Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Version control and deployment practices - Wordpress

Options
  • 08-10-2012 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I started a rather broad thread about lots of different topics related to this, but didn't get much response, so going for something a bit narrower and more specific now :)

I'm trying to get comfortable with best practice methodologies as they relate to version control, application deployment, automated testing, and things of that nature, and get out of my traditional practices which would involve FTPing everything up to the web server.

Anywho, I'm working on a specific project now which is a simple website built on Wordpress, using a free theme as opposed to one I built myself. I'm trying to think of the best workflow for this, and I'm not sure if I'm overcomplicating or over-engineering the project :confused:

Few questions:
    1. Is it acceptable to simply FTP up a Wordpress site? It seems to be needlessly messy to push it to a remote Git repo, and then clone/pull to the live server, particularly when I'm not actually doing any coding myself; everything that's relevant to the site is really stored in the database.
    2. I do my development locally (XAMPP on a Windows machine), so when I'm putting the site on a live server, or a test server first, there's a lot of messing around with the htaccess file, and the database. Is there no way to remedy this? I've found a decent workaround which uses a local-config.php file for database connection, but I still have to run a find-and-replace tool for 2 or 3 different databases
    3. Is version control and deployment with the likes of Capistrano more for web applications or projects that will require ongoing development/coding, as opposed to static Wordpress sites?
    4. If I'm going to develop a Wordpress theme or plugin, then I'll have to do so within the directories of a Wordpress installation; so what directories should I actually be committing here? All of wp-contents?

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement