Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C# .NET website, making a mobile page...

Options
  • 08-10-2012 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've developed my site using .NET 3.5 in C#, I use MS Web Developer 2010 am trying to just develop a single mobile page for the site. Any Googling I do for this, seems to bring up mobile WAP pages, instead of something that I'd be trying to open in an iPhone 4 or something like that.

Would anyone have a simple template handy for just getting me off the launchpad on this one?

Thanks,

HFC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

You don't say whether you've used Webforms or MVC? The latter will be easier as the markup is so much cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

John_Mc wrote: »
    You don't say whether you've used Webforms or MVC? The latter will be easier as the markup is so much cleaner.

Hi John, am currently using webforms but just started looking at MVC last week, but as the website has been completely developed using webforms, and this project is just to get a mobile page on my site, I'm hoping for some kind of a sample/template that uses the current set up, so I can use what I am experienced with. I'm hoping to then go look at MVC and find my feet there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi John, am currently using webforms but just started looking at MVC last week, but as the website has been completely developed using webforms, and this project is just to get a mobile page on my site, I'm hoping for some kind of a sample/template that uses the current set up, so I can use what I am experienced with. I'm hoping to then go look at MVC and find my feet there...

The best way of creating a mobile friendly page is by using clean markup and CSS 3/ HTML5. The former is impossible with Webforms I'm afraid.

If your application is already put together in a good way then it shouldn't be too time consuming to create an MVC site with the pages you want available on mobile devices. It can use the same business logic & data access layers that you already have and the presentation layer required for a stripped down mobile page is basic.

You could further reduce development effort by using a mobile framework such as jQuery Mobile if you're willing to compromise on a reduction in performance (as suggested by another poster on here but I have no experience either way with jQuery Mobile with it).

It would also be a good way for you to learn MVC :)

Advertisement