Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mathepac wrote: »
    In this case there may be a tax consideration if an occupational group is given such discounts; these may be treated by Revenue as benefit-in-kind for taxation purposes, like the van-driver who takes his commercial vehicle home at night, or Guards using State vehicles to facilitate shift changes or taking them home for meal-breaks.

what about insurance companies offering preferential rates to union members such as TUI, Enginers Ireland etc etc

What about the water cooler in your office, should that be treated for BIK?
    Where does this begrudergy/pedantry end :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Boombastic wrote: »
    So there is no bother then with giving politicians, judges, develops and county Councillors free stuff either and if there is you're a begrudger

am I getting the hang of this now?

if you own a coffee shop near a courthouse then why not throw in a free cup of coffee for a judge when he is in buying a sandwhich lets say, the other judges will buy their sandwhich there too and everyone is happy

i'm not talking about giving the free TVs but if you are trying to drum up business then why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

davet82 wrote: »
    if you own a coffee shop near a courthouse then why not throw in a free cup of coffee for a judge when he is in buying a sandwhich lets say, the other judges will buy their sandwhich there too and everyone is happy

i'm not talking about giving the free TVs but if you are trying to drum up business then why not

What if the man in the TV shop shop is trying to drum up business?

kceire wrote: »
    what about insurance companies offering preferential rates to union members such as TUI, Enginers Ireland etc etc

What about the water cooler in your office, should that be treated for BIK?
    Where does this begrudergy/pedantry end :confused:

thats a good point i know certain brokers than give public sector unions discounts on various types of insurance, its good business sense the same why a free coffee for a guy who is constantly buying stuff in your shop would make him feel valued and return to spend more of his money

What if the man in the TV shop shop is trying to drum up business?

10% discount lets say, he'd probably give the discount anyways if you haggled but if you let people think they are getting a bargin then he spreads the word to colleges or comes back to buy a dvd player

i understand you are trying to say where do we draw the line but i think common sense can be applied to a free cup of coffee as oppossed to getting a free tv :)

• Advertisement

10% discount lets say, he'd probably give the discount anyways if you haggled but if you let people think they are getting a bargin then he spreads the word to colleges or comes back to buy a dvd player

i understand you are trying to say where do we draw the line but i think common sense can be applied to a free cup of coffee as oppossed to getting a free tv :)

I don't see the difference, they should either be allowed to accept all gifts or none at all

In this case there may be a tax consideration if an occupational group is given such discounts; these may be treated by Revenue as benefit-in-kind for taxation purposes, like the van-driver who takes his commercial vehicle home at night, or Guards using State vehicles to facilitate shift changes or taking them home for meal-breaks.

Your posts are like sticking pins in my eyes.

Discounts are an everyday thing, next you will be saying students should be doing a tax return for student discounts. Saying there should be some sort tax consideration for places giving discounts is absolute wankology.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Just wondering Boombastic do you have any problem with other emergency services receiving the same treatment from shops as the Gardaí?

I don't see the difference, they should either be allowed to accept all gifts or none at all

i think a token, like a free cup of coffee, can be applied to regular customers no matter what job they do

i think a cup of coffee being classed as a gift is silly although i do see the point you are making

Just wondering Boombastic do you have any problem with other emergency services receiving the same treatment from shops as the Gardaí?

I have an issue with anyone in a position of authority accepting gifts which may affect impartiality. Garda, teachers, developers, judges, county councillors but as this thread is about gardai.....

@ Dave -what figure (cost of the item) should be the cut off point?

Teacher who are (will be) assessing the work of their students instead of the junior cert - will it be ok for them to accept gifts from the childs parents?

• Advertisement

and you honestly think a cup of coffee will make a Garda impartial?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

i think the revenue have better things to be worried about than some taxi driver getting 30% off the price of a burger, well at least they should be! :)
    Strangely enough they don't. I worked in a place (manufacturing facility, 24 x 6 operation) that the Revenue pounced on and wanted to levy BIK on the company subsidised canteen. They wanted to reduce every employee's tax credits by the taxable difference between the actual costs of the meals and the prices we paid in the canteen.

It's not just 1 cup of coffee is it though? If the garda was to pay in full for the coffee it would be worth about €600/year to them

How about TV's jewelery, a bit of land, a house? - should the garda accept these because they are offered?

It's also about public perception

If it were just cups of coffee and stopped there, maybe not, but as I have pointed out from personal first-hand experience it doesn't.

The cops will soon be doing the cap-in-hand rounds of hotels bars and restaurants for their Christmas parties (often held in the Garda stations). They don't buy drink or food for these.

I shared a house with Guards once upon a time and the place would be packed to the rafters come Christmas-time with free booze and food for the station party and personal gifts.

com'on a cup of coffee is a pretty shít 'gift' :pac:

i think common sense should be applied to any complaint made.

Strangely enough they don't. I worked in a place (manufacturing facility, 24 x 6 operation) that the Revenue pounced on and wanted to levy BIK on the company subsidised canteen. They wanted to reduce every employee's tax credits by the taxable difference between the actual costs of the meals and the prices we paid in the canteen.

i think thats ridiculous when they have bigger fish to fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ...and yes, it's the establishments choice to award food and/or drinks to a member of the Gardai but my question is, should a member of the Gardai accept such like?

I was in a very busy Topaz filling station where I always see lots of member of the force having their "break" the other day. There was a long Queue waiting to pay for stuff at the tills, which I was in. I know the girl at one of the tills and I noted a discreet exchange between her and a Garda who just got a coffee and some sort of snack.....she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks" .......lots of people noted the Freebie, and lots of eye's rolled to heaven....

Personally I think he should insist on paying for it.....it look like a "Stroke" Freebie to me......

what do you think?

You're more than likely a coward. Sitting behind your computer bitching about people who put themselves in harms way for ****e pay

I hate people like you

It's not just 1 cup of coffee is it though? If the garda was to pay in full for the coffee it would be worth about €600/year to them

How about TV's jewelery, a bit of land, a house? - should the garda accept these because they are offered?

It's also about public perception

As you said yourself, this thread is about Gardaí receiving free food and coffee. i very much doubt that the majority of the public would perceive a Garda who may get a cheap cup of coffee as being in the same league as a Garda receiving a bit of land or a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

If I had a late night shop/garage I'd offer free tea to gardai and taxi drivers. Handy to have a few sober people who know the staff knocking about the place at 3am if some pissheads start trying to cause hassle.

Companies like to be seen to support police/fire/ambulance in all countries, its good for public image.
    The WWE give free tickets to members of the armed forces in the US. By some peoples logic in this thread this amounts to a backhander to stop them invading the royal rumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

We always give Gardai cofee/tea at a special price. Two main reasons for this...

We know the amount of sh*t they have to put up with and its simply a thank you....you know, we appreciate what ye do!!

Its a handy deterent to scumbags to see Guarda cars in and out of the place, the coffee costs nothing basically to make, better for us to give the special price than to loose out on stolen stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

garda, taxi-drivers, emergency staff - they all get freebies in supermarkets - they always get free coffee in various supermarkets and take-aways. its because they are out doing a job that they get no thanks for, just abuse.

Why not give them free coffees.

Did you not know that taxi-drivers/emergency staff get them also, or did you just want to highlight gardai getting them.

Ignoring the debate on the rights and wrongs of Gardai and emergency services staff getting free coffee and snacks, why would Taxi drivers get free stuff?

i think thats ridiculous when they have bigger fish to fry
    Well write to the Revenue about it then. Meanwhile, the salesmen attached to that company were filling the gluttons in Revenue, Finance, Health etc with free food and drink, days at golf, days at the races, week-ends at the rugby, etc as part of their "relationship management" obligations.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    You're more than likely a coward. Sitting behind your computer bitching about people ...

I hate people like you
    Yeah, when the cap fits bud, you wear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

MLC61 wrote: »
    Ignoring the debate on the rights and wrongs of Gardai and emergency services staff getting free coffee and snacks, why would Taxi drivers get free stuff?

In a petrol station I'd imagine it is for the same reason. They are regular customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

com'on a cup of coffee is a pretty shít 'gift' :pac:

i think common sense should be applied to any complaint made.

As a garda, so how would free coffee and snacks for life @ €2.50 a pop, be a sh1t gift??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

MidlandsM wrote: »
    As a garda, so how would free coffee and snacks for life @ €2.50 a pop, be a sh1t gift??

The Garda in line in front of you told you he gets free coffee and snacks at 2.50 a go for life?

Well write to the Revenue about it then. Meanwhile, the salesmen attached to that company were filling the gluttons in Revenue, Finance, Health etc with free food and drink, days at golf, days at the races, week-ends at the rugby, etc as part of their "relationship management" obligations.

i think its you who needed to write the letter :rolleyes:

1 cup of coffee might be seen as a sh1t gift, but over time it all adds up, along with all the other perks, free in to night clubs

The court heard that a group of up to 15 gardai from Dublin arrived in Galway for a Christmas party and were given free admission to the club.

These are just the gifts that are made public. All those justify why they give gives to the Gardai because they feel safer etc. this flies completely in the face of the code of ethics which the Gardai subscribe to.

1 cup of coffee might be seen as a sh1t gift, but over time it all adds up, along with all the other perks, free in to night clubs

The court heard that a group of up to 15 gardai from Dublin arrived in Galway for a Christmas party and were given free admission to the club.

These are just the gifts that are made public. All those justify why they give gives to the Gardai because they feel safer etc. this flies completely in the face of the code of ethics which the Gardai subscribe to.

Can you not see how mean and petty it is to complain about one garda getting a free cup of coffee which he tried to pay for? If I so wished, I could complain about the tax breaks private companies get, and as such the bonuses, perks and nights out enjoyed by people working for those companies.

But I don't because I understand (like most of the people in this thread) that a few simple perks keep the machine running, and it's all a definitive part of social grace too.

• Advertisement

Feeona wrote: »
    Can you not see how mean and petty it is to complain about one garda getting a free cup of coffee which he tried to pay for? If I so wished, I could complain about the tax breaks private companies get, and as such the bonuses, perks and nights out enjoyed by people working for those companies.

But I don't because I understand (like most of the people in this thread) that a few simple perks keep the machine running, and it's all a definitive part of social grace too.
    It's not about 1 Garda getting 1 free cup of coffee:rolleyes:

Why do they need perks to keep the machine running? It is their job

It's not about 1 Garda getting 1 free cup of coffee:rolleyes:

Why do they need perks to keep the machine running? It is their job

This thread was started because a garda got a free cup of coffee. Why do private company employees need perks to do their jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Anybody who thinks it's ok for gardaí to receive free stuff, and it seems to be the majority of people here, has no right to complain about any other standards in public life, from Bertie getting a digout down to dossers in the public service hiding behind their unions.
    At least this thread has helped me understand a bit more about why the country is so fúcked-I honestly would have expected a bit more intelligence and moral sense from a younger demographic. Another 90 years of shíte it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Still throwing out strawman arguments to hide the fact your original point is ridiculous I see. If its not a strawman you use it's a fabrication, just like mathepac.

How about you get specific? Exactly how is it a breach of ethics to accept a free cup of tea? What danger does it pose to the integrity of the organisation?

latenia wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks it's ok for gardaí to receive free stuff, and it seems to be the majority of people here, has no right to complain about any other standards in public life, from Bertie getting a digout down to dossers in the public service hiding behind their unions.
    At least this thread has helped me understand a bit more about why the country is so fúcked-I honestly would have expected a bit more intelligence and moral sense from a younger demographic. Another 90 years of shíte it is so.

all because of a free cup of coffee :confused:

OTT

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

this flies completely in the face of the code of ethics which the Gardai subscribe to.
    No it doesn't.

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    Still throwing out strawman arguments to hide the fact your original point is ridiculous I see. If its not a strawman you use it's a fabrication, just like mathepac.

How about you get specific? Exactly how is it a breach of ethics to accept a free cup of tea? What danger does it pose to the integrity of the organisation?

How is what I am saying fabrication? please explain and then I will explain to you yet again about the code of ethics

How is what I am saying fabrication? please explain and then I will explain to you yet again about the code of ethics

Your calculations are made up. I've explained already how they were wrong yet you keep throwing out random figures.

Your calculations are made up. I've explained already how they were wrong yet you keep throwing out random figures.

You were the one who said a few cups per shift and I was going on your figures - which by the way were also made up...duh

can you provide me with actual links to figures? or will I need to give you a little sweetner for doing that?

can you provide me with actual links to figures? or will I need to give you a little sweetner for doing that?

You think it's wrong for a garda to accept a cup of coffee, or in your words 'a bribe' and now you're offering a bribe to someone else.

It seems to be one law for you and another law for everyone else.

Or maybe you're just being facetious and/or are trying to imply that the poster you're responding to is crooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

I have an issue with anyone in a position of authority accepting gifts which may affect impartiality. Garda, teachers, developers, judges, county councillors but as this thread is about gardai.....

Teacher who are (will be) assessing the work of their students instead of the junior cert - will it be ok for them to accept gifts from the childs parents?

Come on???

My children give their teachers a gift at Christmas. (in primary school). Is that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I like my coffee the way I like my guards - cold, bitter and with enough whiskey in to give me a good kick.

I like my coffee the way I like my guards - cold, bitter and with enough whiskey in to give me a good kick.

I like MY coffee hot and strong, with two lumps

You were the one who said a few cups per shift and I was going on your figures - which by the way were also made up...duh

That's not what I said. Just another one of your fabrications. An absence of official stats on tea drinking doesn't mean you can just make up random **** and present it as fact.

paraletic wrote: »
    Come on???

My children give their teachers a gift at Christmas. (in primary school). Is that wrong?

When your child is doing the new assessment that is brought in instead of the junior cert. Her teacher will be assessing her work. Do you think it would be appropriate for her teacher to accept gifts from the students?
    That's not what I said. Just another one of your fabrications. An absence of official stats on tea drinking doesn't mean you can just make up random **** and present it as fact.

fact is they get free coffee
    fact is they get free in to night clubs
    fact is that business give them these perks as they like to have a few garda hanging around the place as it makes them feel safer

Would you accept a new TV?
    Is it ok for politicians and others in positions of power and authority to accept free gifts?
    What is the cut off point where a gift should not be accepted?

I have provided links to back up my claims about people getting favours and special treatment from the Gardai

If they want to be seen as a professional force, they need to act like one

When your child is doing the new assessment that is brought in instead of the junior cert. Her teacher will be assessing her work. Do you think it would be appropriate for her teacher to accept gifts from the students?

Yes, its a nice gesture to give a teacher a present at christmas or the end of the year, my parents always sent in something for the teacher when I was in national school. I see no problem at all with it.
    fact is that business give them these perks as they like to have a few garda hanging around the place as it makes them feel safer

The place I work give a lot of business to a bar, leaving parties etc. They give me a free pint from time to time, an odd free lunch and I always get free into the nightclub run by the same owners. Crimes punishable by hanging in your rule book :rolleyes:.

Also if someone offered my a free tv, of course I'd take it. You'd be a fool not to.

Come on???

Is it ok for politicians and others in positions of power and authority to accept free gifts?
    What is the cut off point where a gift should not be accepted?

I have provided links to back up my claims about people getting favours and special treatment from the Gardai

If they want to be seen as a professional force, they need to act like one

Of course it's alllways fine for a child to give a gift to their teacher!

A cup of tea is not a bribe, discounts or gratuities on night clubs is not a bribe,
    These aren't kick backs.
    A free TV is a big Gift. Who received or gives a gift of that size? That is wrong.
    But if you think a cup of tea and a tv are the same thing, you need a reality check.

Or are you the one who is easily corrupted?

Lots of groups receive discounts and gratuities. Not just gaurds and other public servants. I was an engineer in a past career and I received discounted insurance rates with membership of my professional body. Does that mean I acted unprofessionally?

Yes, its a nice gesture to give a teacher a present at christmas or the end of the year, my parents always sent in something for the teacher when I was in national school. I see no problem at all with it.

Oh well if mammy always done it, it's not as if people of her generation have brought this country to it's knees with the backhanders :rolleyes:

The place I work give a lot of business to a bar, leaving parties etc. They give me a free pint from time to time, an odd free lunch and I always get free into the nightclub run by the same owners. Crimes punishable by hanging in your rule book :rolleyes:.

Also if someone offered my a free tv, of course I'd take it. You'd be a fool not to.

Are you in a position of authority, where decisions you make can affect people for the rest of their lives?

Even if the teacher is assessing and grading their work instead of formal exams?

A free TV is a big Gift. Who received or gives a gift of that size? That is wrong.

Why is it wrong, where is the line?

Even if the teacher is assessing and grading their work instead of formal exams?

Why is it wrong, where is the line?

Yes. It's fine to give teachers a box of chocolates at Christmas. (although I can't see a normal teenager doing it).

And there is a massive line between a cup of coffee or tea (dirty water that will go cold if not drank) and a tv.
    Halifax used to give people free tea, coffee and hot chocolate in their branches. If I wanted a tv from Halifax I had to pay back the money with interest.

Stop pretending that you don't see the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Exactly how is it a breach of ethics to accept a free cup of tea? What danger does it pose to the integrity of the organisation?

It's not about a free cup of tea and to suggest so is being overtly simplistic. Some posters have given first hand accounts of the surprise shown by certain Gardaí when expected to pay for their food and that attitude is simply not acceptable.

I have no problem with an unassuming member of the Gardaí graciously accepting the odd cup of tea or coffee but there will always be those who go too far. Entering a takeaway and arrogantly expecting the large amounts of food you order to be free is an inherent abuse of authority and not something any Garda should do

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement