Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa

• 08-10-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi there, we are going to SA at Xmas time and driving some of the Garden Route...we need a stopover between Oudtshoorn and Cape Town...amy suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Hi. We drove the Cape Town to Oudtshoorn route a few yeas ago, but we were mad and drove over and back in one day!! I wanted to visit the Cango Wildlife Sanctuary and we only had that day free. It was 12 hours of driving(6 each way) but so worth it! Being able to pet adult cheetahs and play with tiger cubs-magic! Be sure and visit this park!!

Swellendam is more or less half way so maybe stay there? Sorry I dont have an answer for places to stay:o

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

cool thanks a million - we have 3 days in Oudtshoorn planned so should be able to get a lot done!

Slipshaney wrote: »
    cool thanks a million - we have 3 days in Oudtshoorn planned so should be able to get a lot done!

Sounds great! I wish we had more time there as we wanted to visit the ostrich farm too, but the tiger cubs distracted us;)

We went shark cage diving from Gansbaii which is a great place to do it on your way to Cape Town. Also make the drive down to Cape Point, it's very pretty down there. There is a place on the way near Seaforth called Boulders Bay and they have a colony of wild penguins that you can swim with/walk around on the beach with!

South Africa is so beautiful and so cheap, you'll have a great time!

thanks again - thats what i hear anyway! did you spend much time in Cape Town? We have 6 days there - so hoping that will be enough time to spend there!

thanks again - thats what i hear anyway! did you spend much time in Cape Town? We have 6 days there - so hoping that will be enough time to spend there!

No worries:)

We spent around 5 days in Cape Town. We were staying in the Brighton Court Apartments in Camps Bay which was gorgeous. Lovely apartments and beautiful place. We did Table Mountain which was a must but didn't spend that much time in the city. We were with a wedding party and went to Sun City and Jo'burg after so it was a bit rushed! We spent 1 day table mountain, 1 day to Oudtshoorn, 1 day to Cape Point, 1 day shopping in a mall and 1 day hanging with the group.

I would love to go back to Cape Town sometime as we missed Robbin Island which is apparently amazing. The weather there is fab as well so you'll love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hi there, we are going to SA at Xmas time and driving some of the Garden Route...we need a stopover between Oudtshoorn and Cape Town...amy suggestions??

Is it from Oudsthoorn?

If it is, take the Route 62. Stop at Montagu and stay here: http://www.avalonsprings.co.za/

Then, take the R60 to Worcester, and then the N1 to Cape Town. If the old pass is open, go over the top of the mountain instead of the tunnel - it is worth it for the views.

Now that I think of it, you are probably going from Cape Town to the garden route, and then back to Cape Town.

Take the coast route there - the N2. The trip to Mossel Bay (from Cape Town) will only take about 5 hours. Add an hour for a lunch stop, and it can be done very easily in one day.

I think that there are no road works on this route at the moment.

Thanks very much for the info....we are actually flying into Port Elizabeth and driving from there to Cape Town, staying in Scotia, Storms River, Knysna, and then Oudtshoorm, before going to Cape Town (we are flying home from there)

Its the leg between Oudtshoorn and CT thats causing the issue!

Ill check out Montagu - thanks again

Advertisement