Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any alternative to EPC3925 wireless router?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Signed up to UPC last week, on the 100mb broadband plan. The router they gave me, Cisco EPC3925, is an absolute piece of ****, as many of you will know from dealing with it or reading about how bad it is. I tried to set up the bridging mode via the 2 guides on here but I can't configure my old router to work with this new one, so instead I'm wondering if I can buy a new router that will connect directly to the UPC cable from the UPC box in the wall, and maybe have decent range on it.

At the moment, I can get between 50 and 60mb on wireless when I am in the same room as the router, and that's a grand speed, happy with that, but the rooms where people actually use the broadband on laptop's, PS3 etc are about 15 yards away and can only get around 3mb in there, which is a bit of a joke.

Can you even buy modem/routers from the likes of Belkin/Cisco? I'm not sure what I'm looking for as most routers I've seen are ADSL which won't work and the Dual Band ones I've seen don't have a connection for the UPC cable.

Sorry, I know I'm sounding like a complete noob here but that's because I am. I just want to know can I buy a router to replace the EPC3925 and provide me with decent range. I have tried range extenders and they have given pretty poor results, 8mb being the max I could reach.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    so instead I'm wondering if I can buy a new router that will connect directly to the UPC cable from the UPC box in the wall

Unfortunately you can't do this. the UPC cable modem is the only one that will connect succesfully. Following either of the two guides to put a router in the cisco's DMZ or true bridge it with the cisco are the only options.

edit: yes there are loads of non-adsl routers available.
    For example, the one I got recently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardware-streaming/dp/B004TPWRSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349711948&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oh god. I'm gonna have to try the bridging again so. I have a Belkin router that I used previously which is decent, but I've no idea how to make it an Access Point.

Back to google I go. Cheers for the info.

Advertisement