Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boris Johnson - I don't get it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The really startling thing about Boris Johnson is how much his success in politics has depended on the media. About 10 years ago, he was regarded as a slightly eccentric Tory from Central Casting who could be relied upon to represent a very threadbare right-wing corner of Have I Got News For You. From there, he became almost a national treasure in the UK where they seem to love this bumbling shtick, and once he had the profile, it was only a hop, skip and a jump to being elected London mayor.
    His career will make a fascinating case history for some young politics student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah, a grade A moron

Bush attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, graduating with an A.B. in history. In the fall of 1973, Bush attended the Harvard Business School, where he earned a Master of Business Administration. He is the only U.S. President to have earned an M.B.A

Am I the only one not impressed when someone says they have an M.B.A ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Boris Johnson = one man with one vision = one great 'New Bus for London' AKA the Borismaster/ the Boris bus :))

Irish fella (LBC Radio) interviews Boris about his new bus > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_2q-o49pU&feature=player_detailpage

Boris is great, he's a breath of fresh air, he is very intelligent, and most importantly of all, Londoners just love him.

Ding Ding, all aboard now please! http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2011/12/borismaster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

My view on Boris, at least he ain't ken, and as I walk everywhere these days he doesn't get a chance to annoy me. (Only thing the Mayor of London gets to look after is transport)

He play well in London but will never make PM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

. I know he's highly intelligent having been schooled in Eton and Oxford and all that

Attending prestigious, private schools is an indication of wealth, not intelligence.

Boris Johnson has done nothing to justify his political position and is only there because of who his family are. He is another prime example of nepotism and how far coming from the right family (His father worked for the World Bank and is a former MEP and his grandfather was a European Human Rights Commisioner) and attending the right schools will get you in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Reindeer wrote: »
    Bush makes Boris look like freakin' Socrates.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16911257FWbB4Wcc?h1=After+Rome%3A+Part+1
    He covers Socrates in his BBC documentary "After Rome"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So I just don't get it. Is he secretly very intelligent? He must have a brain somewhere in that head....right?

The man is eccentric. Very much so. Mad hatter kind of personality.

He is also very intelligent, and thats what endears him to the british public.

Fun loving, but with a no-bull**** attitude when it comes to politics. Straight talkers in that field are few and far between, and you should treasure them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

It's an act. But he wouldn't get away with such an act if he wasn't upper class, he'd just be considered an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

GSF wrote: »
    http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16911257FWbB4Wcc?h1=After+Rome%3A+Part+1
    He covers Socrates in his BBC documentary "After Rome"

That was pretty interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The really startling thing about Boris Johnson is how much his success in politics has depended on the media. About 10 years ago, he was regarded as a slightly eccentric Tory from Central Casting who could be relied upon to represent a very threadbare right-wing corner of Have I Got News For You. From there, he became almost a national treasure in the UK where they seem to love this bumbling shtick, and once he had the profile, it was only a hop, skip and a jump to being elected London mayor.
    His career will make a fascinating case history for some young politics student.

You don't become mayor of London just be being on TV a few times.

I was amazed when Boris got in, Ken Livingstone was very popular (if not a tad egotistical) with the average Londoner and I thought a bumbling posh boy would have no chance. What surprised me was the people who voted for him, it wasn't just the Pimms brigade from Fulham, it was a very broad range of people from all sorts of different back grounds.

Most people who met him talked about how likeable and knowledgeable he was and how he was quite happy to say things they way they were.

Advertisement