Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players ratings so far...

Options
  • 08-10-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Who are you happy with and who are you expecting to up there game....

Defenders.

Walker ... seems a bit cocky, get back to basics please.

Gallas ... Has been very good, but can see him playing sparingly once Younes comes back.

Caulker ... Very happy with him.. an animal in the air, and comfortable on the deck.

Vertonghen ... Again very impressed by him, keep up the good work.

Friedel ... Has made the saves hes expected to, carrying on from last year.

Lennon ... Has started well, needs consistency and goals..

Sandro ... one of my favs... love his attitude, passing a bit suspect though recently.

Dembele ... Hugely impressed with this fella, bit of a Zidane about him the way he moves with the ball.

Bale ... Has been playing well, but he set his own standards, so he should be playing better.

Siggurdsson ... Not overly impressed tbh, doesnt influence the game much.. hoping he improves.

Dempsey ... No preseason, so i'll be leniant with him, but a bad miss against Villa, has to kick start after the international break.

Defoe ... Good start to the season, greedy sh1t, but we know that.. would like to see him with Ade a bit more often though..

Lloris ... early doors but great on Fifa 13 !

AVB ... Really behind him, love his passion and would really like to see his now infamous air punching when we beat Chelsea !!

Hate International breaks....

Please no injuries!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Near enough fully agree.

Must Do better
    Sig, looks like he's gonna find it hard to nail down a regular starting spot. Needs a big performance to settle him down.
    Lennon, some things never change. One great run and cross, is followed by 3 poor ones.
    Walker, looks a bit casual, hopefully gets his head together and gets back to doing the basics well.

Well Done
    Gallas, consistent despite age.
    Caulker, wonderful prospect.
    Vert, tottenham legend in the makings, a proper footballer.
    Bale, dangerous as always, can't believe some on here are giving him stick.
    Dembele, very good, keep it going lad.
    Defoe, love him or hate him, he has started on fire, will need to keep it going to keep his spot.
    AVB, After a couple of poor results, we have picked up well in the last month, well done, and keep it going.

Team when all fit
    Lloris,Walker,Kaboul,Caulker,Vert,Sandro,Parker,Lennon,BaleDembele,Adebayor

Controversial a little, but sure we all have an opinion. Gallas will be used to help continue Caulkers development. Maybe BAE lf and vert with kaboul/caulker.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Must do better
    Dempsey - anonymous for most of the games he plays in. Is playing in an unfamiliar role and is being asked to replace VDV but doesn't have that sort of creativity. Needs to start scoring more goals and contributing more
    Sigurdsson - as with Dempsey, doesn't contribute enough. He tries hard, and outside of a couple of nice passes hasn't done enough to earn a starting place, which is disappointing as we all had high hopes
    Walker - I was fairly alone last year in being unhappy with Walker. Yes he won awards and was recognised as a great FB, but for me I almost always close my eyes as soon as he crosses the half way line. The same goes for defending crosses into the box - he's a definite weak link in the air. He's still got potential, but it's not surprising that he's not crossing the ball into the box much these days, instead running into the corner and laying it off for Lennon or someone else. I'm disappointed that this part of his game hasn't improved but he still has youth on his side
    Huddlestone - has been given plenty of game time but hasn't stamped his authority on any of the games. Needs to step up and prove that he's worth keeping or he'll be gone in January
    Dawson - after being nearly sold, has tried hard but although he is Spurs through and through, doesn't have the composure of the guys ahead of him. Momentary lapses in concentration are still there (unfortuantely costing a goal against the Greeks) and he's still trying those stupid long passes from defence which rarely ever work out

Getting Better/Room for Improvement
    Lennon - it's great to see him rampaging up the line again and attacking players, but he needs to be a bit greedy and shoot more often instead of laying the ball off. His pace is a real threat and he's getting himself into good positions, only to take the wrong option. Still, he seems confident and hopefully he'll keep improving and scoring more goals
    Bale - this might be controversial but I feel that he drifts in games too much. He's playing well and contributing a lot, but like in the first half against Villa (and I know he wasn't alone) nothing was coming off. It was as if he was trying too hard. I know he's being double-marked so it's difficult for him, and he is scoring goals so I can't complain too much, but I feel he could simplify things a bit more and perhaps be more effective

Very Good
    Sandro - I love watching him play. He makes some great tackles, like the one from RVP against Utd that was the start of Bales goal. He's got a great engine and can bring the ball forward, but is a little wayward in some of his passing. Deserves his starting place though we'll see what happens when Parker gets back
    Dembele - I'm very happy with this lad. Great with the ball, provides defensive capabilities as well as a goal threat. He just needs to get into more goal-scoring positions and offload the ball a little quicker at times rather than trying to beat the extra man. Still, he's a star in the making
    Defoe - Keep it up! As already mentioned, he's a greedy bastard but this isn't an issue as long as he's hitting the target. I'm not sure what'll happen when Ade gets back to full fitness
    Brad - I felt sorry for him being dropped for Lloris, but it was inevitable. He'll take it on the chin and will most likely play in the Europa League and perhaps the other cup games too, so won't be left out, but was playing very well for us up until he was dropped
    Gallas - keep it up! Caulker needs you, and it's great you being there as it means the Verts can play at left back. A consumate professional and well able for all but the most physical defenders
    Caulker - fair play to the lad. Between himself and Gallas they have a very good partnership and provide good balance. He's quick and can play the ball too, which is great. I wasn't sure how we'd do without Kaboul but he's stepped up without any problems

Excellent
    Vertonghen - what a player! Our buy of the season and my player of the season so far. Brilliant in defence, be that at CB or LB. Great on the wing and provides a goal threat too. Future club captain and if he is moved back to CB could be there for the next 10 years. Pure class and in my eyes the only player who has been exceptional in each game

Looking good though still early
    Lloris - very good start, with the odd brain fart. Commands his box well though has dropped a couple and needs to relax a little when distributing as we should have been a goal down against Villa on Sunday only for some poor finishing from 10 yards after he gave the ball away

AVB - I'm happy so far, though still concerned that the team hasn't really played 90 minutes of good football. That could be a harsh view as;
    • we're in 5th place, only outside the top 4 on goal difference
    • have matched Everton, who have had their best ever start to a season
    • beat Man Utd for the first time in 23 league matches
    • haven't really played very well yet we're still well up the table
    • have key players yet to return from injury/get up to fitness
    He has made some weird choices during the first part of the season, but to be fair he's usually quick to change them if they don't work out and it's unusual to be a fan who spots a problem only for the manager to change it in the same way as we would have changed it! He's still learning and I'm really hopeful that this is the start of a beautiful relationship with Spurs. What I'm genuinely looking forward to is the team clicking and actually putting in some real 90 minute performances, especially against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal! If Gylfi & Dempsey settle into the team and start contributing I can see good things ahead! :D

COYS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Two mentions required in my opinion:

Naughton - Two good performances against Reading and Lazio, looks very comfortable on the ball and no signs of the momentary lapse in concentration that BAE has grown accustomed to. Unfortunate to pick up an injury so early, however I can see him pushing BAE out of the team and SuperJan reverting to CB.

Townsend - Given no Premier game time under HR and whenever he played in the Europa he looked a bit of a headless chicken but a couple of appearances this season and a cracker of a goal in the Cup makes me think that AVB has more faith in him. He's looked very good coming on for Lennon and even in the last five minutes he got on Sunday made some great runs/passes. Definitely one for the future and could push Lennon for a place in the team.

Very encouraged by Caulkers comments "AVB has no favourites, if you are playing well and you are training well, you will be in the team" http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/oct/08/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-hotspur

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

potential to be a great thread..
    #justsaying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I can't argue with much of SuperSi's post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

potential to be a great thread..
    #justsaying

:D
    #deletethread

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Some good comments to be fair.

It will be interesting now that Ade is back fit, Defoe has started on fire and I cant see Ade being happy if hes not first choice, I can see him throwing his toys out of the pram unless he gets game time, so some tough decisions for AVB coming up.

Personally I cant see AVB starting Sandro and Parker, its one or the other for me with Dembele playing the deep midfielder role with Siggy/Dempsey in behind striker. I think a partnership of Ade up top with Dempsey in behind could be quality but we will have to see what AVB does!

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm very happy with the team so far Walker has been a bit dissapointing and responsible for a few goals but going forward we have actually been quiet good only two goals behind chelsea who have been "free scoring".

Sigurdsson and Dempsey are going to have a big part to play yet this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

SuprSi wrote: »
    Must do better
    Dempsey - anonymous for most of the games he plays in. Is playing in an unfamiliar role and is being asked to replace VDV but doesn't have that sort of creativity. Needs to start scoring more goals and contributing more
    Sigurdsson - as with Dempsey, doesn't contribute enough. He tries hard, and outside of a couple of nice passes hasn't done enough to earn a starting place, which is disappointing as we all had high hopes
    Walker - I was fairly alone last year in being unhappy with Walker. Yes he won awards and was recognised as a great FB, but for me I almost always close my eyes as soon as he crosses the half way line. The same goes for defending crosses into the box - he's a definite weak link in the air. He's still got potential, but it's not surprising that he's not crossing the ball into the box much these days, instead running into the corner and laying it off for Lennon or someone else. I'm disappointed that this part of his game hasn't improved but he still has youth on his side
    Huddlestone - has been given plenty of game time but hasn't stamped his authority on any of the games. Needs to step up and prove that he's worth keeping or he'll be gone in January
    Dawson - after being nearly sold, has tried hard but although he is Spurs through and through, doesn't have the composure of the guys ahead of him. Momentary lapses in concentration are still there (unfortuantely costing a goal against the Greeks) and he's still trying those stupid long passes from defence which rarely ever work out

Getting Better/Room for Improvement
    Lennon - it's great to see him rampaging up the line again and attacking players, but he needs to be a bit greedy and shoot more often instead of laying the ball off. His pace is a real threat and he's getting himself into good positions, only to take the wrong option. Still, he seems confident and hopefully he'll keep improving and scoring more goals
    Bale - this might be controversial but I feel that he drifts in games too much. He's playing well and contributing a lot, but like in the first half against Villa (and I know he wasn't alone) nothing was coming off. It was as if he was trying too hard. I know he's being double-marked so it's difficult for him, and he is scoring goals so I can't complain too much, but I feel he could simplify things a bit more and perhaps be more effective

Very Good
    Sandro - I love watching him play. He makes some great tackles, like the one from RVP against Utd that was the start of Bales goal. He's got a great engine and can bring the ball forward, but is a little wayward in some of his passing. Deserves his starting place though we'll see what happens when Parker gets back
    Dembele - I'm very happy with this lad. Great with the ball, provides defensive capabilities as well as a goal threat. He just needs to get into more goal-scoring positions and offload the ball a little quicker at times rather than trying to beat the extra man. Still, he's a star in the making
    Defoe - Keep it up! As already mentioned, he's a greedy bastard but this isn't an issue as long as he's hitting the target. I'm not sure what'll happen when Ade gets back to full fitness
    Brad - I felt sorry for him being dropped for Lloris, but it was inevitable. He'll take it on the chin and will most likely play in the Europa League and perhaps the other cup games too, so won't be left out, but was playing very well for us up until he was dropped
    Gallas - keep it up! Caulker needs you, and it's great you being there as it means the Verts can play at left back. A consumate professional and well able for all but the most physical defenders
    Caulker - fair play to the lad. Between himself and Gallas they have a very good partnership and provide good balance. He's quick and can play the ball too, which is great. I wasn't sure how we'd do without Kaboul but he's stepped up without any problems

Excellent
    Vertonghen - what a player! Our buy of the season and my player of the season so far. Brilliant in defence, be that at CB or LB. Great on the wing and provides a goal threat too. Future club captain and if he is moved back to CB could be there for the next 10 years. Pure class and in my eyes the only player who has been exceptional in each game

Looking good though still early
    Lloris - very good start, with the odd brain fart. Commands his box well though has dropped a couple and needs to relax a little when distributing as we should have been a goal down against Villa on Sunday only for some poor finishing from 10 yards after he gave the ball away

AVB - I'm happy so far, though still concerned that the team hasn't really played 90 minutes of good football. That could be a harsh view as;
    • we're in 5th place, only outside the top 4 on goal difference
    • have matched Everton, who have had their best ever start to a season
    • beat Man Utd for the first time in 23 league matches
    • haven't really played very well yet we're still well up the table
    • have key players yet to return from injury/get up to fitness
    He has made some weird choices during the first part of the season, but to be fair he's usually quick to change them if they don't work out and it's unusual to be a fan who spots a problem only for the manager to change it in the same way as we would have changed it! He's still learning and I'm really hopeful that this is the start of a beautiful relationship with Spurs. What I'm genuinely looking forward to is the team clicking and actually putting in some real 90 minute performances, especially against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal! If Gylfi & Dempsey settle into the team and start contributing I can see good things ahead! :D

COYS!!!

Excellent post. Echo entirely same. Very exciting to be a Spurs fan at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Couple of comments

We have some new players in the team now trying to fit in to a way of playing that maybe a little alien to some of them.
    Still early days but as the games pass by we can see improvements ... obviously due to all these players getting game time together playing in a structured way.

Walker
    Still only 22, very athletic and has bags of stamina ... still learning the game. He needs to listen to the experienced players around him like Gallas. Does switch off concentration sometimes that has led to goals or some close escapes ... still up there in the Top 5 right backs in the league.

Sigurdsson
    Just turned 23, a very good prospect who has come to a new team. I think we have seen glimpses of what he's capable of ... has a very good shot, an eye for goal and shown with Reading and Swansea what he is capable of. Again he's still learning his trade and with some quality players around him he will improve.

Defoe
    Now that he's 30, just don't seem him adapting his game as a lone striker to be more of a team player ...we know that once he has a sniff of the goal he will shoot. Hold up play and persistent offsides can be frustrating. We saw in the last 10 minutes of the Villa game what a true lone striker can play like with Adebayor. Took the pressure of our defence and held up the ball and brought the midfield further up the field and kept the ball ... Defoe does not do this ..but we know what Defoe is good at ... producing a goal from nothing and his pace can get scare defenders.

Caulker
    A new king in the making .... How many headers has he won in the opponents box at free kicks and corners ? Probably more this season than we did all last season ... very assured player who will only get better. Still only 20 and will learn alot from Gallas.

Vertonghen
    Class player both defending and going forward ...absolute steal for what we paid for him ....
    I do have one caveat though .... he could only play Left back in some games ... Nani tore him a new one in the 2nd half against ManUre and against some tricky skilfull players he could be shown up .... Would prefer him at CB

When we have all our players fit its going to cause a few headaches ... just in defence who do you play ?
    Walker/Naughton Gallas/Kaboul Caulker/Vertonghen BAE/Vertonghen/Naughton

Midfield should be;
    Sandro/Dembele/Bale/Lennon/Dempsey

Striker should be Adebayor but its difficult to drop Defoe at the moment
    I would have Lloris in goal .... he's like an extra sweeper ..whereas Friedel tends to stay rooted on his line, Lloris has no fear in coming off his line for the ball ... he does have great distribution as well (just check out his stats for France and Lyon)

The future is bright .... the future is Lilywhite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Bump....

Need all the players "who needed to improve" to earn their corn....tonight would be a great start.

Advertisement