Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp on roof

• 08-10-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've noticed several dark mouldy damp patches on the bedroom roof, they've appreared gradually over the past few weeks. I've had to repaint the bathroom roof during the summer as repeated cleaning of the same type patches had stripped the paint off it. The patches in the bathroom appeared because of the steam from the shower and lack of extractor fan, but I'm wondering would this also be the cause of the problem with the bedroom (next door to bathroom) or could it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I assume you have ruled out an external roof leak or blocked gutters.
    From what you describe, the black on the ceilings is mould caused by high levels of moisture in the internal air over a period of time. This mould can show up in any room especially on the north and east side of the house, in corners or behind furniture. The only way to manage it is to improve the ventilation and heating in the house. Also check the insulation in the attic and make sure there are no gaps in the insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Marsden wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've noticed several dark mouldy damp patches on the bedroom roof, they've appreared gradually over the past few weeks. I've had to repaint the bathroom roof during the summer as repeated cleaning of the same type patches had stripped the paint off it. The patches in the bathroom appeared because of the steam from the shower and lack of extractor fan, but I'm wondering would this also be the cause of the problem with the bedroom (next door to bathroom) or could it be something else?

Similar situation going on here, north facing bedroom, plenty of ventilation - vent from extractor fan, vent in bedroom itself and both windows in en suite and bedrom are left ajar most days of the week, insulation checked in attic and all seems ok there. 4/5 spots on the ceiling starting to mould. It's driving me nuts, even mould starting on the ceiling where the internal partition wall where it meets the ceiling.

:confused::confused:

Any answers or help for me? house only few years old.

PS - sorry Marsden, don't mean to hijack your thread hoping we can get this going so that we can both benefit from answers.

Advertisement