Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Half Marathon & 10km 24th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Signed up for the half. Last run before the Connemarathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

dechol wrote: »
    Hi. Interested in this but can't see start time anywhere on website? Also what is the story with parking or is there train station close by ?

Half starts at 10.30am and 10km at 10.40am

The train station is bout 1.5m away max (my estimate)

Parking won't be a problem. I send out maps with the bumph a week b4

Group rate offer for Half marathon until 1st March
    Enter 5 or more via website link and get 15% off. Works out at €34 per head.
    Link here to avail of group entry http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1150991

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Hi there, I was just wondering how hilly the new route is? I'm a bit of a novice and found the half in Waterford a bit hilly on the second 10km. think its my own ignorance at not being able to figure out 'elevation' and 'gain' on the course map!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

anais wrote: »
    Hi there, I was just wondering how hilly the new route is? I'm a bit of a novice and found the half in Waterford a bit hilly on the second 10km. think its my own ignorance at not being able to figure out 'elevation' and 'gain' on the course map!

Ran it as part of my LSR at the weekend, starts at 3.2 miles and then I veer off the route with about 0.5 miles to go.

Miles 1 - 3 flat, with a couple of bumps.
    Miles 4 - 6.2, this is where you'll need to pace yourself, there are several climbs, but each one is short lived (0.3miles the longest) and broken up will flat sections. Good news when you hit 6.2 miles you are the the high point of the course.
    Miles 6.2 - 10, mainly downhill and flat, but still a few bumps from time to time, but a good chance to make back time.
    Mile 11 is predominantly up, but never steep, so very runable, but you'll lose some time here.
    Miles 12 - Finish, best to say it's rolling, you can make some time back here and the last 0.5 will be quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ran it as part of my LSR.

Thanks BeepBeep for the info, although now im just jealous that you LSR pace is 7:34 :(

I think you speak for a few of us there EMPM..... :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Ran it as part of my LSR at the weekend, starts at 3.2 miles and then I veer off the route with about 0.5 miles to go.

Miles 1 - 3 flat, with a couple of bumps.
    Miles 4 - 6.2, this is where you'll need to pace yourself, there are several climbs, but each one is short lived (0.3miles the longest) and broken up will flat sections. Good news when you hit 6.2 miles you are the the high point of the course.
    Miles 6.2 - 10, mainly downhill and flat, but still a few bumps from time to time, but a good chance to make back time.
    Mile 11 is predominantly up, but never steep, so very runable, but you'll lose some time here.
    Miles 12 - Finish, best to say it's rolling, you can make some time back here and the last 0.5 will be quick.

Thanks so much to for taking the time to reply in such detail! Really helps, will give it a go and do a bit of hill training in she meantime. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Are there pacers at this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shoxsdub

Done clontarf last year and thought it was good race. Didn't know this was in the series and the same crew organize, might give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

Ive signed up for the half - training a bit hit and miss though

dechol wrote: »
    Are there pacers at this race?

Not this year. We'll bed in the new course first. I think ye're going to like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Not this year. We'll bed in the new course first. I think ye're going to like it :)

Seems like a strange reason not to provide pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

pistol_75 wrote: »

Seems like a strange reason not to provide pacers
    Especially considering the price

Online entry will close on the 18th of March.

We will have New reg in Dublin (Ballyfermot) on Friday from 5pm -7.30pm for the Dubs (of which there are a few. Give ye a sleep in)
    2nd Reg on Sat in Coral Leisure, Wicklow Town 2pm - 5pm
    We will take late entries on both these days

Reg in Wicklow Gaol on Sunday 8am - 9.45am sharp (no entries taken on the day)

I'll put up final details when ready - relating to the above and other things.

Thanks

Just had a look at last years results for the half, surprised to see so few under 1:30 (only 15), is the route that tough or was the weather pretty bad last year.

Both.
    Last year was just above 20 degrees. Very hot and unheard of for time of year.
    It was a hillier course last year. It's about 1/3 flatter this year

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Both.
    Last year was just above 20 degrees. Very hot and unheard of for time of year.
    It was a hillier course last year. It's about 1/3 flatter this year

Thanks Eoin, dont think there is any chance we will be getting 20 degrees again this year

Online entry closes tomorrow at 11.59pm (to be percise)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Hi Eoin.
    Looks like I have to do a late entry on Friday! :o
    Have you got a location for Ballyfermot?
    Many thanks.
    Al.

• Advertisement

No Probs
    Link gives you the spot
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=149+Ballyfermot+road&hl=en&hnear=149+Ballyfermot+Rd,+Dublin+10,+County+Dublin&t=m&z=16

We are back to the original idea that instead of having a late fee of €5 - ppl won't get a training top. Entry fee remains as is for both

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is it possible to pick up packs for my friends on Friday? What do I need to bring?

Yep.
    Bring yourself and the directions.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

jaysus how's are the roads in wicklow holding up?

statss wrote: »
    jaysus how's are the roads in wicklow holding up?

Roads around the town are ok presently, I'll hopefully be out for a trot on them later :eek:

I was up and down from Dublin to Wicklow this morning.
    The course seems fine. Normal rainy day stuff
    Weather is to ease off from 6pm (ish) tonight
    Sunday might be a dry day - they say

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Do HM walkers get a race chip on the earlier start?

Am considering heading to Ballyer to enter today but I'm fairly sure I'd be walk/jogging it. Maybe a 2:30ish time.

Hi,

They do

E

Course is grand.... All clear.

• Advertisement

Ran a few of the hillier miles this morning to test my groin, nice and sheltered on the Marlton Road and the back road to Blainroe - looking forward to it even though it might just be a training run.

Advertisement