'move it all to my place from Waterford' attitude.

Its a question of equality for the gateway cities. The removal of the city council is a symptom of the main problem which is the systematic destruction of Waterford.

Trotter wrote: »
    Thats semantics. The Waterford Gives a Shirt campaign is there because of a series of event that have chipped away at Waterford's ability to compete with other cities. I dont believe thats an accident either. Its not the name 'city' thats at issue here, its what the name city should provide to an area. The city status was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I dont care if they name us Waterford Village if it means the IDA will flood the place with good jobs and we're ridded of the parish pump 'move it all to my place from Waterford' attitude.

Its a question of equality for the gateway cities. The removal of the city council is a symptom of the main problem which is the systematic destruction of Waterford.

I have said that the campaign needs to focus more than spreading rumours about City Status. They have failed to do so. If they want to be taken seriously and want to highlight the problems - do so directly and stop poking around about Phil Hogan and our City Status.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Protest planned for Saturday 10th of November to join up with the Waterford gives a shirt campaign.http://http://www.facebook.com/events/503665246317907/504185102932588/?notif_t=event_mall_reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I have said that the campaign needs to focus more than spreading rumours about City Status. They have failed to do so. If they want to be taken seriously and want to highlight the problems - do so directly and stop poking around about Phil Hogan and our City Status.

Sully - seriously man you need to give the whole pro-FG thing a rest. They are assholes - just like FF were. Do you really think they give a flying fcuk about your defence of them - for whatever your reasons are?

The WGAS lads are fantastic. The City firmly at their heart and core. Its a shame that politicians can't do the some - especially the agenda-driven bogmen from outside this county.

You should really consider your position and the support you lend to these cretins.

You go on about negativity. If complaining in order to get your fair share is negativity then so be it. Here's one example of FGs attitude to Waterford city:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

"Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered.

While its’ local representatives have long been behind the campaign the party itself has been reluctant to commit itself. But that has now changed and amid fears that the government is going to refuse an upgrading of WIT when it responds to the Port Report, Mr. Hayes came to Waterford on Monday to confirm his support and that of his leader Enda Kenny".

Still waiting.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ I cant stand to see this whole "Waterford needs a University" issue rear its head over and over. I was in college in WIT for 6 years between 2000 and 2006 and it was a heated debate back then, with local TDs rallying for support off the government of the day to upgrade us to university, endless meetings between college officials, Mayors and TDs but nothing ever became of it and nothing WILL come of it. Somebody somewhere is blocking the possibility of Waterford becoming a University, be it the college staff who have something to lose, the government who dont see it as priority or the TDs who are makig the campaign hostile. At this stage of the complicated game it doesnt even matter.

Waterford has been treated very badly, jobs wise, these past 2 or 3 years and having a University is not the magic wand that people seem to think it is. Companies will not invest in our region as a result of the mere presence of a university, people need to let this go and focus on the very worthy fights for jobs, hospitals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

So, Sully,
    As an FG propagandist do you advocate targeting every government councillor and TD (if they can be found) and making the issue clear to them and explaining how their political careers will be ended if they don't resolve this matter?

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement