Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropkick Murphys - Vicar St - 12th Jan

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

currently in my loose fitting shoes and a shoulder brace from moshing last night, great gig, pity they didnt play spicy but everything else was top class, even dirty glass which canbe touch and go with some gigs. Turner, i disliked listening to albums, great live, convert after 2 songs, blood or whiskey were great i thought, but i am a closet fan

8380126824_63258c07ba_z.jpg
    Dropkick Murphys Crowd by melekalikimaka, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Well, this was rather good!!

Guy beside me mentioned that he had been warned about pickpockets on the way in which surprised me as the guy on the door didn't say anything, and I've never heard of that being a problem at gigs in Dublin before. Obviously some scumbags have come up with innovative ways to beat the recession. :mad:

As for the gig, well, I missed Blood & Whiskey as I was late-ish getting in and didn't realise there would be two support acts. Got in for the start of Frank Turner's set and by the end I was a total convert. The only song I recognised was I Still Remember, but I loved his set and met him at the merch stand afterwards. He came across as a sound guy, will definitely go to see him again.

Dropkicks were great, of course, it wasn't so much a gig as a brawl! Nice to see Vicar St were a bit more relaxed about the moshing and crowd surfing than other venues. When you have a band like the DM's playing, you can't expect people to stand around politely! Special thanks to scudzilla for selling me his spare ticket, sorry I didn't get to meet up with you beforehand, I still owe you a pint for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What a weekend, Saturdays gig was awesome but i think Sunday just beat it.

Bit more time here and a few pics.

Won a pair of Meet and Greet passes on Friday from Nova so got here around 4pm on Sat, when i saw these packages were 130euro i thought it was a rip off, but after experiencing it would seriously consider buying one again!

Went intot he venue and were both given a limited edition signed print of the Dropkicks by a guy called Brian Mercer, the guy is seriosuly talented http://mercerrock.com/.

They didn't feel like ordianry posters, were think with a sort of embolished print, also signed int he corner by the artist. will be getting one of ours framed at the first opportunity.

IMAG1071.jpg

IMAG1072.jpg

Also given a t-shirt each that wasn't available at the Merch Stall, surprised really as i reckon they would have flew out

IMAG1096.jpg

Went into arena area, Al ran over wit a large cooler of beers and gave us all one, maybe 20 of us, then they launched into a mini set of 6 songs, with chatting inbetween songs, played State of Massachussets which was ace.

After this they came out front and signed our posters/cds and posed for pics for about 45 mins.

Funny tale from Al, he loves comin to Dublin cos of the fit women, but normally after Dublin they go straight to Liverpool, where, in his words, "The women all look like they should be chasing cars!!"

Asked Tim if they'd ever consider doing a DKM Dublin Paddy's day gig, he said it could well happen within 2yrs :D:D

At the gig last night, we were on the right by the speakers, Al was up on them at te end, recognised The Wench and i and pointed to us, thumbs up, which was nice

IMAG1060.jpg

Have a few vids from the soundcheck which will post at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

well that was enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good gig, great to see a band who can really change up their setlist from gig to gig rather than just stick to same songs night after night, even if it doesn't always work (I think last night may have been the worst version of Going out in style they have performed.). Also shows how down to earth the lads are that they willingly told people where they would be staying.

Doesn't top their gig in the Olympia a few years ago for me but a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Was there any pickpockets around tonight?

I got my phone nicked last night after 2 or 3 songs in, seemed to be another 3 or 4 around me that got there phones stolen as well but security reacted quickly to it and sent 5 security guards into the crowd, shame they didn't catch anyone.

Great gig, Frank Turner was on top form (prefer him solo rather than with the band) & Dropkick Murphys were spot on.
    I thought Blood and whiskey were decent, a lot better than the last few times I've seen them with the current lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Apparently Frank is coming back in April. This would be great.

Frank Turners tour diary, seems Al was sick for a show (maybe 2), Ken also gave up bass duties for a few tracks

Funny vid here from the New York show, skip to around 8:00

Ken spots a guy onstage doing a Nazi salute, goes over, drops his bass and lamps the fcuker outta there!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement