Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Historical voters' registers

• 08-10-2012 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know where it's possible to consult historical voters' registers? I need to look at voters' registers for Dublin saaaay 1890-1930, and for Omagh, Co Tyrone 1916-1922, and for Broadford, Co Mayo for 1916-21. A blog of the National Library seems to suggest they're kept on that site digitally, but I can't find them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Would anyone know where it's possible to consult historical voters' registers?

I'd also love to know. I've accessed voters lists online for Canada and found addresses and occupations I hadn't otherwise known. I'd love to do the same for Ireland if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Electoral registers for Dublin city for the years 1937 to 1964 are available in Dublin City Library in Pearse St. The 1939/40 edition is available online - see : http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php

I believe some other areas are held in the National Archive - but not available online.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Pearse Street? Thanks! And in the National Archive in Bishop Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

If you search the National Library Catalogue using the term 'electoral registers' + relevant county then that will bring up their holdings.

Unfortunately, for your research, they only seem to have them beginning in the 1930s, at least that is what is on the online catalogue.

County libraries and archives should have older ones. e.g. I've seen Limerick ones for the 1920s on limerickcity.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If you search the National Library Catalogue using the term 'electoral registers' + relevant county then that will bring up their holdings.

Unfortunately, for your research, they only seem to have them beginning in the 1930s, at least that is what is on the online catalogue.

County libraries and archives should have older ones. e.g. I've seen Limerick ones for the 1920s on limerickcity.ie

Ah, thanks, excellent!

Though the Omagh one may be a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement