Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organisational disaster

Options
  • 08-10-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Below is the fascinating story, I'm sure you'll agree, of what happened when I applied for a student credit at the end of August.

After applying online I called up to check several days later on the status I was told the application had been processed the day before and I should expect to receive the documents within the next day or so. When I didn't after a week, I phoned back, and was told the application (at the time of the call) still hadn't been processed, even though the first time I called I was told the documents were already dispatched.

When I finally received the documents to be returned, I filled them in as I believe I was instructed to do, got student ID photocopy certified in branch and sent it off. I did not enclose proof of address or ID because as an existing account holder, I believe I was instructed that it was not necessary (I have been assured by your staff that it is, and I will accept I was possibly mistaken and it did in fact say this).

Only over a week later when I called to find out why there was no action, was I informed that the AML documents were missing and thus the application had been halted. Why was I not informed immediately upon receipt that I had not enclosed all the correct documents? By all accounts the rest of the forms I sent back had been received almost a week prior, at that point.

SO, seeing as the utility bills aren't in my name, I was left in a bit of a problematic situation for the proof of address (since BoI own statements aren't accepted). Then the woman I spoke to suggested issuing a duplicate statement, having verified that the credit card department can accept BoI statements, as they are run separately (or some other reason like that). Except I get eStatements. Forget that then.

So a day or two later I though, maybe a results statement from a third-level institution might work. I called up, only to have the agent "Are you a student who lives at home? Well you can use a utility bill in your parent's name" (not answering the question I asked, but it was a relief nonetheless). I made absolutely sure to add "Even student credit cards? For someone over 18" which he confirmed with "All student products can use parent's utility bills". So off I go to the branch (again) get the copies made and had the documents posted off in the internal post. Over two weeks later, they were nowhere to be seen. I was told I'd be called back on two separate occasions and wasn't.

So everyone's all apologies, I go and get another set of copies made and post them by An Post. Once again they apparently vanished off the face of the earth. I called up and asked about them. Was told I'd be called back in the afternoon. I wasn't.

Then I call again myself, and (for once) a very helpful woman called me back who gave me her personal address in BoI to send them to, to make sure they get to the right department. Great, things were finally working out, I thought. But just to be sure, I asked her to confirm about a utility bill in a parent's name. She called me back in an hour.

Lo and behold, despite being very clearly and unambiguously confirmed previously (albeit by someone else): no, it has to be my own name. Seeing as I had nothing else I was advised to get an ML10 from the Gardaí as a replacement for proof of address, along with my passport for proof of ID. When I called the Gardaí to check what I'd need for an ML10, they said I couldn't get one: an ML10 is only for someone who has neither a driver's licence nor a passport!

At this point still determined to find something, I called back to confirm what a rep had earlier told me (that a BoI statement can be used for a credit card application: I did not misunderstand or imagine it, because it was a long conversation whereby she even began the process of ordering the statement). I think anyone reading this can guess what I was told: no, a statement issued by Bank of Ireland is not suitable for any product in Bank of Ireland.

So all my options exhausted, three visits to the branch, hours of my time wasted talking to staff telling me various contradictory information, and absolutely nothing to show for it whatsoever.

It would be helpful if in future staff actually gave out consistent and accurate information (of particular help would be whether or not they're actually going to call you back when they say they will). As your staff love to remind me: the calls are recorded, and everything I say they said could be easily verified if anyone ever had any desire to. Regardless of whether or not the AML documents were correct: what kind of Bank loses the documents twice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi who is this,

Apologies about the delay and conflicting information you were given. We have made the credit card department aware of the issues you had when applying and looking for information. We requested they make all agents aware of the correct information as per below:
    To clarify these forms for proof of address is in relation to credit cards.

Acceptable forms would be a bank/mortgage statement from another financial institution. Otherwise you could use a motor tax renewal form, motor/car insurance renewal forms, revenue or social welfare documents. Also ebills or green bills can be an acceptable form of proof of address but must be signed and stamped in a Bank of Ireland branch. Any document used need to be dated in last 6 months.

We would be quite keen to investigate this for you, if you can you please pm me with your name and contact number.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement