Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Toilets in Dublin - Irish Times Makes a joke

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Scortho wrote: »
    The best examples of public jacks are the ones in Paris.

http://www.etravelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/public-toilets-Paris.jpg

one of these in greystones, I was told it wasn't working correctly, nothing to clean up after yourself.
    Surely they cost a bit, automated and all, Staffed toilets must be the way to go, a bloody machine cant clean up as well or tell if the bog roll has run out, or replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Scortho wrote: »
    The best examples of public jacks are the ones in Paris.

As far as I remember They're run by JCDecaux.

While the Dublin Bikes deal means that we cant really offer them anymore billboard advertising, would it be possible to use the exterior of these toilets as a form of advertising? Especially with them located in the main thoroughfares of the capital, you could have a massive amount of people walking by your add everyday.

The ones that are in Paris are small enough that they can be located on the actual streets and not underground yet big enough to have a significantly large add attached.

http://www.etravelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/public-toilets-Paris.jpg

Used to be one of those on Burgh Quay beside O'Connell Bridge in the mid 90's IIRC.They always seemed to be out of service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mmcn90 wrote: »
    This? Pretty sure thats a pumping station. Says access is required 24hrs, and dcc are always there.

yeah but im nearly sure it was once a public toilet, now converted. look at the ens of the building at the bus stop

what about the electricity sub station at the bus stop at the start of the malahide road? i always wonder was it a toilet at one stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

there were toilets red brick ones in mountjoy square park up until a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Jervis, free and clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like to go upstairs in Brown Thomas, those are some posh bogs.

In fairness, you can understand why businesses expect people to buy a product they supply if they are availing of other services for which they pay in any circumstances.
    Its a cop out and it certainly doesn't look good from a tourism perspective for DCC IMO, although i expect most tourists will be purchasing food.
    On the other hand the facilities that (tourists and locals) people have to put up with from some businesses that supply food and drink are pretty appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Someone needs to put up a web guide and app showing available Dublin loos.

We could also have reviews in the style of Tripadvisor or Menupages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Bathrooms that I use in town are:

McDonalds on Grafton and O'Connell Street.
    O'Neills on Suffolk Street.
    Downstairs in the Arts building in Trinity off Nassau Street.
    Porterhouse on Nassau Street.
    Screen Cinema on Hawkins Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

I'm more offended by how shit a joke it was.

I'm a McDonalds-on-Grafton-Street man, myself!

It's the Ilac centre for me. Or if I am feeling posh , I'll hit Jervis.

If I'm caught out on the South siode I'll go to Stephens Green although they charge you 15 cent per visit the bastages.

• Advertisement

They could turn them into little businesses, like on the Continent. Lease them out, put a lady there, keep it spotlessly clean and charge 50c or a €1 a go. Keep them safe, well lit and no messing.

Problem solved, amenity provided and more employment created!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Myself and the other half were in Venice a few years ago, there were public toilets but not too many of them. However they were easy enough to find as there were signs leading to them. The other half used one and I think he said it cost €2.

Still there have been times I was in Dublin city and would have paid that and more! Particularly on the long walk to Croker from wherever we got off the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have spent some time in Krakow and Kielce in Poland, and there are plenty of public loos - all charge a small fee and have a low paid, low skill, worker keeping them in order.

To me this is an excellent model. I believe €2 is a totally fair price for using a well maintained, clean and supervised loo and Dublin should put these in place asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We had to move our door to avoid sharing a door with another office who dealt with the public....you really do not want the general public near your toilet...

Piliger wrote: »
    I have spent some time in Krakow and Kielce in Poland, and there are plenty of public loos - all charge a small fee and have a low paid, low skill, worker keeping them in order.

To me this is an excellent model. I believe €2 is a totally fair price for using a well maintained, clean and supervised loo and Dublin should put these in place asap.

Compared to other countries I have been, I think 50cent or maybe a euro would be a fair price,
    definitely attended over automated.
    Not sure where the jump to 2 euro is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor, I have always wondered what the building is that you call the second toilet in harolds cross park. on the park side it is just a tiled shell

This is the other side. The seems to be a bit too well built to be a simple shelter, especially with the tiled floor and walls.

I had thought it had the marks from where cubicle dividers had once been, but I must gave been thinking of another building.

Finding some old maps with greater detail might reveal something.

There had been a fish pound where the current maintenance buildings are: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714652,731809,7,9

Merch wrote: »
    Compared to other countries I have been, I think 50cent or maybe a euro would be a fair price,
    definitely attended over automated.
    Not sure where the jump to 2 euro is from.

I am just saying that if the issue is a funding one ... and money is so scarce for councils ... then if €2 would fund the toilets ... then I believe it is a fair price for a clean, well maintained and supervised service.

I am just saying that if the issue is a funding one ... and money is so scarce for councils ... then if €2 would fund the toilets ... then I believe it is a fair price for a clean, well maintained and supervised service.

Id rather buy a burger for a euro and use those facilities
    or hold on :)
    But I think thats what DCC is relying on/prefers.
    If funding is so much an issue 1 euro extra wont make a difference.
    Id suggest the fee is a nominal charge to maintain facilities/subsidise attendant pay, not set up the facility.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they are talking about this on Newstalk at the moment

Merch wrote: »
    Id rather buy a burger for a euro and use those facilities
    or hold on :)
    But I think thats what DCC is relying on/prefers.
    If funding is so much an issue 1 euro extra wont make a difference.
    Id suggest the fee is a nominal charge to maintain facilities/subsidise attendant pay, not set up the facility.

Hundreds of people visiting a well maintained, supervised loo each day is a lot of money. Paying a salary for attendants working shifts to cover opening hours for multiple public loos across a city is a lot of money.

€1 makes a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

its a real shame that we have no facilities.
    the scheme outlined is a nice idea, but im fairly sure that the public urination problem is not that much of a problem during business hours.

pub closing time, or people moving between pubs and getting caught short would be the big culprits.

to me this just seems like PR, as stated above most places will let regualr folk use the toilets. there are also plenty of facilities in shopping centres & hotels.

the problem is at night when safe, easily accessible and plentiful on street facilities are whats needed. surely there are some economies of scale in the pissoirs, and the council does not have a flat rate of 25k pa per unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarahc6967

I think that the main problem with the lack of toilets is men pissing on the street if there were public toilets this would be less likely to happen, and I think expecting pubs to allow people to wander in off the street to use the toilet without buying anything and them having to pay cleaning staff etc.. is unreasonable. So I think the DCC will have to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely the solution is the opposite, people are urinating in the street because of the excess drink plied on them by publicans.

So pubs should be a big part of the solution.

Hundreds of people visiting a well maintained, supervised loo each day is a lot of money. Paying a salary for attendants working shifts to cover opening hours for multiple public loos across a city is a lot of money.

€1 makes a huge difference.

So, we're in agreement :), I think it makes a huge difference too

just not to setting up and paying staff. I suggest its a necessary facility to be provided and for once can people not be shafted on the cost? :)
    subway wrote: »
    to me this just seems like PR, as stated above most places will let regualr folk use the toilets. there are also plenty of facilities in shopping centres & hotels.

I've gotten a few dirty stares for doing so, if you were out and had a few drinks later on, try getting back in somewhere just for a leak!

irishbird wrote: »
    they are talking about this on Newstalk at the moment

what was the conclusion?

Advertisement