Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Zurich

Options
  • 08-10-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hey guys I was just wondering what peoples views of this race are. A few clubmates and myself were thinking about giving it a lash next year. Cheers!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

kevinm177 wrote: »
    hey guys I was just wondering what peoples views of this race are. A few clubmates and myself were thinking about giving it a lash next year. Cheers!!!!

Did it in 2010 - observations:

Logistics: Easy to get to and based around the city centre, so only a short trip back to the hotel from transition etc.

Nice swim (Lake Zurich), bike is a good mix of flat and climbing, but on great roads and HeartBreak Hill is a great kick (at least the 1st time around...).

Run is dead flat, 4 loops in and around the lake.

Would highly recommend it - the only downside is €€€ - Zurich is an expensive town.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

Izoard wrote: »
    Did it in 2010 - observations:

Logistics: Easy to get to and based around the city centre, so only a short trip back to the hotel from transition etc.

Nice swim (Lake Zurich), bike is a good mix of flat and climbing, but on great roads and HeartBreak Hill is a great kick (at least the 1st time around...).

Run is dead flat, 4 loops in and around the lake.

Would highly recommend it - the only downside is €€€ - Zurich is an expensive town.

Thanks for that, not much choice left for next year, was hoping to do Sweden but I didnt get my arse in gear quick enough. Didnt think it would sell so quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Did it in 2010 too.
    Agree with everything Izoard said.
    Weather can be cool, rained on the bike in 2010 if I remember correctly.
    Stayed in campsite on lake on bike course, was dead handy.
    Expensive city though.
    Enjoy!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I spoke to people who did it and the main comment was how expensive it was there. They said they would not go back for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

kevinm177 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, not much choice left for next year, was hoping to do Sweden but I didnt get my arse in gear quick enough. Didnt think it would sell so quick...

I may be wrong here but I heard there are often more entries for sale at a premium later in the year (this may be only for Challenge though)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did you try nirvana for slots elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

Didnt try any where else, I was just going on what the website said.
    We reckon the mix of hills and flat roads will make for a nice race in Zurich
    so we will prob go for this one.

Does it sell out do ye reckon?

You know what its like trying to organise a group of people, it can take a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

it is a really nice course, swim in lake is great, cycle roads are good, has plenty of hills but nice views in return for the effort, run is pan flat. can't fault the course or organisation. entries open right up to the race this year.city is expensive.
    this hostel within walking/tram distance of the start was recommended by locals if you want to save a few quid http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/zurich it books out very quickly apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

My sister in law has a very nice large house on the bike route.......it's tempting with the free accomodation but the entry fee alone makes me want to lie down :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    My sister in law has a very nice large house on the bike route.......it's tempting with the free accomodation but the entry fee alone makes me want to lie down :D

Far too easy an IM for you, my friend.

How would you show your face around these parts with THAT medal around your neck?

The shame...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Hi guys,

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. I signed up to this event too. I had signed up to Frankfurt witha few lads but had to change plans as a friend wouldn't move his wedding day. How selfish!:p

Anyways, as a result of that, I'll be heading to Zurich on my own.

I see the link to the youth hostel but how is everyone doing about accomodation at this stage? I'd be a bit dubious about staying in a dorm before my first IM!

Also, any tips for a first timer are more than welcome too! Im following the Don Fink Competitive program and am 16 weeks in at this stage. Feeling good enough, a bit pi**ed off with it at the minute (inevitable middle slump??) but the body is holding up well. Did a week's training camp in Banyoles (near Girona) in Spain (lovely mountains!) at easter and that helped my biking no end! Also gave me the confidence that I can cycle at a low heart rate at a decent speed once the roads are good!

Anyways.. I'm ranting..

Thanks in advance.

C

altercor wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. I signed up to this event too. I had signed up to Frankfurt witha few lads but had to change plans as a friend wouldn't move his wedding day. How selfish!:p

Anyways, as a result of that, I'll be heading to Zurich on my own.

I see the link to the youth hostel but how is everyone doing about accomodation at this stage? I'd be a bit dubious about staying in a dorm before my first IM!

Also, any tips for a first timer are more than welcome too! Im following the Don Fink Competitive program and am 16 weeks in at this stage. Feeling good enough, a bit pi**ed off with it at the minute (inevitable middle slump??) but the body is holding up well. Did a week's training camp in Banyoles (near Girona) in Spain (lovely mountains!) at easter and that helped my biking no end! Also gave me the confidence that I can cycle at a low heart rate at a decent speed once the roads are good!

Anyways.. I'm ranting..

Thanks in advance.

C

Best of luck with it.
    One thing on the bike course - they highlight 2 climbs (The Beast and HH), but the one that got me was the drag up along the railway lines, that seems to fly under the radar. So there are 3 distinct climbs to prepare for on each lap.

Also, some of the descents are very twisty and tricky - a few daredevils came to grief on a couple of corners.

Hope you have the Speedo/Compression socks look sorted - very popular among the athletes in the days leading up to the race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Thanks for that Izoard!

Ya, the descending has improved after the trip to Spain.. Thankfully. Before then I'd have been quicker walking with my bike on my back.

Nice to have the info re the extra drag, cheers!

Speedos and compression socks? Fashion suicide! Almost as bad as socks and sandals!

Advertisement