Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus the OP would blow a gasket if he knew guards got into nightclubs for free when they flash their badges. Ooops, probably shouldn't have let that out of the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Boombastic wrote: »
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Brilliant thread. I particularly like the suggestion that a regular Garda makes the decision on who supplies the fuel to the fleet and that he'd put his job on the line for a few cups of coffee on nightshifts.

So it's a few cups of coffee per shift is it

I've done some sums (yes I am bored:D)

Cup of coffee 0.1 (if cost price of the coffee is 10c as another poster suggested)
    Days worked 227 (34 days holidays and 104 days off)
    total members 13559
    A few cups 3.5 (I take a few to mean between 3 and 4)
    Total 1,077,262.55

Quite a bill for coffee we're racking up here:)

Your assumptions being that all gardai drink tea or coffee, they have at least three cups per shift, every shift, from the garage. Do you really think those are sound assumptions?

The truth of the matter is fairly simple. Most garages only give a free hot drink. The benefit being that the Garda will likely buy something else while he is there like a bar of chocolate. He may even buy his lunch there. So might the other Garda in the car. It's simple marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I worked in a place where I always gave the local guards free tea, biscuit and use of our canteen at night. I worked in a 24hr store and dealt with all the dregs of society at 3am.
    Why did i look after the guards??
    Cos when i was getting punched, robbed or threatened they came to help as soon as I called them and often drove past to check we were ok.
    and what? if you didn't give them free stuff they would leave you to die? it's their ****ing job to come as soon as they can.
    you're post actually encapsulates perfectly why this practice is troublesome

Youve obviously not worked nights in an open store!
    I do realise its their job but its a thankless job alot of the time.
    Ive dealt with drunks and all kinds of scum in my job. Ive been punched, bitten and threatened. So what if i give a guard a coffee or something to eat. It came out of my own pocket not yours or the companies. I had alot of the guards mobile numbers and they got me out of alot of sticky situations. I dont see how this is troublesome....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Your assumptions being that all gardai drink tea or coffee, they have at least three cups per shift, every shift, from the garage. Do you really think those are sound assumptions?

The truth of the matter is fairly simple. Most garages only give a free hot drink. The benefit being that the Garda will likely buy something else while he is there like a bar of chocolate. He may even buy his lunch there. So might the other Garda in the car. It's simple marketing.

I was using your number of a few cups/shift and it seems like from the OP they get some sort of snacks free too, so for those that don't drink coffee/tea, the ones that do take the snacks make up for them

Why would they buy their lunch there after they get it for free, wouldn't they be full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Youve obviously not worked nights in an open store!
    I do realise its their job but its a thankless job alot of the time.
    Ive dealt with drunks and all kinds of scum in my job. Ive been punched, bitten and threatened. So what if i give a guard a coffee or something to eat. It came out of my own pocket not yours or the companies. I had alot of the guards mobile numbers and they got me out of alot of sticky situations. I dont see how this is troublesome....?

Ah sure you're right. And so what if a developer gives a Councillor a couple of grand here or there to keep him sweet. sure it comes out of his own pocket.

And I call bullsh1t on a coffee coming out of your own pocket. Was anything that wasn't paid for or shoplifted come out of your pocket too? Do a full stocktake at the end of every shift did you?

• Advertisement

I was using your number of a few cups/shift and it seems like from the OP they get some sort of snacks free too, so for those that don't drink coffee/tea, the ones that do take the snacks make up for them

Why would they buy their lunch there after they get it for free, wouldn't they be full?

I referred only to nightshifts and the mention of a few was in relation to over the course of a string of nightshifts as only the car crews would get the benefit of it and the car crew would change each shift.

And like I said, the freebie usually ends at a hot drink. The rest is paid for.

yore wrote: »
    Brilliant thread. I particularly like the suggestion that a regular Garda makes the decision on who supplies the fuel to the fleet and that he'd put his job on the line for a few cups of coffee on nightshifts.

I must have missed that suggestion or else it has been deleted. I'd appreciate it if you gave me a link to it.

Or is a typical example of garda-esque "logic" ?

Unfortunately the touch screen boards.ie doesn't number posts or allow multiple quoting. But you should find some of them on the first and second page to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Unfortunately the touch screen boards.ie doesn't number posts or allow multiple quoting. But you should find some of them on the first and second page to start with.

That's ok. I couldn't find them. If you didn't imagine them and can find them again just tell us the post number. Thanks

yore wrote: »

That's ok. I couldn't find them. If you didn't imagine them and can find them again just tell us the post number. Thanks
    Actually you posted one of them. Do you know how to look through your post history? You should be able to find it there. Around post 30 on this thread.

Actually you posted one of them. Do you know how to look through your post history? You should be able to find it there. Around post 30 on this thread.

If we have to do they detective work ourselvs we'll need free coffee - milk no sugar thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Odysseus wrote: »
    Spot on, you nailed it there:rolleyes: I work for the addiction services you would want to see the free stuff I get. All tax free of course. ...
    Sure don't ye get biros, mouse-mats, coasters. post-it pads, mugs, holiday wall planners, diaries, biros etc from the suppliers of drugs, drug-screen kits, etc? Don't ye get taken out to lunch / dinner when the drugs rep calls to see the psych team, CNO? I know ye don't get taken on the golf junkets masquerading as "information sharing events" in Spain and Portugal, they're usually reserved for clinical directors and above, but ye do get "stuff"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The Topaz on the Dock road in Limerick give them free tea and coffee,they fill there cars there and its also a good security measure they get no hassle there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Guards should not be taking anything for free off any body because of their position.

People defending it are people who love our sly politicans and the the likes of the Quinns.

"Ah, sure fair play to them and feck the begrudgers."

It's attitudes like that that have the country in the mess it's in today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Guards should not be taking anything for free off any body because of their position.

People defending it are people who love our sly politicans and the the likes of the Quinns.

I think the Quinns and corrupt politicians are scum, gardai taking a free tea of coffee, I have no issue with.

Kind of puts ruin to your post.

I think the Quinns and corrupt politicians are scum, gardai taking a free tea of coffee, I have no issue with.

No, it doesn't.

They shouldn't be taking freebies so their integrity cannot be called into question.

I work in the private sector and am strictly forbidden from taking anything for free from any suppliers.

I'd be sacked if I was caught doing so.

Free coffee at petrol stations then free gargle off boozers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It's incredible, it has been pointed out many many times in the thread that it is just good business to offer a few freebies to big customers like (probably) your biggest fleet buying fuel. Other regular customers and truck drivers mentioned getting the same freebies.

So Topaz and their hot drink giveaways have the country in a wreck. Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Where do you draw the line in rural Ireland? The guard? The Doctor? The priest :eek: Do you leave it at a coffee? A coffee and a sandwich? Open to abuse and would be no more appreciated than the size of my arse.

Actually when it comes to the guards, in the situation where you have a bar as well, youre better off not having any sort of social interaction, it blurrs the lines. Try not to take the píss to often, be grand.

If a guard is however being offered it, then he'd be a fool not to take it. There is no assumption that it is in any way an investment if a favour is needed. It's just the done thing for generations in so many places.

It's incredible, it has been pointed out many many times in the thread that it is just good business to offer a few freebies to big customers like (probably) your biggest fleet buying fuel. Other regular customers and truck drivers mentioned getting the same freebies.

So Topaz and their hot drink giveaways have the country in a wreck. Shame on them.

I couldn't give a toss who Topaz gives feebies to, that's their business.

But the guards shouldn't be taking freebies from anyone.

They have a job to do, and should not just be impartial, but seen to be impartial.

Do you object to guards getting free beer in pubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Odysseus wrote: »
    You think that is acceptable/OK/funny? Why is it needless to say? I used to get my lunch is a few shops where they had accounts and they never engaged in behaviour like that.

Good point. Nasty behaviour there. It's like how they joke about getting beat up or raped in prison. Then the very same people give out about lighter sentences or people not going to jail.

That's cruel and unusual punishment, nothing funny about it. And I think it shows a real bullying mentality, let's pick on those guys, nevermind their story, nevermind the fact that the criminal justice system often makes mistakes etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

No, it doesn't.

They shouldn't be taking freebies so their integrity cannot be called into question.

I work in the private sector and am strictly forbidden from taking anything for free from any suppliers.

I know one publican who used to give the couple of local Gardai in the village / surrounding area free drink. It meant he did not have to worry so much about late opening, his customers being breathalised on their way home etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

this guy must have heard this story

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

People defending it realise it's a simple cup of coffee. It's hardly what you could call an early retirement plan or a hundred grand wedding cake so do me a favour & don't liken it to dodgy politicians or the quinns.

If the council happen to be filling in potholes outside my house I offer them tea or coffee. Are they not entitled to it because they work for the state & therefore shouldn't lower themselves to accept a decent gesture?
    Cop to fcuk on to yourself & get down off your high horse.

and the confiscated drink

Former garda not guilty of cider theft

Mr Murphy said he had the cider in his locker for eight months before disposing of it. The cider was taken to a house party and consumed. That was a common practice. He did not consume any of it himself

I hope they remember to list all these perks of the job when they are complaining about their wages being cut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I dont know why people are focusing on Gardai here.

ALL EMERGENCY SERVICE WORKERS get discounted or free coffee in certain petrol stations.

And this happens in nearly every country in the world that has Emergency Service Workers.

And guess what?? Some elderly people invite Gardai into their houses and give them them cups of tea. And maybe even a biscuit!!!! Some schools, medical centers, hospitals do also.

Should Gardai refuse these offers of a cup of tea and quote the "best practice business model and the associated code of ethics" to the little old lady who just wants to talk to anybody for once that week.

And as another poster said they are not picking up the coffee and walking out. They go to the counter and hand over money (for the other products they buy) and some retailers dont charge them for the coffee.

Should they go from shop to shop, petrol station to petrol station begging until somebody takes their €2

Most places now will charge them a nominal fee, 20c or 1 euro.

Lets start a thead about that..

Emergency Service workers get discounted coffee!!! OH MY GOD!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I couldn't give a toss who Topaz gives feebies to, that's their business.

But the guards shouldn't be taking freebies from anyone.

They have a job to do, and should not just be impartial, but seen to be impartial.

Do you object to guards getting free beer in pubs?

I don't quite see how the beer comes in to it.

You seem to be unable to separate the working guard from the guy that goes for a pint after work.

My understanding of the situation in the OP was that Topaz offer a free hot drink to one of their biggest customers. From accounts on the thread, they seem to offer it to other big customers too.

I use a fuel card with them and have never been offered anything, but if I was I'd take it, and I think it's good business policy.

People defending it realise it's a simple cup of coffee. It's hardly what you could call an early retirement plan or a hundred grand wedding cake so do me a favour & don't liken it to dodgy politicians or the quinns.

If the council happen to be filling in potholes outside my house I offer them tea or coffee. Are they not entitled to it because they work for the state & therefore shouldn't lower themselves to accept a decent gesture?

Why don't you cop yourself on?

It's not a single cup of coffeee, it's constant freebies.

Do you object to guards getting free drink in pubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A friend of mine used to work in Topaz. He told he that they used to throw out litres of coffee at the end of the day. What's the problem?

Turner wrote: »
    And guess what?? Some elderly people invite Gardai into their houses and give them them cups of tea. And maybe even a biscuit!!!! Some schools, medical centers, hospitals do also.

Should Gardai refuse these offers of a cup of tea and quote the "best practice business model and the associated code of ethics" to the little old lady who just wants to talk to anybody for once that week.

Are the little old ladies tendering for an €11 +million a year contract from the Gardai?
    Where do you draw the line?
    Can they accept offers of jewellery? Drink? cigarettes? free entry to night clubs?
    Turner wrote: »
    Should they go from shop to shop, petrol station to petrol station begging until somebody takes their €2

Why would they have to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with emergency services getting free coffee but taxi drivers can fcuk off.
    :(

I get freebies. I give freebies (very very very rarely:p)

I was under the impression that businesses still have their own discretion as to who and how much they charge for goods and services in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Japer wrote: »
    I know one publican who used to give the couple of local Gardai in the village / surrounding area free drink. It meant he did not have to worry so much about late opening, his customers being breathalised on their way home etc.

God i love these stories. There was the odd time that did go on, but it wasint every guard and chances are that guard and that publican were in fact friends.

The local guards dont always do the checkpoints. I know we get swooped on by guards form up to 50 miles away because they wont care who you are or who your father is. If you are drinking and behind the wheel of a car you are fúcked..... and rightly so.

It doesnt even have to happen too often. Just often enough to put the fear of God in them to leave the cars at home.

Why don't you cop yourself on?

It's not a single cup of coffeee, it's constant freebies.

Do you object to guards getting free drink in pubs?

I never saw a guard accepting free drink in a pub & it's not today or yesterday I started socialising. But then again I don't know any guard that drinks while in uniform or wears it when they're not working.
    One of my locals often gives us a free drink, a thank you for our custom. If we happen to have a party they supply finger food free of charge. And if we happen to be stuck for a lift home they drop us home without charging us.
    Neither of us are guards.
    So maybe, just maybe, the publican knows the people he gives a free drink to instead of knowing a badge number.

No, it doesn't.

Well your point was moot, you are now making a different one.

I work in a pub, and have done for the last 3 years. This pub is frequented by many gardai, from beat cop,traffic cop, drug cops and inspectors. Never once were any of them looking for free drink, or were they given any free drink. Not once.

In my other job I get free stuff of reps, and my employer knows about this.

And as I have pointed out, shops and cafes I frequent often give me items on the house or discounted.

At the end of they day they do a tough job, why anyone wants to begrudge them a cup of tea is beyond me, it's not like they are taking cash bribes.

I work in a pub, and have done for the last 3 years. This pub is frequented by many gardai, from beat cop,traffic cop, drug cops and inspectors. Never once were any of them looking for free drink, or were they given any free drink. Not once.

And as I have pointed out, shops and cafes I frequent often give me items on the house or discounted.

At the end of they day they do a tough job, why anyone wants to begrudge them a cup of tea is beyond me, it's not like they are taking cash bribes.
    Are you in a position of power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Melion wrote: »
    A friend of mine used to work in Topaz. He told he that they used to throw out litres of coffee at the end of the day. What's the problem?
    Make one cup at a time.

Are you in a position of power?

No, but as I have said, any cop who is swayed by a cup of tea is stupid. I have never seen any preferential treatment from guards towards other pubs or shops.

Even in our pub, with all the guards that are regulars, the traffic corp are still fond of hanging around the locality.

Seriously, this thread is absolutely ridiculous, a cup of tea given free is a nice gesture, given by shops to many people and emergency services, what is the big deal?! It's not going to corrupt the police force ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

My god, with all the things that are rotten in this country... this is what you choose to moan about????? who gives a flying **** if the guards get free coffee????

If a fireman got free coffee would you also moan? or is it ok for them because they are the ones that go into burning buildings when everyones else is running out?

Are the little old ladies tendering for an €11 +million a year contract from the Gardai?

There's one of those posts you couldn't find earlier. Completely irrelevant. The gardai who get a free cup of tea have absolutely no input on who gets any tender. And it happens in most petrol stations, not just the ones where they get fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I always thought this was true.

My local topaz always seems to have a few guards in getting coffee. No hassle there....probably a sh*tty enough job at the best of times...I'm begrudging nobody a free cup.

There's one of those posts you couldn't find earlier. Completely irrelevant. The gardai who get a free cup of tea have absolutely no input on who gets any tender. And it happens in most petrol stations, not just the ones where they get fuel.

Well it's a bit silly to be comparing a little old lady giving a garda a cup of tea to a multi-million pound cooperation offering the whole force cups of tea.

If little old ladies and shops are giving the gardai free tea, when exactly do they get time to work?

Is it ok for councilors to accept freebies from developers? how about politicians? Why/why not?

Why leave it open to abuse - a lot of companies have a policy where staff cannot accept gifts

Are people on here that thick that they think "it's only a cup of tea" when it's been pointed out that it's constant stream of freebies? :rolleyes:

And the rubbish that guards are Topaz's biggest (or one of) customer.

They are not.

The taxpayer is. That's who pays for all the petrol that goes into squad cars. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The shops in the IFSC in Dublin 1 do this.

Free coffee plus rolls for a euro

They like having the uniforms hanging around the shops, keeps away the local kids from messing

If I owned a shop in a busy spot I'd like the uniforms to hang around too

And realy coffee costs feck all, once you have the machine and what you need, it's costing just a few cent for a cup

If little old ladies and shops are giving the gardai free tea, when exactly do they get time to work?

Seriously? Does it need to be pointed out?

When they are not on their lunch break, that's when they work.

And a part of their work is interacting with the public, especially old folk in rural areas,by the gardai calling once a week and having a chat they are putting the old person at ease, reassuring them they are about in event of an emergency etc when they are in the house they might take a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Free coffee for the force.

Hmmm, in fairness, the odd mug of scald not going through the till is hardly an issue.

Love them or hate them, the vast majority of Gardai are in fact sound and alot of them have an awful lot of sh1te to deal with. So, I'd let this one go.

Are people on here that thick that they think "it's only a cup of tea" when it's been pointed out that it's constant stream of freebies? :rolleyes:

They are not.

The taxpayer is. That's who pays for all the petrol that goes into squad cars. :rolleyes:

What freebies? Show us exactly what free stuff guards get?

Members of the force also pay tax btw. What about ambos and fire vehicles, and Defence forces vehicles who use these services, is that wrong too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Same goes on with hotels too

If a coach driver bring a tour group to a hotel for carvary then the driver eats for free. And all the minerals he can drink

Makes sense, keep the driver happy and make your money off the 40 dinners you just sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

This is absolute boll0x tbh, free coffee? So what? I get free coffee in the ss we go to as all our vans get filled there and all our lads buy their rolls etc there as well. It's called looking after the customer and if having that customer around in the case of a guard means you're less likly to get robbed/hassled by scumbags, then the ss would be utterly dumb not to offer them free coffee and buns. I really don't see what the big deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

They are not.

Says someone whose sig implies they don't pay their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I used to work in a 24 hour restaurant in stillorgan when I was in university. Guards used to get free tea and coffee and 50% off food. They came and went at all hours and were always dead on. I never begrudged them anything and used to load up their plates.

They are not.

You do realise that guards pay taxes too?

I have found over the years that anyone who comes up with the argument of the taxpayer pays guards wages is, more often than not, very ignorant & just loves to jump on that bandwagon.

"3. Integrity
    Payments, Gifts, Entertainment
    Employees are encouraged to consider the motive behind business gifts and entertainment and are to ensure that the practice is done only in the spirit of business courtesy and relationship management and in no way creates an environment where one party feels a sense of obligation to the other party.

Employees are not to be involved in any act that could be interpreted as seeking, receiving or dispensing a bribe, kickback or questionable payment. It is unethical and illegal."

If the business is giving the garda freebies under the impression of faster respose times to crimes in their premises, it is unethical for the garda to accept it. If it is seen as a kickback (which it is) it is also unethical to accept it

and from the ombudsman

GARDA SÍOCHÁNA OMBUDSMAN COMMISSION
    CODE OF ETHICS

I
    NTEGRITY

2. Garda Ombudsman personnel shall not accept any gifts or similar favours unless
    authorised by the Commission. Any such offers or gratuities should be declared to the
    Commission and personnel must act within the law at all times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement