Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please!

Options
  • 08-10-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey...

Just looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before & knows a way out.

Basically started a job in WA 7 months ago & was offered 457 sponsorship after 4 months and took it.

The thing is, I now despise the job. It's 10 hour days & it kills me to keep doing it. Totally demotivated and depressed in it.

Feel a bit trapped as I don't want to stay in the field I am sponsored in & if I quit the soul destroying job, I have 28 days to get a new job or I have to leave Australia which I don't want.

Sensible route = stay in job until I find another but quite hard to find another whilst working 10 hour days.

I know I am very lucky to have 457 and a job but still feeling a bit trapped.

Any helpful ideas/experiences from people would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Recruitment by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

It would be very easy to say you sound very ungrateful & thousands would swop places with you.

But being in a job you hate must suck.

No-one can tell you what to do, you have 3 options:

Suck it up until you find another employer who'll take on your sponsorship

or

quit & hope to find something else within a month

or

go home.

Only you know which one appeals to you more.

That was a great help to you, wasn't it? :pac:
    But what I'm trying to tell you is that there is no easy option here & you have to base your decision on your own feelings, not what other people think you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Belcampprisoner, I reckon you should get a post of the day award.

That should help you OP. And I'm also going to forward it on to a friend who I know is in the exact same position as you.

He loves his job but just does too much of it as the company expects him to work 10+ hours a day, sometimes 6/7 days a week.

Not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe I missed something but how dies that link help the OP?

He doesn't line his job, but he didn't say he was exploited.
    10 hours days is pretty standard in a lot if jobs and as long as employer is payi g you and asking everyone not just 457 workers then its perfectly fine.
    As I said, maybe I missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

What is wrong with 10hr days:confused:, Did your employer sponsor you on the basis of working 8hr days and has now upped it to 10hr days and not paying you for the extra 2 hrs work?.
    How many days a week are you working?
    Is the area you are working in now the area you allways worked in prior to coming to Australia?
    Sounds a bit to me like that you didn't fully research your job or your contract fully before accepting the offer, just as a matter of interest how many hours a day were you working prior to sponsorship?

Anyhow, You say you got the job 7 mths ago, but you never said when you arrived in the country. Has your WHV run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Mellor wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something but how dies that link help the OP?

He doesn't line his job, but he didn't say he was exploited.
    10 hours days is pretty standard in a lot if jobs and as long as employer is payi g you and asking everyone not just 457 workers then its perfectly fine.
    As I said, maybe I missed something.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/conditions-of-employment/pages/hours-of-work.aspx

I hardly think 12 hours additional work per week is considered reasonable.

That's 25% more than what is legally recommended.

Batgurl wrote: »

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/conditions-of-employment/pages/hours-of-work.aspx

I hardly think 12 hours additional work per week is considered reasonable.

That's 25% more than what is legally recommended.
    If the employer was asking him to do extra then if course it's unreasonable. I already asked was that the case.
    But how do you know it's not the standard day in his industry? Which is one if the definitions of reasonable hours. Lots of jobs have longer hours. Not everyone works to a 38 hour week. These jobs are usually on hourly rates, so they are paid for their time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If 10 hour days were standard in the job before the 457, then I don't see how the company is in breach of the visa. Sorry if i sound really negative here. I just don't want anybody to get the wrong idea and go marching into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aus457

Esse85 wrote: »
    Recruitment by any chance?
    Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aus457

sponge_bob wrote: »
    What is wrong with 10hr days:confused:, Did your employer sponsor you on the basis of working 8hr days and has now upped it to 10hr days and not paying you for the extra 2 hrs work?.
    How many days a week are you working?
    Is the area you are working in now the area you allways worked in prior to coming to Australia?
    Sounds a bit to me like that you didn't fully research your job or your contract fully before accepting the offer, just as a matter of interest how many hours a day were you working prior to sponsorship?

Anyhow, You say you got the job 7 mths ago, but you never said when you arrived in the country. Has your WHV run out?

Thanks for reply.

There is no grievance with my employer. Simply do not like the job one bit!

I went from WHV to a 457.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Whatever about the job itself being not what you want but complaining about 10 hour days will not get you very far in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Aus457 wrote: »
    Hey...

Just looking to see if anyone has been in this situation before & knows a way out.

Basically started a job in WA 7 months ago & was offered 457 sponsorship after 4 months and took it.

The thing is, I now despise the job. It's 10 hour days & it kills me to keep doing it. Totally demotivated and depressed in it.

Feel a bit trapped as I don't want to stay in the field I am sponsored in & if I quit the soul destroying job, I have 28 days to get a new job or I have to leave Australia which I don't want.

Sensible route = stay in job until I find another but quite hard to find another whilst working 10 hour days.

I know I am very lucky to have 457 and a job but still feeling a bit trapped.

Any helpful ideas/experiences from people would be much appreciated.

My advice is to actively look for a new company to take over your sponsorship. If they are already a recognized sponsor it is a very quick and easy process.

I was in the same situation and still am to a lessor extent and things have improved in my job since someone I worked with went to a new job. I know what hell it can be working a job you don't like everyday. I also know the guilt you fell when you hear about people back home who have no job and the fear that it will cost you your life here if you leave the job you have.

Unfortunately I found it difficult to find a company willing to take over my sponsorship particularly as I didn't want to just go anywhere given my reason for leaving in the first place and so was fussy about where I wanted to work.

I now am waiting for my permanent residency to come in and when it dose I will be able to do what ever I want.

If you cant find a company to take on your sponsorship consider getting your PR.

What changed after 4 months in the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

You need to find another employer or company and make sure they will sponsor you before you leave your current job. It can ,and is, done all the time.

Also, make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for. Sponsorship is 4 years. As far as I know you need to be in the same sponsored job for at least 2 years before you can apply for permanent residency.

At the end of the day, would you rather be at home in Ireland either on the dole or in a job you hate, or in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

As far as I know you need to be in the same sponsored job for at least 2 years before you can apply for permanent residency.

If you meet the criteria you can apply for PR at anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

I stand corrected so. Could you post a link to where it mentions this? I can't seem to find it on the immigration website.

I stand corrected so. Could you post a link to where it mentions this? I can't seem to find it on the immigration website.
    A PR visa is a separate visa to a 457. You don't need to have a 457 to apply for PR. Lots of people apply directly for PR from Ireland.

What you are thinking of us when applying for employer nominated residency, you can waive the skills assessment if you have 2 years done on a 457 in that role. But it's not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

There's also a country very close by with jobs, nice beer and great lifestyle albeit with a bit less money where you could get another WHV and consider your options with Australia. New Zealand! Jump over here for a while and perhaps reskill or gain experience in another role....If you ended up in that industry I'm guessing you're not particularly skilled or qualified in any certain trade, perhaps consider going to Uni or night classes somewhere to pick up a new trade/skills or consider going back to Ireland to study?

I do feel for you being stuck in recruitment. I did it for a short while and its got to be one of the more soul destroying "jobs" out there. They seem to especially prey on immigrants to come work for them with the promise of big commission and quick promotions. Doesn't work out that good sadly, especially in the current job market. Cold calling for jobs, trawling for CVs, targets, KPIs ewwwwww. People don't realise how much pressure from above and abuse from candidates you can get in those roles, it can really suck. Thankfully I escaped after a few months. I know some people still at it and some that made good coin but long term its only for certain types of people.

So its always an option to go somewhere else for a bit, upskill and you'll get back to Ozzie eventually.

Good luck

Great post pClancy

What type of jobs are there in NZ that the OP or anyone else could consider?

I know what the OP is going through too, I suggested Recruitment straight away having read the first post as I tried my hand at it for a few months through the promise of sponsorship and simply hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'm sure there's office, trade or retail jobs out there and certainly pleny of rural work :)

www.seek.co.nz

Advertisement