Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University English courses and their uses...

Options
  • 08-10-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have the problem of having a passion for English and wanting to study it at UCD, but I really do not want to teach in a school. I've done some research and it would seem my options are limited.
    Out of interest, has anyone studied just English (in particular UCD, or anywhere else), and what have you gone on to do.
    Also, if anyone has done the 3 years of English followed by the MA in Creative Writing and has any insights or can tell me what sort of jobs they may have received after, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a degree in English. Loved doing it, but I found it no good at all career wise, so a total waste of time and money for me.
    I'm sure others have more positive experiences, but in terms of getting a good job, it was no real help whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

NiamhW95 wrote: »
    I have the problem of having a passion for English and wanting to study it at UCD, but I really do not want to teach in a school. I've done some research and it would seem my options are limited.
    Out of interest, has anyone studied just English (in particular UCD, or anywhere else), and what have you gone on to do.
    Also, if anyone has done the 3 years of English followed by the MA in Creative Writing and has any insights or can tell me what sort of jobs they may have received after, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you :)

English Lit Departments in Ireland tend to have far less focus on Creative Writing, than you would find in say, the US. But as you say, it can be done as a post-grad. Anyone who enjoys English literature will enjoy aspects of a degree in that subject, but don't expect it being any use in getting a job - except perhaps within an English Dept in a Uni, but of course that will also require post-grad work anyway.

One thing to be careful of before getting involved in a degree is that English departments seems to have fixation on "Critical Theory" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory). Im my opinion, the detriment of the original texts. Having spoken with many people who've studied English in college, the over-handed emphasis on Post-structuralism, Marxism, Feminism, New Historicism, Semiology, Lacanism, Post-moderism etc can be a bit of drag.

Advertisement