Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs in pasta carbonara

Options
  • 08-10-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm gonna cookl pasta carbonara for the first time tonight, and although it looks a relatively simple recipe, I have a question about the eggs used in it. The recipes I'm using makes no distinction between yolks and whites (mix eggs with cream etc), but a friend cooked it recently and went to some lengths seperating the two. Is this the correct way? I'd rather not have to seperate them if I didn't have to!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd use egg yolks for carbonara.
    Although I've come across some recipes that calls for 3 yolks + 1 whole egg.
    Uncooked white eggs aren't appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yes, you really have to seperate the eggs first. I mix my parmesean with the yolks before I add it to the pasta, which makes it less likely to scramble.
    If you're having a problem seperating the yolks, you can buy cheapo plastic gadgets to do it for you. Or use a slotted spoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I usually use 2 egg yolks and one whole egg. It's a matter of preference as to how unctuous you want it.

Anyway, separating eggs couldn't be easier, just crack the egg in half over a bowl or a cup and tip the white out. Pass the yolk from half-shell to half shell a few times to get all the white out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen recipes that use just yolks, some yolks and some whole eggs, and just whole eggs. Reading about the supposed humble origins of the dish, I can't help thinking that a bunch of forest dwelling charcoal burners wouldn't go to the trouble of separating eggs somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

More importantly, you don't want any cream in your carbonara (unless you like cream in which case fire away, but 'carbonara' shouldn't have cream in it).

A tip I read somewhere was to add a bit of the pasta's cooking water to help create the sauce.

F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Never heard of using the white myself, as someone else said it may not cook properly in the time it will be there, its only the heat of the pasta that will warm the yolks, cream is not traditional but is often added for Irish tastes, nothing wrong with it, some would have you believe its sacrilege.
    Seperating eggs couldn't be easier, if you crack an egg and pour it into your hand the white will fall through into a bowl or whatever and you'll be left with the yolk.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    More importantly, you don't want any cream in your carbonara (unless you like cream in which case fire away, but 'carbonara' shouldn't have cream in it).

A tip I read somewhere was to add a bit of the pasta's cooking water to help create the sauce.

F.

Who mentioned cream?

Adding a bit of the cooking water can rescue a somewhat "claggy" carbonara, alright, but it shouldn't really be necessary. Also, carbonara isn't supposed to be particularly saucy anyway, you just want enough to coat the pasta.

Irish people seem to be obsessed with pasta swimming in sauce. I know my dad is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the replies. I can seperate the eggs from the yolks alright, just couldn't be bothered if I didn't have to. So, the consensus seems to be to go with the yolks rather than the whole egg. That's what I thought myself, but some recipes I've been looking at don't make the distinction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been making carbonara from Bazmo's cooking club recipe for the last few years, and it makes no mention of separating the eggs, so I've never done it. That recipe does use cream though, so maybe if I wasn't adding cream, I might just use the egg yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Authentic carbonara doesn't use any cream at all. This is what I do......while the spaghetti is boiling I get 4 egg yokes in a bowl, add salt and pepper. Grate into the bowl some Parmesan. mix everything well. Then I add some pre fried pancetta. When the spaghetti is done I drain it of its water but I leave a little bit. In the spaghetti pot I quickly stir in the egg mixture and the heat of the spaghetti is enough to cook the egg and it turns into a lovely creamy dish. Yum yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the advice everyone. I used Bazmo's recipe mentioned above and it was quite yummy. Only thing is, I didn't cook enough so it was gone in about 30 seconds!:( Will try it without cream next time.

Faith wrote: »
    I've been making carbonara from Bazmo's cooking club recipe for the last few years.

I can't even read that thread anymore. The rage cream in carbonara gives me is legendary in my family.

Sorry Bazmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I use all three -- egg yolks, double cream and the cooking pasta water. Oh the blasphemy :rolleyes: I have the cardiologist on speed dial

Advertisement