Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liquid nitrogen cocktails

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

this stuff removes warts&verucas, no fcuking way would I put it near my insides!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wow, this is sickeningly depressing. Just turned 18 and her life could be f*cked completely, how exactly does one live with no stomach? :(

Hope things work out ok for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Only just seen this. The girl in the article is a good friend of my flatemate. I don't think there should be any blame put upon her. If something's served in a reputable place, why would you expect it to be unsafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is this more ***** like the craze of pouring vodka into your eyeballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

How was the club allowed sell these?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

MadsL wrote: »
    LN2 is the liquid form of a gas you are currently breathing, air is 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide...roughly.

So Liquid Nitrogen is INCREDIBLY COLD! Not INCREDIBLY toxic! However breathing 100% Nitrogen will make you go bye-bye in a euphoric state.
    From what i understand there will be no euphoria because its part of our normal air,no taste ,no smell,wont even know its there just drop.body wont give all the normal reactions to suffocating on a foreign gas like
    sweating,light headedness,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How do they manage to serve it?
    It needs to be below -190c (or something like that) to remain liquid. So if it were mixed into a drink at room temperature surely the drink would freeze or it would evaporate off quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Wow, this is sickeningly depressing. Just turned 18 and her life could be f*cked completely, how exactly does one live with no stomach? :(

Hope things work out ok for her

Huge numbers of cancer patients go on to live fairly normal lives after having their stomachs removed. Obviously it would be better if it haddnt happened but hopefully she will still be able to manage a fairly regular life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Pyridine wrote: »
    Liquid Nitrogen is INCREDIBLY toxic! I have no idea where you came up with the non-toxic bit there!

You're wrong. In the strict sense, liquid nitrogen is not toxic. It is just nitrogen in a different state - and we all know nitrogen is non-toxic. Yes, liquid nitrogen is dangerous because it can cause tissue damage, but you are confusing the terms "toxic" and "dangerous".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Plazaman wrote: »
    See one been served once but never tried one. The whole idea is for cosmetic purposes whilst the drink is being served. It appears the girl drank the cocktail before the Liquid Nitrogen had fully evaporated or whatever the hell it does. Of course this would be similar to many the eejit I've seen drinking a flaming sambuca without blowing out the flame first.

Cocktails are dangerous kids and I think the good old pint of Carlsberg is hard bet when it comes to nights out.

I despise those show-off cúnts. 'Oh look at me, I'm mad, I'm setting a shot on fire before I drink it, I'm bleedin' deadly!'. Cúnts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Cocktails destroying stomachs, bootleg spirits killing people in Czech.

I think I will stick to the auld beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

RADIUS wrote: »
    Cocktails destroying stomachs, bootleg spirits killing people in Czech.

I think I will stick to the auld beer.

Might be safer in the long run. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

From what i understand there will be no euphoria because its part of our normal air,no taste ,no smell,wont even know its there just drop.body wont give all the normal reactions to suffocating on a foreign gas like
    sweating,light headedness,

It's certainly true that inhaling nitrogen will have no euphoric effects. Death by ingestion of 100% nitrogen won't kill you in the same way as suffocating on a foreign gas exactly. Every breath we inhale contains approx 3.5 times more nitrogen than oxygen. Inhaling 100% nitrogen would kill you due to lack of oxygen.

It was at one point being tentatively considered to use 100% nitrogen instead of hydrogen cyanide in gas chambers for execution. Here is a link to a study by Micheal Portillo who determined that the most humane way to execute someone would be oxygen deprivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

http://stores.biochem.uiowa.edu/Pages/ln2msds.htm

MSDS for liquid nitrogen if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Why would anybody do such a stupid thing? , Alcohols bad enough for you, but to put liquid nitrogen into it?! , is ice not good enough anymore?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeah, is it not dry ice? Or at least meant to be?

Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide...a whole different ballgame.

• Administrators Posts: 54,189 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Liquid nitrogen can be used to chill / frost glasses for certain cocktails. They swirl the liquid nitrogen in the bottom of the glass so that the bit of the glass that touches your lip won't cool and your lip won't stick to it but the bit that touched the LN goes frosted and cold.

You can make cocktails with LN but they'd be pretty pointless - they'd freeze to the extent you'd almost have to eat the thing rather than drink it.

I wonder in this case was the LN actually meant to be drank - as in did the bar add it to the glass with the intention that it's consumed as part of the cocktail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

anniehoo wrote: »
    Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide...a whole different ballgame.

I know that. I mean, is that maybe what they meant to use? Reading further, I guess not! :-/

awec wrote: »
    Liquid nitrogen can be used to chill / frost glasses for certain cocktails. They swirl the liquid nitrogen in the bottom of the glass so that the bit of the glass that touches your lip won't cool and your lip won't stick to it but the bit that touched the LN goes frosted and cold.

You can make cocktails with LN but they'd be pretty pointless - they'd freeze to the extent you'd almost have to eat the thing rather than drink it.

I wonder in this case was the LN actually meant to be drank - as in did the bar add it to the glass with the intention that it's consumed as part of the cocktail.

Yeah, I mean, rapidly cooling things with LN is grand. You can use LN to make wonderfully smooth ice crystal-free ice cream. I think the trick is to let what you've cooled "warm up" to higher-than-frostbite temperatures. :)

• Advertisement

Alcohols bad enough for you, but to put liquid nitrogen into it?! , is ice not good enough anymore?:pac:

It's not cool enough anymore. ;):pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How could anyone possibly see that as a good idea?
    Short version when handled correctly liquid nitrogen is as safe as molten lead.

This happened in the UK where health and safety laws are enforced.

There is a phenomenon known as film boiling

If you spill a drop of liquid nitrogen into your hand - I've done this - the drop won't touch your hand because it will float on a film of boiling nitrogen - same as a drop of water on a red hot cooker - the film of gas insulates you from the extreme cold.

You can plunge a wet hand into molten lead and again a layer of gas will insulate you - mythbusters did this - the trick is that the lead has to be at a specific temperature too low and you don't get enough gas to insulate from the liquid metal, too hot and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that.

Did her stomach freeze or was it gas pressure ?
    Liquid nitrogen expands 700 times. But alcohol and water should have frozen by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The report said she perforated her stomache, so I'm assuming it was the gas expansion.

Had it been the cold surely more than just her stomache would have been harmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

So are they planning to put in a new stomach??? Repair her torn stomach????? Whats she using to digest food at the moment :eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

See kids, this is what happens when you let people who studied morkeshing do science!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So are they planning to put in a new stomach??? Repair her torn stomach????? Whats she using to digest food at the moment :eek::confused:
    Apparently you can continue to function, they just connect the two dangling ends together and food moves through you much faster than it otherwise would.
    You have to eat much smaller amounts more regularly though, and I'm sure certain foods are out. Energy drinks are probably very much in though.

She also won't ever have problems with being overweight, though maintaining a healthy weight might be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wot, battery acid and Lynx not good enough for people now?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

seamus wrote: »
    Apparently you can continue to function, they just connect the two dangling ends together and food moves through you much faster than it otherwise would.
    You have to eat much smaller amounts more regularly though, and I'm sure certain foods are out. Energy drinks are probably very much in though.

She also won't ever have problems with being overweight, though maintaining a healthy weight might be a problem.

Phew :cool: thank god. I had images of her "doing the centipede" for the rest of her life. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

bbam wrote: »
    How do they manage to serve it?
    It needs to be below -190c (or something like that) to remain liquid. So if it were mixed into a drink at room temperature surely the drink would freeze or it would evaporate off quickly.

Is only a mixer for cosmetic purposes to give a nice smouldering look to a cocktail. Obviously the barperson either put to much in or she downed the drink immediately or a combination of the two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is only a mixer for cosmetic purposes to give a nice smouldering look to a cocktail. Obviously the barperson either put to much in or she downed the drink immediately or a combination of the two.
    It's a place filled with drinkers many of who are drunk

Totally unreasonable to assume that none is going to drink it immediately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

This might sound a bit weird, but what you are saying sounds about right. But would I be right in saying if this is the case could a family member donate some of there stomach too her? Actually wait wrong part was thinking of the small intestine. Would there be a transplant available or making the small intestine longer help with hunger?

Picture of what is done for anyone interested here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 unemployedM0d

You greatly underestimate the relative difficulties of living life without a stomach. Unless you have references to back up what you are saying, maybe it's best not to comment. Hopefully the teachnology used to build an artificial stomach in Australia recently will make it's way to humans soon. They already have artificial hearts for implantation. http://www.pharm.monash.edu.au/news/2010/artificial-stomach.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Well, it might not be toxic but...
    Citing Material Safety Data Sheet:
    "No specific information is available in our database regarding the other toxic effects of this material to humans. (...)
    Ingestion is not a normal route of exposure for gases. Contact with cryogenic liquid can cause frostbite and cryogenic burns. (...)
    No known significant effects or critical hazards. (...)
    May cause rapid suffocation"

http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/001040.pdf

All of the above means liquid nitrogen is not toxic nor hazardous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This is genuinely f*cking nightmarish, to be honest. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a cocktail you're served is fit for consumption without costing you your stomach.

18, Jesus. She's just a child.

beazee wrote: »
    "No specific information is available in our database regarding the other toxic effects of this material to humans. (...)
    Ingestion is not a normal route of exposure for gases. Contact with cryogenic liquid can cause frostbite and cryogenic burns. (...)

It's not toxic, at cold temperatures it evidently can be hazardous, unless you don't think a perforated stomach is a problem? :confused: The key thing there is that they say it shouldn't be ingested, and they'd be right. But clearly this bar didn't read the MSDS. And when ingested, it clearly can be hazardous. The people who compiled the MSDS are assuming that nobody is dumb enough to serve cold cold cold liquid nitrogen.

Also, may cause suffocation, but isn't a hazard. WTF? Who wrote this thing?

Has anything else come out about the bar?

At this stage I'm mainly interested in knowing wtf they were thinking and how the people responsible will be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For people asking how someone could live with out a stomach
    Here is an interesting but very sad story of a guy who had his oesophagus, stomach, colon and large intestine removed :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You greatly underestimate the relative difficulties of living life without a stomach.
    Oh absolutely, I'm sure it's a tough existence. I wasn't going to go through the ins and outs of it though, just respond to the question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

BizzyC wrote: »
    Has anything else come out about the bar?

At this stage I'm mainly interested in knowing wtf they were thinking and how the people responsible will be dealt with.
    Not yet I don't think. But at a guess, it's very likely the girl will sue them and win millions. The bar's insurance company, who will have to pay out to the girl, will quite possibly then sue the bar for exposing them to that.

It's also very likely that the owners will face criminal charges for some combination of criminal negligence, health and safety, and food safety violations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

SuprSi wrote: »

The Fukking idiot.
    Have pity on this person? No way. It's just as bad as some fool swimming in shark infested water and has his legs chewed off. "oh poor me, i thought it'd be a good idea to get in and swim with sharks, they're nice animals really. But one of them didn't really like me, so he bit my legs off. Anyway, the authorities are going to shoot it now, because im a Fukking fool who couldn't just go for a swim in a pool and leave the sharks to swim around in their own territory"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

MJ23 wrote: »
    The Fukking idiot.
    Have pity on this person? No way. It's just as bad as some fool swimming in shark infested water and has his legs chewed off. "oh poor me, i thought it'd be a good idea to get in and swim with sharks, they're nice animals really. But one of them didn't really like me, so he bit my legs off. Anyway, the authorities are going to shoot it now, because im a Fukking fool who couldn't just go for a swim in a pool and leave the sharks to swim around in their own territory"
    ...what? Did you actually read the article you quoted? In what way does your shark analogy have any relevance whatsoever?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's also very likely that the owners will face criminal charges for some combination of criminal negligence, health and safety, and food safety violations.

This is the part I want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Pyridine wrote: »
    I know that. :confused: It likely has been treated so not fit for human consumption. If not, then grand. But thanks for letting me know that ethanol is available from a laboratory supplier. :confused:

You misunderstand.... the 96 % which is available from Aldrich is drinkable. It is NOT treated chemically to prevent anyone from drinking it and you STILL have to pay duty on it when you buy it for your lab!

The 99 % is not. But not because it has been treated to prevent anyone form taking a sip.

That's just plain wrong. You can get 99.9999% pure ethanol from suppliers. There's no such thing as sigma and the rest of then putting a poison part into the alcohol to deter people drinking it. And yes, there are customs exemption forms you sign when ordering the stuff, so you pay zero duty on it. The reason you shouldn't drink the lab stuff is because it is produced by ethylene hydration, so there's potentially loads of petrochemical gunk in it (and also it started off life in coal / oil) ,compared to the food stuff, which is produced by fermenting sugars with yeast.

Funnily enough I was working in a lab where we flew through the stuff, and the boss did get a call from the guards to make sure he wasn't selling the stuff to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Fukking idiot.

You are a cruel bastard. The girl in that article sounds really brave, if I was in her position I probably would have just taken my chances and probably ended up with the cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

28064212 wrote: »
    The Fukking idiot.
    ...what? Did you actually read the article you quoted? In what way does your shark analogy have any relevance whatsoever?

I reckon he didn't read the article and thought it was about the girl that drank the liquid nitrogen. Even at that it's still a harsh opinion of what happened. At 18 after a few drinks you'd assume what a bar serves is safe for consumption. The worst you'd be thinking of is maybe a really bad headache if you had no knowledge regarding the safety of consuming such a chemical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

That's one of the strangest MSDS I've ever seen and I've used a lot of liq nitrogen.

As already mentioned in the thread liquid nitrogen expands 700 times when it evapourates i.e. 1 Litre of liquid will produce 700 Litres of gas. In a confined space this is extremely dangerous and hazardous as it rapidly decreases the levels of oxygen in the air and suffocation can easily occur and very rapidly.

Since it boils at -196C its also pretty cold in its liquid form which sounds like prety hazardous to me.

Liquid nitrogen is non toxic.

It is very hazardous.

A single drop on your hand is safe see my previous post about film boiling or look youtube. Prolonged contact is not good, ingestion is not good.

Don't ever get into a lift with a container of liquid nitrogen
    if it spills you die
    if the lift gets stuck you die.

Nitrogen is inert , most of what you breath is nitrogen gas
    The hottest temperature liquid nitrogen can exist is -147 C and that's under a lot of pressure. Above that it's a supercritical fluid.

Just like Nitrogen, lead free solder is supposedly non toxic at room temperature. But at 200 degrees away from room temperature it like Nitrogen is most definitely hazardous.

The reason you shouldn't drink the lab stuff is because it is produced by ethylene hydration, so there's potentially loads of petrochemical gunk in it (and also it started off life in coal / oil) ,compared to the food stuff, which is produced by fermenting sugars with yeast.

I guess this might have been what I read in that textbook years back. :)

Don't ever get into a lift with a container of liquid nitrogen
    if it spills you die
    if the lift gets stuck you die.

People do this in my workplace. :eek: Why they don't just send the container up in the lift and have someone meet it up there, I don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement