Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious router performance issue

• 08-10-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Right...

My desktop running Windows 7 connected directly to a Zyxel P-660HW-D1 router runs dog slow [from a connectivity perspective]. Even the lightest browsing strains the leash that tethers one to sanity, e.g. gmail is barely usable, actually it's not usable.

Can ping the 192etc address from PC without losing packets

My laptop running Windows 7 connected via wireless to same router runs absolutely fine.

If I copy a file from laptop to PC it's very very slow as well. 25k-30k (!) per sec. 700mb file was going to take 8 hours before I elected to terminate the process.

It worked fine before. Obviously I did something unwise on the router, couldn't tell you what that might be.

No bit-torrent etc. is running on the PC/Laptop.

Any ideas as to what it might be? Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Are you connected via Ethernet cable or WiFi to your router, and are your ping packets being sent/received in a timely manner (Wired LAN is usually 0-1ms)?

You should consider doing a hard reset if you haven't tried that already. Make sure to take note of the important settings, like your ADSL connection's username and password, port forwards, etc., before you do so.

If all that doesn't give you an improvement, maybe try another router (beg, borrow, steal from family, friends, or neighbors) and see if that works out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Reinstall your appropriate LAN drivers. Not just the ones Windows 7 installed by default.

Find your specific LAN driver from your motherboard manufacturer and install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I'd say replace the router or at least try something like an old netopia in its place as a test.

Reason I'm saying that is that I spent 2 hours a couple of days ago with the same model router with almost exactly the same problem. Annoying thing was if you plugged it out at the mains adaptor and plugged it back in again it worked fine for about 5 minutes which masked the problem for a bit.

btw OP don't forget to write down of find out the your username and password for the internet connection before you try a reset ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brianorb

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer advice. ;)

I am convinced it's a router issue because:

I connected the laptop via ethernet and it experienced the same poor performance levels. This effectively eliminates the PC's network card as being an issue.

I reset the router to factory default [I saved off the router settings to the PC first, there's an option to do so]. This - most likely - eliminates router settings as an issue. No joy. I'm getting speeds of a truly mind boggling 35k per second download.

It's possible it's the ethernet cable, so I'll change that next after I source one.

Again - thanks for your advice.

Max speed on the router I replaced was 40Kbps but the replacement changed that back to over 6Mbps (iirc on an 8Mbps vodafone connection).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brianorb

Did you purchase the router yourself, or did Vodafone replace it?

brianorb wrote: »
    Did you purchase the router yourself, or did Vodafone replace it?

It wasn't for me it was for a mate of mine and he just gave me the cash to go out and get a replacement. I think he had asked vodafone if they would replace a he told me vodafone had a special offer on and a new one was only €80. I picked up a decent ASUS one off the shelf for €59.99.

Advertisement