Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would like to upgrade my existing wifi router to something a bit better

Options
  • 08-10-2012 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Exisiting: the old workhorse -linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT.

It sits connected to a cisco epc3925 from UPC.

connects to my PC
    connects to the linksys

wrt54g
    connects to xbox360
    connects to a boxee box

What I would like, is a router to replace the linksys; that I can use for the wifi (the 3925 range is poor I find and I'd like to use multiple wifi bands at once) and is easy to use and doesn't break the bank to buy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This one is the dogs gonads, I've been recommending it lots as it's so powerful, serious piece of kit for the price
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MIKROTIK-Routerboard-RB751G-2HnD-WIRELESS-5xPORT-GIGABIT-ROUTER-RB-751G-2HnD-/200712003798?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item2ebb5e20d6

Big thread about configuring it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

multi wifi band support?

and doesn't do gigabit ethernet it seems

kaimera wrote: »
    multi wifi band support?

and doesn't do gigabit ethernet it seems

Multi band no, it's 2.4Ghz only. It has 5 gigabit ports. This honestly is the most powerful wireless router available anywhere, 1Watt (1000mW) output, to put that in context the Linksys Wrt54G is a pitiful 85mW. They are having difficulty getting them certified in the USA for this reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cheers Pog.

The spec sheet said "Gigabit: No" - not a deal breaker but still.

Reason I wanted multi-band support was for some 'legacy' devs and that I can then have my 'n' rated devs getting full use around the house.

Does the 2HnD mean second hand by chance?

kaimera wrote: »
    Cheers Pog.

The spec sheet said "Gigabit: No" - not a deal breaker but still.

Reason I wanted multi-band support was for some 'legacy' devs and that I can then have my 'n' rated devs getting full use around the house.

Does the 2HnD mean second hand by chance?

Not second hand, it's just the model no. There are two version RB751's, the "U" and the "G". U is ethernet, G one is gigabit.

http://routerboard.com/RB751U-2HnD
    http://routerboard.com/RB751G-2HnD

Using 2.4Ghz for your "g" devices and limiting your "n" devices to 5.8Ghz would have drastic consequences, 5.8 covers half the distance of 2.4 and doesn't work too well through walls, may not even cover your house. I don't think we have a "g" only device at this stage, all phones and new laptops come with "n" and everything static is cabled

• Advertisement
Advertisement