Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Comments

Boombastic wrote: »
    Oh well if mammy always done it, it's not as if people of her generation have brought this country to it's knees with the backhanders :rolleyes:

Backhanders are just a scapegoat, backhanders no matter how big have had little or nothing to do with the decline of the economy, I also think that saying the country is on its knees is a big exaggeration.

Personally I have no problem with perks like free things etc, almost everybody in the country benefits from some perks in their job. Be it free tea, free match tickets, discounts etc. I certainly take anything thats given to me as we get little enough for free in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Exactly how is it a breach of ethics to accept a free cup of tea? What danger does it pose to the integrity of the organisation?

It's not about a free cup of tea and to suggest so is being overtly simplistic. Some posters have given first hand accounts of the surprise shown by certain Gardaí when expected to pay for their food and that attitude is simply not acceptable.

I have no problem with an unassuming member of the Gardaí graciously accepting the odd cup of tea or coffee but there will always be those who go too far. Entering a takeaway and arrogantly expecting the large amounts of food you order to be free is an inherent abuse of authority and not something any Garda should do

I agree. Nobody should assume that they are entitled to preferential treatment. None of us are any more superior to any other member of society.

I would question how believable any "first hand account" given on the Internet is though. Especially on After Hours. :)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh well if mammy always done it, it's not as if people of her generation have brought this country to it's knees with the backhanders :rolleyes:

You should give it up now. You're only making it worse for yourself.

So now we have pupils giving teachers small gifts being equated to bringing the country to it's knees. As if this thread wasn't already ridiculous enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

paraletic wrote: »
    I would question how believable any "first hand account" given on the Internet is though. Especially on After Hours. :)

Very true and I'd be sceptical too if I hadn't seen precisely the same thing happening all the time in a certain city in the south of the country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Backhanders are just a scapegoat, backhanders no matter how big have had little or nothing to do with the decline of the economy, I also think that saying the country is on its knees is a big exaggeration.

:pac::pac: Did your mammy tell you that?
    awec wrote: »
    You should give it up now. You're only making it worse for yourself.

So now we have pupils giving teachers small gifts being equated to bringing the country to it's knees. As if this thread wasn't already ridiculous enough.

So you don't see a conflict of interests? Students being formally assessed by their teacher instead of the junior cert (which is being brought in) receiving presents from the student/parents. Can you not see how this is open to abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

So you don't see a conflict of interests? Students being formally assessed by their teacher instead of the junior cert (which is being brought in) receiving presents from the student/parents. Can you not see how this is open to abuse?

its a box of maltesers ffs!! :pac:

No, I am well able to assess things myself, a trait you obviously have no grasp of with the wankology you've been subjecting us to in this thread over the last day or so.

I hear that a box of maltesers gets you an extra 2 marks, whereas just a bag will only get you 1 mark.

I said it before, but: are you the one who is easily corruptible?
    Would you be corrupted for a box of chocolates? Or a cup of tea?
    I call bullsh!t on you. :)

Next time I'm at work I'm going to make sure I get a free cup of tea from the garage. If I don't get it they can call 999 as often as they like - I'm not helping them!!!

Now where are the rolleyes smileys on this computer????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's not about 1 Garda getting 1 free cup of coffee:rolleyes:

Why do they need perks to keep the machine running? It is their job

What a completely stupid post.
    People in many factories, offices etc receive Christmas Boxes, free Christmas dinners, staff perks etc.
    If a garda would stand outside where i worked we would have given him a free 4 course dinner. It's good to see them around and people appreciate their presence and the fact that incidents are unlikely to happen when they are around.
    I know a pub who give their bouncers a pint after the pub closes. You'd probably want him sacked. get a life FFS.
    Is your name Scrooge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

When your child is doing the new assessment that is brought in instead of the junior cert. Her teacher will be assessing her work. Do you think it would be appropriate for her teacher to accept gifts from the students?

fact is they get free coffee
    fact is they get free in to night clubs
    fact is that business give them these perks as they like to have a few garda hanging around the place as it makes them feel safer

Would you accept a new TV?
    Is it ok for politicians and others in positions of power and authority to accept free gifts?
    What is the cut off point where a gift should not be accepted?

I have provided links to back up my claims about people getting favours and special treatment from the Gardai

If they want to be seen as a professional force, they need to act like one

You have yet to provide a single link to show a Garda providing preferential treatment to a person who gave them free tea.

You appear to be unable to see the difference between a gift and a favour. A gift is given with no strings. A favour is done with the expectation of return. Providing tea provides no benefits for the business other then the two I stated, extra custom and a feeling of safety, neither of which could be considered a gift or a favour.
    It's not about a free cup of tea and to suggest so is being overtly simplistic. Some posters have given first hand accounts of the surprise shown by certain Gardaí when expected to pay for their food and that attitude is simply not acceptable.

I have no problem with an unassuming member of the Gardaí graciously accepting the odd cup of tea or coffee but there will always be those who go too far. Entering a takeaway and arrogantly expecting the large amounts of food you order to be free is an inherent abuse of authority and not something any Garda should do

Actually this thread is about tea and coffee. I agree that a Garda shouldn't expect something for free. I doubt very much there is a chipper out there that would give large amounts of food for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

paraletic wrote: »
    Come on???

My children give their teachers a gift at Christmas. (in primary school). Is that wrong?
    In my view, completely and utterly wrong and it says a lot about grasping, mean-spirited teachers that accept gifts from children. Something like a seasonal card or a thank you card, fine, maybe even a Mass Bouquet (depending on beliefs, denominations etc), but other than that, no way. Measured on a per hour basis, teachers are amongst the highest paid people in the country; if anything they should buy cards for their students.

davet82 wrote: »

Parent A brings a box of maltesers
    Parent B brings a bigger, more expensive box of chocolate
    Parent c Brings a more expensive gift
    Parent D out does the Jones' and brings a bigger more expensive give
    Parent E, knows their child may fail and that the teacher has direct responsibility for marking so gives a more expensive gift......................

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go down to the local town planner to give them a gift for rezoning my land all the good work they do:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

mathepac wrote: »
    if anything they should buy cards for their students.

I don't think that's appropriate. What if the students think it's a bribe to be kind in their WSE appraisals?

I doubt very much there is a chipper out there that would give large amounts of food for free.

Just because you doubt something doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it can and does. Gardaí badge-flashing to gain free entry into niteclubs is almost a given in this country and to pretend otherwise is just disingenuous

• Advertisement

Parent E, knows their child may fail and that the teacher has direct responsibility for marking so gives a more expensive gift......................

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go down to the local town planner to give them a gift for rezoning my land all the good work they do:)

If you're passing the doctors call in for a free check-up.

Just because you doubt something doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it can and does. Gardaí badge-flashing to gain free entry into niteclubs is almost a given in this country and to pretend otherwise is just disingenuous

This whole thread was started because a garda got a free cup of coffee. I think comparing that to wholesale backhander activity is disingenuous too as do a lot of people in this thread, but that doesn't seem to matter.

In your first year in college did you not have Banks giving out freebies, pubs/niteclubs sending up free tickets etc etc. Do you refuse to take the two for the price of one in Tesco or the 2e drinks in your local etc etc.
    Admit you have a chip on your shoulder. No forget it your posts have already convinced me.

Feeona wrote: »
    This whole thread was started because a garda got a free cup of coffee. I think comparing that to wholesale backhander activity is disingenuous too as do a lot of people in this thread, but that doesn't seem to matter.

If you wish to be pedantic then the thread clearly relates to free food and coffee received by Gardaí. Also, it's within the basic nature of discussion to develop as they progress, it's just a natural expansion of the original topic

In your first year in college did you not have Banks giving out freebies, pubs/niteclubs sending up free tickets etc etc. Do you refuse to take the two for the price of one in Tesco or the 2e drinks in your local etc etc.
    Admit you have a chip on your shoulder. No forget it your posts have already convinced me.

