Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when i was in the pub in harolds cross i used to get a few guards. i didnt once let them have anything for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Work nights in a 24hour petrol station in the country. Often give away free coffee's etc to the local guards, just makes sense from a business point of view. In return ive their mobile numbers and ring them any time someone is causing a bit of hassle of whatever, theyll be there instantly, theyll check on the place a few times during the night aswell.

Likewise i give free coffee's to bus drivers, cause they bring customers, likewise delivery drivers sometimes and other people who help out the place, its good business sense! Actually the list is bigger, fire fighters, paramedics, god damm even road rescue for when we get broken cars coming into us!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The topaz at city west always has gardai at it, I've never seen them pay. Do I have an issue with it ? No I don't. They have a ****ty job and work **** hours so if they a free cup if coffee and a few donuts let them have it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

enricoh wrote: »
    i met the publican beside me in the local cop shop before crimbo last year, dropping in a box full of jemy, brandy etc. his place has plenty of late nights n never any hassle with cops knocking. good bit of business on his behalf but i think its a slippery slope

Is his pub built on an incline ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

timmywex wrote: »
    Work nights in a 24hour petrol station in the country. Often give away free coffee's etc to the local guards, just makes sense from a business point of view. In return ive their mobile numbers and ring them any time someone is causing a bit of hassle of whatever, theyll be there instantly, theyll check on the place a few times during the night aswell.

Likewise i give free coffee's to bus drivers, cause they bring customers, likewise delivery drivers sometimes and other people who help out the place, its good business sense!

So they do give preferential treatment for freebies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

I always got a free coffee at Topaz when filling my truck and using my Topaz card , most times was asked if Id like a free muffin as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

MidlandsM wrote: »
    This thankless job bolloxology that keeps being posted........

A decent secure salary with lots of perks and a pension..........thankless me hole

With having to put up with junkies, drunks, scumbags and everything else thrown at them on a daily basis, while having no support from the judges in this country.

The pay is great, yes it is relativity secure with a good pension, but with a risk of being injured and killed on duty. And this is the case as seen in Donegal over the last few years, young gardai who put themselves in harms way to recover someone's stolen car, and paid with their life. And at the same time they are constantly vilified by many in the public.

Give them their tea and coffee ffs.

Boombastic wrote: »
    So they do give preferential treatment for freebies

No, im sure they'd check the place a few times every night as its the only place open for maybe 20 miles at night. But its nice to have a way to say thanks.

Similarly if you work in an office, you might have a canteen to get your free coffee, might get some free stationary or even, god forbid, a trip away to a conference, dont see you complaining.

If in your line of work you were looking after me or helping me id give you a free coffee aswell! :eek:

With having to put up with junkies, drunks, scumbags and everything else thrown at them on a daily basis, while having no support from the judges in this country.

The pay is great, yes it is relativity secure with a good pension, but with a risk of being injured and killed on duty. And this is the case as seen in Donegal over the last few years, young gardai who put themselves in harms way to recover someone's stolen car, and paid with their life. And at the same time they are constantly vilified by many in the public.

Give them their tea and coffee ffs.

Maybe if the gardai give the judges free coffee, the judges would support them more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't see what all the fuss is about. So what it the Gardaí get the occasional free coffee or sandwich? They do a job that most of us wouldn't want to do. I recognise a few of our local Gardaí when I'm out shopping, only because I know the faces, otherwise when they're off duty or on lunch break they tend to try to cover the uniform and get on with their shopping.

The funerals of the 2 young policewomen in the UK last week highlighted the fact that frontline emergency service personnel can never be sure that they will make it home safely at the end of their shifts.

The level of begrudgery in this country is unreal. Talk about some people putting the 'cnut' into country.

• Advertisement

Similarly if you work in an office, you might have a canteen to get your free coffee, might get some free stationary or even, god forbid, a trip away to a conference, dont see you complaining.

If in your line of work you were looking after me or helping me id give you a free coffee aswell! :eek:

But who pays for it? my company
    Who pays for the gardais coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

And really why does it bother you that much? It's coffee ffs.
    There is nothing unprofessional in taking a cup of coffee if it's offered for no charge. I................
    Seems to bother you more than me, afraid of loosing your perks?

Here's what went out for tender, nowhere does it mention coffee
    THE SUPPLY OF AUTOMOTIVE FUELS, ENGINE LUBRICATING
    OILS and CAR WASH THROUGH MEANS OF A CHARGE CARD
    MECHANISM

RGDATA! wrote: »
    huh?
    Which one should they prioritise? What other information have we about these robberies to make a decision about who gets priority?

One gives free coffee, the other doesn't

and here's your answer
    I worked in a place where I always gave the local guards free tea, biscuit and use of our canteen at night. I worked in a 24hr store and dealt with all the dregs of society at 3am.
    Why did i look after the guards??
    Cos when i was getting punched, robbed or threatened they came to help as soon as I called them and often drove past to check we were ok.

Why are a lot of garda resources being direct to act as security for Shell to Sea, when crime in urban and other rural areas is going ignored, wait...who owns Topaz and how was the contract awarded?

What perks do I lose exactly?
    I'm not a guard if that's what your hinting at. I just can't understand why someone getting a free cup of coffee is such a big deal.
    It's actually pathetic that someone would begrudge someone a free cup of coffee because of their job.

Regardless who pays for it, its a perk to you yeh?

In this case, my company pays the 15c yeh!

As the truck driver above mentioned, he gets free coffees alot of the time after a fill! Welcome to the real world where everyone gets freebie's along the road!

Topaz more than likely. It costs them feck all to provide a cup of tea or coffee.

It's hardly costing other folk a fortune the fact a gardai gets a free tea

I'm not a guard if that's what your hinting at. I just can't understand why someone getting a free cup of coffee is such a big deal.
    It's actually pathetic that someone would begrudge someone a free cup of coffee because of their job.

It's the principal, should a jeweler have to give free jewelry? and it's not just 1 free cup of coffee it's 13, 559 * X number of cups of free coffee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Should this thread title not read

"Free/discounted coffee for Emergency Service workers in some establishments"

It really is shocking to hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't have a problem with emergency services getting free coffee but taxi drivers can fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

It's a disgrace Joe!! First Croke Park now free coffee!!

Anybody who has a problem with Gardai getting free coffee is a miserable Cnut. I'd guess many jobs come with perks better than a free cup of coffee

It's the principal, should a jeweler have to give free jewelry? and it's not just 1 free cup of coffee it's 13, 559 * X number of cups of free coffee

Which topaz is obviously happy to hand out free of charge!
    It's entirely their business if they give out free cups of coffee to certain people or they can pour it down the sink if they want because it's their product to do as they please.

When there's a road safety campaign going on & they offer a free cup of tea or coffee to a driver in order to refresh them on a journey, do you have an issue with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Seeing as Gardaí are getting free/discounted coffee from some establishments, do any of ye have any proof that in return the Gardaí are giving these establishments preferential treatment?

Or maybe ye are just using it as an excuse for some Garda bashing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

This thankless job bolloxology that keeps being posted........

A decent secure salary with lots of perks and a pension..........thankless me hole

It is thankless. Imagine having a job where some people have an irrational dislike for you and judge you without getting to know you. People don't judge me on my job. They don't judge me when someone makes me tea. And I don't put myself in harms way to protect those same people.

Do you take the same exception to paramedics or fire fighters or nurses being given a cup of tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Its not just coffee. I used to work in a well known chipper. A guard came i one day and got about 2 or 3 bags of food. I charged, he paid. And the shift manager ran after him and gave back the money. I got the "We don't charge the guards so they will come faster when we need them" speech

• Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

Honestly I agree with most people who say its just a coffe and these guys do a hard job. It is not our fault or their fault they get the abuse they do its the system.
    it all boils down to percetion
    If you are a teenager in a f****d up area whose parents spend all the money on anything but food for you and you go into a shop and rob (yes rob) a carton of milk what happens?
    Would you as that teenager not feel a little angry :mad:that the person called to punish you openly takes theses freebies:eek: ?? would it not seem like you were not going to be heard just the voice of the shop owner:confused:??

Bit heavy I know but I think it gets the point accross, how can we stop the corruption at the top when WE ALL do little thing every day that could be seen as corupt / cheating / small stroke /scam / tax dodge etc ????

I say they deserve the free coffe but thats not the problem is it:(

It's entirely their business if they give out free cups of coffee to certain people or they can pour it down the sink if they want because it's their product to do as they please.

When there's a road safety campaign going on & they offer a free cup of tea or coffee to a driver in order to refresh them on a journey, do you have an issue with that?

Any links to show it's coming out of Topaz's budget?

From GardaReview (You couldn't make this sh1t up!)

CuP OF TEA
    Wet heat damages the body more than dry heat. Steam has the capacity to carry up to 4,000 times more heat than dry air. Inhalation
    injuries normally present down to the vocal chords; inhaling steam penetrates to the base of the lungs and may cause internal bleeding. Thicker liquids retain heat longer than thin liquids and do more damage.
    Bourke said, “A cup of tea is poured at 85°C; at this temperature a spill onto human skin may result in surgery. Superficial burns start at around 44°C; the tissue beneath the skin starts to break down and the burns are quite painful. Partial thickness burns start at 60°C, and automatically blister. If you have blisters you are in trouble. If you have partial thickness burns you also have
    superficial burns. Partial thickness burns are excruciatingly painful.
    ............................ Psychological pain increases the agony. This type of burn happens at around 69°C, so every cup of tea or coffee requires care:pac::pac:

T^he bill probably works out cheaper than paying an allowance to head kettle boiler in the Garda Station or claims:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Seeing as Gardaí are getting free/discounted coffee from some establishments, do any of ye have any proof that in return the Gardaí are giving these establishments preferential treatment?

Or maybe ye are just using it as an excuse for some Garda bashing

Any form of money changing hands between politicians and civilians is highly suspicious. There is no possibility of giving "gifts" or "donations" without a good reason.

The OP is questioning whether this should also apply to the level of gardai obtaining free coffee, and I believe that 100% yes it should.

I wasn't aware they would do this, I find it disgusting and ridiculous. I hate the gardai, but that's not why I'm saying this. Any proof that I'm prejudiced?

At least ask for "evidence", not "proof" which is an enormously higher standard.

• Advertisement

Any links to show it's coming out of Topaz's budget?

From GardaReview (You couldn't make this sh1t up!)

CuP OF TEA
    Wet heat damages the body more than dry heat. Steam has the capacity to carry up to 4,000 times more heat than dry air. Inhalation
    injuries normally present down to the vocal chords; inhaling steam penetrates to the base of the lungs and may cause internal bleeding. Thicker liquids retain heat longer than thin liquids and do more damage.
    Bourke said, “A cup of tea is poured at 85°C; at this temperature a spill onto human skin may result in surgery. Superficial burns start at around 44°C; the tissue beneath the skin starts to break down and the burns are quite painful. Partial thickness burns start at 60°C, and automatically blister. If you have blisters you are in trouble. If you have partial thickness burns you also have
    superficial burns. Partial thickness burns are excruciatingly painful.
    ............................ Psychological pain increases the agony. This type of burn happens at around 69°C, so every cup of tea or coffee requires care:pac::pac:

T^he bill probably works out cheaper than paying an allowance to head kettle boiler in the Garda Station or claims:D

It's usually run by participating petrol stations. Some topaz stations may be involved, some may not. I assume it's up to the discretion of the manager/ franchise holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of buying their favour, even if the guards were completely incorruptible it would make logical sense for them to incentivise the guards to be regularly calling to the shop for services and food. If the criminals know that at any minute a guard could show up looking for a cup of coffee their less likely to want to rob the place.
    So some businesses lure gardai to their premises with free stuff in order to increase security and then other businesses or citizens who don't or can't offer such enticements have reduced policing. great system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Clarehobo wrote: »
    It is thankless. Imagine having a job where some people have an irrational dislike for you and judge you without getting to know you. People don't judge me on my job. They don't judge me when someone makes me tea. And I don't put myself in harms way to protect those same people.

Do you take the same exception to paramedics or fire fighters or nurses being given a cup of tea?

I don't have to imagine, my brother is in the force.....he tell me it s great job and career.

The level of begrudgery in this country is unreal. Talk about some people putting the 'cnut' into country.

are you calling me a cnut?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

I personnaly know of a builder who does work on saturdays that he calls investments??
    the work is in the houses of *****s and free. this guy drinks like a demon localy and somehow never gets stoped around the town. he wont drink when not local ??
    bit further down the line from coffee but it all starts some where:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I hate the gardai, but that's not why I'm saying this

You hate the gardai, all gardai, that's prejudice.

I know some gentlemen in the guards, I know some idiots too, like any profession but I don't judge everyone I meet from a profession because if a few idiots.

Why are you saying its disgusting?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

How come the OP complains about the Gardaí getting free coffee?

Why not complain about paramedics and fire services getting the same treatment?

Seems a lot of people will look for any reason to complain about Gardaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Brilliant thread. I particularly like the suggestion that a regular Garda makes the decision on who supplies the fuel to the fleet and that he'd put his job on the line for a few cups of coffee on nightshifts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Because they should have to pay for their own damn coffee just like every other working stiff.

Let me ask you this: Why would the managers give free coffee to these people if it weren't for special diligence and privileges in promoting the area? It's clear bribery.

