Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charities who take toys at Christmas for less advantaged.

• 08-10-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a few toys that my son no longer plays with.

Instead of throwing them out, is there a charity that I candrop these into for Christmas.

They are in good nick (Iam not looking to dump these into someone else’s hands).

I am genuinely looking to pass these on to children that areless advantaged and need cheering up.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

any playstation games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

St. Vincent de Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Oxfam. Or your local charity shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mrs quin (now known as NCBI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Stealing toys off of children equals good times, count me in, let's collect loads for a "charity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Or that place my granny always spoke of but I never went there...the Jumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SANTA STRIKE FORCE.

Boards runs it every year doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Either of the children's hospitals will be glad to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your local women's refuge will be more than happy to take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jack and Jill foundation maybe?

• Advertisement

You will find it very difficult to get a charity to take the toys off your hands to give them directly to other children. The children's hospitals certainly won't take them due to infection control measures.

You might get a women's refuge to take them but they are generally so tight on space that they won't allow it.

Your best bet is to give them to a charity shop who will sell them on. Barnardos or the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Why don't you put them for sale on the likes of done deal and donate the money to the childrens charity of your choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Is it me or are charity shops very expensive nowadays . I seen a guitar you could buy new for two hundred in one the other day selling for 300 .
    Do people pay the extra because its for charity? Or was the shop assisstant just guessing the price and fecked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

up in my local dunnes stores they usually put up a christmas tree with the names of kids and their ages attached so you can buy a pressie for whichever kid, i think its done through st. vincent de paul, nice idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

You will find it very difficult to get a charity to take the toys off your hands to give them directly to other children. The children's hospitals certainly won't take them due to infection control measures.

You might get a women's refuge to take them but they are generally so tight on space that they won't allow it.

Your best bet is to give them to a charity shop who will sell them on. Barnardos or the likes.

Depending on what the toys are the children's hospitals will take them.

They won't take things like teddy bears or any toys that may be dangerous, but they will take toys that can be wiped clean and are clearly in good condition.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Depending on what the toys are the children's hospitals will take them.

They won't take things like teddy bears or any toys that may be dangerous, but they will take toys that can be wiped clean and are clearly in good condition.

Maybe they've changed their policies recently then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jack and Jill foundation maybe?

they forgot to take the pill, they now need to keep their toys.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Barnardos look for toys every year and conduct a gift-giving scheme. You can drop gifts to participating newsagents or you can drop them to their office.

They are new toys they look for though.

Maybe they've changed their policies recently then :)

Might also depend on which hospital. Children's Ark in Limerick have taken them as recently as last week.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Barnardos look for toys every year (Christmastime) and conduct a gift-giving scheme. You can drop gifts to participating newsagents or you can drop them to their office.

You might be surprised where some of those gifts end up :mad:

We have a tree for this in work every year. A few years ago one of the girls who works there passed a comment about how she hoped the presents would be good, as her kids went with her mother to a Barnardos party at Christmas and her kids would be getting some of the presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    You might be surprised where some of those gifts end up :mad:

We have a tree for this in work every year. A few years ago one of the girls who works there passed a comment about how she hoped the presents would be good, as her kids went with her mother to a Barnardos party at Christmas and her kids would be getting some of the presents.

I removed my post actually because I remembered that they only accept new gifts for that scheme. I am horrified but sadly unshocked to hear that about your office though.

Advertisement