Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in job description?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me on where i stand on the following. Currently work as a stores manager in a small but busy warehouse. The boss has decided to take on a new contract which is in no way related to our current business and wants me to be trained up to work in this new venture along with doing my current job. I have no interest in getting "trained up" in this new venture as its a totally different job and not one that i want to work in. Can i ask to be made redundant or can i refuse to be trained up for this business which has nothing to do with what my work contract states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You could only be made redundant if your current role no longer exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Wouldn't see the problem if I was getting extra money for doing more work. Ask for more money.Believe me that the boss will happily let you go and have a thousand C.Vs to look through the following week if you are unhappy. Try and get a pay rise and be happy you have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

If there are significant changes to your contract of employment, then your employer must seek your agreement to the changes. However, in this climate, refusing extra traning which will increase your skill set would be foolish and could result in you being managed out.

Rather than approach this in the manner you are currently doing, why not discuss your concerns with your manager.
    Ask yourself - why are you against this change?
    Are you worried that you will have extra work for no extra money?
    are you worried this will result in additional stress upon you?
    are you worried that you might not be up to the job?
    are you afraid of taking on the extra responsibility for some reason?
    is it that you just don't want to do the new duties cos you'd prefer not to?

Once you know what it is that is bothering you about the role you can then approach your boss and discuss these issues. If it is any of the first four, then if you are both willing surely a compromise can be made - such as increased wages, or perhaps an extra headcount elsewhere to free up time so you can take up the new duties, perhaps agree on if I get this up and running and don't like it, can I then train someone else up and return to my previous role etc etc. There is lots of scope to negotiate if you approach it right.

If it is the last one then I am sorry to say but you need to wake up and realise that opportunities to improve yourself don't come along everyday for most people, and you are foolish to be so set in your ways.

Taking on new business can only benefit everyone in the long run if it means more stability or revenue for the company. Do you really want to be the fly in the ointment?

Look at the positives of this situation - obviously your boss feels that you will be up to the task, and trusts you with the new role. He is making your contribution central to the success of this new contract. See it as an opportunity to make yourself indespensible (or at least really really useful, moreso than others) and use that to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would agree with the above post. You need to ask yourself why you are unwilling to be trained up for this new area of business your boss has taken on?
    Is it that you that you think you will be unable for the job?
    Is it because you don't want to do further training?
    Do you think that your boss whats you to do the work of 2 people for your current salary?

If you know that the new work your boss has taken on will mean that you will have to be in 2 places at the one time I would say something like this to your boss - I would like to learn more about /// but could I train up ( one of your co workers) to replace me when I am doing this for you. This is will show your boss your keen on the new project but your not letting you present post suffer. Your letting them know that you want to prevent problems before they happen.
    If your taking on more work I would ask your boss for a rise in salary.

I would also think from the companies point of view the new thing your boss is planning could keep you in a job and keep other people working also.
    One company I knew were doing one business for years. About 10 years ago they saw a gap in the market and started to do expand into another area. At this stage the this area is keeping the business open.

Advertisement