What are you actually talking about? There's a wealth of difference between a broke student receiving a once-off freebie at the start of a year and a remunerated Garda regularly receiving free food. Also, I couldn't care less what my posts have 'convinced' you of to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ...and yes, it's the establishments choice to award food and/or drinks to a member of the Gardai but my question is, should a member of the Gardai accept such like?

I was in a very busy Topaz filling station where I always see lots of member of the force having their "break" the other day. There was a long Queue waiting to pay for stuff at the tills, which I was in. I know the girl at one of the tills and I noted a discreet exchange between her and a Garda who just got a coffee and some sort of snack.....she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks" .......lots of people noted the Freebie, and lots of eye's rolled to heaven....

Personally I think he should insist on paying for it.....it look like a "Stroke" Freebie to me......

what do you think?

Maybe he's pumping her, pumping hard, and unleaded too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I don't think that's appropriate. What if the students think it's a bribe to be kind in their WSE appraisals?
    Ah yes, spoken like a true garda nurse postman teacher airline pilot

mathepac wrote: »
    Ah yes, spoken like a true garda nurse postman teacher airline pilot

So you think teachers should bribe their students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

This whole thread should have been finished over a hundred posts ago really.

Back to the original post...

The guard got a coffee, tried to pay for it and the sales assistant said no.

So do all the begrudgers....

a) Expect the gard to just leave the coffee that he/she wants?
    b) Take it for free?

Im going to say take it for free considering he/she even offered to pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

davet82 wrote: »

The posters were referring to primary school teachers... Who the fup brings presents in to a junior cert teacher.

If you wish to be pedantic then the thread clearly relates to free food and coffee received by Gardaí. Also, it's within the basic nature of discussion to develop as they progress, it's just a natural expansion of the original topic

I suppose working in a sector which is constantly subject to speculation and questioning about everything from the tax bill to a cup of coffee, I have to wonder where the line is drawn between being a 'slave to the people' and an actual real person.

Where do you work Sorcha? Are you subject to such speculation in your line of work?

What are you actually talking about? There's a wealth of difference between a broke student receiving a once-off freebie at the start of a year and a remunerated Garda regularly receiving free food. Also, I couldn't care less what my posts have 'convinced' you of to be honest

it's within the basic nature of discussion to develop as they progress, it's just a natural expansion of the original topic

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

timmywex wrote: »
    This whole thread should have been finished over a hundred posts ago really.

Back to the original post...

The guard got a coffee, tried to pay for it and the sales assistant said no.

a) Expect the gard to just leave the coffee that he/she wants?
    b) Take it for free?

You forgot option c) declare it on their Tax forms!! :rolleyes:

it's just a natural expansion of the original topic

No it's not, it's an entirely different discussion. Gardaí and students couldn't be more different if they tried

No it's not, it's an entirely different discussion. Gardaí and students couldn't be more different if they tried

Have you any free chips?

You appear to be unable to see the difference between a gift and a favour. A gift is given with no strings. A favour is done with the expectation of return. Providing tea provides no benefits for the business other then the two I stated, extra custom and a feeling of safety, neither of which could be considered a gift or a favour.
    If a garda would stand outside where i worked we would have given him a free 4 course dinner. It's good to see them around and people appreciate their presence and the fact that incidents are unlikely to happen when they are around.
    But I don't because I understand (like most of the people in this thread) that a few simple perks keep the machine running

On this page alone, plenty more on the previous pages, all justifying giving free stuff to gardai or else there wouldn't be a visible presence.....Gift or bribe?

If you're passing the doctors call in for a free check-up.

Is this another perk I don't know about? Anyone got the loan of a hat?:pac:
    do you think they do this for the good of their health or are there gains for the company?

• Advertisement

On this page alone, plenty more on the previous pages, all justifying giving free stuff to gardai or else there wouldn't be a visible presence.....Gift or bribe?

Hmmm, you quoted me, yet left out the bit where I said that taxpayers pay for the perks in private companies. Do you work for a private company, and if you do, do you accept these perks which are partially funded by the taxpayer?

Is this another perk I don't know about? Anyone got the loan of a hat?:pac:

They can't examine your head with a cap on and loaning a cap might be construed as a perk anyway.

do you think they do this for the good of their health or are there gains for the company?

I'd say it's win/win myself just like in the case of the free tea.

Hmmm, you quoted me, yet left out the bit where I said that taxpayers pay for the perks in private companies. Do you work for a private company, and if you do, do you accept these perks which are partially funded by the taxpayer?

Please explain this to me, I don't understand

Please explain this to me, I don't understand

Private companies in Ireland also get money from the government in the form of tax breaks. Do you accept the perks in the company you work in or do you turn them down?

Private companies in Ireland also get money from the government in the form of tax breaks. Do you accept the perks in the company you work in or do you turn them down?

:rolleyes: Read this post

So I take that to mean that you do accept perks in your job. Do you not think that because your company gets money from the government in the form of tax breaks that you should be answerable to the general public to any or all perks you get in line with your work?

So I take that to mean that you do accept perks in your job. Do you not think that because your company gets money from the government in the form of tax breaks that you should be answerable to the general public to any or all perks you get in line with your work?
    I have an issue with anyone in a position of authority accepting gifts which may affect impartiality. Garda, teachers, developers, judges, county councillors but as this thread is about gardai....

How do you deduct from that post I get perks, or even work for a company that gets tax breaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I have an issue with anyone in a position of authority accepting gifts which may affect impartiality. Garda, teachers, developers, judges, county councillors but as this thread is about gardai....

How do you deduct from that post I get perks, or even work for a company that gets tax breaks?

Why do you answer every question with a question

?

You avoided my question so I assumed. Am I wrong to assume?

• Advertisement

This thread has gotten painfully stupid!
    But I can't stop reading! I want to see how bad it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭eirekielthy

That's aload of crap it's like a bribe

I am willing to bet that this has NEVER happened. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Odysseus wrote: »
    You think that is acceptable/OK/funny? Why is it needless to say? I used to get my lunch is a few shops where they had accounts and they never engaged in behaviour like that.

Anyway I think this is a bit of a tall tale, or does that deli keep a selection of foodstuffs just out of date on display?

It was a hot counter. You know the sausages and stuff that are crisp hard because they have been there so long. Why would i make up a story so innocuous up like that. If i were making up a story i would have said the girl at the counter stuck the roll down her pants for a few seconds and then spat on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thread is on its last legs. That's the end of bringing in a box of chocolates to teachers at the end of the school year apparently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Gandr wrote: »
    ive been out socially with Gardi,we used to go to nightclubs for free,hotel concerts,cut price takeaways,free drinks in most local pubs.im over 6ft tall,thse people thought i was a Gardi also and i got the same perks.

And at the end of the day, who do you think pays for all the "free" perks / corruption?

• Advertisement

Japer wrote: »
    And at the end of the day, who do you think pays for all the "free" perks / corruption?
    Not you, so I wouldn't worry yourself.

timmywex wrote: »

The guard planner / local politician got a coffee / meal brown envelope

a) Expect the gard planner / politician to just leave the coffee brown envelope ( or week in the auld apartment in Portugal ) that he/she wants?
    b) Take it for free?

fixed that for you. If one worker gets perks so should another.

awec wrote: »
    Not you, so I wouldn't worry yourself.
    yes me, me and everyone else who does not get the free coffee / booze / meals / brown envelopes.

Japer wrote: »
    yes me, me and everyone else who does not get the free coffee / booze / meals / brown envelopes.
    Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why do cops in Ireland get free food anyway? Is it a fear thing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement