Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you consider to be Irish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,194 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Iri Sham just wants be Irisher than OP. Failing at that....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The O.P is Irish in my opinion.

I was born in England to Irish parents. I have an Irish passport and I've lived in Ireland since I was two. Would you consider me to be English or Irish?

I consider myself Irish. Apart from my birth certificate, nothing indicates anything English about me.

Me too.

I would have been born here had an Irish government ever made the effort in real job creation instead of taking the easy way out and promoting mass-emigration (like they're continuing to do even now).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

joolsveer wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this survey?

I'd be very interested to see this survey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Given that Ireland was uninhabited until 10k years ago you could say we are all descended form immigrants of one form or another. Of course 70% of Irishmen are descended from one man who probably lived on the continent during the Bronze age (1700-2000BC).

As for OP he sounds pretty Irish to me, the important thing is he himself identifies as Irish. In his case he's just of Indian extraction, just as someone bearing surname Fitzgearld is Irish of say French (Norman) extraction.

As for people born abroad of Irish parents/grandparents. In my opinion they are ethnically Irish. You can't tell me that someone born in the US with four Irish grandparents isn't Irish but his/her 1st cousin born in Dublin is Irish. I do think there is a trend in this country to ignore those born abroad to Irish emigrants and to claim "oh they aren't Irish they are x" (nationality of country of birth) -- which is wrong if you ask me, especially when said people often identify strongly as been Irish. I do wonder if it's part of a larger "mental block" by which we disassociate with those who emigrate as in sense it's assumed that emigration implies a failure of society etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The O.P is Irish in my opinion.

I was born in England to Irish parents. I have an Irish passport and I've lived in Ireland since I was two. Would you consider me to be English or Irish?

I consider myself Irish. Apart from my birth certificate, nothing indicates anything English about me.

The OP is Irish, you are not.

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    The OP is Irish, you are not.

That makes absolutely no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I wonder where the Irish soccer team would be if some of the above definitions were enforced.

I wonder where the Irish soccer team would be if some of the above definitions were enforced.

They'd still be on the first plane home.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Couldn't be any worse tbh! Boom boom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

San Marino!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

IrishAm wrote: »
    You are Indian, breh.

You are as Irish as I am Indian.

In 2001, a study was conducted and it concluded that ninety per cent of Irish people were direct ancestors from original inhabitants of these islands.

Deal with it.

Citizenship means the square root of foooook all. I have American citizenship. Does that make me indigenous to America?

Hell, no.

Thats the red mans land.

See again, the mistake you're making is that you're categorizing only people of Irish ancestry as Irish. Let me ask you this. Obama has Irish ancestry. As far as I know, he has no native American ancestry, so is he Irish or American ??

As someone mentioned before, this is an island, and was therefore uninhabited up until 10k years ago. Which means that if you go way back, you are most likely to be originally French or Norman ancestry, or maybe British, I don't know. But the point is unlike countries like France, there are no strictly indigenous/original people from Ireland. The only thing making you more Irish than me is that your family has been here thousands of years, where as mine has only been two decades. But in 8000 years from now, my descendants will be exactly as Irish as you.

Sorry man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

anishboi wrote: »
    You are Indian, breh.

You are as Irish as I am Indian.

In 2001, a study was conducted and it concluded that ninety per cent of Irish people were direct ancestors from original inhabitants of these islands.

Deal with it.

Citizenship means the square root of foooook all. I have American citizenship. Does that make me indigenous to America?

Hell, no.

Thats the red mans land.

See again, the mistake you're making is that you're categorizing only people of Irish ancestry as Irish. Let me ask you this. Obama has Irish ancestry. As far as I know, he has no native American ancestry, so is he Irish or American ??

As someone mentioned before, this is an island, and was therefore uninhabited up until 10k years ago. Which means that if you go way back, you are most likely to be originally French or Norman ancestry, or maybe British, I don't know. But the point is unlike countries like France, there are no strictly indigenous/original people from Ireland. The only thing making you more Irish than me is that your family has been here thousands of years, where as mine has only been two decades. But in 8000 years from now, my descendants will be exactly as Irish as you.

