Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Half Marathon & 10km 24th March

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Ran the 10k this morning. Really enjoyed it even though it was a tough course in bitterly cold conditions. Missed out on a pb by 30 seconds but that was set on a much flatter course, so I'm happy with my time. Big thanks to all the organisers and those who looked after us on the day. Also the brave souls who turned up to support the runners despite the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Ran the HM this morning, one of the coldest races I've run but very well organised. The last 500 m down hill was great and the reception from the crowd as I approached the finish was suberb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

are results up anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Good grief that was cold!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Good grief that was cold!

I'm still defrosting. Fair play to those who turned up in support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 OldieWilson

Tough course and bitterly cold, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
    Well run and marshalled event

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Needed a longer warm up, a swankier medal and more portaloos but that's only small stuff. Nice buzz and beautiful course.

Stewards were great. Water stations were friendly and well placed. And the best tasting banana I've ever had awaited me at the finish line.

Well done to the organisers and the participants.

Ended up making a pair of gloves by poking holes in a spare pair of socks!

Don't understand how the timing board said 2:01 as I crossed the finish line after 2 hours and 15 minutes of a first ever half marathon but I'm sure the results will clear that up later. Pleased as punch I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kciaran

OMG that was cold.

Started with two hats and two pairs of gloves, took them off as I thought I was getting warner.
    Realised I wasn't and promptly put them back on again!

All else good - well done organisers and OHHHHH those poor people handing out water - BRRRRRRR

Yeah the medals were a little plain - maybe even inscript the name/date of the race?

Water and marshalls were excellent, no danger of anyone getting lost.

Was the clock at the end for the 10k? Seemed to be about 15 minutes fast so I'm guessing it was started with the 10k.

That makes sense Shedite thanks. Was around the 2:15 mark and it was at 2:01 when I ran through.

• Advertisement

Very prompt. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Ran the 10k this morning. Garmin watch reports 1C and felt like -5C. Good shelter from the wind once the race started. Miles 2.5 to 5, elevation went from 14 meters to 84 meters. Pleased with my time and PB, though coming from a high base of 48mins. Thought the race was well organised, good atmosphere, and plenty of guards and marshals to direct the traffic and runners. Personally I thought there were plenty of portaloos. Only 3 runners broke the 40-min mark. It's a shame more runners from local clubs weren't out to support this race. Perhaps a discount for AAI members in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Ran the half this morning. Really well organised race with great marshalling. Very good vibe. It was so fecking cold but not much to be done about that. Had no problem with toilets or The rest of the facilities. It's a really smashing course in terms of the views. Its also a smashing course on your legs - serious hills but manageable. It's no pb course but it was as good a mental challenge as I've had.

Medals are pointless. An option on entry for medals might be an idea cos its a waste to be giving these to runners who do a few races a year (and that's all I do). Probably cost more to administrate that than the cost of the medals. Hotel for refreshments is a nice idea but needed to drive to it so I just kept going on home.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Thanks for Feedback photos here http://pixelspromotions.zenfolio.com/p64143885

Thanks Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Also ran this.

Just a few things.
    You need to get stricter with the bagging area. Someone could have easily walked in and lifted any bag he wanted
    The clock situation isn't great. I understand it was for the 10km, but there was loads doing the Half too.
    I think you need to look at doing something for the road criossings, most notably the rathnew to wicklow bit, its a busy road and people are racing and will be more inclined to take chances.....waiting for an accident to happen.

good course though. How is it possible to have head wind for nearly the entire race though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

That was a tough race, but an enjoyable challange that i would do again.

Plenty of water stations and good marshalling. No need for medals, although the kids enjoy getting them :).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Sorry, but i collected my number, t shirt yesterday for the race but i couldnt run in the race, i was injured, i forgot all about the timing chip being in the number. Can anyone tell me where i can return this to? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

I ran the half marathon yesterday. I really enjoyed it despite the cold. The lesson I learned was to wear gloves the next time!!

I found it to be a nice and relaxed race which was well organised. I was at the back of the pack and found it pretty hard to stay motivated to keep going but i did and came in at 2hrs 28mins and even managed a sprint finish - only because I minded my legs and power walked up the hills!! I was 8 mins slower than my previous attempt at the race series half in sept but i hadnt the training done to be fair. Well done to everyone - Id say it wouldve been really nice if the weather played ball as the views along the coast were lovely.
    The parking was handy and i was glad i could keep warm in the car before the start. Also Ive never had a more warming bowl of soup - that was mucho appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Delighted with a PB which I thought was never gonna happen after first 7.8 miles of climbing! Nice relaxed informal race.
    Huge thanks to the marshall's braving that cold with a smile. Rough route I have to say. I thought the finish line was very short. I came charging around the corner chasing the clock and had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting the barriers after the timing mat. Not a big deal but if a few people where neck and neck it could be messy? I'd loose the medals too. A tad cheap. But a well organised and enjoyable race. Thanks Eoin.

• Advertisement

chrissymc wrote: »
    Sorry, but i collected my number, t shirt yesterday for the race but i couldnt run in the race, i was injured, i forgot all about the timing chip being in the number. Can anyone tell me where i can return this to? Thanks
    Were we meant to return the timing chips??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Duzzie--- yeh i thought i saw it on the info email to return the number with the chip, maybe i'm wrong thats why i want Eoin to or someone in charge to let me know Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi,
    Timing chip is disposable.
    Thanks for asking

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Really enjoyed the run I knocked 11 minutes of my last PB. I hit the barrier at the finished I came in a little wild! Bring on Wexford!

Advertisement