Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing AVI files on a Hannspree TV

• 08-10-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I have a Hannspree SE40LMNB TV and my problem is that it will not play AVI file because necessary Codec both Audio and Video are not installed.

Anyone got any ideas how I can remedy this?

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Anyone out there?

Even a caustic comment would be a start. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

It wont play any AVI file through USB? Are you able to view pictures through the same USB?

It plays mp3 (some music file types it does not play) and displays jpg no problems, it plays mp4 and mpeg files no problem just does not play avi file types .

I am trying to find out can I install codecs onto the tv, tries the Hannspree website but to no avail.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Video formats played.

MPEG1/2 (*.AVI, *.MPG, *.MPEG, *.TS)
    MPEG4 (*.AVI, *.MP4)
    H.264 (*.AVI, *.MP4, *.TS)

AVi does not always mean it supports Divx/Xvid as it requires a licence.

Try another AVI. You may have to recode the fim to one of the formats above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I have a Hannspree SE40LMNB TV and my problem is that it will not play AVI file because necessary Codec both Audio and Video are not installed.

Anyone got any ideas how I can remedy this?

Thanking you in advance.

Re encode the file to a compatible video format ...... AVI is just the wrapper and can contain many different video types (codecs). It appears yours contains an incompatible one for the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It plays mp3 (some music file types it does not play) and displays jpg no problems, it plays mp4 and mpeg files no problem just does not play avi file types .

I am trying to find out can I install codecs onto the tv, tries the Hannspree website but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Don't think you will be able to install codecs, these are usually built in.
    Maybe a firmware upgrade (if available) might help.
    Else do as others recommend, re-encode the file into something the TV can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

Alternative is to hook the TV to the computer via a HDMI lead or a VGA PC lead. Then run the software VLC on the computer. It can play nearly everything. It will also allow you to watch RTE player etc on your TV.

Re encode the file to a compatible video format ...... AVI is just the wrapper and can contain many different video types (codecs). It appears yours contains an incompatible one for the TV.

gerryo wrote: »
    Don't think you will be able to install codecs, these are usually built in.
    Maybe a firmware upgrade (if available) might help.
    Else do as others recommend, re-encode the file into something the TV can play.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Alternative is to hook the TV to the computer via a HDMI lead or a VGA PC lead. Then run the software VLC on the computer. It can play nearly everything. It will also allow you to watch RTE player etc on your TV.

Thank you all for your help, I guessed the solution would not make my life easier, so begins the conversion of many files. Hopefully Hannspree will come up with an update soon.

Thanks again. :D

Advertisement