Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I DID SOMETHING I'D NEVER DONE BEFORE....

• 08-10-2012 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I have my motorbike over five and a half years now and it's only recently that I rode pillion on my own bike. I have to admit it felt weird to be sitting on the back but I also got a real buzz from it too. The guy driving it is handy enough on a bike. I just thought it odd that I'd never even done it before let alone think about it. So, this may be a silly question but have any of ye ridden pillion on yer own bikes and did ye like it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I did. My dad had to drop off a car, so I followed him on the bike and he drove it home since I'm not allowed, or comfortable enough to take pillions. I hated it though. I've been on the back of more bikes than I can even remember, and my dad has been driving bikes forever, so it had nothing to do with that. It was the actual bike. Pillion seat is too high and it's also tiny. Nothing to hold onto at the back. Footpegs not in the best position, and the fact that it's only a 125, it wasnt built for two people, so the power was seriously lacking. Also factoring in that the bike was lowered, the belly was scraping over ramps too. Overall a terrible experience that I never wish to repeat. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Have done it once on my CB and it felt weird. The seat felt really low and I just couldn't get into that right position on the seat. The bike also felt tiny, I felt I could've driven the bike myself from the pillion seat. I'm used to riding pillion on sportsbikes (although haven't done that in ages) so that probably had something to do with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not on my current bike but did it a few times on the moped I had in my teens. Always with my dad riding and usually out to collect his car/bike after a night on the piss somewhere! I'd have been on a provisional at the time and therefore not insured to carry a pillion.

Never been pillion with anyone other than Dad and never would be able to trust someone enough! Particularly with my bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never been pillion on my own bike. But many years ago my brother, who was couriering at the time, gave me a lift to work. Took about 10 minutes to get from Ballinteer to the city centre.

When I got off I was shaking and pure white and vowed never to go pillion again, it's too risky as I don't know how to ride as a pillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Never pillion on my own bike and dont plan to be:P Years ago my bro had a 80cc Suzuki and he took me for a spin out the M50. I thought nothing of it at the time ( I was in my late teens ) but Christ we both just had a helmet for protection:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Been on the back of my SV a couple of times, pretty decent pillion set-up imo, decent grab rail and a large enough seat. Have been on an ER6 brifely and a gsxr 600 a good few times, that's pretty poor, you can only fit one hand under the strap and it's between your knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm a very comfortable passenger, luckily. Been pillion on my own bike a couple of times alright.

On a related note, I had my uncle ride pillion with me at the weekend. I was so chuffed he asked me because he always says he's a nervous passenger. He told me afterwards that he reckons it was the late eighties or early nineties when he last rode pillion. I was actually pretty touched that he trusted me that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never been comfortable as a pillion, might have a few trust issues, TBH I reckon you're either built to be on the back or on the front.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 varadamo

well i was a pillion on my own bike before i owned it !
    seller met me near home and dropped me home to do paperwork - back of a blackbird and i didnt know the rider - didnt like that at all .
    Seems to me that most riders dont like to be on the back of any bike -especially your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

varadamo wrote: »
    Seems to me that most riders dont like to be on the back of any bike -especially your own

The way I see it is that motorcycling is dangerous enough, no point in putting my life in someone else's hands. That and the fact I'm not built for sitting on pillion seats, too much weight in the wrong place on a bike and me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Yeah I've been pillion on my bike loads of times. Was weird at first but then i thought, meh its better than walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

ive been pillion a few times on others bikes and once on my own bike, it didn't bother me much (except for i found how hard the olhins shock is as a passenger!)

but the people driving the bikes in question were all much more experienced so i had more confidence in there ability on the bike than my own, i reckon i would be a bad passenger if i didn't have that confidence in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There are very very few people I would get on the back of a bike with TBH, would really have to know them. Not too fond of giving pillions either unless the passenger is a rider also makes it alot more easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I was on the back of my own bike (ZX9) one day when Derek from Dogs Box Motorbikes was riding it, we were going up to his shop. I have to say, never again!! I didn't like it at all. I had a lot more respect for my missus from then on as she spends a lot of time on the back of my bike when she's not on her own. Like the previous poster said, it's better to have a pillion who rides but it's not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its been twenty odd years since I was a pillion on a bike, and tbh I don't think I could do it now.

I've no pillion seat or foot rests so I don't have to worry about carrying anyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i've been pillion twice
    hate it cant believe people do it

the mrs has a bike but sometimes she goes on the back of mine
    i don't mind taking her but find it hard to believe someone would choose
    if i broke down i'd rather walk then get on the back

Advertisement