Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Carlow

Options
  • 08-10-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Lads, I'm living just outside Borris and have been using Eircom for Broadband. I pay for 3Meg download but I get approx 2.2 ish if I'm lucky. I could upgrade to 4Meg as it's the max my line can take I'm told. The guy in Eircom told me I'd be wasting my time upgrading to 4 as the difference would be marginal. Anyone using a different provider in this neck of the woods and what speeds are you gettiing? Any information gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

I'm not in your neck of the woods but Aptus might be an option for you.
    www.aptus.ie

They're based in Carlow Town with the owner from somewhere between Bagenalstown and Borris. I have a number of clients using them, mostly happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

I don't know if this helps but I got an o2 dongle thing, now normally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but I got it cheap so I chanced it while I am holding out for sky. I get consistent 7mb download speeds in Carlow Town.. So depending on what you use your broadband for it might be an option. Just speed tested there now.

[IMG][/img]speedtest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I don't know if this helps but I got an o2 dongle thing, now normally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole but I got it cheap so I chanced it while I am holding out for sky. I get consistent 7mb download speeds in Carlow Town.. So depending on what you use your broadband for it might be an option. Just speed tested there now.

[IMG][/img]speedtest.jpg

I live in Myshall and was tethering off my O2 phone and the speeds were brilliant. I tried out their mobile broadband when it came out first and found i was always exceeding my limit no matter how hard i kept an eye on it. What are they like now?

The Aptus service is excellent btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I live in Myshall and was tethering off my O2 phone and the speeds were brilliant. I tried out their mobile broadband when it came out first and found i was always exceeding my limit no matter how hard i kept an eye on it. What are they like now?

The Aptus service is excellent btw.
    Live in Myshall too and i'm on the o2 dondle...it's great up here, better than the 3 i used to have...but i do tend to exceed my DL, though thats down to me more so than the service itself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thwip! wrote: »
    Live in Myshall too and i'm on the o2 dondle...it's great up here, better than the 3 i used to have...but i do tend to exceed my DL, though thats down to me more so than the service itself

Just had a browse at the O2 forum and they charge €20 for every gb over the limit.

I'd have to sell the car to pay the first bill.

I'll hold out with three until my contract is up and go with Aptus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Just had a browse at the O2 forum and they charge €20 for every gb over the limit.

I'd have to sell the car to pay the first bill.

I'll hold out with three until my contract is up and go with Aptus.
    two months ago i got a bill for 94 and some change.... nasty shock :P

I refuse to go over, I will shut the thing off for the last week of a month if was close. But since i got sky - sports etc I don't use the web for much more than forums and facebook. I personally seen a bill from o2 for €620 for broadband for one month.

I went in to the shop with my old college ID and got the student deal.

That was only €10 a month for 15gb and it only works out at €1 per gb for going over. Some deal they had with the colleges. If you know or have a student card you could chance getting that as the speeds are pretty good for any internet never mnd mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Thanks for the replies. I've looked around and have actually ordered Aptus. Think I should have it installed at some stage this week. Most people seem to have postive things to say about them. Its €49.99 per month for the 7meg download. There's a 50 gig download limit on it but you get an email when your approaching this threshold.

My bigger problem now is mobile. I had Vodafone and got lovely 3g signal at home. We've changed provider in work to o2 and I can't get 3g at all in the house or in the garden. O2 even gave me a repeater to boost the 3g signal but to no avail. You have to have some signal in order for it to boost. Very frustrating. You'd think I was living on the moon. Any suggestions? (bar moving back to Vodafone)

Why do you need 3g at home? Will your home broadband not suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Why do you need 3g at home? Will your home broadband not suffice?

Well it's more my mobile signal in general that's the problem. It's 1 bar or no service throughout the house. Can't really make or receive calls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement