Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trunking

• 08-10-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

OK, in a new installation to comply with regulations on consumer unit heights what do people use to bring the cables down from ceiling to top of fusebox. I've inquired in wholesaler about pvc trunking sizes and was told biggest stocked was 100mm but this won't be wide enough as there's quite a lot of circuits.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

OK, in a new installation to comply with regulations on consumer unit heights what do people use to bring the cables down from ceiling to top of fusebox. I've inquired in wholesaler about pvc trunking sizes and was told biggest stocked was 100mm but this won't be wide enough as there's quite a lot of circuits.

How wide do you need?

150mm trunking here.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/150x100mm-maxi-trunking.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ive been using 3 compartment dado trunking mostly
    i take out the dividers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When single compartment plastic trunking wider than 100mm is used it becomes harder to put the lid on and to get it to stay on.
    My solution has been to install multiple 100mm trunkings tight to each other.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Is it a domestic installation because you can get steel trunking 8"x8".

Would you not just chase the wall down to the fuseboard much neater job than lookin at trunking or box the cables into the wall and mount the board on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Is it a domestic installation because you can get steel trunking 8"x8".

Would you not just chase the wall down to the fuseboard much neater job than lookin at trunking or box the cables into the wall and mount the board on it.

Yes it's a domestic job, chase every cable for every circuit in a 2 storey house including the 16sq mains and several swa into the wall?? They'd be no wall left

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes it's a domestic job, chase every cable for every circuit in a 2 storey house including the 16sq mains and several swa into the wall?? They'd be no wall left
    You are right. Chasing is not an option when you have lots of circuits.
    White plastic trunking will look fine, it will even match the appearance of the board.

I assume it's a rewire you're doing then.

I just finished one and chased every wall for every circuit some I managed to use the old wavin in the walls switches mainly.

It's not fun and hard goin with plenty of plastering to be done ater but if you're gonna do a job do it right and price accordingly.

I hate the look of white plastic mini trunking it looks ****e.

If you can't chase down to the wall to the DB position it someplace where you can either enclose it or build a false wall so you'll have a cavity to run the cables floor to ceiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Not to mention if you wanted to add a circuit a few years down the line,very awkward. Multiple 100mm trunking is what we did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I assume it's a rewire you're doing then.

I just finished one and chased every wall for every circuit some I managed to use the old wavin in the walls switches mainly.

It's not fun and hard goin with plenty of plastering to be done ater but if you're gonna do a job do it right and price accordingly.

If you can't chase down to the wall to the DB position it someplace where you can either enclose it or build a false wall so you'll have a cavity to run the cables floor to ceiling.

Bit off topic but whats the best way to chase a wall? im a industrial spark not a clue about domestic:owould a normal grinder with diamond disc do?

Any info would be great

crasy dash wrote: »
    would a normal grinder with diamond disc do?
    Yes, followed by a kango.

• Advertisement

Bit off topic but whats the best way to chase a wall? im a industrial spark not a clue about domestic:owould a normal grinder with diamond disc do?

Any info would be great

If the house has no roof windows or doors you might get away with an angle grinder there'll be dust everywhere :eek:

Get yourself a chasing tool. they have a hoover attachment and a decent kango it's fairly handy but a messy affair. Reason why most lads use mini trunking.

If you're doing it in a house that's occupied tape up doors as the fine dust will end up all over the place.

http://www.laserchaser.ie/

I agree, but I think that a 4" or two is best for the distribution board.
    The neatest solution but it is not always an option.
    It can make adding future circuits more involved.

2011 wrote: »
    I agree, but I think that a 4" or two is best for the distribution board.

Ah sure I'm only pointing out what I'd accept if a spark came near any of my walls with a piece of plastic trunking or conduit it'd be inserted up his :eek:

I hate the stuff with a passion sure I had to reroute the cables the sky lads pulled in talk about a dogs dinner.

I'd rather build a bulk head down to the board than look at two 4" plastic trunking running down the wall but that's just me. :D

Thanks again leeomurchu and 2011 sound advice as always:rolleyes:

Just thinking about a house im trying to buy needs a complete rewire ,would love to buy proper chaser but it would never be used again haha

Might just pay someone to do it for me:pac:

Ah sure I'm only pointing out what I'd accept if a spark came near any of my walls with a piece of plastic trunking or conduit it'd be inserted up his :eek:
    I guess it depends on the situation. I would generally install a DB somewhere like a utility room. In that case I would be happy with a short piece of 4" trunking from the top of the board to the ceiling. But in a nice hallway I agree with you that a 4" trunking floor to ceiling would look awful.
    I hate the stuff with a passion sure I had to reroute the cables the sky lads pulled in talk about a dogs dinner.
    +1
    I would not accept this either.
    Mini trunking for one or 2 cables is a very different story than a short piece of 4" directly into the top of a board.

Thanks again leeomurchu and 2011 sound advice as always:rolleyes:
    You are welcome.
    Just thinking about a house im trying to buy needs a complete rewire ,would love to buy proper chaser but it would never be used again haha
    You might be able to rent one.

You are welcome.

Will ring my local plant hire tomorrow and ask
    Thanks again
    Ger

You are welcome.

You can rent them alright they're about €80-€100 /day. you'll pick a chaser up off ebay that'll do for the amount you'll be using it and buy a bolster chisel to clear out the chase.

Either way rewire it before you move in lock stock as it's gonna be a messy affair whichever route you take but chasing the walls and flush boxes is the way to go imo.

You can rent them alright they're about €80-€100 /day. you'll pick a chaser up off ebay that'll do for the amount you'll be using it and buy a bolster chisel to clear out the chase.

Either way rewire it before you move in lock stock as it's gonna be a messy affair whichever route you take but chasing the walls and flush boxes is the way to go imo.

Really appreciate the advice saw a few cheap ones on ebay, dont know if the would be much good though dont want it ending up being a complete pain in the arse:P

Really appreciate the advice saw a few cheap ones on ebay, dont know if the would be much good though dont want it ending up being a complete pain in the arse:P

I've bought one on there before got 3 years service out of it no bothers even came with a spare set of brushes.

you'll need to pick up a decent set of diamond discs though and I used to use one of those ash hoovers for the extractor. If you connector your ordinary hoover to it the dust is so fine it'll block the filters and over heat the motor the thermal cut out will kick in to save any serious damage but better to avoid this.

Might be easier to clear all your routes mark all the walls and rent one for a couple of days and get busy big pair of ear defenders aswell :D

Good Luck with it anyway check out adverts and Done deal you might find a second hand one goin cheap.

To rent a grinder is a fraction of the price but honestly the house will be destroyed and you won't be able to breath never mind see anything after a couple of seconds.

Good Luck with it.

• Advertisement

dont want it ending up being a complete pain in the arse:P

It'll be a pain in the arse even if you pay someone to do it :D b ut sure get it done right and forget about it.

Advertisement