Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix or replace?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

We have a non-working alarm (Airtech CS350), which hasn't worked properly in years. it kept throwing up faults for different zones, we would get it fixed and after a few weeks the problems would start again. So we stopped using it a number of years ago.

We now want to get the house alarmed again and don't know whether to try to get the alarm fixed again or to go for a new wireless system.

We have converted our garage since and have 2 extra doors and a window to alarm so would need to add to the system. Some wiring would also need to be repaired as I removed some when I was doing up the kitchen, in anticipation of replacing the system.

I have a budget of €500 and would be happy to do a DIY install if it were easy enough. I did see a system in B&Q called 'Response' which looked good, but I think from investigating here that people would not recommend these systems?

So is there a suitable wireless system I could get for that budget? I have about 12 doors/windows and maybe need 1/2 PIR. Self monitoring would be nice but not essential.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need to address what's the faults first?
    It could be some faulty sensors that have not been found.
    Some lads just don't understand how to check resistence correctly.
    Was this originally a prewired house?
    If so the wiring is probably ok and this would be preferable to wireless.
    If you are upgrading look at the Siemens or the HKC 1070
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676093
    These will give you the benefit of both wired and wireless.
    Keep away from the DIY kits like the one you mentioned. They are not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Thanks for the reply.

House wasn't prewired. Previous owner got it done about 15 years ago or so, just before we moved in, so no idea of how well it was done initially or by who...

I'll check out the systems you linked to, thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does the system set ok?
    I would set it as much as you can to see what's showing up.
    If it's the same zone activating its more likely to be just some faulty sensors.

No, the keypad is totally dead now and has been for the last year or two. i assume this is because I didn't replace the backup battery maybe?

Try disconnecting the battery.
    Again, this can still be simple things possibly a fuse and a battery.
    You could get those sorted & a panel upgrade & still be under your budget.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll have a look at that and see where I get. Probably be next weekend by the time I can get around to it, but I'll check it out and let you know.

When you mention a panel upgrade, do you mean the 'box' (control panel) which is located in the hot press or the keypad downstairs?

Thanks for the advice.

curiousb wrote: »

When you mention a panel upgrade, do you mean the 'box' (control panel) which is located in the hot press or the keypad downstairs?

Both come together in the systems I linked to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

curiousb wrote: »
    Ok, I'll have a look at that and see where I get. Probably be next weekend by the time I can get around to it, but I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry to be throwing a spanner in the works, but the 'hot press' is an issue. There was advice given to proffesional installers approx 3 years ago, not to install control panels in hot press's........some electrical regulation if memory serves.

Therefore i would expect a professional to abide by this, therefore moving the panel may also have to be considered.

Don't get me started....
    There's a thread about this somewhere ,go dig it out.

I asked ETCI about this & was told :

Our Committee TC2 discussed the matter and decided as follows:

1. It is confirmed that alarm systems are outside the scope of the National Rules ET 101.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Don't get me started....
    There's a thread about this somewhere ,go dig it out.

I asked ETCI about this & was told :

Our Committee TC2 discussed the matter and decided as follows:

1. It is confirmed that alarm systems are outside the scope of the National Rules ET 101.

Mmmmmmm, my last EQA inspector mentioned before we visited the domestic system that if the panel was in the hot press it would be deemed a failure.
    In fairness this guy is one of the soundest inspectors I have ever had.

• Advertisement

The thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66219770
    Quite heated in parts, but interesting none the less.
    Ill PM you on this as I don't want to drag this OT on the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Noooooo!!.......not the hot press argument again.

Sorry lads, my fault for dragging up an old monster.

Advertisement