Sorry man
    silly .of course your not irish..your indian just like your folks...if my missus went to india to work or whatever and had my child..would it be indian?no.it would just happen to have been irish child born in india...embrace your indian culture enjoy it ..they are wonderful race..as we are..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I miss Marchdub.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Maudi wrote: »
    silly .of course your not irish..your indian just like your folks...if my missus went to india to work or whatever and had my child..would it be indian?no.it would just happen to have been irish child born in india...embrace your indian culture enjoy it ..they are wonderful race..as we are..

If the child is born, goes to school,speaks the language,absorbs the culture,plays the sport,has learnt the history,watches the movies..etc..etc how on earth would the child be Irish?

The first bold bit is more than "silly", and as for the second bold bit, I've never seen anything so patronising.

dubhthach wrote: »

I'll explain. The OP is born in Ireland, therefore Irish. Mars Bar in born in England, therefore English.

That's another thing entirely. To qualify to play for a country you do not have to be from that country. Other countries have naturalised citizens too. It doesn't mean they are Italian, or whatever. Take Comoranesi, or Amauri, and Argentine and Brazilian respectively. They are not Italian, but qualify according to an ad hoc set of rules set by a football association.

kneemos wrote: »

If the child is born, goes to school,speaks the language,absorbs the culture,plays the sport,has learnt the history,watches the movies..etc..etc how on earth would the child be Irish?
    im not quite sure what your trying to say ..

I'll explain. The OP is born in Ireland, therefore Irish. Mars Bar in born in England, therefore English.

Mars Bar has two Irish parents and moved to Ireland when he was two and carries an Irish passport. The fact alone that both his parents are Irish makes him both ethnically Irish as well as legally Irish (under citizenship laws) which would explain why he has an Irish passport. Unless I'm wrong other then the fact he was born a couple hundred miles east of us he doesn't have any English ancestry.

Stop trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar has two Irish parents and moved to Ireland when she was two and carries an Irish passport. The fact alone that both his parents are Irish makes him both ethnically Irish as well as legally Irish (under citizenship laws) which would explain why he has an Irish passport. Unless I'm wrong other then the fact he was born a couple hundred miles east of us he doesn't have any English ancestry.

;)

I find it odd that mitosis would regard me as English full stop. If I was offered to represent England or Ireland tomorrow for some reason, there'd be no doubt in my mind that I'd be choosing Ireland.

Stop trolling.
    lol more back seat modding..cheek of you! accusing me.you just keep thinking outside those envelopes..f.e.

Stop trolling.
    lol more back seat modding..cheek of you! accusing me.you just keep thinking outside those envelopes..f.e.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Mmm... So if an Irish couple went to Paris, let's say, for a weekend break, while the wife was pregnant. She unexpectantly gives birth in Paris then goes back to Ireland a few days later with hubby & bub. Under your reasoning, the baby is French???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,194 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have American citizenship. Does that make me indigenous to America? Hell, no.

That's the red mans land.
    Careful now.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Esel wrote: »
    Careful now.

Absolutely, I meant to reply to this as well, but Europeans were, rather ARE the oldest and therefore, so far, the FIRST settlers of North America ~ though their early attempts ended in tragedy and they did not survive, they predate the Indian arrival by a thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I'd consider you to be Irish.

gbee wrote: »
    Absolutely, I meant to reply to this as well, but Europeans were, rather ARE the oldest and therefore, so far, the FIRST settlers of North America ~ though their early attempts ended in tragedy and they did not survive, they predate the Indian arrival by a thousand years.
    when did the Europeans first settle America?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

You going to answer the question put to you? Im Irish. If my Irish wife is pregnant and gives birth prematurely/unexpectedly in Madrid while away on business, is our baby Spanish?

These race debates attract some characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

slowburner wrote: »
    I miss Marchdub.

+1. Strange, I was thnking the very same.

Advertisement