Now don't tell me you don't see the problem with people paying gardai extra money to pay more attention to their property and possessions.

Because they should have to pay for their own damn coffee just like every other working stiff.

Let me ask you this: Why would the managers give free coffee to these people if it weren't for special diligence and privileges in promoting the area? It's clear bribery.

Now don't tell me you don't see the problem with people paying gardai extra money to pay more attention to their property and possessions.

They don't, these places usually give concessions to all emergency staff and some places even to members if Defence Forces. As someone pointed out truck drivers get free tea and coffee.

The op said the guard tried to pay but his offer was refused.

A few places I have been have given me free tea when buying items, usually as I'm a regular there, so I give good business.

There is no evidence suggesting the AGS have been "bought off" by shops with tea so they respond quicker, seriously, anyone who thinks this is the case is deluded, especially managers who have told employees this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Garda stations close to shops and service stations have tabs. I was in a shop a few months ago and the Garda asked for a roll for a prisoner. Needless to say the deli assistant put all the stuff about to be thrown out onto the roll :D

Anyhow if shops are giving free cups of tea/coffee or food to our Gardai then good on them. We should support out brave men and women out on the streets trying their best to protect us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

We should support out brave men and women out on the streets trying their best to protect us.
    The Avengers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

humbert wrote: »
    The Avengers?

They are only interested in the fancy stuff. The Garda are more like a young Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't begrudge the guards getting a free coffee, bag of chips or sambo. The amount of ****e they have to put up with in their job is unreal. Its the least they deserve having to deal with public in this day and age.

are you calling me a cnut?

I don't recall addressing you directly, however should you choose to take my comment personally I won't argue with you:p

• Advertisement

I don't recall addressing you directly, however should you choose to take my comment personally I won't argue with you:p

reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Garda stations close to shops and service stations have tabs. I was in a shop a few months ago and the Garda asked for a roll for a prisoner. Needless to say the deli assistant put all the stuff about to be thrown out onto the roll :D

You think that is acceptable/OK/funny? Why is it needless to say? I used to get my lunch is a few shops where they had accounts and they never engaged in behaviour like that.

Anyway I think this is a bit of a tall tale, or does that deli keep a selection of foodstuffs just out of date on display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

reported.

To the Gardai? Better put the kettle on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Or maybe, just maybe, she sucks the Guard's willy on the weekends.

Or maybe, just maybe, she sucks the Guard's willy on the weekends.

Grow up.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Brilliant thread. I particularly like the suggestion that a regular Garda makes the decision on who supplies the fuel to the fleet and that he'd put his job on the line for a few cups of coffee on nightshifts.

So it's a few cups of coffee per shift is it

I've done some sums (yes I am bored:D)

Cup of coffee 0.1 (if cost price of the coffee is 10c as another poster suggested)
    Days worked 227 (34 days holidays and 104 days off)
    total members 13559
    A few cups 3.5 (I take a few to mean between 3 and 4)
    Total 1,077,262.55

Quite a bill for coffee we're racking up here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Cup of coffee 0.1 (if cost price of the coffee is 10c as another poster suggested)

More like 25c when you include the cup, lid, milk, heating the water etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem. The golf course is adding value to the deal at minimal cost to themselves but what would be a big cost to client if they tried to buy it. Businesses do this all the time. Free refills of soft drinks at american fast food restaurants would be a prime example. Even a free or discounted pastry with your coffee is another example. throw in something that will cost the company little as an incentive to buy the expensive thing.

Are you serious? In my theoretical example the people making the decision have a choice. in choice (A) They organise for the taxpayer to pay 8 million for the necessary services. In choice (B) they also get the same services officially but the get personal benefits on the side totaling 1 million. Cost to the taxpayer is 10 million. And your opinion is that that is a good deal???

What are your thinking on the optics of James Reilly's addition of the site owned by a FG supporter to that Primary care priority list? Even if it's totally above board and completely justified and innocent, it doesn't look good does it? To make the analogy more accurate, suppose you found out that he was to get some kickback from the project? *

* I'm in no way suggesting anything like this happened. Just a theoretical scenario

latenia wrote: »
    More like 25c when you include the cup, lid, milk, heating the water etc.

Cup of coffee 0.25
    Days worked 227
    total members 13559
    A few cups 3.5
    Total 2,693,156.375

Figures adjusted:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

MagicSean wrote: »

I must have missed that suggestion or else it has been deleted. I'd appreciate it if you gave me a link to it.

Or is a typical example of garda-esque "logic" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement