Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday 11th - Wet and Windy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Proper rain has arrived here now. 1.2mm so far with a rain rate of 9.4mm/hr atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Absolutely rotten weather here (Collooney) this morning, shallow flooding in some places on the roads already. Cold and miserable... yuck!

*Drat should have checked my station before leaving the house this morning. Think a battery change might be required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Atlone is getting hammered by the looks of the radar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Iancar29 wrote: »

Landslide on the M6 near Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

AA Traffic Update
    Reports of a mudslide and excess surface water on the M6/Athlone Bypass between J12 Roscommon and J13 Athlone West

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=130977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

We need Cherryghost for eyes on the ground !

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

t|nt|n wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1011/clonakilty-flooding.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

t|nt|n wrote: »

Moved to Dublin dude :(

Rickylovesuall is your man now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Moved to Dublin dude :(

Rickylovesuall is your man now :D

I just can't keep up :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Frankly Wexford looks like getting away Scot free from this one ( and Donegal more or less) and it may only be a fringe event in Dublin. Cork/Kerry up to the Midlands is the main soak pit. :)

Mount Dillon and Moorpark are notably missing as I post.

Johnstown Castle 3.8mm.

Cork Airport recorded 24.4mm ( and 6mm the previous night as the system came into Cork and the S/W before midnight)
    Gurteen 26.9mm
    Mullingar 25.6mm
    Ballyhaise 24.4mm

In contrast

Dublin Airport 9.3mm
    Mace Head 9.5mm
    Johnstown Castle 3.8mm
    Sherkin 0.9mm

So the worst rain fell inland in a band from Cork to Cavan and would include Moorpark and Mount Dillon. The system sort of tore across the west coast ( Sherkin 0.9mm) and slowed down as it crossed the Midlands and moved NE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

A slow moving band of fairly heavy and persistent rain is pushing into west Munster.
    224201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any electrical activity in that front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Just started raining in West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Storm 10 wrote: »

That would be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Just gone very very dark here in Cork now..So dark it's like late evening.

Very heavy shower as I type..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Just gone very very dark here in Cork now..So dark it's like late evening.

Very heavy shower as I type..

Absolutely miserable MrFrisp! But I love it :pac:

leahyl wrote: »
    Absolutely miserable MrFrisp! But I love it :pac:

Same here,leahyl

Love the rain,wind,storms,etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There's me thinking it was Friday.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Good shower, heavy, thundery but I heard nothing.

1.5mm in just a few minutes / little more than 7mm/hr though so not a tropical monsoon.

gbee wrote: »
    Good shower, heavy, thundery but I heard nothing.

1.5mm in just a few minutes / little more than 7mm/hr though so not a tropical monsoon.

Yes.Sadly the only noise was the heavy rain..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Storm 10 wrote: »
    yes, Storm

east cork, west waterford
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mount Dillon and Moorpark are notably missing as I post.

Johnstown Castle 3.8mm.

Cork Airport recorded 24.4mm ( and 6mm the previous night as the system came into Cork and the S/W before midnight)
    Gurteen 26.9mm
    Mullingar 25.6mm
    Ballyhaise 24.4mm

In contrast

Dublin Airport 9.3mm
    Mace Head 9.5mm
    Johnstown Castle 3.8mm
    Sherkin 0.9mm

So the worst rain fell inland in a band from Cork to Cavan and would include Moorpark and Mount Dillon. The system sort of tore across the west coast ( Sherkin 0.9mm) and slowed down as it crossed the Midlands and moved NE.

Sponge Bob, IanCar, or anybody else with an idea, let me know what you think of this. During a disastrously wet summer for farming I have been watching the radar on a daily basis trying to get work done between the downpours.

I have observed a tendency for organised bands of thunderstorms to follow the general path of the river Shannon from south to north in a consistent manner. This path (maybe 30-40km wide) from Limerick/West Tipp north to Sligo/Leitrim/West Cavan seems to be followed, even if winds (and often clouds) are actually being driven by south-westerly or south-easterly winds.

It seems to occur mainly as I say with trains of thunderstorms, but the development/direction of the wave (was it a wave?) in Thursday morning's front appeared to do the same thing (at least with respect to the intensity of the rain)....i.e. as the front passed from west to east it seemed to stall around the Shannon basin, intensify and the heaviest of the rain took this general path northwards along the Shannon. As a result we ended up with about 5 hours of torrential rain (over 40mm) while places 40km east or west recieved relatively very little. If it is possible to view an animation of the radar from that day it can be seen?

Anyways, Thursday aside, could there be any possible mechanism whereby thunderstorm cells are somehow almost "drawn" towards the path of the river Shannon even when wind direction would be expected to take them on a different trajectory???

The lightning strike cluster along the Shannon in the linked post by lostinashford shows a perfect example of this from last August. Let me know what you lads think...am I barking mad on this one?...:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80057070&postcount=1903

EDIT: just noticed this post from RickyLovesYouAll from that day which backs this up
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80057467&postcount=1907

By the way I had observed this tendency locally in previous years but it is easier to identify with the wonders of rainfall radar technology!

Advertisement