Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

newbie question on biking

• 08-10-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a bike early next year and I think I know everything I need to know but just wanted to double check here.

I have previously had mopeds and 125cc bikes on a provisional license and built up 3 yrs no claims- this was over 10 years ago- I am guessing this will be of no benefit yeah?

So, i was thinking of a kawasaki bandit 250 as my first bike- what exactly do I need to do? Apply for an A license permit, do the required training, do the test and then I will have a full A license with no restrictions - so I could go buy an R1 if I wanted?

Have I petty much covered it?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Answer to your question can be found in the top thread in the forum for people starting out.

Anyways, afaik you have to apply for your permit, pass the theory test, do your IBT, wait 6 months, pass your test, and then you'll be restricted to 250 or lower bikes for 2 years. So an R1 will be pretty much out of the question until your 2 years are up, or unless you get it restricted. After your two years you can go buy an R1 if you want. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I have previously had mopeds and 125cc bikes on a provisional license and built up 3 yrs no claims- this was over 10 years ago- I am guessing this will be of no benefit yeah?

Nope, no claims bonus is only good for 2 years after you stop driving.

So, i was thinking of a kawasaki bandit 250 as my first bike- what exactly do I need to do? Apply for an A license permit, do the required training, do the test and then I will have a full A license with no restrictions - so I could go buy an R1 if I wanted?

I'm assuming you mean a Kawaski Ninja 250? The sporty green one right?

I'm not too up to scratch on my licences as I got mine before all these new major restrictions came in but I'm pretty sure you gotta have like 8 or 16 hours of lessons before you're even allowed on the road with a learner permit.

I'm pretty sure you can't go straight to a full A licence anymore either but I'm open for correction here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I'd advise you to skip over the 250 and get an entry level 400 .. the vfr400's used to be an easy bike to insure and an absolute cracker of a bike too.......or even a restricted 600. I'm assuming you might have an issue with insurance but I can tell you that you will grow out of the 250 quite quickly.. then you'll be moving on again- and the 250 will be hard to sell on..... plus, a heavier bike will at least make you ready for weight difference when you do move up to a litre...

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

>5 years since the provisional expired means you're starting from scratch Im afraid - theory test, IBT, learner permit etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A Ninja 250 should be dead easy to sell on. A GN250 maybe not so much...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

yep, sorry, it was a ninja 250 i was thinking of.

The plan was to get an A permit, do the IBT training on a school bike, then buy a ninja250, do test 6 months later, sell ninja and was thinking of an un-restricted yamaha r6 or similar.

I'm well over 24 so from what I've read online(RSA site) I can get a full A licence in January (after licensing changes come in) and restrictions etc wont apply for the usual 2 yrs like they do now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

yep, sorry, it was a ninja 250 i was thinking of.

The plan was to get an A permit, do the IBT training on a school bike, then buy a ninja250, do test 6 months later, sell ninja and was thinking of an un-restricted yamaha r6 or similar.

I'm well over 24 so from what I've read online(RSA site) I can get a full A licence in January (after licensing changes come in) and restrictions etc wont apply for the usual 2 yrs like they do now

We all (Instructors) have a meeting on Sunday with the RSA to be told the exact way things will change in January. I will wait until after then before telling anyone anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Roadskill wrote: »
    We all (Instructors) have a meeting on Sunday with the RSA to be told the exact way things will change in January. I will wait until after then before telling anyone anything.

This is going to be very interesting....:confused:

1 more question:

will be doing the theory test next week and applying for learner permit(A). 6 months later I will be doing the test for a full unrestricted A license(assuming new changes go ahead)

Question is, what bike do I get now- was going to get a Ninja 250 untill I pass the test and then get an R6, however, is the ninja too small/underpowered to use it for my test for full A license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

1 more question:

will be doing the theory test next week and applying for learner permit(A). 6 months later I will be doing the test for a full unrestricted A license(assuming new changes go ahead)

Question is, what bike do I get now- was going to get a Ninja 250 untill I pass the test and then get an R6, however, is the ninja too small/underpowered to use it for my test for full A license?

Ninja 250 be grand for the test.

would you not just get a restricted 600 and then when you pass the test and dont need restriction then just remove the restrictions

• Advertisement

would you not just get a restricted 600 and then when you pass the test and dont need restriction then just remove the restrictions

I would, but will find it hard to get insured on an r6 with only a learner permit..

At present yes but he'll be doing the test next year after the new rules so he'll need a more powerful bike to get a full A licence otherwise he'll have a full A2.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    At present yes but he'll be doing the test next year after the new rules so he'll need a more powerful bike to get a full A licence otherwise he'll have a full A2.

yep, as I thought, but am unsure what the minimum power is, what is it, thanks.

yep, as I thought, but am unsure what the minimum power is, what is it, thanks.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%206%20Representative%20vehicles%20for%20the%20driving%20test%20@%2018th%20July%202012.pdf

So you'll need a bike equal or greater than 40kw with a cylinder capacity of at least 395cm cubed.

cheers for that..anything you would recommend- keeping in mind insurance cost and resale as I would only be using it for a few months..advice appreciated..thanks

minimum of 595 cc , no?

minimum of 595 cc , no?

Yes but that's another definition as stated by the RSA.

Yes but that's another definition as stated by the RSA.

sorry, I'm not 100% clear on that..is 595 or 395 ?

sorry, I'm not 100% clear on that..is 595 or 395 ?

595cc/600cc

595cc/600cc

Thanks. So (sorry for all the questions!), after I obtain my learners permit, and pass my IBT, the learner permit will cover me driving a 600 cc bike((or any high power bike) while I'm waiting to apply for the full test? Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks. So (sorry for all the questions!), after I obtain my learners permit, and pass my IBT, the learner permit will cover me driving a 600 cc bike((or any high power bike) while I'm waiting to apply for the full test? Thanks

Not 100% on the non restriction. There was an RSA conference on this weekend where instructors were briefed. If I hear anything solid I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niner99

any word on what's what after the meeting with RSA? Roadskill? Anyone? These Jan regulations are not just in ROI but also NI I believe. I'm from ROI but I may do my training in NI as instructors are miles away from me in Donegal and Derry is far handier, besides, I got an NI licence now too. All these regulations, restrictions, requirements do my nuts in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

niner99 wrote: »
    any word on what's what after the meeting with RSA? Roadskill? Anyone? These Jan regulations are not just in ROI but also NI I believe. I'm from ROI but I may do my training in NI as instructors are miles away from me in Donegal and Derry is far handier, besides, I got an NI licence now too. All these regulations, restrictions, requirements do my nuts in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81243891&postcount=199

read the rest of that thread too, Roadskill clears up a few things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niner99

Thank you minidazzler, gentleman, gentle hermaphrodite or gentle woman!? :D

Advertisement