Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to live in Meath?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

We joined the Trim Drama Group and are busy 2 nights a week, loads more things like that to join and participate in.

Yeh... That would make anybody wanna move to trim -.-

Pffft drama group..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FireFoxglove

OMG. Spirits of Meath Hallowe'en festival...so jealous! Have any of you been to that?

Akarinn wrote: »

Pffft drama group..

I would totally go! :D

• Advertisement

Unfortunatly.. Yes :p

Hah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pffft drama group..

you stick to Skyrim then while others enjoy the real world :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

How was it paperwork wise when you moved to Ireland? Was it difficult to get everything in order? I have been doing lots of research on the matter. But it is nice to hear it from someone who has literally gone through the hoops.

Nah, I'm an EU citizen so can move around freely.
    Good to know the tourists hang out in the West, I so do not want to live there then. Trying to get away from the mass amounts of people. ;)

Hmm, nice, interesting places attract people. The mundane doesn't. The thing is to find a balance between an overdeveloped tourist ridden trap and the humdrum. West coast counties like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal for example don't sell themselves in the way that others do and yet all have an abundance of charm. I don't see how even the most ardent Meath man or woman working for the Meath tourist board can promote the county over the likes of these. Meath sells itself on heritage but surely a few prehistoric sites can only hold interest for so long!
    newmug wrote: »
    In case you ever wondered why england still owns 6 of our counties in the North of the country, well thats how it all started.

They voted out. Northern Ireland is a seperate state that is part of a union. Let them go...
    scudzilla wrote: »
    We joined the Trim Drama Group and are busy 2 nights a week, loads more things like that to join and participate in.

Pubs are great here too

It's true, there's the usual stuff to do. But the same could be said of anywhere, any county. It's more a case of defining what makes Meath special. For a visitor it doesn't have the pull that other counties have - there's no sense denying it. There's a recent thread that's been started where someone has asked what there is do here...no replies as yet. I rest my case.

Moving to Ireland from Canada seems fairly mad. Having such a focus on Meath is a little peculiar. But whatever floats your boat... :cool:

Haha. About 95% of you think I am mad for wanting to move. But the irony is, I think the very same of any of you wanting to move here. So I suppose we are square then, haha. :p

I have no idea why I am so into Meath. I am drawn there. It is an intuitive thing. And every time I have followed my intuition it has always led me to where I need to be in life. So I cannot go wrong. It has worked for my whole life this way so I will continue to do it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

It could be worse. You could have a thing for Offaly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

I have no idea why I am so into Meath. I am drawn there. It is an intuitive thing. And every time I have followed my intuition it has always led me to where I need to be in life. So I cannot go wrong. It has worked for my whole life this way so I will continue to do it. :D

Wanna do a house swap? Mine in Trim for yours in Nanaimo?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 confusedlad

NAVAN
    were the men are real men
    and the sheep are nervous

NAVAN
    were the men are real men
    and the sheep are nervous

All I can say to this is...hahahahaha. Gave me a good chuckle. :D

Mr Grumpy wrote: »
    Wanna do a house swap? Mine in Trim for yours in Nanaimo?
    I rent an apartment. But if I had a house, I would so be down for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

I rent an apartment. But if I had a house, I would so be down for that. :)

Pity - looking to move to Vancouver or VI.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd suggest you take a holiday in Ireland first and check out some of the places. You could visit a few of the spots that interest you. It's a big commitment making such a move, and no doubt you'll get people wondering why you want to move from Canada to Ireland when most people are moving the other way. Check out the jobs market while you are here also, just to be sure that you could find work. It's hard to believe that Ireland could offer better job prospects than anywhere else at the moment.

How are you with **** weather by the way? That's probably one of the biggest downsides to Ireland tbh. If we had proper seasons rather than one general season, it would really help!! :) Summer just means that the rain is a bit warmer, and the days are a bit brighter.

As for religious/spirituality stuff - Ireland is pretty secular these days, and nobody is going to bat an eyelid regarding your beliefs/lack of beliefs, unless you start sacrificing lambs in your front garden or something. :D Seriously though, some people would have you believe that we are still a religious backwater where everyone would point at the non-Catholic, but that is pure crap - don't believe a word of it.

By the way, whoever suggests there's nothing to do in Trim obviously hasn't been here long, as there's tons of stuff to do. There's much more of a community here than there was in the place I used to live in Dublin. For me, Trim is a great balance of a nice sized heritage town with plenty to do, but still within an easy commute to Dublin for work, visiting family etc.. I was looking for a town like this within an hour of Dublin, and nowhere else came close tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeh Meath! Place to be..

Altho make sure meath is the place you really want to live. Dont just move here for the few smelly old medievil castles and mounds, youl get bored of them after a few weeks and youl be stuck stuck here. Its boring and there really isnt anything to do.

Navan is the largest town in meath and its a dive, quite literaly nothin of any interest goes on there, oh and trim really isnt any better.. And when i say nothing goes on there i mean NOTHING! Its a dead commuter town.

Now Galway.. Move there, it has soo much irish heritage locked away in the county, gorgeous scenery and buildings.

Also.. Like who doesnt like going to Galway??!! Its awesome, great night life and always a great atmosphere around the town.. If i could get a job down there, id move down there in a flash!

Hey Navan is not a dive! It's a great town with even better people living in it. Plenty to do it depends on what your interests are though.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'd suggest you take a holiday in Ireland first and check out some of the places. You could visit a few of the spots that interest you. It's a big commitment making such a move, and no doubt you'll get people wondering why you want to move from Canada to Ireland when most people are moving the other way. Check out the jobs market while you are here also, just to be sure that you could find work. It's hard to believe that Ireland could offer better job prospects than anywhere else at the moment.

How are you with **** weather by the way? That's probably one of the biggest downsides to Ireland tbh. If we had proper seasons rather than one general season, it would really help!! :) Summer just means that the rain is a bit warmer, and the days are a bit brighter.

As for religious/spirituality stuff - Ireland is pretty secular these days, and nobody is going to bat an eyelid regarding your beliefs/lack of beliefs, unless you start sacrificing lambs in your front garden or something. :D Seriously though, some people would have you believe that we are still a religious backwater where everyone would point at the non-Catholic, but that is pure crap - don't believe a word of it.

By the way, whoever suggests there's nothing to do in Trim obviously hasn't been here long, as there's tons of stuff to do. There's much more of a community here than there was in the place I used to live in Dublin. For me, Trim is a great balance of a nice sized heritage town with plenty to do, but still within an easy commute to Dublin for work, visiting family etc.. I was looking for a town like this within an hour of Dublin, and nowhere else came close tbh.

You know, lots of people are recommending the trip first. Which I agree is practical, but damn, it lacks spontaneity and adventure! I am at an age where I have no ties, no commitments and I can do all the crazy sh!t I like. Although, I do not think moving to Ireland is crazy, but all you folks do, haha. :p

Weather. Ha! You have never been to Nanaimo I bet. Very much like Ireland. We are kind of like a rainforest over here. Rains everyday when it is not summer. And even this year it rained for most of it. Lots of grey skies. It gets damp and cold here in winter. We get wet snow/slush/sludge/ice. Granted, our winds are not like yours. So I reckon that would be interesting for me.

Well that's good. Because it is very obvious I am not Catholic. I don't mind being pointed at so long as it wasn't followed by thrown objects. :p

Glad to hear about Trim. It seems to be winning lots of votes. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the internet that it was on Ireland's Top 10 list of places to live. :D

No worries. I am aware of the battle of the North and South and I have absolutely no desire to stick my nose in any of it. Not my country, not my place to comment, not my business.

And it is not an if I will live there. It is a when. Time is the only thing up for question in the matter. Well, and where. That's a big part too. :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pauvre Con and newmug's comments deleted. Any more off topic arguing and there will be bans. This is not a Politics forum, nor is it After Hours.

This is about Good places to live in Meath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement