Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business name vs website name

Options
  • 08-10-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I'm really stuck on something and hoping someone can help.

I'm registered as a sole trader and wanted to get a website. The website name I'm looking for is different to my registered business name.

Can I do that, if I put the business reg name on the website? or do i need to register that business name also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cosman9373 wrote: »
    I'm really stuck on something and hoping someone can help.

I'm registered as a sole trader and wanted to get a website. The website name I'm looking for is different to my registered business name.

Can I do that, if I put the business reg name on the website? or do i need to register that business name also?

Thanks

I doubt if you could get the Irish domain name with having it as a registered trading name.

You can have more than one trading name, and it would only cost for 20 or 30 euro to register the second name.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

Yes I was thinking that's what I'd have to do alright.

Just for banking etc I'd prefer not to have two trading names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cosman9373 wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking that's what I'd have to do alright.

Just for banking etc I'd prefer not to have two trading names.

Would it not be slightly confusing for customers etc, if the business has one name and the web site a different (even if similar) name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Working on the basis that you are a sole trader ..

If you are trading as something other than your name then you'd need a registered business name eg. "Widget Services"

If you want to register a .ie domain name that's not a clear variant on the business name eg. acmeproduct.ie then you wouldn't need a second registered business name BUT you would need to provide a signed letter explaining why you want to register that domain name

However, if you were registering a .co or .com domain you wouldn't need any extra paperwork

There's no reason why the domain name would have to match the business name - the only thing that you'd need to do is make sure that your contact details etc., are clear

HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

The website name I'm looking for is different to my registered business name.

If you're looking for a different domain name for SEO reasons, forget about that and use your business name instead. Otherwise... why do you want to use a different name?

• Advertisement
Advertisement