Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford gives a shirt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Do you think that local businesses, who were on the committee that made the recommendation, did this to just save money and put us on the back pedal? A reminder of some of those who compiled the report... Mr Frank O’Regan (Vice President, Global Operations, Bausch & Lomb) and Ms. Louise Grubb (Managing Director, NutriScience). Its chaired by a local man, Mr. Sean Aylward (former Secretary General, Department of
    Justice, Equality and Law Reform).

Advantages of this merger, as identified in the report, include strong local leadership, more cohesive economic and social development, enhanced public service coordination and integration, better and more efficient staffing arrangements and financial savings.

Well, big swinging mickies. And this makes it right?
    They seemed to be suggestions that due to their higher population, it was needed.

Absolute rubbish. Galway City and County Councils administrative offices are practically next door to each other. Duplication across the board, which is not being touched.
    None of our local reps in the Dail, afaik, are objecting to this.

Ergo the problem. Not articulating the will of the masses, but a party political agenda. ****ing dopes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Em..shouldnt the role of the moderator be just to come in now and again when things are getting abusive/heated between members on the forum threads? Why is a thread about a support campaign for Waterford filled with so much debate about the views of a moderator....:confused:

Didn't you get the memo? I didn't, but it appears others did. Moderators are not allowed have personal opinions. :/

Em..shouldnt the role of the moderator be just to come in now and again when things are getting abusive/heated between members on the forum threads? Why is a thread about a support campaign for Waterford filled with so much debate about the views of a moderator....:confused:

Because it is a conflict of interests? Given that said moderator is plugging a FG agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Careful he is always right , everyone else is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ok Sully is a FGer but why not just argue the point with him. He's not denying he's a dirty blueshirt (Thats the technical term Sully yeah? ;)) but the thread is more craic if we just argue the point and focus on why he's totally and utterly shockingly wrong as opposed to just hopping off his FGness.

I got your back Sully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wait, im confused here, is the mod here the same person/organisation behind Waterford gives a Shirt? If that is the case then fair enough as they are obviously going to have opinions on the pros and cons of the campaign, is it the same guy who tried to get Waterford on the TV3 map few years back, I couldnt take to him at all but the campaign i obviously support. Thing is, mods on this forum usually just step in to lock threads or warn people but I see nothing but bashing and arguments carrying over into several threads. Shouldnt they just be impartial and step in when needed??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Well, big swinging mickies. And this makes it right?

So disregard everyone's opinion and just stick with yours, shall we?
    Absolute rubbish. Galway City and County Councils administrative offices are practically next door to each other. Duplication across the board, which is not being touched.

What does the location of the administrative offices got to do with anything though? There about 20mins apart.
    Ergo the problem. Not articulating the will of the masses, but a party political agenda. ****ing dopes.

So all parties are buying into the Fine Gael agenda, including an Independent TD?

So disregard everyone's opinion and just stick with yours, shall we?

Isn't that what your lords and masters in FG - supported by people like you - are doing?
    What does the location of the administrative offices got to do with anything though? There about 20mins apart.

If you use the helicopter. If there are real savings to be made then shut down the Dungarvan offices and make Waterford City the HQ - like Coffey said it would be.
    So all parties are buying into the Fine Gael agenda, including an Independent TD?

Nice try. But I'm sure even you can get the jist Sully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There were reasons given why Galway councils aren't being merged in the "Putting People First - Action Programme for Effective Local Government".

Interesting to note though that no independent report was done to examine the case for merging Galway councils like there was for Waterford.
    7.3 Local government arrangements in other cities and counties

7.3.1 Of the other combinations of authorities for which the LGER proposed joint management arrangements, while amalgamation of authorities would, in principle, have the potential to achieve certain benefits of the type anticipated in the case of Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford, the case for
    merger is not as compelling.

For example, the need to merge authorities in order to address significant social, economic and development issues or to remedy shortcomings associated with fragmentation in local government, as in Limerick and Waterford, does not arise in other areas. In some cases a high degree of co-operation and joint service arrangements already exist, for example, between Galway City and County Councils, which were established in their current status as recently as 1985.

The ratio of staff to population in both of the Galway authorities is relatively low and there is no significant imbalance between the commercial rate levels. Amalgamation of the Galway authorities would result in a population of over 250,000, higher than any area outside of Cork and Dublin and significantly greater than any of the proposed new unified authorities.

While areas adjacent to Galway City are closely linked to and influenced by the City and are likely to be subject to future development, significant “overspill” of suburban development and population beyond the city boundary has not yet occurred to the extent that has been experienced in Limerick and Waterford.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31309,en.pdf

Trotter wrote: »
    When that report was written Sully, do you think the committee was aware it would be for Waterford only and not the competing regions?

Just spotted this now. They were instructed by Phil Hogan (as Minister for the Environment) to investigate the idea of merging Waterford City & County Council. That was their task and the other mergers didn't come into it. Other committees were setup also, instructed to investigate the respective councils.

That was Limerick, Tipperary, and Waterford.

What is interesting though is that the An Bord Snip Nua Report recommended that in addition to Waterford, Cork & Galway got merged also. But a Galway paper, back in January, stated that this was on the cards for them in the future. A Government Efficiency Review group in 2011 suggested the same.

Will it in the future? Good question. Why wasn't it? Good question.
    Because it is a conflict of interests? Given that said moderator is plugging a FG agenda?
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Careful he is always right , everyone else is wrong.

Again folks, do show me where my moderation was politically biased in any shape or form. Then show it to a CMod. Then if I am wrong, I will be proven wrong.
    Ok Sully is a FGer but why not just argue the point with him. He's not denying he's a dirty blueshirt (Thats the technical term Sully yeah? ;)) but the thread is more craic if we just argue the point and focus on why he's totally and utterly shockingly wrong as opposed to just hopping off his FGness.

I got your back Sully.

Ill need to check what the party policy on this is first, Trotter. :P

• Advertisement

They were instructed by Phil Hogan (as Minister for the Environment) to investigate the idea of merging Waterford City & County Council.

Aaaand we're done here.

Aaaand we're done here.

But that's Phil Hogans job. It was reported well before Phil Hogan came into power that Waterford should be merged. He carried out another report despite their being numerous ones before him calling for it. Surely his hatred for Waterford he wouldn't have had to call for another report when there was at least two sitting at his desk when he became Minister?

But that's Phil Hogans job. It was reported well before Phil Hogan came into power that Waterford should be merged. He carried out another report despite their being numerous ones before him calling for it. Surely his hatred for Waterford he wouldn't have had to call for another report when there was at least two sitting at his desk when he became Minister?

He didn't have to go through with it. The biblical term in his case was bread from Heaven.............

He didn't have to go through with it. The biblical term in his case was bread from Heaven.............

Numerous reports suggested it (along with most other reforms he did) in addition to Cork and Galway. He went ahead, skipping Cork and Galway. I don't fully grasp why, but I don't believe its to damage Waterford anyway.

Numerous reports suggested it (along with most other reforms he did) in addition to Cork and Galway. He went ahead, skipping Cork and Galway. I don't fully grasp why, but I don't believe its to damage Waterford anyway.

Theres where we differ I suppose. It was beneficial to a KK man with an axe to grind to knock Waterford without knocking Galway and Cork. It was clear that the Galway or Cork TDs wouldnt stand for it but the opposite being true of Waterford. The chance came and it was taken.

Theres where we differ I suppose. It was beneficial to a KK man with an axe to grind to knock Waterford without knocking Galway and Cork. It was clear that the Galway or Cork TDs wouldnt stand for it but the opposite being true of Waterford. The chance came and it was taken.

How does Waterford being hit help Kilkenny tho? Kilkenny is suffering just as much as Waterford. The South East was hit with this and I think anything that hits Waterford tends to have a ripple of an effect across the South East.

Before Phil was in power, reports came and suggested Waterford being merged. Pre-Phil! Phil then came in and asked for another fecking report to be done just to double check, the recommendation from locals was to go ahead with it and he did. Just like he did with Limerick and Tip. He also made changes to his own constituency. This is his job lads! He didn't come into power and then start doing things to **** with Waterford.

On the plus side he gave 1.44 million euro for Waterford Co. Co. to do water mains rehabilitation works t he other day. Why? Because its his job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

OK so, after a read: Moderators are entitled to contribute to threads on their forums as they feel fit. They take the time to moderate the place, they're more than welcome to contribute no matter what their affiliations or beliefs once these opinions don't impose on an independent moderating capacity.

Sully has admitted a FG affiliation, if anyone feels that these views have impinged on the flow or direction of this thread feel free to PM me with specific contributions for review.

I would request that Sully will use Bold Font [such as I am] when posting as a moderator so as no ambiguity regarding the moderator/user contributions can be drawn.

OK so, after a read: Moderators are entitled to contribute to threads on their forums as they feel fit. They take the time to moderate the place, they're more than welcome to contribute no matter what their affiliations or beliefs once these opinions don't impose on an independent moderating capacity.

Sully has admitted a FG affiliation, if anyone feels that these views have impinged on the flow or direction of this thread feel free to PM me with specific contributions for review.

I would request that Sully will use Bold Font [such as I am] when posting as a moderator so as no ambiguity regarding the moderator/user contributions can be drawn.

Yeah they are entiteld to their opinions but on very few boards threads do the moderators engage in ongoing and distracting debates with users just as an excuse to ram their political views down other users, so its out of order. I cant seem to open a Waterford thread without a side-argument between Sully and others regarding FG and political bias, for God sake give it a rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yeah they are entiteld to their opinions but on very few boards threads do the moderators engage in ongoing and distracting debates with users
    This happens in nearly every single forum. Moderators are users too. Would you like ongoing and distracting debates between standard users to disappear too? If you don't like seeing certain people's posts, there's an ignore list.
    just as an excuse to ram their political views down other users, so its out of order.
    If I had a nickle for every time I've seen someone cry "political bias" against Sully. I would have a metric ****tonne of nickles.
    I cant seem to open a Waterford thread without a side-argument between Sully and others regarding FG and political bias, for God sake give it a rest.
    Welcome to the internet, it happens quite often.

I'm not a politics person so I've just been lurking and reading posts. Everytime someone brings out the "FG bias" or "As a moderator you should/shouldn't..." lines, it reeks of not being able to add anything else to an argument. For as long as I've been on Boards, Sully has been a mod for this forum and clearly the fact that he joins in on threads hasn't done anyone any harm in the last 4 years.

Can ye move on from the mod thing? Because I'm quite enjoying watching him and 7upfree go back and forth.

Well you might be enjoying it but Im not and Im sure others arent either. Yes of course he is entitled to his opinion etc and I have seen mods join in on conversations in other forums but its spoiling some of the threads here as any point made seems to go straight back to lengthy FG debates plus Sully does bite a lot, he cant seem to resist. As a mod, he now appears as someone who is 100% biased towards any FG topics so if a member is offended by or wants to report a post regarding FG, they can hardly go to him, he is not an independent mod in that regard.

How about Sully you start a thread that says "I am a lifelong fan of FG and all it stands for, anyone got a problem with that?" and then bite to your hearts content, at least it would be contained (hopefully) to the one thread!

I dont know you at all Sully and im sure you are a decent person, but all I see (from an outside perspective) is someone being 100% wound up and played by others..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I was under the impressions that somewhere in this thread Sully had said that he had withdrawn from moderating it so that he could express his views? I can't recall the post where he said that, and at this late hour I can't be bothered to look. However, I really don't care if he is a FG supporter or a disciple of the Antichrist. If he has an opinion, and can express it reasonably, then I am prepared to listen even if I strongly disagree with it, as I do with some of his posts. I am also prepared to accept that some of his comments are ones that I can acknowledge. Who was it who said something like "I disagree with your views, but I defend your right to express them."? Aren't all mod interventions normally in bold text? If a post from a mod isn't in bold then I assume he is not moderating. Is that hard to understand?

As long as the comments are presented as the opinions of an individual and not as a policeman, then I am happy to accept them. That, I believe, applies in this case. I am not an apologist for Sully or anyone else. But I suspect that this debate is being dragged off course by all of this, when the issues are of importance not just to Waterford but to the Irish people.

I would even venture to suggest that our government ministers might consider that divide and think if when they make pronouncements they are acting as individuals expressing an opinion or as policemen. The Children's Referendum and the Supreme Court ruling seems to me to be a case to point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

In fairness if I'm wrong I will put my hands up and say so and apologize but I think this is something that the users should have a say in as otherwise the Waterford thread is going to fold faster than Superman on laundry day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Category mod posts decision, and yer still giving out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

So let me get this straight...you don't like what he's saying so you give out about him being a mod?

I'm just trying to get a clear view of what the problem is...I'm only new here obviously but it seems that people just don't like that his opinion is different to other people's so you use his title as moderator to try and shut him up.

If you're going to give out about his modding than you need to do that specifically, and trying to get him "e-fired" for mistaking someone's identity just seems to be nit-picking tbh.

It makes me laugh when I read people say things like "he can't be saying that - he's a mod". Essentially all a mod is, is the person that he teacher asks to stand up at the board when he heads off for a while. Still just another member of the class, albeit with the power of the chalk in his hands. Ye need to admit now that its his FG bias that ye can't stomach, rather than his modding prowess, and all that tells me is that ye need to scrub up on your debating abilities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Please refrain from discussing moderatation on thread it only serves to derail the discussion. Feel free to PM the moderators with any questions or queries.

I'll be removing people's access if it continues.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Ok, back to the original thread - is additional 30 black sacks collected on Saturday any close to 50K shirts goal?

vdrNW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

They said on Facebook that it was unclear if it was 50k or not but that it didn't matter as they were close enough. They are now looking for suggestions on what to do with the shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Cut into strips an decorate all the trees in the county :)
    CON338_watermark_image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Jason Todd wrote: »
    They said on Facebook that it was unclear if it was 50k or not but that it didn't matter as they were close enough. They are now looking for suggestions on what to do with the shirts.

Are they not actually being delivered to the Govt? Surely thats the big media hit there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

KevIRL wrote: »
    Are they not actually being delivered to the Govt? Surely thats the big media hit there?

They're being delivered symbolically to the government for publicity, but WGAS is not just going to fcuk off afterwards and leave their litter on Kildare Street for the council to clear up.

The whole intention is that the shirts will then be given to a charity or charities, who can then use them just like any other clothing collection charity would.

Advertisement