Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar Hannover Street - 4.89 for a Chicken Fillet Roll!

• 08-10-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Couldnt believe the price of this. That was with Lettuce and Tomato. Was extremely annoyed. Couldnt really hand it back now can you?

Felt very ripped off!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No tea with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Nothing with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

xpletiv wrote: »
    Couldnt believe the price of this. That was with Lettuce and Tomato. Was extremely annoyed. Couldnt really hand it back now can you?

Felt very ripped off!
    Of course you can hand it back once it has not been eaten and you have not paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

xpletiv wrote: »

Felt very ripped off!

Leave it on a random shelf and walk out then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ahyeahok wrote: »

Yes, they might get the message then !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If there was no clear indication (sign) of the price then yes you are perfectly entitled to decline the sale.

However if there were clear signs as to what the price would be, then as a shopkeeper i would be peeved with you if you tried to refuse it.

€4.89 is very steep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I would have handed it back, no problem, gone are the days of keeping my mouth shut.... It's all about value now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I paid 4 euro for one today and got a can of fanta too.
    I'd count that as a good price.

OP should have just said no and handed it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Did you get butter and / or mayonnaise? Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Like a tub of butter and a jar of mayonaisse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

How is this a rip-off? Were you FORCED to buy it? Did they SECRETLY charge you more that the price advertised?

It written on the signs above your head, next time READ the price first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

sandin wrote: »
    How is this a rip-off? Were you FORCED to buy it? Did they SECRETLY charge you more that the price advertised?

It written on the signs above your head, next time READ the price first.
    Whether you buy it or not has no bearing on whether it's a rip off or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Paid €4.50 for one in Athlone, in the f-ing midlands! Thought it was pretty steep, would have expected those prices in some shops in Dublin. Their loss because it is my local petrol station and haven't went there since, so for that extra euro or two they made they have lost out on at least 20 transactions from me and counting.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

1:99 in centra dame street
    1:99 in londin damestreet
    1:99 in spar dame street

Whether you buy it or not has no bearing on whether it's a rip off or not.

If there's a sign that has the price on it and you choose to ignore the sign and buy blindly, then you cannot claim rip-off.

Whilst 4.89 is high, its not overly so for a city centre. Pret a Manger in London charge £4.95 (about €6.30) for a chicken and bacon sandwich that I can get for 3.79 in a local deli. Expensive, yes, rip-off, no as the price is advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

If there's a sign that has the price on it and you choose to ignore the sign and buy blindly, then you cannot claim rip-off.

Whilst 4.89 is high, its not overly so for a city centre. Pret a Manger in London charge £4.95 (about €6.30) for a chicken and bacon sandwich that I can get for 3.79 in a local deli. Expensive, yes, rip-off, no as the price is advertised.

When there is that much difference between the other places IN DUBLIN and this, yes, this entirely is a rip off. How the heck can they justify that :/ This isnt even city centre, its a side street off Pearse/Sir John Rogersons Quay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

WTF are you on about, it doesn't make a difference if the price is advertised. If it was advertised at €50 for a roll then are you saying that's not a rip off, simply because it's advertised as such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was advertised at €50 for a roll then are you saying that's not a rip off, simply because it's advertised as such?
    Yes, I would say it is not a rip off, if it is clearly advertised people have the choice, there is not even a hint of a monopoly and there would be other food in this shop which might be better value the customer decides what good value is.

What would be a rip off is if he paid and was handed a petite pan roll with a 1/4 of a chicken fillet in it. As this would have been him paying for something and being deceived/conned into thinking he was going to get a larger item which you might reasonably expect. If he paid €2 or €100 for something and got what he wanted I do not see how he could call it a ripoff, he presumably thought it was good value and paid for it.
    ahyeahok wrote: »
    Then it might go to waste, leading to price increases on this and/or other products to cover this loss. Same goes for people refusing poured pints in pubs. If you are concerned about prices/value then ask what it is. Don't go increasing the price for everybody else, and waste peoples time, effort & product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BGdyNew

Hi, just signed onto Boards for the first time as I'm disgusted with the Spar at 131 Leeson St. Sorry to piggyback the Spar on Hannover quay thread but similar rubbish going on.

I bought a loaf of bread and a few other things in the Leeson St Spar just now. I'd already paid when I realised it was far too expensive and asked him how much the bread was and he said 3.70!

When I queried the price he then offered me 20cent refund right there at the till BEFORE I went back to check the price displayed on the shelf. Sure enough the price on the shelf was 3.50

20cent is tiny but these guys are just taking the absolute p**s by charging any price that comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

BGdyNew wrote: »
    Hi, just signed onto Boards for the first time as I'm disgusted with the Spar at 131 Leeson St. Sorry to piggyback the Spar on Hannover quay thread but similar rubbish going on.

I bought a loaf of bread and a few other things in the Leeson St Spar just now. I'd already paid when I realised it was far too expensive and asked him how much the bread was and he said 3.70!

When I queried the price he then offered me 20cent refund right there at the till BEFORE I went back to check the price displayed on the shelf. Sure enough the price on the shelf was 3.50

20cent is tiny but these guys are just taking the absolute p**s by charging any price that comes to mind.

Lord Jesus :eek:

What bread costs 3.50? PLEASE tell me it was a fancy parisienne yoke shipped in airmail from Paris.

*I am a retailer, but not spar*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BGdyNew

Nothin that flash - MacCambridge's White Farmhouse Batch. I'll never darken the door of that shop again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Unfortunately it is the customers who keep paying the high price and don't complain which keep things as they are,

I have felt this for many years, we just seem to accept what we are told or asked for,

if an establishment starts losing business (due to overpricing) they will have to look at their situation and act accordingly (reduce prices),

it seems to be an inherit trait within Irish society, if I am told the price of something it must be true,

for me this seems to hold true in most if not all things, the Irish people will accept what they are told (not all but most),

it is something that seems to be changing but I think it will take a long time,

if we can learn to say no when we feel we are being ripped off, the people or establishments who are doing the ripping off might have to rethink their business model,

I will sometimes lift a product in a shop or supermarket that I use on a regular basis, I may not look at the shelf price, but once I get to the checkout and it is scanned and I am told how much said item is, if I feel it is over priced I will just not hand over my hard earned,

then leave and try to get a better deal somewhere else, there is no crime in saying no, the sooner we all say no on a more regular basis the sooner we might get better value.

Africa wrote: »
    When there is that much difference between the other places IN DUBLIN and this, yes, this entirely is a rip off. How the heck can they justify that :/ This isnt even city centre, its a side street off Pearse/Sir John Rogersons Quay.

Most places charge €4 - €4.50. A few do a bargain special at €1.99 but very much restrict you on fillings.

Also what is the quality of the chicken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nothin that flash - MacCambridge's White Farmhouse Batch.
    That is pretty flash, and no doubt left out on purpose so people would think it was a bog standard sliced pan. In most convenience stores a standard 800g sliced pan is €2.20-2.60.

McCambridges are recognised as a higher quality brand, this loaf you mention is in their artisan range. Tesco own brand farmhouse batch is €2.10, this is on the shelf not even the 'fresh' bakery section, so I wonder what tesco would have charged for this one you got, and I would expect to pay at least 50cent more in a typical convenience shop.
    I'll never darken the door of that shop again.
    I hope you will look at prices in future too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

What is it about Spars? I used to go to one at another location ( not a million kms from Hannover Street). I used spend about €7 every day ( 5 days a week), but after getting charged €3.30 for a baguette with 2 sausages ( and NO, there was no price advertised - yeah another issue, but not going down that road now), I stopped going there.

Their loss, my gain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I've handed rolls back a good few times, one recently in a petrol station, where I got a teaspoon of tuna and a small sprinkle of cheese and they tried to charge me 4.20 for it. Called the manager over, told him I normally would get that roll for 3 euro in a different store, he shook his head and told me the girl was new, then dropped the price to 2.50 as he said the roll was very light. I then told him that I want a roll with tuna in it as a sandwich filler, not as a spread, he got the girl to fill it properly then tried to charge me 4.20 for it.

At this stage I just told him that I'll go somewhere else, that it's the principle of being overcharged for a 2 filler roll and how could he justify a jump of 1.70 for an extra topping of tuna. He then looked embarrassed and nodded his head and charged me 3 squid for it. Others in the shop began nodding their head. Not being stingy, but essentially this was all said amicably and jokingly and without me saying something I would have walked out that door with my lunch not filling me belly and me never shopping in there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Like a tub of butter and a jar of mayonaisse?

No, strangely enough. On the roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No, strangely enough. On the roll.

That's a lot to charge then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

This is the spar I go to as well. I no longer use their deli due to the cost of their rolls. Extremely expensive.

4.89 for a chicken roll is a rip off, no question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

why not just buy a plain roll, a tub of tuna mayo sandwich filler and DIY? There must even be a Tesco or Dunnes nearby that will bring down the cost of that roll to about 2 euros.
    I used to buy a baguette and some cheese slices and make my own, you can even get individual portions of butter or mayo (or keep the ones you get from fast food outlets, they don't have to be kept in the fridge)

Advertisement