Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt Water Fly Fishing

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi All,

With my trout season over, I am very keen to have a go at salt water fly fishing. but I havent a clue whats required or where to start or even what i'd be fishing for? Bass I would imagine? Mackerel are gone soon arnt they? I heard Mullet will readily take flies?

Is there special gear required? Its usually windy at the beach/ by the shore is there a special technique for casting in heavy winds?

I suppose the most important things is what flies to use?! I'm completely in the dark on this stuff!

Thanks Folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

pedro7 wrote: »
    Hi All,

With my trout season over, I am very keen to have a go at salt water fly fishing. but I havent a clue whats required or where to start or even what i'd be fishing for? Bass I would imagine? Mackerel are gone soon arnt they? I heard Mullet will readily take flies?

Is there special gear required? Its usually windy at the beach/ by the shore is there a special technique for casting in heavy winds?

I suppose the most important things is what flies to use?! I'm completely in the dark on this stuff!

Thanks Folks!!

Hi hopefully someone with experience will come along to answer you properly but in the mean time from what little I know...
    You will need a rod of 7 weight or upwards 8/9. Fast sinking lines. A stripping basket and be able to double haul to cope with headwinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FatMickey

Hi Pedro

I think you’re making the right move but also think you picked a bad time to try it with the fly… As Chuileog has mentioned you will need an #8/9 Rod for powering the line into the wind using big fly’s / lures but for fish like the mullet which are normally under your feet the #7 is more than adequate,

I don’t think the mullet will be around for much longer because of the sea temp dropping, spinning for Bass & Pollock might be more productive for you until you get a feel for the areas you want to fish,

There is a site called “seaanglingireland.org” where you will find out all you need to know about this and other types of sea fishing,

You will first have to register and make 3 post’s before you will be allowed to view the shore and boat reports but if you go into the “shore angling question’s” on the site they will fill you in on what’s needed,

They really are a helpful bunch. I felt kinda lost myself many years ago when I had to put away the trout gear at the end of the season so I too took up the sea fishing and loved it so much that the only time my trout fly rod see’s daylight is when I’m after mullet…trout fishing has gone out of my system “for now”

I have done a lot of shore fishing for thornback ray’s / bass / codling / conger / Pollock / Bullhuss using bait’s such as lug / razor and fish to name a few.. so if you think I might be able to get you started just ask and I will be happy to oblige.

Advertisement