Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams:The Subconscious Mind

Options
  • 08-10-2012 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

This thread is'nt paranormal but was prompted by the Dreams Come True thread about the workings of the mind.

I'm totally cool with me if Mods think it not the right place and move it or whatever.

Might be of interest to some. And I'm sure lots will have tried this before.

I won't reveal the nature of the test as it would spoil the process and outcome.

But if you haven't heard of this you might be interested to give it a go. It's harmless, but can be revealing, rather like dreams.

If you want to get involved do this:

Imagine yourself in a boat on a river, or a sea, or any other waterway.

Location wise, where are you?
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with?
    What type of vessel are you in?
    What do you see?
    What can you hear?
    Where are you going?
    What is the journey like?
    How are you feeling? .

...and whatever else you can describe etc..

Either post up, or PM me with your description.

I wont make any public comments as it would scupper the thread , but will PM you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

lol okay, i'll bite..

Where are you? I'm on a boat!
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? Alone
    What type of vessel are you in? Canal barge
    What do you see? Grass
    What can you hear? Ducks and Traffic
    Where are you going? Wherever the canal takes me
    What is the journey like? Calm
    How are you feeling? Relaxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Thank you for biting!

Well was I close degrassinoel? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Location wise, where are you? Amazonian setting
    What type of vessel are you in? Hand-crafted raft
    What do you see? Vibrant deep green banks, tall trees, fish jumping out occasionally
    What can you hear? Cries af animals/ birds of forest, babbling water
    Where are you going? Don't know but not in a hurry
    What is the journey like? slow, dark, calm waters
    How are you feeling? . Afraid and alone... probably since I can't swim :o

Thanks Elmidena...PM sent....what ya reckon? nonsense or bit of sense? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Got the pm, yeah fairly accurate, though as moods change so could any of the answers too. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Got the pm, yeah fairly accurate, though as moods change so could any of the answers too. Cheers :)

Yeah that's for sure, from Mississippi paddle steamer to ocean going tanker :D......thanks for givin' it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Where are you? Boat on a river
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? in company
    What type of vessel are you in? medium size boat
    What do you see? Lush trees overhanging river, calm water, blue sky, bend in river
    What can you hear? Birds and drone of boat
    Where are you going? On a tour of river
    What is the journey like? smooth
    How are you feeling? Content

@Kdylass...what ya reckon? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Location wise, where are you?holiday island
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with?alone
    What type of vessel are you in?lilo
    What do you see?blue sky
    What can you hear?waves/water
    Where are you going?nowhere
    What is the journey like?relaxing/lovely
    How are you feeling? .happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

got a book called the element encylopedia of the psychic world,its a big thick book,and on dreams it covers over four pages,it says everyone dreams and the average person will spend approximately 25 years asleep and experience 3000,000 dreams.it says if you are stressed you may have dreams about swimming.if you feel confused you may have a dream about being lost in a dark wood,a boat for example is typically a symbol of transition.

• Advertisement

@Getz. The dream thing is really interesting.

I was a few years ago, no, I'll tell ya the dream first.

I was trying to climb a wall, I kept on getting to the top, and got my arms over, but just as I was about to haul myself up and over, hundreds of leeches starting pulling me back down again, and I kept repeating the climb.

It was horrible, and a very unusual dream for me.

I talked about it to a friend who says, "are you working on anything right now, and carrying others who expect everything from you but giving nothing?"..

she was bang on...I'll spare the details.....never dreamed that dream again..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

@Getz. The dream thing is really interesting.

I was a few years ago, no, I'll tell ya the dream first.

I was trying to climb a wall, I kept on getting to the top, and got my arms over, but just as I was about to haul myself up and over, hundreds of leeches starting pulling me back down again, and I kept repeating the climb.

It was horrible, and a very unusual dream for me.

I talked about it to a friend who says, "are you working on anything right now, and carrying others who expect everything from you but giving nothing?"..

she was bang on...I'll spare the details.....never dreamed that dream again..:D
    sigmund freud wrote a book called the interpretation of dreams,and he considered dreams to be the royal road to the unconscious.the next psychiatrist was carl jung who considered dreams to be expressions of the contents of the collective unconscious a source of shared knowledge that exists within us all.the oldest book on dreams dates back 4,000 years,its called the chester beatty papyus,and came from thebes in upper egypt and is in the british museum, its true i havent dreamed it up, hic

Hmm I'd say *some* of what you PMd would be fairly accurate, but some a million miles off. Sorry I didn't see them last night though... Are you basing this off something you've read/heard or making it up as you go along? Just curious :)

Elmidena wrote: »
    Hmm I'd say *some* of what you PMd would be fairly accurate, but some a million miles off. Sorry I didn't see them last night though... Are you basing this off something you've read/heard or making it up as you go along? Just curious :)

Hi Elmidena,

Its based on a psychometric test used by a large multinational company, well it was being used in the late 80's/90's.

Its not a precise science for sure, far, far from it, and theres lots of other random variables and factors involved. The individual, the interpretation of the questions by the participant, my interpretation of the answers etc...

I was reminded of it by the recent "Dreams" thread, which can very often reflect whats going on in real life, processing it and dealing with it, our subconscious thoughts/feelings coming to the surface when sleeping.

So this wee excersice is just tryin to examine that subconscious state when awake. I wouldnt read too much into it, but I know when I relaxed my mind and took that trip, different modes of travel have been evoked by the way I have been feeling at that time.

Try it with some of your friends to see the result.

When I did it myself on this occasion I was on a large ocean going tanker, probably the captain, making slow but steady progress through choppy waters, heading towards a destination. The first time I did it I was sipping a brandy on a slow moving paddle steamer on the Mississippi river, nice warm summers evening..it did seem to accurately reflect where I was at at those times.
    Its a bit of fun too:), I hope.

Definitely, I love exercises like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Location wise, where are you? The boyne
    What type of vessel are you in? Canoe
    What do you see? Trees and sun
    What can you hear? Birds chirping
    Where are you going? Down the river
    What is the journey like? Peaceful
    How are you feeling? Euphoric

Hi folks...let me know if sense or nonsense:D bit of fun really....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Location wise, where are you? Saigon River, Vietnam. 1969.

Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? I'm with my squad. Charlie's passing around a bottle of Jack. Damn fool's gonna be drunk off his behind by the time we're back at base. Sarge'll chew him out again, but that's not my problem.

What type of vessel are you in? Brand new PBR, courtesy of Uncle Sam. We've been calling her Shirley, but damned if I know why. Faster than the POS we were in before, that's for sure.

What do you see? Trees and water. My squad. The liquid lead these commies call a river. My wife, Helen, holding our baby.,, Aww shucks, maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

What can you hear? The engine, the guys jerking around. Other than that, it's quiet... Too quiet.

Where are you going? Coming back from a routine patrol, nothing special. We're set to make dock back at base in a couple hours.

What is the journey like? It's been fine, really. Not much to... What was that? Huh, never mind. Thought I heard- Oh God, Charlie! Evans, Mitchell, in the trees, there, sniper! Take him out! Sh*t, there's more of 'em! Who's left? Spray the treeline you idiots! Oh f*ck, GRENADE!
    Burning! Oh God, I'm burning!!!
    Tell... ugh, tell Helen... Aww hell *sigh*

How are you feeling? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Location wise, where are you? On a lake
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? on my own
    What type of vessel are you in? small wooden boad
    What do you see? blue sky, some clouds, small wooded islands close by
    What can you hear? water lapping on the side of the boat as it bobs, wind blowing gently
    Where are you going?
    What is the journey like? nowhere, fishing, drifting
    How are you feeling? . peaceful & relaxed

...and whatever else you can describe etc..
    I can smell a freshwater lake smell, like weeds and reeds and summery green smells.the sun is warm on my skin, but the breeze is cool, I am bobbing gently up and down on the small waves from the wind.

Cracking description..

you wouldn't by any chance have been ne-ne-ne-ne-nineteen, ne-ne-ne-ne, ninteen years old at the time? :D
    Urizen wrote: »
    Location wise, where are you? Saigon River, Vietnam. 1969.

Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? I'm with my squad. Charlie's passing around a bottle of Jack. Damn fool's gonna be drunk off his behind by the time we're back at base. Sarge'll chew him out again, but that's not my problem.

What type of vessel are you in? Brand new PBR, courtesy of Uncle Sam. We've been calling her Shirley, but damned if I know why. Faster than the POS we were in before, that's for sure.

What do you see? Trees and water. My squad. The liquid lead these commies call a river. My wife, Helen, holding our baby.,, Aww shucks, maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

What can you hear? The engine, the guys jerking around. Other than that, it's quiet... Too quiet.

Where are you going? Coming back from a routine patrol, nothing special. We're set to make dock back at base in a couple hours.

What is the journey like? It's been fine, really. Not much to... What was that? Huh, never mind. Thought I heard- Oh God, Charlie! Evans, Mitchell, in the trees, there, sniper! Take him out! Sh*t, there's more of 'em! Who's left? Spray the treeline you idiots! Oh f*ck, GRENADE!
    Burning! Oh God, I'm burning!!!
    Tell... ugh, tell Helen... Aww hell *sigh*

How are you feeling? ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Are you still doing this It's Behind You?! Sounds cool :)

Location wise, where are you? Somewhere hot and sunny, with crystal blue waters. Greece or somewhere on the Med :D
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? All alone!
    What type of vessel are you in? I'm swimming
    What do you see? Just the sea, sun and sky
    What can you hear? The rushing of the waves
    Where are you going? Nowhere in particular. Maybe away from an island to another island
    What is the journey like? Leisurely, I'm not a fast swimmer!
    How are you feeling? Ahhhh... Like I'm escaping it all :)

...and whatever else you can describe etc.. It's like a recurring dream I've had where I'm in a swimming pool, all kind of Greek tiles and white and blue. There's a door in the poolside and I open it, only to walk out onto a white sandy beach and a blue sea- then I hop in! :D

@Riosy7: PM sent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

@Riosy7: PM sent:D

I meant to reply to this AGES ago! Sorry :) Hmmm some of it was accurate but I think perhaps it's not a reflection of my own life atm but rather what I would like my life to be :)

This is really cool!

Roisy7 wrote: »
    I meant to reply to this AGES ago! Sorry :) Hmmm some of it was accurate but I think perhaps it's not a reflection of my own life atm but rather what I would like my life to be :)

This is really cool!

hehehehe! I'm always yearning for blue skies, aint we all? and thats no bad thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Location wise, where are you? at sea
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? on my own
    What type of vessel are you in? small wooden paddle boat
    What do you see? more sea, the coast, birds
    What can you hear? birds, the wind
    Where are you going? on an adventure
    What is the journey like? calm, no hurry
    How are you feeling? apprehensive

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Location wise, where are you? on a river
    old fashioned open row boat
    What do you see? a waterfall
    What can you hear?
    rushing water, birds, grass in the wind
    Where are you going? nowhere, just in the boat
    What is the journey like? relatively non-eventful
    How are you feeling? .
    uncertain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Location wise, where are you? on a river.
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? With my husband. He's sitting behind me so I can't see him, but I know he's there.
    What type of vessel are you in? An open row boat.
    What do you see? We're right in the middle of the river, trees either side looking bright and interesting, sun glinting off the water.
    What can you hear? Birds and the water splashing.
    Where are you going? Nowhere is particular, just there to enjoy the trip. Maybe for a picnic.
    What is the journey like? relaxing and fun. Special.
    How are you feeling? Calm, warm, loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mistleo

Location wise, where are you? at the sea
    Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with? with my sister
    What type of vessel are you in? Canoe
    What do you see? vast open sea
    What can you hear? water splashing against the canoe, my sister's laughter
    Where are you going? to an island in the distance
    What is the journey like? full of fun and laughter
    How are you feeling? peacefully happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Location wise, where are you?

On The Amazon River .

Are you on your own, or in company? If so, who are you with?

My Boyfriend.

We are on a raft.

What do you see?

Lots of trees on either side of River, and Blue Skies. Birds.

What can you hear?

Birds.

Where are you going?

Dunno, just having fun exploring really.

What is the journey like?

Very Tranquil. Excitement about exploring an amazing area, but overiding feeling is very calm and content. I am standing up at front of raft with an oar paddling feeling very happy and excited, my boyfriend is sitting on raft chilled out smoking, also very happy admiring the surroundings and beaming up at me.
    We are moving at a pleasant rate, not too fast just the right speed to take in the surrounding views.

How are you feeling? .
    See above. Excited, happy, and very content and peaceful.

whatever else you can describe

It feels very natural for us to be here on this raft in the middle of the amazon river. Like we are "at one" with this environment and the nature.
    God that sounds cheesy now that I write it, but it was a pleasant little daydream for me to visualise all the same. :o

For the record I have never been to the amazon and in real life would probably be afraid of crocodiles, but in my daydream I feel perfectly fine!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Thanks for reply It's Behind You! I have sent you a pm. :)

Advertisement