Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to live in Meath?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello Everyone! :D

Meath is one of the places I have been considering in my move from Canada. I will not be leaving for another one or two years. Are there any places you recommend here?

I have posted in another thread about moving to Ireland and the couple responses I have received are "Do not move here". Haha. So I am hoping for a little more positive feedback because the move is going to happen. I have wanted to live in Ireland since I was a little girl and the Universe is telling me I need to be there too and has been telling me for quite some years now. It is a definite, just having trouble deciding where to settle. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Near to Dublin- Ashbourne, Ratoath, Dunshauglin and Dunboyne all grand. More in the county would say Trim was the best town, loads of nice smaller places to choose from. Have to say regarding Navan or Kells, heard they can be little rough in parts, have never lived in either and not out to insult folks who come from or love their home towns but its just what i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Gotta ask... There are lots of other counties. Why Meath? There are no big towns and the countryside is fairly ordinary by Irish standards. It has a coast but it's very short and overdeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FireFoxglove

Well, for lack of better words, my spidey senses tell me to move there, lol. I doubt it will be permanent, just a starting point. I like moving around a lot. It is adventurous. :p

Meath is just a place I am drawn to on an energy level. I have never even visited Ireland before, just making the plunge. :D I have a few places in mind, but I just want to see what the opinions of the locals are before I ask more specifics.

Also, I am a simple person. I do not care for the big cities. Lived in one my whole life, except for the last two years and I want to keep down sizing on the population aspect, haha. And what locals of the native land call ordinary, I call extraordinary because it is something completely different than what I am use to.

There are lots of things to consider. Work. Transportation. Social life. Scenery. So it's hard to comment without knowing anything about you! Some parts of Meath are handy for commuting to Dublin I'd say that.

As for making the move itself - well I'm an immigrant and I don't think you should underestimate how difficult the jobs market is here. Of course it depends on your own skills/qualifications. The right person could snap up a job like that - but for most it's very tough. Grand place to visit but not to earn a living imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We moved out to Trim in June and have not regretted it for 1 second, place is great.

Nice people, River Boyne running through the centre, Castle and loads of other old shiit (Braveheart was all filmed here), loads of pubs, plenty to do and a great commute to Dublin

http://www.trimtown.com/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Trim. Its the best little town in Ireland. Do a Google Streetview search to see just how beautiful it is!

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    There are lots of things to consider. Work. Transportation. Social life. Scenery. So it's hard to comment without knowing anything about you! Some parts of Meath are handy for commuting to Dublin I'd say that.

As for making the move itself - well I'm an immigrant and I don't think you should underestimate how difficult the jobs market is here. Of course it depends on your own skills/qualifications. The right person could snap up a job like that - but for most it's very tough. Grand place to visit but not to earn a living imho.

Haha. Fair enough. What does one need to know about me to help make me a better fit for a certain city? :D

I do not mind commuting. I kind of figured I would be doing that anyways. I do not drive so I would be relying on your public transit system or I could buy a bike or something.

Not too worried about the job market, I have never had any trouble finding work. What is the unemployment rate like in Meath? What sectors are looking for people? It is kind of hard to do all this research online from another country. :p

scudzilla wrote: »
    We moved out to Trim in June and have not regretted it for 1 second, place is great.

Nice people, River Boyne running through the centre, Castle and loads of other old shiit (Braveheart was all filmed here), loads of pubs, plenty to do and a great commute to Dublin

http://www.trimtown.com/

Trim was definitely one of the places I was considering. Glad to be getting good feedback for it.

I am a sucker for castles and old shiit, hahaha. :D

I guess another important thing to mention is...I would want to be in a place that is more, umm, spiritually open minded? No matter where you go in the world, religion is a touchy subject and I need an open minded place for my spiritual beliefs. :p

I guess another important thing to mention is...I would want to be in a place that is more, umm, spiritually open minded? No matter where you go in the world, religion is a touchy subject and I need an open minded place for my spiritual beliefs. :p

I dont think you'll find anywhere in Meath too "spiritually open". Its about as open, or as hostile, as anywhere else in the western world. Its predominately Catholic, and I'm glad to say Trim has preserved much of the traditional Catholic traditions that have been diluted elsewhere in Ireland (especially Dublin).

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose by spiritually open minded I mean, my beliefs are different and I do not want to be bothered about them. I have encountered my fair share of...individuals in Canada and I just want to be left alone, haha. But you get that anywhere you go and I understand that. Cannot say I know anything about Catholics so I do not know how accepting or not they would be. But again, I imagine that would be on a person by person basis as you cannot really compare a whole to an individual.

I have had a peak at one of your job boards. Looks like Dublin is the place for work. Your job market is 10 times better than where I currently live for my specific qualifications. So what places are within an hour commute (public transit of course) to Dublin? Thanks!

I have had a peak at one of your job boards. Looks like Dublin is the place for work. Your job market is 10 times better than where I currently live for my specific qualifications. So what places are within an hour commute (public transit of course) to Dublin? Thanks!

The 111 bus goes from Trim to Dublin City Centre, takes just under an hour

Is it a pretty popular route? Does it run frequently? Is there a place where I can look up an online bus schedule just to see what it is like? Thanks!

Haha. Fair enough. What does one need to know about me to help make me a better fit for a certain city? :D

I do not mind commuting. I kind of figured I would be doing that anyways. I do not drive so I would be relying on your public transit system or I could buy a bike or something.

Not too worried about the job market, I have never had any trouble finding work. What is the unemployment rate like in Meath? What sectors are looking for people? It is kind of hard to do all this research online from another country. :p

All economic roads lead to Dublin. There's FA work in the likes of Meath. As I've said, I'm an immigrant and I've never known a jobs market like the one in Ireland at the moment - and I doubt it'll pick up anytime soon either. So I'd make some very careful enquiries into this. Even if you see a job you'd be a good fit for there'll probably be loads of other people going for the same position; people that already have experience working in Ireland and don't have to worry about visas and the like!

If you want to see the best of this country you go to the beautiful west coast - that's why virtually all the visitors flock there. But for jobs it's gotta be in and around the Dublin area. Personally if I wanted to have a quiet life but stay within "the Pale" so as to be able to commute I'd plump for Wicklow which has some staggering scenary and is on Dublin's doorstep.

Is it a pretty popular route? Does it run frequently? Is there a place where I can look up an online bus schedule just to see what it is like? Thanks!

Hourly, except between 06:15 & 08:00 when 6 buses go

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702393-111.pdf

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    All economic roads lead to Dublin. There's FA work in the likes of Meath. As I've said, I'm an immigrant and I've never known a jobs market like the one in Ireland at the moment - and I doubt it'll pick up anytime soon either. So I'd make some very careful enquiries into this. Even if you see a job you'd be a good fit for there'll probably be loads of other people going for the same position; people that already have experience working in Ireland and don't have to worry about visas and the like!

If you want to see the best of this country you go to the beautiful west coast - that's why virtually all the visitors flock there. But for jobs it's gotta be in and around the Dublin area. Personally if I wanted to have a quiet life but stay within "the Pale" so as to be able to commute I'd plump for Wicklow which has some staggering scenary and is on Dublin's doorstep.

I am going to try really hard to not sound dumb, haha, but what does FA stand for? And what is "the Pale"? :)

How was it paperwork wise when you moved to Ireland? Was it difficult to get everything in order? I have been doing lots of research on the matter. But it is nice to hear it from someone who has literally gone through the hoops.

Good to know the tourists hang out in the West, I so do not want to live there then. Trying to get away from the mass amounts of people. ;)

I was reading on one of the Irish websites that gives a list of all paperwork you need to move to Ireland, and because I am from Canada it said I do not need to get a Visa. I just have to get an employer to basically be a sponsor for me and file paperwork for me. From what I understand and have read. But I will look more into this.

I shall Google Wicklow and see what you are talking about. :D

Hourly, except between 06:15 & 08:00 when 6 buses go

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702393-111.pdf

If I am reading that bus schedule correctly, it takes an hour from Trim to Dublin? The bus seems to run pretty frequently and early in the morning until late at night which is awesome. :D

Yep, it takes about an hour. The roads are pretty good, and that route is rural, but busy.

The West and Wicklow, and Kerry are full of tourist traps. Trim gets some too, but nothing on the scale of those places.

FA stands for fcuk all, as in "sweet fcuk all"!

The Pale *sigh* - Where to start!
    800 years ago, England invaded Ireland. They set up a perimeter on the East coast, known as "the pale", you know, as in the fence, or the wall. This pale included some of Meath, most of Dublin, and some of Wicklow. Trim Castle was an actual castle on the pale. People on one side of it were english, if you were on the other, you were Irish. In case you ever wondered why england still owns 6 of our counties in the North of the country, well thats how it all started. Anyway, the pale itself is now mostly gone, but the economic and socially cultural differences have kinda remained on. For example, Gaelic (our native language) survived strongest in the West, ie furthest away from the pale, but trade with england grew strongest in the East. Hence why, even today, most jobs are to be found in Dublin.

Hahahah. I love it! FA. You Irish are clever people. :D

Thank you for quickly schooling me on The Pale. The only way to learn about culture is from the people. Reading books only gets you so far. :p

• Advertisement

Wow. Your landscapes and ruins are so spectacular. I do not know how I am ever to decide where to move, haha. I do very much love the look of Trim though and Wicklow is pretty snazzy. Another place I was looking at was Athlone. There are so many adventures I could have in your country. But where to begin! I think I may just have to throw a dart on a map. But I really do like the look of Trim... :p

Wow. Your landscapes and ruins are so spectacular. I do not know how I am ever to decide where to move, haha. I do very much love the look of Trim though and Wicklow is pretty snazzy. Another place I was looking at was Athlone. There are so many adventures I could have in your country. But where to begin! I think I may just have to throw a dart on a map. But I really do like the look of Trim... :p

Trim has a bit of everything. And you're near Tara, Newgrange, Loughcrew, Kells, etc. If you're into ancient Celtic stuff, Meath is the place to be.

newmug wrote: »
    Trim has a bit of everything. And you're near Tara, Newgrange, Loughcrew, Kells, etc. If you're into ancient Celtic stuff, Meath is the place to be.

I think that is exactly why I am drawn to Meath. There is so much history.

One of my favourite stories is the Werewolves of Ossory. I for sure want to go and find the place where the story is said to have happened. Quite fascinating! :D

I really do appreciate all the time you all are taking to help me out here. This thread is by far the most positive feedback I have gotten about moving to your country. So I am very grateful for the kindness. :D

I just googled it there.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/talk/banshees/werewolf.shtm

I cant say I've ever heard that story before:p

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Yeh Meath! Place to be..

Altho make sure meath is the place you really want to live. Dont just move here for the few smelly old medievil castles and mounds, youl get bored of them after a few weeks and youl be stuck stuck here. Its boring and there really isnt anything to do.

Navan is the largest town in meath and its a dive, quite literaly nothin of any interest goes on there, oh and trim really isnt any better.. And when i say nothing goes on there i mean NOTHING! Its a dead commuter town.

Now Galway.. Move there, it has soo much irish heritage locked away in the county, gorgeous scenery and buildings.

Also.. Like who doesnt like going to Galway??!! Its awesome, great night life and always a great atmosphere around the town.. If i could get a job down there, id move down there in a flash!

newmug wrote: »
    I just googled it there.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/talk/banshees/werewolf.shtm

I cant say I've ever heard that story before:p

It is an awesome story. But I am totally into werewolves so there are many things I have read on the matter, haha.

Akarinn wrote: »
    Yeh Meath! Place to be..

Altho make sure meath is the place you really want to live. Dont just move here for the few smelly old medievil castles and mounds, youl get bored of them after a few weeks and youl be stuck stuck here. Its boring and there really isnt anything to do.
    !

Complete and utter bollox

We joined the Trim Drama Group and are busy 2 nights a week, loads more things like that to join and participate in.

Pubs are great here too

Akarinn wrote: »
    Yeh Meath! Place to be..

Navan is the largest town in meath and its a dive, quite literaly nothin of any interest goes on there, oh and trim really isnt any better.. And when i say nothing goes on there i mean NOTHING! Its a dead commuter town.

Now Galway.. Move there, it has soo much irish heritage locked away in the county, gorgeous scenery and buildings.

Also.. Like who doesnt like going to Galway??!! Its awesome, great night life and always a great atmosphere around the town.. If i could get a job down there, id move down there in a flash!

It is all good. I am easily entertained so I can always manage to find something to do.

I suppose it all depends on one's view of what is interesting and entertaining. Not into the whole night life thing. I did that in college and got my share of partying in, lol. So generally I just like to chill out these days. A cardboard box could entertain me, haha. So I am really not worried about finding things to do. Besides, no place could be more boring than where I live currently and I manage to not go crazy. :p

But I will most definitely see what Galway is all about and add it to my travel list. But my heart is set on living in Meath. :D

• Advertisement

Complete and utter bollox

We joined the Trim Drama Group and are busy 2 nights a week, loads more things like that to join and participate in.

Pubs are great here too

Is there somewhere I can look on the internet to find what sorts of groups and clubs are in Meath?

Advertisement