Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhiloCyphers reading log

Options
  • 08-10-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

A voracious reader in my youth I'd always been the type to pop into the book shop whenever I could, but as life and indeed the internet ate into my free time those books would take longer and longer to get through such that the pile of books by my bed became debilitatingly and paralysingly large . Having recently bought a kindle touch however that pile is now both digital and less daunting and thus I find myself reading more then i have in years .

In the honeymoon period of my ownership of this device the novelty of having my entire library at my fingertips saw me beginning a practice whereby I began reading multiple books from different genres at the same time , dividing my time fairly evenly between each book until the final acts . Whether this is a common or wise practice I don't know but I'm sticking with it for now.

Books I've read since I've got my kindle

God is not great - Christopher Hitchens

Having already gods delusion he was already pretty much preaching to the choir with me but I still found it interesting enough , especially the fact he had tried so many religions on for size in his youth before coming to his senses.

Catch me if you can - Frank W Abagnale

If you have ever seen the film you get the idea , the film made a few modifications but for the most part it nails this mans incredible true life "on the lam" Story.

The bodies left behind - Jeffrey Deaver

A proper page turner this one
    When a 911 call from a secluded Wisconsin vacation house is cut short, off-duty deputy Brynn McKenzie leaves her husband and son at the dinner table and drives up to Lake Mondac to investigate—and walks right into a nightmare when she stumbles upon the scene of an atrocious, gruesome murder. Brynn realizes that the perpetrator hasn’t left the crime scene yet, but it’s already too late to call for backup—dense woods surround the house, and there is nowhere for her to run but into the hostile Wisconsin wilderness.

The Bodies Left Behind is filled with Deaver’s signature twists and turns, where nothing is what it seems, and death lingers just around the next curve on a deserted path deep in the midnight forest.

Sharpes Tiger - Bernard Cornwell

A fan of historical fiction in general and Sharpe specifically due to the mid 90's tv movies this series is a no brainer for me. A great read .

Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Borroughs

Read this after watching John Carter(excellent film imo) and found myself surprised at how good it was(stupid I know) I had been expecting stuffy overly ornate prose but found it while formal (as befitting its narration by a virginian cavalry man marooned on Mars) very readable .

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Despite the high acclaim in which this book was held I did wonder at the outset whether i could get past the fact it's main character and indeed the majority of its cast were children albeit prodigy's , but once I got into it and saw the depth he gave Ender I was solidly along for the ride .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Despite the high acclaim in which this book was held I did wonder at the outset whether i could get past the fact it's main character and indeed the majority of its cast were children albeit prodigy's , but once I got into it and saw the depth he gave Ender I was solidly along for the ride .

It is a really enjoyable read alright. I only read it in the last 10 days.

Advertisement