Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liquid nitrogen cocktails

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That's Heston Bluementhal fucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How could anyone possibly see that as a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why anyway, why? Bah !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

a frozen poo the morning after i'd imagine...

still better than a guinness one i suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

That's Heston Bluementhal fucked.

he countered with a bat blood and bulls bollox cocktail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've seen them before ,but always assumed it was dry ice? Liquid nitrogen seems a bit ridiculous.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've seen them before ,but always assumed it was dry ice? Liquid nitrogen seems a bit ridiculous.

That's what I thought, when I saw this mentioned in another thread I thought liquid nitrogen cocktail might have been meant in a 'cocktail of dangerous chemicals' type way, not an actual drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Liquid nitrogen they said, be grand they said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's an inert molecule so not toxic. If it's used to flash freeze drinks then it would normally boil off very very quickly. However if any of it remained then it could do enormous damage as the temperature difference between it and you is around 250 degrees Celsius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

How ****ing stupid do you have to be to serve liquid nitrogen cocktails. And more importantly, how ****ing stupid do you have to be to drink it. Methinks that safe-ed classes in schools should be obliged to screen Terminator 2 to their students so something like this doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

They either used too much nitrogen or the person drank it much faster than expected, or both. Unfortunately, for the 18 year old they have paid a hefty price for this.

Wasn't there some cases a few years ago where some idiots ran a contest where they got people to sit on a block of ice(but used nitrogen or something instead) and one of the contestants had to have a chunk of their ass amputated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some cases a few years ago where some idiots ran a contest where they got people to sit on a block of ice(but used nitrogen or something instead) and one of the contestants had to have a chunk of their ass amputated.

God that was a half assed idea.

They either used too much nitrogen or the person drank it much faster than expected, or both. Unfortunately, for the 18 year old they have paid a hefty price for this.

I suspect the something else was dry ice, much colder. Also, it sublimes so no liquid phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Yes the girl done something very stupid but she is only 18 and obviously naive. Not everyone knows what liquid nitrogen is. I feel sorry for her as she obviously trusted the establishment to serve safe drinks.

The bar definitely has a lot to answer for here and I can see a massive law suit coming out of this.

Are there no restrictions on serving industrial grade chemicals in drinks in the UK/Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

RADIUS wrote: »
    Yes the girl done something very stupid but she is only 18 and obviously naive. Not everyone knows what liquid nitrogen is. I feel sorry for her as she obviously trusted the establishment to serve safe drinks.

The bar definitely has a lot to answer for here and I can see a massive law suit coming out of this.

Are there no restrictions on serving industrial grade chemicals in drinks in the UK/Ireland?

No sure every cola has a healthy dose of phosphoric acid in it

I too would blame the bar entirely but what the served is the main component of air, it's just that the temperature was extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

humbert wrote: »
    I too would blame the bar entirely but what the served is the main component of air, it's just that the temperature was extreme.

After reading that, I actually find myself thinking, for the first and perhaps only time, 'Health and Safty' probably should have gone Mad! in this case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Your right of course, I understand that nitrogen is ingested in abundance by us.

This is probably how the bar owners justified serving it. Drinking something that cold must be as bad as eating hot charcoal. After all , we ingest carbon all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Seems drastic to remove her stomach. Wonder what her long term prognosis would be? Looks like that bar will be going out of business pretty soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

LOl!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Yeah, is it not dry ice? Or at least meant to be?

It's an inert molecule so not toxic.

According to the article, it can cause severe internal damage if ingested. As indeed happened to this girl.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. After all, laboratory ethanol is treated chemically so that it doesn't get taxed as heavily as ethanol destined for consumption. The bar seriously dropped the ball here.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

It's an inert molecule so not toxic. If it's used to flash freeze drinks then it would normally boil off very very quickly. However if any of it remained then it could do enormous damage as the temperature difference between it and you is around 250 degrees Celsius.

Liquid Nitrogen is INCREDIBLY toxic! I have no idea where you came up with the non-toxic bit there!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. After all, laboratory ethanol is treated chemically so that it doesn't get taxed as heavily as ethanol destined for consumption. The bar seriously dropped the ball here.

Emm 96 % Ethanol is available from Aldrich. If you hold an alcohol bond (which you pay for each year to the taxman) you don´t have to pay duty. If you don´t hold the bond then you DO have to pay duty.

If you are thinking of absolute alcohol which is 99% then it is stabilised by heavy metals which are toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

How could they afford to buy, store and serve liquid nitrogen? That stuff isnt exactly cheap.
    And how demented do you need to be to think its a perfectly safe drink?

Pyridine wrote: »
    Emm 96 % Ethanol is available from Aldrich.

I know that. :confused: It likely has been treated so not fit for human consumption. If not, then grand. But thanks for letting me know that ethanol is available from a laboratory supplier. :confused:

How could they afford to buy, store and serve liquid nitrogen? That stuff isnt exactly cheap.
    And how demented do you need to be to think its a perfectly safe drink?

Liquid Nitrogen isn´t actually that expensive. Last time I saw it was about 2€ a litre and you can get it from BOC.

As for storage, a 25L dewer would last you about 3-4 days depending on storage and ambient conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Faith+1 wrote: »
    LOl!

Found it. No amputation, but skin grafts were required.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2691229.stm

• Advertisement

Liquid Nitrogen isn´t actually that expensive. Last time I saw it was about 2€ a litre and you can get it from BOC.

As for storage, a 25L dewer would last you about 3-4 days depending on storage and ambient conditions.

oh right. Still, i have a hard time imagining a barman been asked to handle that stuff

I know that. :confused: It likely has been treated so not fit for human consumption. If not, then grand. But thanks for letting me know that ethanol is available from a laboratory supplier. :confused:

You misunderstand.... the 96 % which is available from Aldrich is drinkable. It is NOT treated chemically to prevent anyone from drinking it and you STILL have to pay duty on it when you buy it for your lab!

The 99 % is not. But not because it has been treated to prevent anyone form taking a sip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The people who put that drink on the menu should be put in prison for endangerment...

Probably some twit who thought it would be a great marketing gimmick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

RADIUS wrote:
    It's quite common for beers to be pasteurised, which also removes all of the alcohol. Industrial ethanol is then added to the beer to give it it's alcohol content back.

So it's actually very common for industrial grade chemicals to be served in drinks.

And that's before you start looking at all the preservatives, stabilisers, flavour enhancers etc that go into your average mass-produced beers.

(I don't even want to think about what goes into alcopop****e)

BizzyC wrote: »
    The people who put that drink on the menu should be put in prison for endangerment...

Probably some twit who thought it would be a great marketing gimmick

Exactly. You would think they'd research the stuff before adding it to drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's quite common for beers to be pasteurised, which also removes all of the alcohol. Industrial ethanol is then added to the beer to give it it's alcohol content back.

So it's actually very common for industrial grade chemicals to be served in drinks.

And that's before you start looking at all the preservatives, stabilisers, flavour enhancers etc that go into your average mass-produced beers.

(I don't even want to think about what goes into alcopop****e)

Not to mention antifreeze in Austrian wine. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

See one been served once but never tried one. The whole idea is for cosmetic purposes whilst the drink is being served. It appears the girl drank the cocktail before the Liquid Nitrogen had fully evaporated or whatever the hell it does. Of course this would be similar to many the eejit I've seen drinking a flaming sambuca without blowing out the flame first.

Cocktails are dangerous kids and I think the good old pint of Carlsberg is hard bet when it comes to nights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Seems drastic to remove her stomach. Wonder what her long term prognosis would be? Looks like that bar will be going out of business pretty soon!

Knew a guy that had most of his stomach removed due to cancer. He was fine, but had to constantly eat very small amounts of food throughout the day to get the nutrition into him.

You misunderstand.... the 96 % which is available from Aldrich is drinkable. It is NOT treated chemically to prevent anyone from drinking it and you STILL have to pay duty on it when you buy it for your lab!

Actually, that's not what I've read. I read it in an American college textbook, that in order for it not to be taxed heavily, it is treated. It might have changed and it may never have happened in Europe but I'm not completely pulling this from my arse! Duty would likely have to paid even if it was treated but probably not as high of duty. Anyway, that's all I've to say about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Liquid Nitrogen is INCREDIBLY toxic! I have no idea where you came up with the non-toxic bit there!

LN2 is the liquid form of a gas you are currently breathing, air is 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide...roughly.

So Liquid Nitrogen is INCREDIBLY COLD! Not INCREDIBLY toxic! However breathing 100% Nitrogen will make you go bye-bye in a euphoric state.

The 99 % is not. But not because it has been treated to prevent anyone form taking a sip.

Most people are smart enough to know not to drink such stuff. Going into a bar and ordering a drink should not be like playing a game of russian roulette with your life

• Advertisement

According to the article, it can cause severe internal damage if ingested. As indeed happened to this girl.

It's possible you know something about a change in it's chemical properties as a liquid that I don't but I'll need you to back that up?

It's possible you know something about a change in it's chemical properties as a liquid that I don't but I'll need you to back that up?

I never it was toxic, I said it caused damage. And it did. The article backs it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

djk1000 wrote: »
    Knew a guy that had most of his stomach removed due to cancer. He was fine, but had to constantly eat very small amounts of food throughout the day to get the nutrition into him.

Thanks for that. Sounds life altering alright. And at only 18 years old. That's tough.

I never it was toxic, I said it caused damage. And it did. The article backs it up.
    I don't really know why you quoted what I said then but fair enough.

I don't really know why you quoted what I said then but fair enough.

Well, it might not be toxic but certain forms of it can cause a lot of damage. So I didn't really see the point in saying that nitrogen in non-toxic. Toxicity isn't the only thing that classifies something as hazardous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Whats next Joe ??? Liquid He cocktails, that what Joe.

They think they're so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Feel sorry for the girl. Personally myself, if I heard the words 'Liquid Nitrogen and cocktail or food/beer' the alarm bells would be going off in my head that it is not something your body would want to be dealing with. I would not even know it would mess your stomach up big time but you would just get the vibe that it is not good.

So they took the girls stomach out ? How will see digest food etc.. Someone fooked up big time on this one.

Well, it might not be toxic but certain forms of it can cause a lot of damage. So I didn't really see the point in saying that nitrogen in non-toxic. Toxicity isn't the only thing that classifies something as hazardous.
    I feel I covered that adequately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I'm surprised her stomach didn't explode! Liquid nitrogen in the stomach, expanding to 37c. Nitrogen gas will expand to approx. 700 times it's liquid volume.

Liquid Nitrogen cocktails... seriously.

I'm surprised her stomach didn't explode! Liquid nitrogen in the stomach, expanding to 37c. Nitrogen gas will expand to approx. 700 times it's liquid volume.

Liquid Nitrogen cocktails... seriously.
    The same thought occurred to me. I'm also surprised (and glad) her oesophagus survived. Perhaps it wasn't direct contact with liquid nitrogen but a flash frozen drink might be very cold and potentially have sharp edges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement