Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

A few years ago one of my friends worked in Supermacs in Galway, the first night he was on the tills a few Gardaí came in and ordered a load of food, my mate went to charge them. They looked at him like he was a rapist and then one of them asked if the manager was working. The manager came out and they were sent on their way with free food. My mate was then told by the manager to never charge a Garda because if there was ever trouble they might need to call them.

Also one of the girls my friends back home hang around with is a garda and she says she never pays into nightclubs, just flashes id and walks in.

Free entry to clubs and free food, sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The hotel i work in used to give a free lunch to some of the "regulars" guards that came in during Christmas week. Considering we would be calling them a good few times every year to sort out trouble etc, i think its a small token of appreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cursai wrote: »
    Workers on Tesco or clothes shops get discounts. Its disgraceful....
    That's because they work there. :rolleyes:

Gardaí get issued boots as part of their uniform and a boot allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 hellomynameis

Senna wrote: »
    The hotel i work in used to give a free lunch to some of the "regulars" guards that came in during Christmas week. Considering we would be calling them a good few times every year to sort out trouble etc, i think its a small token of appreciation.

It's their job to sort out trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Senna wrote: »

It's also nice to get some thanks for doing your job from those you help. Why should a Garda be exempt from this?

I get paid in my job, regardless of what I sell. It's still nice to get a tip from a customer you helped all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

All pure speculation, plus a guard wouldn't risk his career should he let a drunk driver go to kill someone further on up the road.

Provide proper evidence of any of this happening.

here's the evidence

Gda McGovern said the sergeant told him he did not realise who he had arrested and that Mr McParland was very good to the officers in Dromad. The garda said he was just doing his job.

The garda rang Dr Harpel Gujral in Slane, Co Meath and asked him to go to Dundalk station and take a blood or urine sample from Mr McParland. Under legislation the sample must be taken within three hours of an arrest on suspicion of drink driving.

The doctor said he was approaching Dundalk when he saw two gardai at a roadblock. He stopped and Sgt Cunningham identified himself and told Dr Gujral that what he had to say was embarrassing but that the doctor should turn back, switch off his mobile phone and go home.

He was told everything was taken care of, it was a very sensitive matter and had been given the OK at top level. His fees would be taken care off.

The doctor had turned around and was on his way back towards Slane when Sgt Cunningham drove alongside him, signalled him to stop and repeated what to do.

Probably doesn't happen as much with drink driving now, but who is to say it doesn't with 'lesser' crimes. Gardai don't exactly keep records of this happening so any evidence I have would be anecdotal, but there are many stories on this thread and google is your friend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 hellomynameis

It's also nice to get some thanks for doing your job from those you help. Why should a Garda be exempt from this?

I'm not saying they should be but why stop at a Garda, they don't thank every person who has a thankless job or who helps them out, why ONLY the garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

I went into topaz on the friday nd got a coffee. Went to pay and yer man said no charge cos its a bank holiday weekend. I threw the coffe in his face and called him an unscrupulous bribing bastard. Actually i said you sure? He said yup nd i said thanks. I wasnt even driving. Moral of the story is businesses sometimes do nice things for their customers to get them to come back. If topaz offers gardai free coffee then they will be more likely to buy their other lunch items there. I work near said topaz and see the gardai spending plenty of money in there apart from filling up.

I'm not saying they should be but why stop at a Garda, they don't thank every person who has a thankless job or who helps them out, why ONLY the garda?

No teachers and others should be included aswell

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    Probably doesn't happen as much with drink driving now, but who is to say it doesn't with 'lesser' crimes. Gardai don't exactly keep records of this happening so any evidence I have would be anecdotal, but there are many stories on this thread and google is your friend

I'm sorry, anecdotal evidence is not enough, I cannot be held accountable for anything on anecdotal evidence, why should a guard.

And stories on this thread don't count.

Anyway, what has that got to do with tea or coffee? Did that drink driving case stem from free coffee? Somehow I doubt it.

No teachers and others should be included aswell

Firemen and paramedics get the same treatment, again and again! It has been said numerous times here.

I'm sorry, anecdotal evidence is not enough, I cannot be held accountable for anything on anecdotal evidence, why should a guard.

Anyway, what has that got to do with tea or coffee? Did that drink driving case stem from free coffee? Somehow I doubt it.

Why should they get anything free or special treatment? It puts them in the position where they can be seen to be accepting favours in return for keeping an eye on the place. Nice to see you ignored the link:rolleyes:

Gda McGovern said the sergeant told him he did not realise who he had arrested and that Mr McParland was very good to the officers in Droma

Why should they get anything free or special treatment? It puts them in the position where they can be seen to be accepting favours in return for keeping an eye on the place. Nice to see you ignored the link:rolleyes:

Gda McGovern said the sergeant told him he did not realise who he had arrested and that Mr McParland was very good to the officers in Droma

Don't start accusations about ignoring posts.

What about the many thousand gardai who avail of free tea, that apply the law equally.

It only puts them in that position in the eyes of people who blow things out of proportion.

It is a cup of tea.

A handful of gardai don't make a whole organisation....

What about the many thousand gardai who avail of free tea, that apply the law equally.

It only puts them in that position in the eyes of people who blow things out of proportion.

It is a cup of tea.

But it's not all pure speculation as you put it. People who do favours for the garda get favours from the garda. It's not about the coffee, it's about freebies in generalmakes them less impartial. I have pointed out one case where they were caught applying their favoritism, so it can't be said that it doesn't happen.

A handful of garda abusing it is a handful too much. Why leave it open to abuse? Where is the line drawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It is a cup of tea.

You see my problem with the force is that the handful of gardai are tolerated by the force as a whole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is only one person keeping this thread alive.

And again and again he is focusing it on Gardai.

Despite the fact that evidence has been givben that certain petrol stations offer free Coffee to Gardai, Paramedics, Firemen, anybody in uniform, people who hold fuel cards, drivers on bank holidays... to name a few.

Another Garda bashing thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Turner wrote: »

Despite the fact that evidence has been givben that certain petrol stations offer free Coffee to Gardai, Paramedics, Firemen, anybody in uniform, people who hold fuel cards, drivers on bank holidays... to name a few.

Have you read the title of the thread? or even any of the posts?

Have you read the title of the thread? or even any of the posts?

Yes.

I have suffered your posts up until now.

• Advertisement

Yes.

I have suffered your posts up until now.

You don't have to read them:rolleyes:

You don't have to read them:rolleyes:

You are right.

Goodluck.

steddyeddy wrote: »

It is a cup of tea.

You see my problem with the force is that the handful of gardai are tolerated by the force as a whole.

No they are not. I have a good friend whose father refused to turn a blind eye to the corruption of a few in Donegal at 1 stage. He wasn't the only one in the station to do the same.

Show me a profession where certain people don't think the piss, it happens in every walk of life. When it happens in the AGS people fly off the handle and tar the whole organisation with the same brush.

I have the greatest respect for this members who can go to the scene of a fatal road accident, pull a body from a river, a suicide or fatal assault, investigate it, inform family members and console them and then go home and deal with there own lives and problems. Not everyone is able to deal with the pressures of working in a police force. To begrudge those member of the force a cup of tea is childish, to suggest that such gestures will influence and corrupt them is insulting tbh.

Tbf the AGS should be cut some slack, it is a thankless job at times, and it's unfortunate people in this thread gloss over the excellent work they do everyday with newspaper articles about a few pr/cks who abuse their position.

That's it for me in this thread, I'll never agree with the mentality that a cop shouldn't get a free cuppa.

No they are not. I have a good friend whose father refused to turn a blind eye to the corruption of a few in Donegal at 1 stage. He wasn't the only one in the station to do the same.

I thought anecdotal evidence wasn't admissible in this thread:eek:

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Japer wrote: »
    let everone else - the little people - pay for the perks of the big boys.
    Indeed, because the Gardaí, paramedics and taxi drivers are of course "the big boys".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The clue is in the thread. :rolleyes:

And yeah, it's a garda bashing thread. Imagine that! Because some of them taking freebies on the job and abusing their well-paid job.

Next there'll be a politican bashing thread about crooked politicans!!! OMG!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The clue is in the thread. :rolleyes:

And yeah, it's a garda bashing thread. Imagine that! Because some of them taking freebies on the job and abusing their well-paid job.

Next there'll be a politican bashing thread about crooked politicans!!! OMG!!!
    To suggest that getting a free coffee is abuse of the job just highlights how utterly ridiculous this thread is. It's coffee.

The comparisons between a Guard getting a free coffee, and a politician taking a backhander reinforce this point even further.

What's next? "Guards shouldn't know anyone in their area by their name as we cannot take a chance that they'll prioritise people they know when fighting crime. Knowing someone's name is a clear sign of corruption. Politicians. Brown envelopes. TIN FOIL HATS!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

MagicSean wrote: »
    Actually you posted one of them. Do you know how to look through your post history? You should be able to find it there. Around post 30 on this thread.

I have two posts earlier onin this thread (below say #50)

yore wrote: »
    My point exactly.....for some reason the powers that be in the Gardai have awarded the contract to fill up the cars of their fleet to this expensive company. If there are cheaper options for petrol/diesel then one would have to wonder why, oh why, would the Gardai land the taxpayer with a higher than necessary bill......... :cool:
    Exactly. Although I suspect that you didn't intend to make this point but this is the reason why it should not be done.

Someone in the Guards makes the decision to give the substantial fuel-buying business of the Gardai to the company and in return the Guards get free stuff.

I'm sure people see the problem with this? Say some other company offers to supply all fuel to the Guards, at the taxpayer expense, of 1.50 a litre whereas Topaz offers it for 1.75 a litre...but they will give free fuel/snacks to any member of the Gardai.

If the contract is worth such a lot of money to Topaz that they can afford to give away such freebies then it is obvious that they make a lot profit from the deal. I think that instead, a less profitable deal for them, and more a more economical one for the taxpayer, should be struck

In neither of them do I state that a local Guard could have the power to decide whether or not Topaz get the contract to supply the fleet. "Templemore logic" at it's best :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

MagicSean wrote: »
    Actually you posted one of them. Do you know how to look through your post history? You should be able to find it there. Around post 30 on this thread.

I have two posts earlier onin this thread (below say #50)

My point exactly.....for some reason the powers that be in the Gardai have awarded the contract to fill up the cars of their fleet to this expensive company. If there are cheaper options for petrol/diesel then one would have to wonder why, oh why, would the Gardai land the taxpayer with a higher than necessary bill......... :cool:
    Exactly. Although I suspect that you didn't intend to make this point but this is the reason why it should not be done.

Someone in the Guards makes the decision to give the substantial fuel-buying business of the Gardai to the company and in return the Guards get free stuff.

I'm sure people see the problem with this? Say some other company offers to supply all fuel to the Guards, at the taxpayer expense, of 1.50 a litre whereas Topaz offers it for 1.75 a litre...but they will give free fuel/snacks to any member of the Gardai.

If the contract is worth such a lot of money to Topaz that they can afford to give away such freebies then it is obvious that they make a lot profit from the deal. I think that instead, a less profitable deal for them, and more a more economical one for the taxpayer, should be struck

In neither of them do I state that a local Guard could have the power to decide whether or not Topaz get the contract to supply the fleet. "Templemore logic" at it's best :pac:

Your suggestion is quite clear. Either your point behind those posts is ridiculous or irrelevant. Your choice.

Like I said, it's a simple marketing decision to attract customers who might purchase their breakfast, lunch or dinner there while getting their dose of caffeine. That's why most garages do it and not just the ones who supply fuel. Some businesses do it because it makes them feel safer but at the end of the day they get treated the same. The only extra service they get is the time it takes the Garda to make his purchases.

By the way, neither your personal jibes, feigned innocence nor your use of smileys make your posts seem more intelligent. Just makes them seem childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

And it is the business owners job to look after their customers. The post you were replying to mentioned giving a group of regular customer guards free food at christmas. What's the problem? Have you never accepted freebies at Christmas from the businesses you regularly give your custom to? I certainly have.

It has been mentioned many many many times that it is not just the Gardai...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Jezus Chroist .......it does'nt suprise me that people think its ok for this policeman to accept what is basically a "thinly veiled" bribe...... Don't let a sense of decency, moral standards, the law or plain common sense get in the way of the Boards "anti garda bashing thread" support wagon.

All aboard, next stop: "Fingers in the till" apologism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Even I think this is a hullaballo over nothing. Most cops aren't too bad so let them have their freebies, A few free cups of coffee, some biccies and it keeps them happy, Its better than having them bribe you like in some countries.

The only drawback to their presence at petrol stations is the awkwardness of ordering Rizla papers when one of them is nosing around the counter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with emergency services getting free coffee but taxi drivers can fcuk off.

and it is for the exact same attitudes as your own there, that taxi-men get their free coffee. They too have to deal with numbskulls out of their brain on drink and drugs.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Jezus Chroist .......it does'nt suprise me that people think its ok for this policeman to accept what is basically a "thinly veiled" bribe...... Don't let a sense of decency, moral standards, the law or plain common sense get in the way of the Boards "anti garda bashing thread" support wagon.

All aboard, next stop: "Fingers in the till" apologism.

Stop talking s**te.

I would go so far as to say anybody with a problem with gardai getting a free coffee should be shot in the foot for being an insufferable clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gandr

ive been out socially with Gardi,we used to go to nightclubs for free,hotel concerts,cut price takeaways,free drinks in most local pubs.im over 6ft tall,thse people thought i was a Gardi also and i got the same perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It is not Garda bashing to point out that publicly accepting freebies is a form of corruption - relatively minor, but so is a teeny-weeny pregnancy - and could undermine public confidence in and respect for the Gardai.:cool:

Secondly, the other occupational groups that you mention do not exercise public power in the same was as police; for example, they do not have the power of arrest.

I see no problem with a company having a policy of giving its goods and services free of charge or at a discounted rate to all members of certain occupational groups, but then they should have a sign on their premises announcing this.:)

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    It is not Garda bashing to point out that publicly accepting freebies is a form of corruption - relatively minor, but so is a teeny-weeny pregnancy - and could undermine public confidence in and respect for the Gardai.:cool:

Secondly, the other occupational groups that you mention do not exercise public power in the same was as police; for example, they do not have the power of arrest.

I see no problem with a company having a policy of giving its goods and services free of charge or at a discounted rate to all members of certain occupational groups, but then they should have a sign on their premises announcing this.:)

Are your first and third paragraphs not completely contradicting each other?

What would the point of a sign be? What difference does that make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Are your first and third paragraphs not completely contradicting each other?

What would the point of a sign be? What difference does that make?

No, here is no contradiction, because it is a matter of a benefit being offered to all members of an occupational group, and subject to certain limits and conditions, and, on the other hand, to some individuals for individual motives.

The point of a sign would be something that was called гла́сность,meaning openness or transparency. If a company has a certain policy, they should let the public, especially their customers, know of its existence.

My own work in the sector of oversight of legality gave me some familiarity with this difficult question in Finland.

Here is part of an article on the subject (underlining mine):
    Poliisihallitus on saanut valmiiksi selvityksensä poliisille tarjottavista etuuksista. Poliisiylijohtaja Mikko Paateron mukaan rajanveto sallitun ja kielletyn edun välillä on hankalaa.

The National Police Board has completed a survey of benefits offered to police officers. Police Commissioner Mikko Paatero says that drawing a line between what is allowed and what is forbidden is difficult.

– Etuuksia koskevat valinnat tekee viime kädessä jokainen virkamies itse. Poliisihallitus suosittelee kuitenkin etuuksissa pidättyväistä linjaa. Harkinnassa tulee ottaa huomioon edun tavanomaisuus ja edun tarjoajan tavoitteet, Paatero muotoilee.
    - "Choices concerning benefits are made, in the final analysis, by each officer him- or herself. However, the National Police Board recommends a policy of restraint. How usual the benefit is and the goals of those who offer it must be taken into consideration when making the choice," Paatero says.

Paateron mukaan Poliisihallitus ei hyväksy esimerkiksi sitä, että virkapukuinen poliisimies saa 50 prosentin alennuksen ateriasta.

Paatero adds that the National Police Board does not accept, e.g. that a uniformed police officer receives a 50% discount on a meal.
    That is the policy in a country that is often at or close to the head of the Transparency International table of least-corrupt countries.
    And that is what we in Ireland should be aiming for. I know it's a huge challenge, but we have to start somewhere. And why not with the custodians of the law by which all of us have to abide?:)

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    No, here is no contradiction, because it is a matter of a benefit being offered to all members of an occupational group, and subject to certain limits and conditions, and, on the other hand, to some individuals for individual motives.

The point of a sign would be something that was called гла́сность,meaning openness or transparency. If a company has a certain policy, they should let the public, especially their customers, know of its existence.

My own work in the sector of oversight of legality gave me some familiarity with this difficult question in Finland.

Here is part of an article on the subject (underlining mine):

That is the policy in a country that is often at or close to the hed of the Transparency International table of least-corrupt countries.
    And that is what we in Ireland should be aiming for. I know it's a huge challenge, but we have to start somewhere. And why not with the custodians of the law by which all of us have to abide?:)

Sorry I see what you mean now - you have no problem with them offering but it shouldn't be accepted.

I can appreciate your point, particularly with the way you present it there.

I just don't think that accepting a cupán tae will lead to the corruption of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

We fill our ambulances at a local garage. I see the petrol station workers very often, and we have become friends with all of them. (In fact, they are almost like colleagues). Some of those people give us a free coffee (and sometimes, out of date buns).
    There is no conflict of interest, there is no bribes, there is nothing wrong with that. We also spend lots of our own money on sandwiches, newspapers etc.
    Leave the guards alone, they aren't doing anything wrong...
    ... what would Ireland be without the begrudging whingers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

My grandmother always had soup and sandwiches for the Gardai when they dropped into her pub.
    No charge and they could always get a cup of tea,probably why she never had a bit if bother in her establishment as they all liked her and didn't abuse this facility.
    We actually need more of this,mire guards on the beat who know the proprietors and it will lead to the scumbags feeling less comfortable on our streets.

• Advertisement

paraletic wrote: »
    We fill our ambulances at a local garage. I see the petrol station workers very often, and we have become friends with all of them. (In fact, they are almost like colleagues). Some of those people give us a free coffee (and sometimes, out of date buns).
    There is no conflict of interest, there is no bribes, there is nothing wrong with that. We also spend lots of our own money on sandwiches, newspapers etc.
    Leave the guards alone, they aren't doing anything wrong...
    ... what would Ireland be without the begrudging whingers?

Are the ambulance callouts prioritised on the deliciousness levels of the buns then or what?

Ya know, like the guards will let off petrol station workers with the odd murder. Would you be going to issue lemsip to Mary in Topaz when you should be saving lives from the pile up down the road?

The funny thing is judging by some of the posts here people appear to think this is an Irish thing. Police forces and other front line emergency workers get little perks like this all over the world and no body cares but then again Irish begrudgery is on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Most companies give their employees free coffee. I've got no problem with Gards who are out all day doing a dangerous job getting a free coffee in a petrol station. It isn't a big deal. If it was free beer, I'd be more incensed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ...and yes, it's the establishments choice to award food and/or drinks to a member of the Gardai but my question is, should a member of the Gardai accept such like?

I was in a very busy Topaz filling station where I always see lots of member of the force having their "break" the other day. There was a long Queue waiting to pay for stuff at the tills, which I was in. I know the girl at one of the tills and I noted a discreet exchange between her and a Garda who just got a coffee and some sort of snack.....she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks" .......lots of people noted the Freebie, and lots of eye's rolled to heaven....

Personally I think he should insist on paying for it.....it look like a "Stroke" Freebie to me......

what do you think?

So bloody what if they get the odd free cup of coffee, they have a **** job to do made harder by the number of begrudging miserable sods like yourself who are always on the lookout for some reason to criticise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Are the ambulance callouts prioritised on the deliciousness levels of the buns then or what?

Ya know, like the guards will let off petrol station workers with the odd murder. Would you be going to issue lemsip to Mary in Topaz when you should be saving lives from the pile up down the road?

That's how ambulance control centres work. I assume the gaurds have the same system. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I worked in a place where guards got a 30% discount but so did taxi drivers and truck drivers, the idea was to keep them coming back for business, i dont see a problem with it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I always look for free coffee no matter what kind of business premises I enter, sometimes it's offered, sometimes it's made no problem, sometimes they say they have no kettle (as Currys once did).

Likewise anyone who comes here is offered a cuppa, it's courtesy, nothing more, nothing less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

davet82 wrote: »
    I worked in a place where guards got a 30% discount but so did taxi drivers and truck drivers, the idea was to keep them coming back for business, i dont see a problem with it really.

In this case there may be a tax consideration if an occupational group is given such discounts; these may be treated by Revenue as benefit-in-kind for taxation purposes, like the van-driver who takes his commercial vehicle home at night, or Guards using State vehicles to facilitate shift changes or taking them home for meal-breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

mathepac wrote: »
    In this case there may be a tax consideration if an occupational group is given such discounts; these may be treated by Revenue as benefit-in-kind for taxation purposes, like the van-driver who takes his commercial vehicle home at night, or Guards using State vehicles to facilitate shift changes or taking them home for meal-breaks.

i think the revenue have better things to be worried about than some taxi driver getting 30% off the price of a burger, well at least they should be! :)

• Advertisement

So there is no bother then with giving politicians, judges, develops and county Councillors free stuff either and if there is you're a begrudger

am I getting the hang of this now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement